Did you have to TREAT STAPH INFECTION ever Any natural ways that work?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. suncat profile image60
    suncatposted 13 years ago

hubpages.com/question/114075/have-you-ever-had-to-treat-staph-infection-any-natural-remedies-what-works

I asked a question there, but you can only answer a question once. So i'm posting this here now.

1. canadawest99 profile image60
      canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

A staph infection isn't something to be messed around with.   Best to see a doctor and get some anti-biotics instead of looking for home made cures.

2. suncat profile image60
      suncatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this is the extras:

The person is female, 23 y.o. She has redish skin between the buttoks going to the front. The dr said the bacteria may be in the nose but cause problems elsewhere. Prescribed altabax to put on the rim of the nostrils. The altabax co says not to put it in the nose, but this is putting it close to the inside of nose so not sure if she should do it.
      She did apply the cream to the buttoks before also.

Would like to not overuse antibiotics, she took it twice over the last two month. Any natural sure ways?

3. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah...by dying.

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

depends where exactly the infection is. I would try either a hot compress of 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 3 Tbsp of honey, and 1 cup of hot water three times a day with a new cloth each time and make sure to wash the cloth in a disinfecting solution like straight bleach afterward. The other thing you can try is to take a piece of bacon just big enough to cover the area, cover this with a bandage for 12 hours. This method will bring the infection to the surface where it will begin to weep. When it starts to weep, you need to apply 1 Tbsp of honey mixed with 1 tsp of tea tree oil. Cover the area with the sticky paste and then a bandage.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. profile image0

She can also mix the apple cider vinegar with honey like a shot and drink it 4 times a day.

We did this with a friend and it cured up. He now drinks the apple cider vinegar mixed with water everyday once a day.

Thank you Lynne. We are starting the vinegar thing now, I feel that it's better not use sugar since bacteria also likes it.
      I read about bacon too, it makes sense, just kind of unusual but anything goes in this case. 
      The teatree oil says not to apply to irritated skin so I'm not sure how to go about it.

4. profile image52
    Business_Alposted 13 years ago

I totally agree with canadawest99. Do not mess around with a staph infection at all, do not do any guess work with it!!! If you have a tried and true natural method good, but do not start looking around for the remedy after you already have it. Get to a doctor immediately. I had it before and it was not nice. It's a very painfully infection that can kill you before you know it. It will spread rapidly if not treated properly. I took care of it right at the start, so I did not do too badly. But, I have seen worse. Hygene plays a small part in keeping it at bay. But, you can get it anywhere, the park, the gym, any metal surface, or an infected person. The germ can live up to 72 hours on any surface, yes, even a toilet seat!! Treat it now, find a natural cure later.

Thank you Business_Al. We did go to a dr and used meds as prescribed, as I discribed in the ealier reply in this thread.

5. profile image0

We used it on a lanced area with the honey and it worked like neosporin would have. The fellow in question does not like anything that is not organic so we took the chance, but I do understand the concern. Maybe lessen the amount of oil so as not to irritate her skin further.  I'll see what I have as far as a poultice type for skin infections and get back to you later today.

6. lightning john profile image60
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

I agree with canadawest. This type of infection has to be cut out totally!   There is no no slight lance about it. I got one at my right knee, It is very painful, but you best bite the bullet and have a doctor cut it all out, or it will be right back again. This is a very serious infection.  Just antibiotics alone will not do it. Good luck.

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Vinegar is not strong enough to kill staph and sugar will only feed the staph bacteria

Suncat, this is something that requires medical intervention, not folk remedies.

8. suncat profile image60

Thank you everyone who replied. As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread we see a dr regularly and have used antibiotics internally and topically.

I found many posts online where people report having success with natural treatment when other methods didn't produce results.

I'm trying to get more info in that direction from those who had positive experience in this situation.

But everyone's effort is appreciated.

Don't be afraid of over prescribed anti-biotics.  That is just an old rumor from 15 years ago.  Doctors are much more careful now, but they agree when it comes to something serious like this, you use all the weapons available which means anti-biotics are the #1 course of action - nothing else.

It would be great if we could take something like antibiotic and it would work like you hope.

But bacteria gets adapted to it over time and becomes resistant to it. That is often the reason why it is not always effective.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Suncat,  bugs like staph don't suddenly become resistant to every single antibiotic.  They become resistant to specific antibiotics.

If this person took an antibiotic twice and it didn't work, it's because it was the wrong antibiotic.  Go back to the doctor, show him it didn't work, and get him to send a sample off to be tested.  That will tell him which antibiotics it's resistant to, and which can still kill it.

In the meantime, apply Manuka honey (other honey won't work) to the infected areas several times a day. Also take it internally.  It's a very powerful anti-bacterial and it's used in New Zealand hospitals for leg ulcers that won't heal etc.

As others have said, staph infections can kill. We've grown up in a world where dying from a bacterial infection is rare - but before antibiotics were invented, people could die from a simple cut.  Don't mess with this!

Marisa, We did do the tests. The dr prescribed antibiotics 2 times based on the results of the tests, it was 2 different antibiotics over this course of the treatment. And also several antibiotics as creams.

We made an appointment with another doctor, we saw 2 doctors already and the second one prescribed the same antibiotics as the first one before. So we are going to a 3rd doctor.

I also read about manuka honey, thank you for reminding, I'm willing to try it, I just thought that sugar in honey feeds bacteria and wasn't sure about using honey.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean - so I would never recommend using ordinary honey. 

Here's some info on Manuka honey - make sure you get one with a stated UMF factor (usually from health food stores)

http://www.thehoneyfarm.com.au/acatalog … oney_.html

Thank you Marisa.

I'm going to Whole Foods, I've see it before and was always stopped by the price, actually don't really use any sweets that much.
                Learned new things from the link.
                So going to check the label closely now.

2. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know Marissa answered this, but I'm going to try again. Alexander Fleming did not go to the effort to discover antibiotics just for someone to go back to using folk medicine.

A staph infection can kill.

If the antibiotic your doctor prescribed doesn't work, go back for another. Your doctor isn't God. He cannot know which antibiotic will treat your particular case and will have  prescribed a general one to start off with.

The only way bacteria can become resistant to an infection is if someone doesn't finish the prescribed course.

If it is prescribed for you, finish the course whether or not it is working.

Too many people stop their courses when their symptoms disappear instead of finishing a course.

That is what causes resistance. The bacteria gets knocked down, but not out. It then wakes up and comes back stronger than before and with an inbuilt resistance against the antibiotic that knocked it down.
          Doctors got the blame for over-prescribing antibiotics, but the blame lies with those who never carried out the instructions in the first place to "finish the course".

As I already explained before, she took and finished 2 courses of antibiotics, meaning the antibiotics was taken as prescribed, it's a known fact that a person should not stop the indended course of antibiotics.

9. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

suncat

As previous posts have tried to advise you playing with a Staph infection can be very serious even fatal.  Please stick with advice  from a legally qualified medical practitioner...

10. suncat profile image60

As I already explained before, she took and finished 2 courses of antibiotics, meaning the antibiotics was taken as prescribed, it's a known fact that a person should not stop the indended course of antibiotics.

Thank you IzzyM for your input.

11. profile image0

I'm glad you are taking this seriously. I'm also glad you are willing to go the extra mile here, so from my nephew-in-laws doctor have her take a warm bath in warm water with epsom salt and bleach. Use about a quarter cup of epsom salt and 1 cup of bleach to a full bath tub. Once she gets out you are going to need to clean the tub with a disinfectant like the bleach because the staph can and will survive on the surface.

My nephew-in-law has cancer and is non-resistant to most germs so gets staph infections that can not be cleared up with just a round of antibiotics. This is what the doctor told him to do while taking the antibiotics. The epsom salt and bleach combination will dry up the infected area while disinfecting it at the same time.

He has had really good results from this along with drinking the apple cidar vinegar and water mixture. The honey will sooth the pain as well as treat the infection too. It isn't about using just one or the other, you have to use them in combination with each other.

Suncat, go back to your doctor and they will prescribe a stronger drug that will knock that out in week.  They start with amoxycilin, then penicillan and have 3 or 4 even stronger than that.  Your child is not resistant to antibiotics, you are just misinformed.   They have drugs that knock out any infection now.

2. suncat profile image60

Thank you so much Lynne.
      I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew-in-law. I'm hoping he'll be strong enough to go through anything.

We started the vinegar and I'm gonna try manuka honey as Marisa reminded. The girl that works in my CVS (drug store) also suggested Epsom salt. The bleach is chlorine so it too does the work, not a big fan of that but it's not worse than antibiotic.
      Found some other info on disinfecting  water, I don't know if it's useful but here is the link
      www.survivaltopics.com/survival/better- … ect-water/

We're going to another dermatologist doctor, so will post what she says after we see her.

12. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

I fully understand your position on this - that some others here seem to have overlooked. When you try anti-biotics and they don't work it is worrying, and many doctors are not so helpful as the term 'medical professional' would imply.

Here in China I am being treated by the local hospital that uses a range of methods, and they use anti-biotics very sparingly.  The doctors advice here is that over-use of anti-biotics is a common western over-prescribing issue - and that they can lead to as msny other issues as they solve.  I for one appreciate this approach as it concurs with my feelings about anti-biotics (and steroids).

From my own observations around me - Chinese medicine is especially good at skin complaints, I have seen difficult (on one occasion 'untreatable') skin complaints that my western friends have had for many years cleared up with Chinese medicine in a couple of months.

I teach English at the top medical college here and I will go and find a Professor and ask him (or more likely a her). Watch this space after Tuesday smile

Thank you so much Recommend1.

I'm looking forward to hearing  what the Professor  in your college would have to say!
      I wish you the best with your own thing, it's really nice to hear that you have good care in the hospital but hope you will not need it soon smile

13. profile image52
    Brian Carlosposted 8 years ago

A way to treat staphy infection is to apply Fucidin onto wounded layer of the skin. It works and heals within just a few days! This is proven and tested to my kids so I encourage you guys to try it too. smile  Fusidic acid / Fusidate sodium (FucidinĀ®) provides full force against wound infection that targets Staphy.  To know more about proper wound care, visit this page: notostaphy.com.ph

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)