Astrology: Quack ?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (34 posts)
  1. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I'm digging down to find out how it works. For me as per sunsign: aries and as per indian astrology i'm scorpion. How are we supposed to believe two different sets of results ? Another thing, most of the interpretations are pure lies. What do you think about Astrology stuff ?

1. falcon64 profile image59
      falcon64posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't depend more of your self on what the Astrology says. If you think the interpretations not true.

2. profile image55
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mild, mindless entertainment, kind of like tv.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It ranges from silliness to evil.

4. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Astrology is a mysticism. It's no different than that of the mystic "GOD" of religion.

It's wasteful. smile

5. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The difference, to my limited knowledge, is that Indian astrology is based on a "moving sky" if you will. In other words, Indian astrology reads your chart based on the actual position of the stars at the time you were born. Where as western astrology bases it on a "fixed position" of stars so everyone can be categorized based solely on the month they were born. Less work I guess, but it completely undermines any serious study of the subject.

6. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I studied astrology seriously enough in 1972-1973 that I learned to set up my own chart and even did some mild interpretation for other people...sometimes not so mild.  After that period, I've not used it a lot but don't see it as hocus-pocus, either.

Just looking at your Sun sign in the newspaper doesn't accomplish much.  If your entire chart is set up, in which the locations of the sun, moon, and all known planets in the solar system are pinned down and their angular relationships analyzed, quite a surprising amount of accurate information can be gained by the knowledgeable practitioner.  I found it quite reliable for insights into personalities and even more so for compatibility checks between mates.

Using what I'd learned, I actually (no kidding) picked out my 2nd wife from her chart before we'd even met...and also designed my approach to her based on what the chart showed.  That approach was so successful that within literally minutes of meeting face to face, we'd committed to each other--despite both of us being married at the time.

That marriage lasted for seven years.  When we divorced, we were still best friends and are still extremely close to this day.  It was simply time for the two of us to go our separate ways, which we did.  (Note:  Divorce without anger not recommended; the grieving has no insulation and is a real bugger.)

I found astrology to be LESS helpful in predicting long term behavior.  This is, I now believe, because as Soul each of us retains the power to rise at any moment to a state of consciousness beyond Time and Space--to rest in the grace of God, if you will--and astrology ONLY works in the lower, karmic, cause-and-effect dimensions.

7. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its considered a higher science ,its very accurate.
      Man has realized that this universe is based on pure mathematics.

Take a chain with many links in it, if you have the position of one link you can go backwards or forward.

2. profile image50
    The Paulposted 14 years ago

Back in the day it was totally acceptable for well-to-do people toying with science to investigate claims of magic like astrology, spirit channeling, and so on.

If it were real and it were really that easy someone would have found it, and it would be a recognized science today.  You'd be able to take a two year course in it at a community college and get a certificate signifying you had the power to predict the future.

3. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

If there was anything to astrology then identical twins would experience identical lives, as they are always born on the same date. smile

1. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what about identical twins separated at birth exhibiting similar traits and mannersisms, sometimes even similar life choices, without ever being close to eachother.

i believe that astrology isn't a set map of how one's life will go and all the situations one will be presented with, its a very intricately woven tapestry of possibilities and key traits and energies and where they flow in (or do not flow so easily) in ones life.

its does not contain all the answers, that comes from within. it just guides one on using that which one was born with in a more positive way, i.e. working WITH your energies instead of against them.

most often people do not believe it because they misunderstand it, only know of sun signs (the proverbial tip of the iceberg)
      or then of course those who think it is "evil"  and then there is no teaching them, only arguing. c'est la vie

1. profile image55

What's to understand? Astrology is pure bunkum. Those who believe in it don't really understand much at all. So called Astrologers can't even describe the effects. They haven't a clue.

1. Sara Tonyn profile image60
          Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's entertainment. If people want to make more of it than that it's their choice.

But you can't say for a fact that people's personalities aren't affected somehow by the time and place of their birth. We haven't found any concrete connection yet but maybe we'd find something if we had the ability to factor in all the elements of the universe -- a mind-boggling task.

Just staying open to possibilities that go beyond our limited knowledge and understanding of things.

1. profile image55

Sure, the world is full of mystery mongers and significance junkies.

It is as irrelevant as the day is long.

And, you never will, because it's pure bunkum.

Sure, you will.

So open the brains begin to fall out?

1. Sara Tonyn profile image60
              Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But still true.

Again, you don't know that for a fact.

No, but not so closed that new information can't enter.

1. profile image55

Not in the least.

4. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 14 years ago

If you agree everything in the universe can be broken down into numbers and the butterfly effect exists (throughout the universe), the idea behind astrology has some genuine merit.

But good luck doing the math. Maybe someday a super computer will be able to mathematically calculate how, and to what degree, the time and place of your birth in the universe affects you in some measurable manner.

In the meantime all we have to work with are the simple latitude and longitude lines of Earth and the positions of the planets in our own tiny solar system. Using that miniscule amount of information, the accuracy of astrological forecasts is likely to be extremely questionable at best.

But it's fun and it does seem to defy the odds by being on target a bit more often than would seem likely.

Of course maybe that's just the double Leo in me speaking. big_smile

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The double Saggitarian in me agrees with you! smile Holly

5. Petra Vlah profile image61
    Petra Vlahposted 14 years ago

I am a Gemini and an OX; the two signs seem to be complete opposits, but in my case they make me who I am and I don't think is just coincidence

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It's a fun curiosity for a laugh with friends.smile

7. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Astrology does effect a persons  natural tendencies of behaveior.  I don't think that it is ruled as much by the date of birth as it does the date of conseption. The day seed is planted or the day the egg is fertalized.
        A farmer plants seeds acording to the seasons and moon and stars because this affects their growth and productivity.
    It can make a big diffrence if the seeds are planted on the 14th or the 16th.
        Natural tendencies of a persons affected by their astrological sign.?? I can see that.

8. skyfire profile image80

Mathematics ? fictitious planets which are not in solar system are in view part of maths and part of faith ? Is this how that thing works ??

One more thing, am i aries or scorpion then ?

1. mohitmisra profile image60

These charts have been mapped with astounding accuracy thousands of years ago , Some of the planets modern man discovered with the help of powerful telescopes.
      I dont know the difference between western or Indian astrology but try a reading some time and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Do you believe in numerology.?

I studied astronomy as a Navigating officer in the Navy and was skeptical about astrology, but I couldn't deny the accuracy of some readings.

9. skyfire profile image80

No i don't believe in numerology.

I have gone through lot of north/south indian natal chart readings and both show me different readings. As per indian astro i'm scorpion but my future predicted by those is completely different and as per greek astro stuff it is different. And to tell you that because of those 12 positions i have seen that stuff is not that accurate. North indian system predicted i'll not have education in future and i'll do some business, and to beat that i found myself as engg graduate of communication engineering and i'm working with IT firm. Is this accurate as per astro now ?

I got a very accurate reading.

There is a a hubber here called Deborah Saxton try requesting her for numerology reading , she is superb, extremely accurate.

10. skyfire profile image80

I'll ask her for sure.

But here is take a look at it. As i told you earlier i have digged it by asking some reputed people about this. After that i also asked with people online about it and all gave me some random information. I don't know how accurate it could be ?

I found bejan daruwala and Linda Goodman prediction as completely wrong.

I think Bejan Daruwalla is awesome, a mystic who communicates with the entity Ganesha who imparts this knowledge to him.

I had a chart made by a local astrologer and I was amazed by the accuracy.

11. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I was told several years ago that I would win the lottery....my stars must have been thinking about someone else....still its only a bit of fun dont take them too seriously....

1. globalserenity profile image59
      globalserenityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if you hadn't noticed, some of the freelance bidding sites are actually hiring writers to write astrological horoscopes for them! This discovery of course had me finally convinced that there is no horoscope god out there, calculating everyone's information with some sort of magical knowledge...

No seriously, I knew there wasn't, but the point is, it's all in fun. We never see a horoscope telling us
      "you suck, get used to it, go play in traffic.."

The reason is, obviously no one wants to hear that they suck. I mean at the very least they can be seen as positive reinforcement, validation, or even simply a way into more positive or proactive thinking in terms of ones problems in life.

There are as many sides to astrology as there are religion in some ways. One group of people's firm belief in one side doesn't discount another group's belief in an opposite side. I relate it to religion simply because yes...some people follow their horoscope religiously, and whole heartedly belief in them.

I personally enjoy horoscopes because they are ever changing and again...it's just for fun for the most part! If their truths are going to conflict in a way that gets on your nerves then just simply don't read them.

Of course one could deduct that Aries and a Scorpion for instance have a lot of the same traits and are just named different things depending on where they originated. Ah...culture and it's effect on the people is astonishing is it not?

12. saesha profile image60
    saeshaposted 13 years ago

there is a branch of scientists trying to find evidence of astrology: this breaks down into 2 main goals: one is to find statistical evidence in the same way social scientists find information.

the other goal adheres to physics, theorizing on ways planetary positions influence personalities.

Percy Seymour has theorized that the earth's magnetic field has something to do with it. Our personalities may be different because the magnetic field at the time of our birth may affect our embryonic make up.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, there isn't. Scientists understand that astrology is pure nonsense. smile

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you a Taurus?

1. Beelzedad profile image58
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm a human. smile

13. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

Astrology is harmless and interesting. My mom believes in it and she can narrow someone's personality from the time of year they are born. Whether the ancient science has any merrit or not, I don't really know. But apparently there's something to it since it's been around for a couple thousand years. I have no opinion on it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)