When did your baby start sleeping through the night?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Lupozee profile image60
    Lupozeeposted 13 years ago

My son is 7 months old and is on solids and on bottle milk but still wakes up every 2 hours sometimes just for a cuddle or maybe because he can't get back to sleep.
    What techniques did you use??

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cereal right before bed...

2. mummibear profile image60
    mummibearposted 13 years ago

Very important to have a full belly.... At around this age lots of em seem to go outta whack. I ended up using a very gentle controlled crying method during the day and within 48 hours he was sleeping right thru the night and was in routine during the day

Lupozeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

is this where you pick them up then put them back into the cot? my son is good where we dont need to take him out just pat him a little and he will go back to sleep.
      I think he wakes up out of habit.

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Don't turn on a light in the room!  Use a night light or turn on a light outside the room so you can see enough to be safe.  Bright light will wake up the baby, dimness will keep the baby sleepy.  Night sleep and daytime naps should take place in separate places - such as a playpen in the day and crib at night.  Try hard not to pick up baby either - if you make a bottle, let baby wait in the crib & give baby the bottle without picking baby up.  I know you're not supposed to, but if baby isn't really hungry, baby wont drink all of it anyway before going back to sleep (after a couple days).  I know it seems necessary to talk and play with baby, but keep it to a minimum (nothing at all is best) when woken up in the middle of the night.  Talk and play mean day, quiet means calm for sleep.  Also, it's difficult, but don't make eye contact during the night either. 

The point isn't to punish baby, but to train baby to not wake up during the night for play or cuddle time.  It took me 1-2 weeks to get my youngest to sleep through the night when he was 7-8 months - he had day & night completely mixed up!

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I think it was about 27 1/2 years ago. lol

5. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

My babies are 15 and 20 and they still don't sleep through the night... LOL!

6. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

You said you don't pick him up but just pat his back a little and he'll go back to sleep - do you pat it until he falls back to sleep?

If so, I would suggest that you pat his back for a minute or two, but stop before he actually falls back asleep so he can learn how to put himself back to sleep. Over the next few nights, reduce the amount of time you spend patting him, until you're really not doing anything more than going in to make sure he's okay and leaving again.

If he already puts himself back to sleep, you can probably skip right to checking on him, giving him a pat to reassure him, and then leaving. Unless his crying gets louder or more insistent, he doesn't really need you, he just has you trained to think he does. Even babies who "sleep through the night" technically wake up several times a night and may babble to themselves or even fuss quietly for a little while. As long as they don't start crying, there's rarely any need to go in and check on them, and doing so can actually encourage them to wake more frequently and stay awake longer.

7. mindyjgirl profile image78
    mindyjgirlposted 13 years ago

Jonny started sleeping through the night just at 3 months old, I was breast feeding him, but he wasn't getting enough milk so I supplemented with a tiny bit of Gerber's oatmeal baby cereal in some formula in a bottle. He slept all night woke up about 5am. I would changed and nurse him again and then we dosed off till 8am.

8. Amanda Severn profile image93
    Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

I couldn't bear the whole controlled crying thing. The second my babies squawked I was there. Both of them came in to our bed if they couldn't settle, and we played musical beds most nights. Having said all that, they both grew out of their bad sleeping habits by the age of three or four and now they sleep like logs!

9. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 13 years ago

It only too a few weeks, I breastfed both of my little ones and they never had any trouble sleeping. 

For the first few months I had their bed next to mine. I breastfed them when they woke up through the night, at the first noice (without putting the lights on) "burped them" and put them back into their bed to continue sleeping.
    maybe because they were fed inmediately and without lights they went to sleep inmediately and got used to take longer stretches of sleep everytime.  Very soon they were only waking up midnight and them at about 5 or 6 in the morning to continue sleeping until about 9am.

10. Lupozee profile image60
    Lupozeeposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the replies and my husband read some of the posts and has tried a few and to be honest ( touch wood) he is sleeping much better smile

11. mkvealsh profile image60
    mkvealshposted 13 years ago

Most importantly remember that someday he won't be there with you at night anymore, so if you do have to get up to cuddle him back to sleep, enjoy it!

Lupozeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So true have to enjoy every moment with your children because before you know its they are all grown up and when you turn for hug they are hugging their girlfriends!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)