Which social bookmarker?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. albc profile image59
    albcposted 13 years ago

I use shetoldme and jumptags extensively and they are quite nice for backlink and traffic sources.

Recently, I found a site that suggested me to join Folkd.Com. Anybody here use folkd? Does it work?

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I personally don't backlink or bookmark at all. And I still earn quite well without it.

But aside from that, social bookmarking is actually a low quality, time consuming, lottery style attempt to get traffic. Here are some facts:

*Social bookmarking brings low quality traffic - most visitors from such sites don't click adverts or buy items.
    *Most backlinks from social bookmarking sites are nofollow meaning they do nothing for search engine ranks.
    *Age, QUALITY organic backlinks and a variety of other things will make your traffic increase slowly and continuously over time. Social bookmarking might give you a surge for a day or a week but then it will die off.
    *Social bookmarking is like a lottery - about 1 in a million sites that are linked will actually go viral and get tons of hits.
    *Google keeps cracking down on attempts to game the system. Since no one knows how the algorithm is written, there is no guarantee social bookmarking sites aren't accounted for by it. Google doesn't like link farms or spam sites, either.

1. albc profile image59
      albcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mmm, what do you think the best thing to do to get more traffic? and to be ranked higher by google?

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with WryLilt here.  Several months ago I spent several days backlinking some 75 hubs through Xomba - to date I've received 127 visits from there.  It isn't worth the time.  Had I spent that time writing a handful of quality hubs I would have had 10 times that many visitors.

More traffic?  Keyword research and on page SEO.  Find a good niche to write about.  Write quality hubs.  Be patient - it takes several months to get good organic traffic.

1. profile image0
          BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you recently read Mark Knowles hubs on making money from Hubpages, he stipulates that to make long term rewards from this site, there are 3 stages to follow:-

!. Finding a niche and doing keyword research.

2. Writing a Quality well researched article.

3. Promoting that that article for all it's worth.

All 3 stages have to be completed to maximise your earning potential.

Mark even showed two similar titled hubs one which was backlinked and one which was left to defend for its self.
          The results are there to be read.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know that many highly advise using #3, including Mark, whom I greatly admire.

I also realize that there are other ways to be successful on HP; several of the more successful writers do no backlinking at all, but depend on content, volume and time to do it for them.  It seems to work (at least for me), just taking more time to reach maximum results. 

It also seems to me that the second option is more likely to be at least as successful in the long term, which is my own goal.  Google doesn't like massive backlinking efforts and continually tries to eliminate such efforts from its algorithm, while recognizing the value of solid organic links.  Several of my hubs have hit page 1 directly as a result of just such links and as those links continue to expand I expect them to stay there.

1. Pcunix profile image90
              Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you 100%, but there is no doubt that fooling Google can be quite lucrative.

I just can't do it.  Too much internal objection to "cheating".  I know that there is nothing illegal about it, so it is only arguing personal morality, but I just can't do it.  For me, it doesn't matter if you can or cannot make just as much without the games: I won't play the games.

2. albc profile image59

I read Marks' hub too, that is one of the reason I am trying to increase link to my hubs..

2. Pcunix profile image90

Write content that is link-worthy.  Write stuff that I want my friends to know about, stuff that is so good that I will reference your hub when I mention its subject in something I am writing.

And of course when YOU write something that mentions that subject, if it is appropriate to link back for details, do so.

Or do what the not quite so white hat SEO folks do: pollute the Internet with junk and semi-junk that points back to the good stuff you wrote.  Use automated backlinking services - pay no attention to Google's dislike of such things and forget about any personal integrity you might have: this is MONEY, so nothing else matters.

Yes, that last paragraph was sarcastic, but unfortunately, it is the path far too many take.

Let me just add something here.

I have a number of links FROM Wikipedia.  I don't mean from those silly things you can write about yourself, I mean real links from real entries. Those are a really big deal, because Wikipedia carries tremendous weight with Google.

How did I get them? By spamming the Internet with junk? No, I got them simply by writing very good articles on the particular subject.  People noticed and somebody stuck a few of them into Wikipedia.  Reviewers and revisions decided the links were valuable; so they stuck.

That's an extreme case, but the way you get valuable links is by writing valuable content.

That's much harder than automated backlinking services, of course.

1. profile image0
          BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey Pcunix- congrats to you on getting the 100 score is that your first time?

1. Pcunix profile image90

No.

Fifth, sixth, I don't know. Not unusual.  Don't blink, because when you open your eyes it will be gone again.

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

In another thread, rebekahELLE posted this link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/busin … r=2&hp

Anybody who thinks Google doesn't care about aggressive linking campaigns and will not take action needs to read it.

Over and over again, certain folks here have claimed that Google cannot punish you because that would mean that a competitor could damage you by building fake links to you.

Well, Google DOES punish, as this article proves.

1. albc profile image59

I am thinking about honest link, I saw in the past that several honest backlinks improve google ranking of a site a lot..

4. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Social bookmarking sites are more then just what we know such as Digg Mixx etc.

Have you ever heard of or looked into Pligg sites? It is said that Google looks at Pligg sites to look for the climbers and shakers.

Might I suggest to anyone who is serious about social bookmarking to think outside the square and give Pligg sites a go. They do not ban you, auto-approve, have huge dofollow links and great page rank.

Serious promoters use Pligg sites because the links get indexed lighteningly fast and stick.

Anyone interested here is the footprint:

"powered by pligg" + "inurl:register.php"

For the un-initiated here is a site www dot kirtsy.com that is a typical social bookmarking site powered by Pligg. PR5 and well trafficked. If you get a few of these backlinking to your hubs you will own page 1. I prove that to myself everyday just by using these bookmarking sites.

Enjoy....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)