Prime Minister J. Gillard's speech to America

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. agvulpes profile image84
    agvulpesposted 13 years ago

Did anyone bother to watch our PM Julie Gillard address to the American parliament?  I only saw a small snippet but what I saw made me squirm in my seat.  What I saw was cloying (and that is being kind) and I felt she went right over the top.
    I would really appreciate hearing from some Americans what they thought of our PM's speech.

agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It looks like some of the more higher paid and more savvy commentators may agree with me:
      http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/44996.html

Does Australia really need another "All the way with LBJ" Prime Minister or is there an Agenda emerging?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

ABC net. Pretty sure no mention on TV. I never heard of it. Americans don't really care about anybody else but themselves. They know almost nothing about foreigners or foreign affairs. Hot spots in the world are called geography lessons. This has almost nothing to do with the people, but rather the state of the media. The major networks net are little more liberal because they know hardly anyone looks at them.

I'm sure what you are saying also applies here in Australia. Does anyone really know where 'Afghanistan' is located?

3. profile image50
    ShortStoryposted 13 years ago

We don't have a "parliament." And just who is this broad supposed to be?

The term was used in the sense as described by Wikepedia!
      "The name is derived from the French parlement, the action of parler (to speak): a parlement is a discussion. The term came to mean a meeting at which such a discussion took place".
      I will ignore the rest of your comment!

1. profile image50
        ShortStoryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The word you were looking for was 'Congress.' As in "Some old broad gave a speech to the Congress and nobody cared."

I was not looking for a word because I believe that the word I chose was contextually correct (from my perspective not yours)
          I still choose to ignore the rest of your comment. Cheers

4. AnnCee profile image66
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

Video of speech at link:  http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nationa … 6019358462

Gosh, I think she's a superstar!  What's wrong with a little high-mindedness?  Thatcheresque!  Bravo!

Thanks Anncee it is nice to know how things are seen from another perspective!  As I said, there have only been snippets appearing on our news broadcasts and of course News stations have their own little 'agendas' running and they would want to show things in their worst/best light depending on which side of the fence they sit.

1. AnnCee profile image66
        AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe we'll see an American come to the forefront who can be a Ronald Reagan to Julie Gillard's Maggie.  I'd love to see a team like that again.

Decency, optimism and confidence have been sorely lacking in politics for far too long.

Well AnnCee I don't pass any judgment on any other countries politics or politicians  other than to say: "sometimes you have to be very careful what you wish for"! hmm

1. AnnCee profile image66
            AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is Gillard not doing a good job?

Well, and this is totally my own opinion, considering that she is actually governing with a 'minority' government with the 'ass-ist-ants' of three independents and the man she deposed as PM for her Foreign Affairs minister she is doing a reasonable job. I feel she is still in a Honeymoon period!

5. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Ag, I noticed that the local "Shock Jock" radio station interrupted it's endless barrage against her and the Labor Government to compliment her on her speech.

I know these guys take the line of least resistance, so it looks like it may have gone over better than expected with the whinging extremists. That's a bit of a worry! smile

Yes Earnest having now had a chance to have a look at the speech I can see where it can only cement our relationships with America.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It still made me cringe though! lol lol

Yep, me to lol we certainly do have the old 'cultural cringe' with regards to the way we are viewed by other nations!
          But "hey take us or leave us" that's what I say:lol:lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)