Suite 101: Alert! PLEASE READ!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. MPChris profile image65
    MPChrisposted 13 years ago

Okay, I don't put these warnings out lightly. I honestly believe in the advertising sharing revenue model, so this has nothing to do with that.

Rather, to promote one of my Hubs, I went to Suite 101, and wrote a nice, detailed article on the M1 Garand, complete with a nice picture. Their editorial process is far more in-depth, and my article got tied up because my sources were mostly wikipedia.

The editor wanted desperately for me to change a few things here and there, and add in a 'source' paragraph. It seemed excessive for article writing policy, but sure enough, it was in their handbook.

I relented, and decided to pull the article. Keep in mind, at this point, only three people have seen my article. Myself. My Father (who saw a print copy). The Editor.

I went to Go Articles to publish it, figuring I could still get some use from it. They said I couldn't, and that it was too close to something on their list.

I thought it had to do with the categories.

Then I searched, and found this:

http://goarticles.com/article/M1-with-t … s/4404887/

My freakin' article. My First Serial Rights stolen from me from an editor-thief. No amount of education can undo the fact that she is a thief.

So I've had enough. I will not post with Suite101 until this has been righted. Obviously they aren't taking their editor positions seriously enough!

I call for a boycott and denouncement of Suite101, until this has been made right. No one should work for the relatively small amounts we do, and risk getting ripped off.

I say we form an Online Content Writer's Guild, or something there-in equivalent. If you think I'm whining too much, just think if it was you, this cool new article that had your research, your opinion, and your deductions. You try to publish it but cant. Only to find that the right the 'first release' of your content has been taken away!

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh wow that is amazing and disasterous. That is just B.S. Yeah that is why it's hard to decide whether to post stuff, because we never know if someone will plagerize or steal our stuff.  Thanks for the warning!

2. MPChris profile image65
      MPChrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And for those of you in the know, the right to First Serial Release, is a big thing. My FSL has been taken away permanently by this thief. Sure, it may have been a tiny article for marketing purposes, but it could also have been a preface to my book.

It could have been my cherished short story.

It could have been my poetry or my art.

If anyone out there, has some legal training. Please give me some idea as to recourse, as well as forming this 'OCWG'.  There needs to be a lobby for all writers who work online. We expose ourselves to unneccessary risk by not uniting, and we are already in a very risky environment.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe Suite101 stole it, someone else probably did and copied it while it was up.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But how could they have done that, if only three people (the OP, the OP's dad and the Suite 101 editor) had seen the article?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Articles get published right away, before the editor even looks at them. If it's not the first article. The OP said he pulled the article to fix it.

1. profile image0

Oh right, got you.

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 13 years ago

Why not write a PR about your experiences with the company, proving what happened. Promote that through your facebook, twitter, digg it, add it to stumbleupon the works. Also maybe the BBB report. The more truth it holds, and because its something that offends most "artists and writers" im sure something will happen. You will get an apology from the site, that editor might be removed, etc etc.

You got the writing skills, she dont wink

Because their is a very slim chance of proving you wrote it first (only your father as a witness) and because it has no real value (it wasnt commissioned, for sale, paid for etc) suing the editor wont amount to nothing.

~thranax~

The article had value. Thats like saying that a 9000 word short story, which I wrote an intended for sale, which I paid postage to send to a short story magazine, but doesn't get accepted. Then...ends up published in another under someone else's name...

It does count for something. There should be a minimum amount of fiduciary responsibility for any act of plagiarism, to deter even these low level happenings.

3. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago

Well think he was just trying to prevent others from getting there work stolen. But very good suggestions Thranax very much so!

I might start a media campaign against suite 101. It still has me bristled.

4. ggenda profile image60
    ggendaposted 13 years ago

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that happened to you! Thank you for posting the warning. I just joined HubPages less than a month ago, but Suite 101 was one of the other sites I was considering writing for.

I hope that gets resolved!

Their department for flags and issues returned an automated reply stating they no longer accept email at that address. The only other editor I have told me 'check my submission guidelines', and that would resolve the entire issue for me.

No amount of non-compliance with their submission guidelines should dictate that my work be stolen. This article is still up, earning some other person valuable page rank or clicks, yet the core of my article is gone.

I will be starting a campaign against Suite 101.

5. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago

Understandable!

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I would call them smile

People and site admins often think they can hide from real word repercussions. Content thieves get 3am phone calls - when I track them down.

ads@suite101.com  is the advertising email, its the one that is most likely to get a quick response.. send a nice email about how you want to make a large media buy but need to speak with a human.

or:

Start at the top:

Berger, Peter
          dns@suite101.com
          350-1122 Mainland St.
          Vancouver, BC V6B 5L1
          CA
          Phone: 604-682-1402
          Fax: 604-682-3277

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thats peters cell phone number.. I just checked smile

1. lakeerieartists profile image62
        lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with Sunforged.  Love to hear the result.

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

This is shocking! I have no idea what I would do in your position.
    Contacting the management might resolve the issue as they will have staff emails etc to say who sent what when, I imagine, unless editors use private emails?
    The site must have a record of your original submission. If they want to keep their integrity they are going to have to get shot of thieving editors. How many others has she done this to?

8. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

When you call him, show him this thread.

I for one could get this info out to a few thousand active online writers within an hour.

Maybe he will decide that a change of editors is preferred to substantial bad publicity.

Especially if you were to start writing articles with 'Suite 101 scam' etc.

Although the threat of legal action will probably be sufficient.

9. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Any proof you have that will document your work prior to her theft is important. Any draft files on your hard drive with an earlier date stamp will help.

I agree, calling is the way to go.

And I think social media has immense potential power in righting wrongs. Look at Egypt. Any place you can write a review about your experience with the site, the editor, etc., will also be an alarm the people will want to hear. No one wants to be scammed.

10. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Definitely phone them, at an unsociable time.

Now's the time also to set up your own site - I think the domain www. suite101isascam.com is available lol

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no.

That would be an appropriate action if the thiefs number was available, but the buyterracottawarriors website that the stolen article is pointed to (registrant phinenumber = +86.862584798136) is not even necessarily the editors site as the editor may simply have some sort of backlink service on the side.

I this situation, the OP has yet to make contact with suite101 to register his grievance in a legitimate matter. I was just giving the quickest means to get that started.

3am phone calls are for the scum with websites featuring hundreds of scraped articles who would simply ignore an email and dont have any advertising that would react to a DMCA.

1. profile image0

OK, fair comment!

11. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I doubt this is necessary, but should you call the owner, of course he will have no knowledge of the action and will not immediately assume you are telling the truth. Stay calm so you dont come off as a crackpot.

The only resolution you can really expect is a promise that the editor will be removed. Which is hardly something you can confirm.

Spending time on a smear campaign is not profitable for yourself, using up to much productive time on revenge type activities, is akin to losing twice in my book. The actions of one editor hardly exemplifies an entire organization.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)