Please stop the endless cycle of edits!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (34 posts)
  1. lisavollrath profile image87
    lisavollrathposted 4 years ago

So, yesterday, I got an email saying one of my articles had been edited: a recipe that's been posted since 2017. I'm not sure it really needed editing, since most of what was done was superficial. I checked it over, hated about half of the changes, and edited the article to correct some of the errors that had been inflicted.

Today, I got another email, saying the same article has been edited. Again. With different, ugly changes that weren't necessary, some of which undid what was done to the article by yesterday's editor. So, again, I edited the changes, undoing some of the ugly.

I have no doubt that this cycle of being edited, me correcting the edits, and having the article go back into the queue to be reviewed again, and edited again, could potentially go on forever. Please find a solution to this, because it's a waste of my time, and the time of the various editors who have their own ideas about how what I've written should be presented.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see you in the forums - sorry it is because you are frustrated.  How are things going on your own site?

lisavollrathposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very well, thanks. I have four sites now, two of which earn me income from advertising. I've just finished jumping through the latest round of suggestions from Google, which pretty much doubled my ad revenue.

1. Solaras profile image95

What sort of suggestions does google make? Have you considered Media Vine for your ad revenue?

2. samanthacubbison profile image84
      samanthacubbisonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi!

Rather than going back and forth with edits/reverting edits, it is best to email the team (team@hubpages.com) and let them know what is going on, as it is a waste of time for both parties.

Unfortunately, your articles are being edited as part of a "Google boost" (@theraggededge's term). And as @DrMark1961 mentioned, if you do not want your articles edited during this update, you can opt-out and have them moved back to HubPages.

The objective of this update is to keep articles current, and thus rank better with Google (which means more traffic)!

I replied to the second edit notice, asking that the article be left as it is now. One bad edit is fine. Two of them is just inexcusable.

3. profile image0
      promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The only fact that matters is whether an edit increases or decreases your rank and visits from search engines.

If they increase, the edit is good. If they decrease, the edit is bad.

I suggest giving an edit several weeks without messing with it to see if anything changes.

I disagree. In this case, it was a vegan recipe, edited by someone who is clearly not vegan themselves. The title of my article was changed to something I, and many other vegans, would find offensive.

4. satomko profile image89
      satomkoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have some problems with this too, even where "evergreen" articles are being edited for minor issues.

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's to keep them fresh for the search engines. A recent edit date is always a positive thing. Be happy about it smile

2. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

Hi Lisa, I think it's happening to some of the network sites in order to give them a Google boost after an update. Your recipe was probably edited routinely and then got edited again as per the above. Not much we can do, apart from appreciating HP staff for doing their best to keep our hubs current smile

3. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

Lisa, there was a person complaining about this same issue here on the forums several months ago. (If I remember right she is working on a book and did not want to spend her time on edits/re-edits.) Anyway, I think one of the staff came on and told her that she could ask to have her articles moved back to HP main site, not on the niche sites. They would no longer be edited.
    I am sure there would be traffic loss. No idea how much it would be in your case. I am not even sure if you want to go to that extreme, but thought I would tell you about her forum post.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Not sure if you're talking about me, but no member of staff told me I could move my stuff back to hubpages. I have never been told that.

I have also changed my articles back to the way they were (and updated them in the process), and editors have checked them and accepted them.

The thing that has upset me are the rewrites - not the edits. There is a difference between a rewrite and an edit.

In the rewrite, someone has actually changed the information, plus rewritten entire sentences and paragraphs. That's not an edit. 

It has not happened often.

The other day, someone edited a piece before moving it to a niche site. They changed some of the wording in the title. It absolutely was the best improvement ever! I was very thankful for it.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

No, I was not talking about you. The person to whom I am referring has articles about dog agility on Pethelpful.

2. Solaras profile image95

Yes, I have had my research updated and my conclusions changed, in a medical article. I have laid down. That is all.

I still earn more here in spite of the decreasing earnings and lack of control.  I can say that I would never use anything here as a writing sample of my work, because much is no longer my work.

I do appreciate the editorial corrections that clean up grammatical and AP errors.  Rewrites...that is shocking without a collaborative process.

4. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

The team has been editing every one of my articles on Delishably over the past couple of weeks. I would characterize them as tweaks; some I agree with, some I don't. But I operate on the premise that the editors know more about how to attract traffic than I do, after all that's their job and I know diddly-squat about the mysteries of Google algorithms. I can't believe that HubPages makes changes to my articles in order to attract fewer readers.

1. Carb Diva profile image95
      Carb Divaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Rupert. Thus far about 50 of my articles (maybe more like 100; I've lost count) on Delishably have undergone a tweek of some kind. I know that my traffic has doubled so unless or until they create something horrible I'll let the edits stand.

2. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Those "tweaks" you mention sometimes can be disastrous.  In my case, the editors added material that wasn't true and removed my photos and replaced them with photos of completely different plants that were not mentioned in the article.  The problem is that the editors may know how to edit articles but they do not have in depth knowledge about the subject matter of the articles that they are working on. 

My suggestions for Lisa is to email the editors and let them know why she is reverting their changes.  It may be a case similar to mine where the changes are completely inappropriate and may even be untrue.

That's what I do when my articles get edited and I revert the edits.  A quick email explaining why stops the whole the process.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

+++

5. Marie Flint profile image73
    Marie Flintposted 4 years ago

I'm so sorry this is happening to you, Lisa. I've had a few blooper edits myself, but most of my articles are on HubPages. I let the team decide if something should be placed on a niche site.

In your place, I personally would have been furious and temporarily unpublished the article. I would have taken a couple of days to correct edits, maybe even up to four or five days.

If the bloopers recurred, I would have unpublished again and contacted the HubPages Team via email (I keep their email address in my contacts at Yahoo). Matthew, if he is still part of the team, seems to have the last say on an edit(s). They do make mistakes like us, so hang in there.

May you have every writing joy and success in 2020!

6. revmjm profile image86
    revmjmposted 4 years ago

I have had dozens of articles edited even after they had been edited before. Some of the articles are ones I have written years ago. My pay has increased because of the edits. Some of them are really beautiful after the edits. I have had only one that was edited so much that I didn't recognize it as being my own. Pictures were changes, links were changed, etc. Someone went to great lengths to improve the article.

I am glad to know that other people's articles are being edited. I used to think my articles were edited as a special favor just for me (smile).

There is a notification in the e-mail to contact HP if we do not agree with the changes. By the way, there are two different notifications I have been getting. One is about minor edits and the other one is about an article been "snipped." Both ways provide the same results. So, I appreciate the effort on HP's part.

Concerning the snipped articles, HP writes the following: "We developed this type of edit to address articles that are already in really good shape, but that require some very easy-to-fix changes to either a) move to a Network Site, or b) remain on a Network Site. This type of edit hopefully saves authors’ time and reduces back and forth between writers and HubPages staff. Of course, you have the ability to reverse any change made to your article. However, if you add back problematic elements (links, products, etc.) your article has a very high chance of moving back to HubPages or becoming Defeatured. We will usually snip an article only once; after the first time, it is your responsibility to keep your article in compliance. If you have any questions, feel free to email us."

Hopefully, this post will help others appreciate what HP is doing and think of it as something that HELPS instead of something that HARMS!

Happy Holidays, and enjoy the blessing!

7. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

I am sorry about your frustration.  I hope HP staff sees this thread because they need to know about this situation.  We are a team and work well together, and letting them know what is happening should resolve the issue. Good luck and happy holidays!

8. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 4 years ago

I appreciate the edits to maybe make the articles more inline with Google, but the only thing I find frustrating is when they edit it at least 7 times! And no, I haven't changed what they did, they just edit themselves. I have no idea why.

9. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Increases after edits are a good indication as long as the edit contains the correct information.  Most comments not in favor of the edits are because of incorrect data caused by the edits.

10. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Working as a team, we can make sure the articles are factual and increase traffic and overall stats.

11. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

I had one article edited and got a big traffic boost. If it holds up, I will have to try updating a little more.

12. Don Bobbitt profile image85
    Don Bobbittposted 4 years ago

I've been writing on here for over 10 years now, so I have watched a lot of changes pass through F=HP requirements of its writers over time.
    The one fact that I do recommend that my peers accept is the change. It may hurt, but if it does, it's because they are trying to make our "stuff" more acceptable and interesting to the HP reading public.
    Sure, I hate their "meddling" in my Hubs, what write wouldn't? But, I have learned that I can change over time and if their changed don't work for me, I still have my original sitting there in my PAGES folder!
    PS.This was typed without coffee at 6:15 in the morning!

1. Titia profile image91
      Titiaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

LOL there's an edit button hidden under 'more'. smile

13. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I'm fine with the Powers That Be doing edits on stuff that hasn't been updated in a while.

Just this past week they edited my lone Delishably article, which had been quietly mouldering away for the past year or two, and within a few days of the edits (which were minor) its views had jumped dramatically.

So hey, whatever voodoo y'all are doin', feel free to do it to the rest of my back catalog as well.

14. bhattuc profile image84
    bhattucposted 4 years ago

I feel that if the editors are doing such edits for increasing the traffic to the individual article as well as to the overall benefit of the site then it is no issue. It will be prudent to wait and see the effect of this edit on the traffic before we take up the issue with them.

15. lisavollrath profile image87

...aaaand the recipe has just been edited again. These people are just undoing, and redoing, the same edits over and over again. It's ridiculous!

I've sent another email, telling them to please stop. If it's edited again, I'll just kill it, and move it to my own site.

16. Kenna McHugh profile image92

I am sorry to hear about your frustrations with the edits. I hope you can come to a happy place with HP!

17. lisavollrath profile image87

After three bad edits, I'm out. I've moved this recipe to my own web site, and am in the process of moving the rest of them.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Been there, done that. However, I only do it when the change or the demand for a specific change is earnings/SEO destructive. If the change is not earnings/SEO destructive, then I don't care. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)