Running my dog with my car - discipline help

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (33 posts)
  1. chasemillis profile image69
    chasemillisposted 13 years ago

I run my dog with my car, but every time I do, she (dog) barks at the wheel and runs a foot away from the wheel. And whenever I speed up, she speeds up to get in front of my car so that I can't go very fast. I don't want to yell at my dog or hit her; do you have any suggestions to get her to stop

1. tritrain profile image71
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why not just run alongside her yourself?

If you do use a bike, there are special attachments to prevent you from injuring yourself.  My girlfriend broke her arm when her dog went the wrong way suddenly.  A bike shop should be able to help you with it.  Otherwise, check on Amazon for the best technique.

Seriously, don't run your dog with your car.

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is your life so dull you need to make a joke like this? Maybe it is.

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never thought of this being a joke - I was actually quite concerned for the poor dog. I thought it could be a normal thing people do in the US, knowing they use their cars more than we do in Europe.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78

Camlo, Americans and their cars can be quite bizarre, but running dogs alongside cars, under the scenario chasemillis described, will more likely than not get the driver time in jail for animal cruelty. He/it was, I guess, trying to be funny.

1. camlo profile image84

Good to know.

I know you don't find this funny, but this is beginning to make me laugh ...

lol

2. Leptirela profile image74
            Leptirelaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am with Sally's Trove on this one!!

3. Leptirela profile image74

The other day I read an article , a man in srebia....tied a dog to whatever he tied it to and abused it in most horiffying ways
            I was physically sick....
            Knowing we live in a world where people as sick exist makes me want to just disappear ......HATE CRUELTY...ESPECIALLY ANIMAL CRUELTY..

THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE SHOT ON SPOT!!!

1. theherbivorehippi profile image66
              theherbivorehippiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Being shot is far too kind.  Surely we can think of much better things to do to these people.  I know I can!

1. Leptirela profile image74

I was gutted, I was torn to just think we live with humans like this sad

3. theherbivorehippi profile image66

This cannot be serious?  You cannot really be doing something as careless as this?  People like you clearly don't DESERVE to have a pet.  Perhaps someone should put you on a leash and see how close you can get to the tire or the front of the car? I wouldn't mind taking a stab at it.

WELL SAID !!!!!

WELL SAID !!!!!

4. Leptirela profile image74

How about next time you let the dog drive, and you do the run!!!

neutral

I hate to say this, your seeing a bad side of me... must you do that?

Definitely, SHE should drive.

smile

2. theherbivorehippi profile image66

lol  Awesome idea!  So sad the dog won't be able to reach the break. smile

LOL

5. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

um...no offense, but isn't that dangerous?  Plus, what are you going to do if one of your neighbors reports you to the humane society for putting your dog in that kind of danger to begin with? 

Therefore, if i were you, i'd just jog and/or walk with your dog instead of doing what you're doing.  otherwise, i can only see this working out one or three ways.  Either that dog gets accidentally hurt/killed by that car, as he/she could get ran over easily.  Or, your neighbors might report you for animal cruelty doing that.  Or, it might be a bit of both.  Therefore, i'd deeply reconsider this method if I were you...hmm

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Try a bike.

3. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Why do you run your dog with your car?

I don't know your circumstances, but I'd never run a dog with a car, anyway. And if I were to, I'd stop doing it the moment I noticed it could be dangerous - lethal, in fact.

Sadly, Camlo
      we live in this world where certain people don't think about things
      they just DO THEM...

1. camlo profile image84

Well let's hope it really is a joke.

YEP!!! CRUEL JOKE

4. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

I didn't believe it when I read it because if the police saw him he could get in trouble and if someone else saw it they could report it as animal abuse.

Totally agree

5. profile image49
    scootersmommaposted 13 years ago

Either this is a joke or the person is a total embasile that needs to just get the poor dog a treadmill or better yet a good home.  but I tend to think it is some idiot just wanting to get a rise....either way...did i say "idiot"?  Why, yes, I think I did.

6. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 13 years ago

Your post is very scary. Your dog is likely to be run over if you continue driving while she runs beside your car!  You don’t need to discipline your dog – you need to stop driving with her running beside the car!!  There are other, safer ways to give her exercise, such as running beside her yourself, or cycling (in quiet areas) with a special attachment on your bike. Another advantage of having her right beside you is that you can see when she needs to rest.

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...okay...another one...at the OP...well...maybe don't drive the car with the dog running within a foot of the tire? what?......that'll stop the dog...this is kinda weird btw...you're going to run the dog over....doh!....get a cat instead....or a bicycle...oh wait...that'll hurt too...how 'bout going for a jog with the dog.....or get a cat....

8. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

The very behavior you whish the dog would not do you,  are providing an avenue for the dog to learn and  to do.

How about taking you and the dog to training school and learn the proper and safe way to train, play, and have fun with a dog.

you can seriously injure that animal doing stupid things like that.

you really need to learn how to handle, own and keep up a pet first before you own one. Please stop that dangerious behavior learning and practice.

So, agree ! WELL SAID

So, agree ! WELL SAID

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)