Starting my own website

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. silentsapphire profile image57
    silentsapphireposted 12 years ago

I am starting my own website and have a few questions:

1)Is registering a domain name for long periods like 3 years, 5 Years etc beneficial?

2)Is registering web hosting for long periods like 3 years, 5 Years etc beneficial?

3) Which wordpress theme is best and can we change themes after we start off with one of them?

2. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Great Questions! Congrats on setting up the new website! Its a great adventure!

1. Yes, the more and longer you register it for, the cheaper it is! You can save 25% over a few years! Check the prices and you'll see the saving.

2. Registering for a few years hosting is tricky. Usually you would save ordinarily, but you are locking yourself into a long term agreement with them, and to start off, they'd want to be a great host and not let you down. If they did, and you had years to go with them....you do the math! But it is a way to save money. You might find that by doing things long-term, it takes the hassle out of renewals constantly, which might be good. Renewal can be a mere formality if yo plan it right.

3. I do not use Wordpress templates, but gee, there are thousands of them now! I get dizzy seeing how many there are. hey are the best of all website templates, and you will pay for the best, but they are well worth it. Changing the template is tricky. Best to ask them and see will they allow this. If you pick a good template to begin with, you won't have to change it. Make it future - proof. Ad and banner-wise, as things and technology change, so too might your site and how you monetize it. Make sure you can monetize it with ads, and it will pay dividends. Best of luck with it!

Cassy.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

I find that changing a template (theme) is very simple in WordPress. Simply download a zip file with the template, unzip it, upload it, and then activate it.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
      theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't you have a problem with your widgets?  I only switched themes once and I wanted to pull my hair out.  This is very interesting to me.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a good point. Some widgets don't work so well with some themes, and they need to be reenabled. So once a theme has been set up and is working, changing it isn't something I'd do for fun.

4. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

I pay annually.  There may be money to be saved by paying for your hosting I guess for a few years but I've never been that long-term commitment kind of gal with anything in my life. lol 

As for themes.... it depends on the type of site I'm making but I love the 20/10 theme if I'm just whipping something together because it's easy and I'm comfortable with it but the Weaver theme is REALLY nice too.  Darn...I have a different one on one of my sites and I think it starts with an "I" or an "A"...now I have to go check (I believe it's a three column), my mind is blank.  There are some really nice themes if you want to pay for them too....I just haven't.  I know Bill Manning uses Genesis I believe.  If you go to his profile...check out his Orlando site....it's gorgeous.

Switching themes is pretty tricky, at least from my experience.  Not all plugins will work with all themes or with one another.  Someone else may be able to answer this better.  I switched one theme once and ended up with a whole lot of work and just scrapped the site and started over since I wasn't far along and I was irritated.  Perhaps there are some themes that are interchangeable that I don't know about?

Hopefully another Hubber will answer this....

Good luck by the way!!  You'll love WordPress! smile

5. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 12 years ago

I would never lock myself into a host for more than a month. As for names, yeah if you can afford it the longer the better as you save money. smile

1. silentsapphire profile image57
      silentsapphireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Does paying for hosting for long periods have any SEO benefits. I had come to know that Google finds site paid for long periods more stable and so ranks them well. Similarly does paying for a domain name for long period has any SEO benefits?

1. Bill Manning profile image68
        Bill Manningposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google has no idea whatsoever how long you have paid for your hosting or domain names. None. They are completely separate. So no, they have no SEO benefits at all.

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WHOIS information is publicly available, and shows when a domain is set to expire.

1. Bill Manning profile image68
            Bill Manningposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh sure, but do you really think Google looks at that and makes a SEO decision about it? I'd say 80% of website owners pay their hosting by the month and domains by the year.

They also can't see how long you have paid for hosting, which has nothing to do with how long your going to have it.

How long you pay for those has nothing at all to do with how Google ranks you or sees you.

6. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

I have seen web hosting providers claim that longer registration has SEO benefits, but that doesn't necessarily make it so.

7. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

It may have a mild benefit, but definitely not enough to make an impact over many other major factors.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)