What is the cheapest, easiest way to set up your own website?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (63 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I know that several hubbers here set up separate web sites under domain names they own themselves. I would appreciate any feedback or advice on the best way to do this especially for people (like me) who aren't total techies but do have basic web experience.

Which web hosting services do you recommend and why? Is it worth it going through the trouble of setting up and owning one's own site, or is someone like me (that is, someone who isn't a web designer or tech support expert) better off just using sites like Hub Pages to generate income?

I have a website idea that I think is a good one, but it would be a lot of work even once it exists, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what might be involved and what kind of set up expenses I can expect--that will help me decide if it's worth doing or not.

Any advice or tips would be welcome. Thanks in advance. smile

1. profile image51
      Stockitivaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The new market i just find,I hope it is going to last very long
      I just made a site for africans and sent upto 1million prepaid scratch card within 3 months, i think prepaid is the way to make nice money,just give them downloadables and virtual services.eg Membership prepaid.If you are interested in supplying your prepaid cards to africa, i have good contacts that are willing to buy any flashy card.If you are going to do this business, i think it is wise that you contact me so that i will give you some clues on what they need.

They will buy a job posting biz which has a prepaid card, so with the prepaid card users can post by entering the pin on the card. I hope you now have a clearer view on what i am talking about,That way you still have to control the site if you just want to sell the cards alone, unless you outsell the site and the card which ever way the market is very huge over there.With $1500 you can get up to 100,000 prepaid card at $5 per card for 1 or 2 or 3 months subscription . so its a recurring process.

Why is this card a good business in africa, its simply because they dont have any payment system that works well. They can easily afford the card and at demand,without risking their private information or loosing their pin.

Sounds Funny? Buts that the funny truth. Try it, we all  know that things are hard but this can put some good cash into your pocket.

1. Sufidreamer profile image77
        Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. rharper profile image80
      rharperposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Those are good questions.

It's worth it> Here's why...

1. You own it. You make the decisions.
      2.  Profits are yours 100%
      3.  You can sell the website.

The expense

I have a country music site, costs me $300 a year.  That's using a cadillac service called sitesell.  I don't have to worry about the technical part or bandwidth.  If I need graphic or html help I'll hire someone at elance.

If you concentrate on the marketing and leave the technical to seasoned professionals, you will have no problems.  Don't give up on hubpages... expand.

Robert

3. 2Tony profile image60
      2Tonyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's got to be WordPress.com, buy your domain name, create your site for free in WP.COM, Great back up at wp.com/tv. Will sort out your host as well.
      Good luck!

4. troyjones profile image60
      troyjonesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would advise some caution.  Setting up your own site can take a long time - even for the technically proficient.  I can read/write HTML and program a little PHP.  I still use Web Expressions 2 from Microsoft for building pages.  I also copy a number components from webpages I like.  It still takes a lot of time.

That said, the main benefit of having your own site is that a lot of your efforts here on Hubpages can be used to build an asset - your domain name - over time.  If you are writing hubs for affiliate marketing purposes or just fun you can still usually find a way to plug your site at your own domain.  Each time you do this on Hubpages you get a backlink.

Google likes these backlinks and your site will begin to show up in more and more results when people search the web.  See my hub - What Qualifies as a Backlink? - for my info on the type of backlink you want.

My point is this...  When you own a domain with even the most basic hosting package (mine is about $90 a year + $$10 - $15 for a .com domain - the .com domains are still best for building value) you can point backlinks at it.  The page rank grows with each backlink obtain.  With page rank comes better organic search engine results.  With better results come better traffic.  With better traffic comes the ability to leverage that traffic for sales or eventually sell the domain name (and the traffic) to someone else.

If you are only going to run 1 domain I would recommend my host SiteGround for their prompt service - service is done through a ticket system but the responses usually come back in less than 30 minutes (my experience).  I am currently running several domains and I am considering HostGator for comparable cost and features.

5. mekoahh profile image60
      mekoahhposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think with a basic knowledge in web technology,you should be able to have a website up and running in less than a week! There are so many open source applications for almost any kind of web site you want (e-commerce, blogs, social networking, CMS, etc). All you need to do is to install the required one and do some few customisation. With regards to hosting, I suggest hostmonster.com. They are reliable, cheap and offer best value for money. I hope this will help

6. Lerk profile image61
      Lerkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you are still searching for a good webhoster - have a look at hpage.com
      For myself, I have my own websites with hpage and am very happy with it.
      hPage.com offers beginners and also advanced users the possibility to create their own website online.
      After choosing a username you can start with building of your website in one minute.
      For less experienced users who don´t have any programming skills, more than 300 designs to choose from are available. Creating your own website with hpage's user-friendly online editor then is very easy working.
      The advertisement can be completely shut.
      You can have favicon, you can make header settings such as keywords, description, copyright, author, indexing and you also have the opportunity to specify the address for an individual additional css stylesheet.

2. profile image0
    sybercatposted 15 years ago

The best thing I think is to buy your own domain then you can do what you like on it. Shouldnt cost no more than £20 a year (or was that dollars...) I heard. Some may be 5 or 10 dollars a month but Id scout around for the cheapest.. I guess some options are limited with the cheaper sites but I dont know. Before you decide to buy one tho maybe you should try out a free hosting site that just gives you a subdomain? although not what you want for business because of the extra extensions on your address.. its good just to get a feel for what is involved in website building. Try this site http://members.000webhost.com. Get an account set up fast and easy, create a new free domain, then go down to the website builder icon in control panel and proceed to that next site choosing a standard template etc...  or you can also upload your own templates via the control panel file uploader......

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Pam,

This will involve much more than you are thinking about, and then some smile

The short answer is yes, if you are serious about making money on the Internet, Hubpages provide you with very limited opportunities. It is nice to use HP to support your own site and to complement and slightly diversify your income - but I really doubt you can make a living out of it. I don't have any doubt some people here do make a USA-sized living from HP, but most probably this is just HP staff smile

So sooner or later you need your own site, or rather sites. Forum thread is really not a suitable media for detailed explanation. Shoot me a message through my profile if you are serious, I'll be glad to share with you what I know smile

4. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I use Dreamhost, which has one-click installs of several popular content management systems, including WordPress, Joomla, and MediaWiki. I use the basic hosting plan, which is allows unlimited domains (registration of first one is free, subsequent ones $9.95/year),subdomains, and MYSQL databases. Hosting fees vary depending on how long you sign up. One year costs $9.95 per month.

Honestly, it's only in the last couple months I have made enough to pay for the cost of my own hosting and registration fees, but before that I had primarily personal domains anyway, so once I built a few commercial ones I started catching up pretty quickly. I have a couple experiments that have proved to be money drains and a couple others that I'll be sticking with!

I've mostly just hacked Wordpress for my commercial sites and I find that the easiest way to get started, but I've also been doing basic web design (HTML, CSS, a little PHP) for about 5 years, so I'm not sure if I'm the best judge of what's easiest for a beginner! It would also depend on what type of site you have in mind, and how large it would be. Wordpress is perfect for a blog, obviously, and the Pages can be used to create a static site, but while you can have a pretty much unlimited number of Posts, too many Pages tends to overload the database and make it slow.

5. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Now that is a question..... big_smile

I favor wordpress sites and now have a small army of them smile They are good as Content Management or as a blog.

The dollar cost is minimal, but the time cost is large.

6. mymode profile image61
    mymodeposted 15 years ago

Hey there, I'm sorry if I go off topic here. But IMHO your inquiry depends on how much control you want on the website:

100% control of the website -
    this means that you want to take in charge of everything; from setting up the html, pages, interlinking pages, updating sites, up to promoting it. I don't suggest this for those who have zero knowledge about HTML or even only a slight knowledge about using it, including myself (lol).

Benefits -
    Since you control everything on the webpages, you can write almost anything and everything without any restriction! You control how would you want to monetize the site.

Disadvantages -
    You are solely responsible to update the site. No one would. This is where some people failed. Just because our blog or hubpages scored a lot and brought money in, that does not mean you know how to play the game. Hubpages, for instance, is a big name and they do a lot of promotion to reach where it is right now.

Platform -
    Buy a domain name and choose any blogging platform (blogger or wordpress) may be the easiest way to setup a website. You don't have to worry about setting up the HTML, XHTML, CSS, and just so many acronyms involved in creating a website/webpage. But again, there's a limitation. You can't setup the website to look exactly how you want it. But if you know how to use php coding and all, you can do wonders with your website.

I have to agree with Mark Knowles. You can just setup your website at wordpress. It's easy and you can monetize the website almost instantly. The template?  There are just so many of places on the web that offer free templates for wordpress. There are also a few templates being created that are "adsense-friendly".

However, just like I said before, once you choose third party like blogger or wordpress as a blogging platform, restrictions are there. The site is just not really "yours".

7. Junkster profile image59
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

My blog is currently hosted at tumblr.com, the domain service from Godaddy points to it so it looks a bit better than blahblahblah.tumblr.com

It's really simple for posting either videos, text or images but I may move to either wordpress or blogger again as it's not possible to mix videos and text or photos, you can only add descriptions below it sad

I really recommend tumblr for beginners though, it's a great platform with really friendly staff, they're reaslly good at solving any problems and pointed me in the direction of a commenting system since they didn't have one natively.

1. nobama is better profile image57
      nobama is betterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

stay AWAY from godaddy:

http://NOdaddy.com

^^ enough true to life horror stories to last you five lifetimes.  While they seem a viable choice.. when you get burned it will be badly... and you will get burned at some point.

ICANN rules require you to have current contact information in whois.  If you're using public whois you CAN used munged contact information like

f9a9s9c9i9s9t9s@a9c9l9u.o9r9g--remove9sandeverythingafterdashes.com

which any intelligent sentient person can resolve into

fascists@aclu.org

if godaddy wants to take your domain they allege the automated spambots were unable to reach you at the published whois.  And right well they shouldn't: that was the point.  A REAL person could have contacted you.  Godaddy will snatch your domain.  If you're on the receiving end of slightly less fascism you will have the 'opportunity' to pay an excessive extortion fee to recover your domain.  lucky you?  no.

moniker.com is nodaddy.com forum recommended but doesn't provide hosting and have elusive tech support.  While they suck the least they too have inane policies.  The best is password expiration that requires you to call them.  They keep super fantastic phone hours that makes that one a real joy.

Use 'cheap' as your primary criteria?  You're going to get hosed.

---------

godaddy (http://NOdaddy.com) web hosting is a joke.

Go ahead and try to use the space YOU'VE PAID FOR.  Go ahead.   If you interact with support EVER you're account is flagged for routine 'inspection'.  If no interaction you may well be flagged anyway.

You'll get a delightful "stop using your hosting" letter saying that you cannot store files on your account.  Godaddy hosts appears to have ZERO  understanding of apache, a webserver technology.  Files are stored and the software serves them up to requesting visitor's web browser.

Can't store files?

You ain't got not website.

8. profile image0

Thanks for all your replies. I finally got my Wordpress site up and functional and now I am working on putting up my resume and some links to various freelance work I've done and so on and so forth. If I learn my way around that site well enough, I may try another--I have a few ideas, but I'm sure I'm grotesquely underestimating the amount of work involved.

I think Murphy's Law of Websites has a Corollary that goes something like, "Everything takes 400 times longer than you think and costs 10 times more." lol

I think there is no easy money on the Web. I still mostly write for other people for $$$.

9. killatia profile image59
    killatiaposted 15 years ago

well i'm gonna keep 000webhost in mind since its free, thanks for the heads up sybercat.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yeah,,,but the servers have really slow load times and are frequently down....i only played with their service for a week...was so unimpressed i never went back...maybe it was a fluke, but many forum posts seem to agree with me, plus they seem to have stiffed a ton of their affiliates

i tried experimenting with about 5 free web hosts...misha's comment, you get what you pay for proved true.

in my case
      I was really just experimenting with some automated scripts -auto stores for amazon and ebay, and was worried that the scripts may overuse my bandwidth or just do funky stuff open up back doors security issues etc with my paid hosting

I ended up just paying for supposedly unlimited hosting plans...and creating hundreds of sub domains...havent had a problem yet.

Buying your hosting up front for a year or two an doing a quick promo code search at places like retailmenot
      can lead to premium hosting plans for about 4-5 bucks a month

if this question was still new i would have said- hostgator -> find promo code -> get free domain name with hosting plan->one click install of wordpress ->adsense plug in->seo optimize plug in->buy or find unique customizable premium theme

10. Sufidreamer profile image77
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

Hi Pam

Same applies as with Misha - if you need any advice about setting up a freelance writing site, feel free to PM through my profile.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sufi:

You get most of your work off the internet and work at home?  I've got to run on to work soon, lol, but want to talk to you about how it can be done!  (Already have bugged Pam, here, smile)

No worries, Lita. PM me anytime.

I may have to write a hub on this one!

11. profile image0

Thanks Sufi!big_smile

12. Houellebecq profile image61
    Houellebecqposted 15 years ago

000webhost.com actually looks really good. They'll give you money to advertise with their banners and $5 for every person that is referred by you.

I wonder how the manage to operate with out fees.

13. Houellebecq profile image61
    Houellebecqposted 15 years ago

and apparently all of the names mentioned above work with 000webhost.com

see here:
    http://www.000webhost.com/fantastico

14. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You get what you pay for Jess smile

Agreed - If you are serious about freelance writing, professionalism is key. That company allegedly indulges in some questionable practices. wink

Nothing is free - you can find a decent host for less than $10 per month. Hardly going to break the bank.

15. claireH profile image59
    claireHposted 15 years ago

You could try a company called stockashop who provide template webpages that you can customise.

Hope that helps - not sure if I'm allowed to put the url on here.

16. britneydavidson profile image58
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

search on internet and try the website '100mb free'..may be this provides free web hosting and some additional paid tools as well.

17. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

You may try webs.com. A free web hosting service of good quality. It supports almost all features required for web hosting.

Jyoti Kothari

18. smoothwebdesign profile image56
    smoothwebdesignposted 15 years ago

With web design it is hard to say, you cant beat having it done "properly" by a pro web designer but like you all know they do cost the earth.

Not being byest but i am a web designer, like people said in here it depends if you want to change items on the site, do you want to change content?, need it to be seo friendly? do you want it to be within the law? there is alot of website packages out there and i use to use alot of them but they limit on what you can do. Its like buying a car for 100 pounds when you wanna do drag racing. You can never get a nice fresh web 2.0 template for 10 dollars per month.

Id say get an expert.

Jon

19. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

It might be a lot of work to begin with, but you can make a very professional looking website by using the content management system Joomla (www.joomla.org) and there are heaps of free templates to start you off.

If I was you, I'd stick with your new wordpress to start with, and in the future if you want to upgrade to a more customized site, then look into Joomla.

20. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

bravenet.com

I have a site there, but for the life of me cannot find the referral link so just go to my page and link from there:
    http://mistyacre.bravehost.com/

yeah...dont agree - since the space has banner ads and is laid out like a blogger template.

I would use a blogspot page instead - exact same thing but without the banner ads and better google juice

not that the page is in anyway badly done or unattractive - just never see a purpose in using "free" hosting that forces ads on you if you can do free without ads through so many other sources

1. Lady Guinevere profile image66
        Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Banner ads are only on the FREE site.  I don't see how it is set up as a blogger site since you can set any web site up as bloggers.

Your site has banner ads and is using a blogger style template - as this was the example  you gave,  my response was tailored towards it..if you feel Bravenet is a good PAID hosting site, why are you not paying for it yourself?

Your site looks exactly like the base templates on blogspot - "I don't see how it is set up as a blogger site since you can set any web site up as bloggers." Im not quite sure what else you were trying to say.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image66
            Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There are many templats to use,  I just used the easiest one.  I don't pay for it because it is not a business.  I don't know how to do it well enough to pay for it.  I don't think it is good enough--that is.  I don't have the skills to do it right and I don't have the money to pay someone to do it.

21. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59

Webs.com provides many pages and it looks like website though with banner adds. Blogspot is better for blogging and not for a professional website.

Jyoti Kothari

22. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59

I have my website http://vardhamangems.webs.com in a free web hosting webs.com. It is doing very well. Though it has banner ads, it is good.

Webs has features blog, forum, wiki page, calendar, web store, with regular business or personal pages. it has options to rename its pages according to your requirements. One can customize the website with fully supported features.

Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

Looks good, great job and best of luck!

23. Lifebydesign profile image63
    Lifebydesignposted 15 years ago

I'm no pro but I've been listening to one and I'm experimenting on Wordpress. Lots of great free themes, you can modify the pages to hide the comments section, so I have a page for each category such as "FAQ's", "Testimonials". great support and I've even used an FTP host yahoo! also free. He's graduated to other things and has his own IT guy but for me its great.

24. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59

Thanks.

Jyoti Kothari

25. KimmiJ profile image68
    KimmiJposted 15 years ago

I love synthasite.com for free websites.  No pop ups, no ads, unless you want to use your own adsense account to earn revenue.  The easiest to use free website bulider I have ever seen.  Nice templates. Blog. RSS. Easy to implement paypal.  Tons of widgets.  It's all push button, drag and drop.  And their support staff is great, too.  Just the best free website hosting  I've found.  Lots of bells and whistles at no charge.

26. aanaedwards profile image63
    aanaedwardsposted 14 years ago

Once you book a domain. You should look for a hosting platform that supports one click script install. I suggest you to use fantastico based Cpanel hosting. You can install scripts like Joomla, Wordpress, Oscommerce on your website by single click. One you install script you can create any professional website without much knowledge of web designing or programming. You will learn while you work with it.

27. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

If you need the lot server side like unlimited databases, ruby on rails, fantastico, wordpress and other blogs and all the good stuff  to do ecomerce Divinity has a great choice of hosting with Cpanel with the works. The price is reasonable and the service so far has been fantastic.
    If you only need an adwords setup with a squeeze page you can host on godaddy cheap enough.Their site is ugly and cluttered but if you look closely you will work out where to go. Good luck.Need any detailed help feel welcome to email me.

28. caymanhost profile image59
    caymanhostposted 14 years ago

000Webhost should be avoided, as should free hosting in general for anything remotely mission critical.

There is a lot of bad press surrounding 000Webhost and most of their promotion is done by affiliates who are offered $5 for every free account they sign up.

Unfortunately they are unlikely to ever see a cent. I have a big fight going on on one of my blogs with their paid "shills" but just Google "000Webhost scam" and you'll soon see why I'm making this post.

29. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Use Joomla. There's a minimal learning curve and then you'll find it as easy as Wordpress -- only with more functionality. There are a gazillion plugins for it as well, so chances are whatever you need is available.

IMHO, Wordpress is great if you're blogging. But if you're simply looking for a good, clean content manager with a bit more functionality, it's Joomla.

30. Jiten88 profile image53
    Jiten88posted 14 years ago

There are many web hosting services, most people do choose go to wordpress. This is great becasue you can create someting unique, there is also webs.com.

31. Dale Nelson profile image37
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Funny you should ask as i have a hub about setting up a website.Let me know if you got the answers or if I need to add to it

32. Mobile Phones profile image59
    Mobile Phonesposted 14 years ago

Blogger and Wordpress.

33. Snowfire profile image60
    Snowfireposted 14 years ago

Get cheapest domains at domainsearchindia.com
    Cheapest hosting at hosthelpers.com

Also chk......http://hubpages.com/hub/Create-New-Websites-at-ease

34. FreedomFireCom profile image61
    FreedomFireComposted 14 years ago

I've friends and clients who are very pleased with their experience using SBI for building business websites.  They are very cost effective, feature rich, include SEO-SEM principles embedded into design (you're all setup for search targeted traffic), great customer support.  Includes hosting too.

Pretty simple process and the results were websites that not only "looked good" .... but raked in traffic and buying customers.  Not too shabby.

They have a "do it yourself" package and a "do it for you" package.  Both are exceptional and reasonably priced.  They include ongoing training too.

You can get more information from these:

<snipped promotional links>

You could go with wordpress or something else ..... learn all the html scripting yourself .... plus figure out all the SEO tricks to build in on your own.  And don't forget you'd still need hosting (I usually recommend 1X1.com or Hostgator when asked).  But .... it's more complicated and more expensive to go that route.

SBI is just plain simpler.

35. sibaja_software profile image60
    sibaja_softwareposted 14 years ago

If you will have modest bandwidth needs, your hosting should not be more that 20USD, the domain name should cost you no more than 10USD.

Wordpress and Joomla are both free and excellent frameworks within to build very sophisticated sites, and best of all they are free.  You may need to invest in some good tech books and a good bit of time.

36. Susana S profile image90
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

My reccomendation would be Homestead.com - the paid edition, which I've been using for about a year. I pay around £20 per month (not sure what that is in dollars). For that you get your own web address, .com, .net etc and 5 email accounts all at yoursite.com

You also get to use their templates to make your own fully customisable site. It's a WYSIWIG editor that you download that's simple to use. You can use their storefront feature if you want to sell stuff. I've also integrated my amazon & adsense accounts with it no probs.

Plus you can create email distribution lists easily.

The cost includes hosting which I've had no problems with and loads of band width - much more than I could ever use.

You can monitor all your site stats easily.

Each page you create can be really simply optimised by adding keyword tags, title and page descriptions.

If you want a look at my site there's a link on my profile page.

37. Mobile Phones profile image59
    Mobile Phonesposted 14 years ago

I vote for an independent HTML website. Just register your domain name and buy some space on a server. Create your HTML website and upload.

This give you the freedom to arrange the page as you wish. Blogger or wordpress do not allow this freedom.

Also HTML website can be custom improved for SEO and Revenue sources.

1. incomingprofits profile image59
      incomingprofitsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i completlely agree with this because if you create your own website you have more control over how exactly you want to look, plus if you want to change it later on you dont have to pay again. i have a product that teaches everything you need to know to BUILD YOUR OWN WEBSITE. check out <snipped promotional link> and go to the products page and select the how to "build your own minisite". that product has videos that teach you step by step from getting hosting to building a complete website.

38. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Hi my smashbreeze blog is through wordpress and in relation to my website smashbreeze, wich is through just host at £2.95 a month with free domain and my other website downshifters has free domain and hosting and thats through hpage. Both are good and easy to use.

39. cmstretton profile image61
    cmstrettonposted 14 years ago

There are many people saying do this do that..

My advise is go to
                          www.cmitsolutions.co.uk 

Click on the hosting Tab and buy your domain name for 1 of fee.

40. caymanhost profile image59
    caymanhostposted 14 years ago

Since posting my last comment on this thread about 000Webhost there have been a lot of developments.

I am therefore going to post a link because it is very relevant and contains a lot of information that I think is essential for anyone who is still thinking of using them.

Trying to out shout an army of hopeful affiliates is not easy but after all that I have seen and read it's become a bit of a crusade. (Please note affiliates, you are never going to see a penny if other's experiences are anything to go by and you are not only being scammed but you are unwittingly furthering possibly much more unpalatable behavior)

There are now so many RED FLAGS waving over this operation that you really need to be careful. It's all here in its unpleasant details

http://www.thecaymanhost.com/hosting-re … webhostcom

41. Stanley_19802 profile image59
    Stanley_19802posted 14 years ago

Hello,

I have been running a web site for many years. My site used to cost me nothing, but then the service started charging. I was bracing for a hella high price tag. But instead it was very fair. I use a program called Homestead (www.homestead.com) The basic package is $20.00. If you want a .com address they charge a $10.00 set up fee and then $2.00 a month. For the $20.00, they give you unlimited pages, as many as you want per site, and you can have more than one site on your account. I think I have about 6, some mine, some I made for friends. They give you I beleive 5120MB of space, 3 e-mail accounts for your site to have a yourname@yourwebsitename.com type of setup. Besides all the space, what I love most about the program is they give you a site builder. You can work on your site online, or offines if your internet happens to be down and then upload changes later. Because the site builder is drag and drop, I don't have to know ANY html to use it. But at the same time, if you prefer to use html, or want to put some html in, you can. With the drag and drop, if I want a picture, I click on picture and then upload the picture and it puts it on the page. I just drag it to where I want it on the page and let go. Done. I can built a quite large page in just a few minutes. They have an option to try it out for 30.00 days before you have to pay for it. Hope you find the service that works for ya. Take care. smile

-Stanley

42. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The cost all gets down to bandwidth and the interface. If you have a lot of subscribers to host, it is expensive if you send out newsletters every fortnight etc. If it is a simple sales page or a few pages just make sure it has cpanel and the usual server side essentials that you see in other packages, real available bandwidth and CPU access is what costs the money..

43. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

spammin along? Uh-oh...

44. eg33k profile image60
    eg33kposted 14 years ago

If you have ZERO HTML or web design experience, most web hosts now offer easy website builder tools which are web-based, point/click/type online site creators. Mostt are less than $5-$10 month and include a free domain.

The only drawback is that the site you create with such tools is not portable to another host should you ever choose to move.

See:
    http://www.1and1.com
    http://www.webfusion.com
    http://www.web.com

45. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

How did this 9 month old thread get dug up?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)