Are Atheists un-authorized spokespersons of Science?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (86 posts)
  1. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

The Atheists often demonstrate as if they are authorized spokespersons of Science.

I don’t think so.

1. pisean282311 profile image61
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

science is not religion...it is for all humans and doesnot divide humans...science is bigger than what ever divides humans and every human is indebted to science ...science doesnot need spokesperson since its benefits are reaped universally....for e.g. we dont know who used first tool for agriculture but whoever did opened new horizon for humans...without science humans would be still in jungle...religion does need spokepersons because religion needs marketing to survive...without marketing religion cant survive , spirituality would since quest for timeless question would still exist...look at present religions...they didnt exist 5k years back but quest of science still existed...

1. profile image49
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yet there are atheists agnostics skeptics who demonstrate as if they are un-authorized spokespersons of science. Theists also make use of science; it is common with the everybody. Science has nothing to do with the atheists agnostics skeptics.

Science does not approve of the atheists; does it?

1. dingdondingdon profile image61
          dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Science is not a person, so it doesn't have opinions on any groups of people.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
          kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I shall repeat, people who discuss science and their understanding of it are not spokespersons of science. Just because they disagree with your efforts to force your religion on them and use scientific facts to show you that your religion is not fact does not make them spokespersons of science.

3. pisean282311 profile image61
          pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@parr yes science neither does approve nor disapprove atheist...but science has raised doubt against religious god...so it does hint at disapproving religious god but it has still to reach that point..eventually it would but i doubt science would reach point of atheism itself...many science are atheist , many are theist , many are agnostic...lately number of agnostic scientist are increasing since religion is failing to answer quest of science and in end it would never be able to answer querying brain...

4. profile image0
          Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

paarsurrey, the context of your statement indicates that you have no idea what science is.

Science is simply the observation, testing, and documentation of anything. If you watch a boiled egg, measure how long it takes to get hard, that's science. If you observe the distance that people with long legs walk and compare it with the distance that people with short legs walk, that's science.

Science is NOT a religion. It is simple observation and examination.

Why does science say that evolution happened? Because they found the evidence, i.e. they saw the skeletons, examined the DNA and a million other things.

You, yourself, use and listen to science all day long. When you listen to the weather channel predictions, you're listening to science. When you take a tablet because you have a cold, that's the result of science. People (scientists) saw that a certain substance made people better, ran a few tests, then put it in a package. That's science.

You seem to think that science has a 'bible' of some sort, and that people 'believe' that bible. Science doesn't have a bible. The only rules in science are observe and test, observe and test, until all the tests come out with only one possible answer.

When atheists and agnostics refer to science, they're essentially saying , in a polite way, "Listen dummy, if you want to take a solid look without blinkers, your own eyes will show you what is happening."

However, just because atheists and agnostics are polite people, they rather say, "science says..."

1. profile image49
            paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where did they test that the Creator-God does not exist?

They never did it; they cannot do it; it is beyond them; it is none of their business.

Science only discoveres, it creates nothing from annihilation; only the Creator-God  created everything.

Why it becomes so difficult to understand for the people of doubt?

It is the Creator-God who set the big bang explosion and set natural evolution for life; science never did it.

1. profile image0

Science has never said that there was no God. Science has said that it cannot prove whether there is a God or not.

1. profile image49

I don't need any proof of the existence of the Creator-God; everybody should believe in Him very naturally; though his signs are numerous and found everywhere.

Like one believes in one's father very naturally, without a proof; one believed in one's father even when there was no science and scientists; it is none of their business.

1. profile image0

Um.

2. skyfire profile image79
                  skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So going by that reasoning, there has to be god of allah. Prove me wrong.

1. profile image49

There is only ONE; none other than Him has spoken to a human being, intelligently:

[20:12] And when he came to it, he was called by a voice, ‘O Moses,
                    [20:13] ‘Verily, I am thy Lord. So take off thy shoes; for thou art in the sacred Valley of Tuwa.
                    [20:14] ‘And I have chosen thee; so hearken to what is revealed.
                    [20:15] ‘Verily, I am Allah; there is no God beside Me. So serve Me, and observe Prayer for My remembrance.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=10

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Science is a cacophony of ignorance and all those who trust in it also becomes the same...Theist and Atheist alike...

But both use it to justify their belief....
      because their existence can only be justified by acquiring many followers unto themselves....

Which in itself shows the character of ignorance.

You think the field of study responsible for discovering gravity and developing life-saving medicine and surgery is "a cacophony of ignorance"?

1. kirstenblog profile image78

It certainly would seem so, also that if we all stopped believing in gravity it would cease to exist and I guess we would all just float away.

2. kess profile image60

Yes it is....what have they done for man other than create more ways for men to die?

They have saved many, many lives. They may even have saved your mother's: scientific and medical advancements have prevented the deaths of millions of women in childbirth.

1. kess profile image60

Where are they ... lol

Who? The millions of women saved? They're all around you. My mother is one of them.

1. profile image49

There is no harm in using the medicine or treatment of the doctors; the ingredients of the medicine are taken from the nature, never created by anybody from annihilation, one should thank the doctors and should be more thankful to the Creator-God who created these ingredients for human benefit.

A theist doctor surely is thankful to God. Atheist scientists and doctors won't see the point in being thankful to a being they don't believe in.

2. kess profile image60

Don't be fooled my friend... Life takes care of its own...
                  Science is a mere imitation and a poor one at that, this is why it tries to take all the credit...

Life doesn't take care of its own. If not for surgeons performing a Caesarian on my mother I would not be alive.

2. kirstenblog profile image78

Insulin for diabetics, the heating in your house that keeps you warm during cold winters, the very house you live in....

Seriously, go get an education! Come back and play with us when you have a brain to play with!

1. kess profile image60

Since Insulin what has become of diabetes...
              How did man survived the winter before central heating....

I tell you truly ... more dies from these thing than Live...

Education LOL....who are the one that desires an education and for what purpose....?

Life precededs and will still be when they are gone....

Life is not ignorant

Many people DIDN'T survive the winter before central heating. That's the point.

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
            Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah well Kess I guess you should just go and live as a caveman then because everything you have and use only came about by science smile including the computer you are posting on.

Now if you are saying science is a cacophony of ignorance, well that ignorance has allowed you to post your ig...........

1. profile image49

Science is a tool in service of humanity; like a knife is in one's hand; one can cut vegetable or fruit with it.

Science should be used under morals and spiritual guidance provided by the Creator-God; otherwise man could be destroyed by his own hands.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

We might say then that western defence companies are operating under the spiritual guidance of God already as by the will of God we have advanced weaponry keeping us safe from middle eastern nutters who think the Quran authorises them to this day to kill the western infidel.

2. kess profile image60
              kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ignorance has always been and forever will be the tool of knowledge....anyone who realises this will no longer remain ignorant but instead will be knowledge.

A caveman without a need is greater than the rich men with all this worlds goods for in it and by he will never find peace....

So this caveman I will gladly be....

The caveman will be washing dishes and doing the laundry, but will be reading a book in the sunshine sipping on a nice beer. smile with the additional benefit that I'm not riddled with worms lice and other life sucking parasites. Come to think of it, I'm 41 and the caveman would have been pushing up daisies.

2. profile image49
    3. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is ok, Paar. Those who are believers, are "authorized spokepersons" for "gods law and judgement" regardless of the fact, most do not have any formal education. So I would say it is fair across the board.

If believers can "speak the truth" about religion(faith/god/allah), by simply reading a bible/qu'ran (sacred texts) and having "god's understanding"

Then a non-believer can "speak the facts" of science, by simply reading books and having "logical understanding"

4. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

who are 'authorised' spokespersons of science?  Muslims?

1. profile image49

Science is a faculty; it does not need a spokesperson; it is the atheists who eulogize it out of proportion; within its field it is OK; out of it, it is nothing.

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image80
          Slarty O'Brianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God is a fantasy. It doesn't need a spokesman it is the theists who eulogize it out of proportion; even within it's field it is nothing.

5. Slarty O'Brian profile image80

Some atheists are science minded and rely on science rather than primitive books written by primitive superstitious  people who believed in the supernatural.

But other atheists are not science minded.

Most scientists these days are atheists so they speak for themselves.

2. dingdondingdon profile image61
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

Scientists are the spokesperson on science. Many scientists are atheists. Additionally many atheists are quite knowledgable about science and enjoy discussing and sharing their information.

1. profile image49

Many scinetists are Theists as well. Does that make them a spokesperson of Science in general?

I don't think Science made anybody their spokesperson.

As far as science is not an official organization no, it has no spokesperson. It does have established and respected voices in the community who precendence is given to thanks to their experience; for example, Stephen Hawking (who is an atheist by the way).

2. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoever told you that was probably smirking at the time.

2. profile image49

Many scientiest are believers. Additionally many believers are quite knowledgable about science and enjoy discussing and sharing their information.

Science is tool of human beings; anybody can use this tool. I don't think atheists are first-born of the science.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are lying, again. Many scientists are NOT believers.

Again, that is false, few believers are knowledgeable about science and most despise science.

Spreading Islamic propaganda, again? smile

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Just because people discuss science and their understanding of it does not make them spokespersons of science.

1. profile image49

In the same way people does discuss religion.

Does science approve atheists? If not; then why demonstrate it as such.

Science is a complementary of Religion; both are essential for human life.

The Theists are thankful to science and scientists but more thankful to the Creator-God, who created everything including the science only discovers, at a given point of time, what is already in existence in the nature, created by the Creator-God.

1. kirstenblog profile image78

Science does not approve or disapprove of atheism or theism it simply states that there is no proof of a God so a God cannot be called fact. If you have faith that is fine, its the very basis of every religion I have studied, because faith exists in the absence of fact. When people discuss science they are discussing something verifiable, like why apples fall from trees. Fact is eventually every apple on a tree will fall, we call that gravity which is a theory but the apple falling is a fact.

4. White Teeth profile image61
    White Teethposted 13 years ago

It is usually not so much as being spokesman…it is more like people knowledgeable in science attempting to explain how it works to people who have about a 3rd grader’s understanding of science…

5. profile image0
    jomineposted 13 years ago

Anybody who can think rationally is a scientist and hence can say for science.
    But you don't understand rationality, do you?

6. profile image49

The atheists agnostics skeptics demonstrate as if they are un-authorized spokespersons of science. Theists also make use of science; it is common with the everybody. Science has nothing to do with the atheists agnostics skeptics; it is not their sole enterprize.

Science does not approve of the atheists; does it?

Science is a method, hence it doesn't have or require spokespersons.

How can a method approve of a group of people? Your question makes no sense at all. Try to spend the time to understand what science is rather than making up lies.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

another attack on ateists?

7. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I don't consider them spokespersons of science. I wouldn't think they consider themselves that either. I think an atheist tries to use science to show reason in contrast to what they consider the unreasonable. Ration against what they consider to be the irrational.

Or, maybe they are simply using science to point out that people looking for answers can find mystery enough to sate their appetite here in the physical world, without trying to use their imagination to see beyond.

There's a host of possibilities as reason for any particular behavior pattern without assuming something rude, such as the OP appears to suggest. smile

8. profile image49

Neither science nor the scientist ever authorized atheists to speak on behalf of the science; so at the most the atheists could be unauthorised spokespersons of science or scientists.

Perhaps, but notice that there is absolutely no point to your attack on atheists, it's just a pointless attack. smile

2. profile image49

That position can be accepted for the atheists agnostics apatheist skeptics; they represent science and scientists unauthorized.

Ah yes, I've seen that before, the "Broken Pencil" argument, in which one needs to be "authorized" in order to practice the scientific method.

From where or whom such an authority is to issue their authorization is still unclear, but still equally pointless. smile

3. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    4. profile image49
  9. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Atheists- People of Doubt represent science and scientists unauthorized.

10. profile image49

Atheists- People of Doubt are no champions of science.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Again, you drawing attention to yourself. Why? Are you mentally ill? Do you have some sane reason? If so, what is it?

You keep bring the same nonsense to the thread you've started, as to hope to change people's minds or point out something that isn't true.

It is YOU who lacks knowledge, not people who don't believe like you.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The answer is in the past Cags, some of the rantings under a previous puppet provides the clue. smile

Who was the previous puppet?

I better not say, last time I outed a sock puppet I got banned and he stayed. smile Several here know who it was, but the identity was a paranoid who hated every religion or belief except his own and got permanently wiped out no doubt for rants against jews, masons, christians and a dozen others.

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image80

Muslims do not understand science anymore since they decided everything is stated in their primitive superstitious book. What happened to Islam? It used to produce scientists. Now it only produces sheep and terrorists. Why are you not ashamed of the current state of  Islam?

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

An excellent and clear explanation Sophia.

I await the reply! smile

12. profile image49

I know the atheists agnostics skeptics can not talk of reason they only talk of "shi*t" .

If they talk with reason , their meaningful sentence would be complete without it as it only adds bad smell to their reason which was weak as ever even to start with.

1. skyfire profile image79

Says paar ? wink What's your educational qualification by the way ? Graduate in arts, literature, religious studies, accounts ? and you to talk about reason ? Still waiting for your proof Mr Scientific religious tongue

1. profile image49

Please come on with reason, knowledge, rationality, revelation the requirement of a discussion.

I have no claim to piety or being a scholar; I am an ordinary man on the street in search of Truth.

1. skyfire profile image79

I always knocked you out with reason, kiddo. Remember threads where you got pwned for your quran's verse spam on islamic violence/errors ? ofcourse you don't, you're having faith for reason. wink

really ?If you're ordinary man -searching for allah-biased truth then please show me proof for your claim of ' there is only one god allah' other than some quran text spam. Do you understand faith vs empirical proof ? and you talk about- reason, knowledge, rationality? Go get some education instead of blabbering about revelation by accusing atheists/agnostics.

2. profile image49

42 the meaning of life is 42.

3. Slarty O'Brian profile image80

If you are really in search of truth then pout down your stupid barbaric primitive book and come into the 21st century instead of living and thinking like a barbarian of two thousand years ago.

I do not believe you are in search of truth. You are in search of a way to promote your primitive fantasy.

13. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

6431 posts
        Hubs: 2

14. profile image49

With the advent of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 the Promised Messiah Religion has been reformed to its original peaceful meaning as it descended on Muhammad from the Creator-God.

He missed about 40,000 hate filled psychotic bits he needs to rewrite.

2. profile image49

Quran is a complete book of systems; Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 the Promised Messiah only tells the true meanings .

I don't suppose he is coming back too is he? smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)