Blame it on impatience, but I'm feeling disappointed

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. mskills profile image82
    mskillsposted 12 years ago

I know this forum gets a lot of these posts, but I'm new here and bewildered regarding the rather quiet reception my first hubs have garnered.  Oh, I'm not surprised at the lack of search engine traffic, but I was hoping to get some sort of feedback on what I'm doing right or wrong.

Some of my expectations are likely misplaced.  I used to write for Epinions, and the structure there encouraged members to read new works and critique them.  My interest in joining HubPages is that the scope is much broader, allowing one to write about anything that the author fancies.

I've been answering questions and commenting on as many hubs that I can find something useful to say, to no avail.  So, I'm here to humbly ask you all to check out a hub of mine (doesn't matter which one) and please give me your thoughts on what I could do to improve.

Thank you.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
      DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok. I read one and commented.  Like everyone keeps telling me here, give it time. Patience is a virtue. smile

mskillsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I just responded to your comment on the SwagBucks hub.  It isn't helping my impatience that I see other new hubbers with more comments and followers than me.  I'll just need to stop taking it personally.

2. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

Agree - you're doing just fine. your hubs are rating quite high and are interesting.
    Most people here don't give a lot of critical analysis of hubs. We just enjoy writing, hopefully make some money and enjoy reading others.
    If you wan't help in particular areas, ask for it.
    If you want to fight, go into one of Forum religious threads.

Just keep writing and enjoy and ask for some pointers in the Forums.

Ah, this explains a lot.  I know this is just anecdotal, but it does appear that the hubs regarding subjective and opinionated topics (like the religious ones you mentioned) are more likely to receive member comments.  How does one balance writing for profit versus writing for feedback?

Thank you for checking out my hubs, Peter.  I'll try becoming active in the forums as you've suggested.

1. Peter Owen profile image60
        Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depends on your intent for wanting feedback. If you just want to create a controvercy and have a lot of comments, this will inially get your hub a lot of views from Hubbers, but not much from the search engines which in the long run will determine your earnings.
        I would focus on writing good articles of interest and people will find it. then dabble with some writing for feedback and see what happens. You might just develp your own specialty niche.

Sage advice.  I'm just worried that I'm wasting my time with the product and service reviews even though I do genuinely enjoy writing them.  I'm not gifted at sparking controversy and would prefer not to resort to writing "hot button" topics in order to succeed here.

3. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

i loved the ant hub and recommend it to anyone

Thank you, I had fun writing that piece.  I know that an article on ant prevention isn't generally very appealing to read, but I tried my best to inject some humor into it.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You succeeded.  Good luck with your writing... and those ants of course.  If you were to let them gradually destroy the foundations of your home that would make for an interesting series of hubs.

Ah, but where would I sit to gather my thoughts for my next hub if my house collapsed?  Ha, guess that question also begs for an article.   Thanks for the encouragement.

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I enjoyed your hub on ants - a fun read with an informative message as well.  Critique of the hub:

I might suggest an additional photo or two.  The one is great and certainly applicable to the hub, but contributes nothing to the humor (which I enjoyed).

A first paragraph heading with keywords might help SEO as well.

None of the ads I am seeing are particularly applicable to the hub; either it is new or google is not managing to pick up enough keywords to find suitable ads.

Overall, a great job; keep writing!

You will probably find that few hubbers will actually critique a hub in the comments box.  Many don't like it done to them and most of us are a little gunshy there and won't do it.  You are encouraged to post a link to a hub or two in this forum (the only forum you may do that in) and ask for help, where you will most likely get it.  At least negative criticism doesn't stay on your hub for everyone to read forever.

Thank you wilderness.

Great idea regarding using photos to depict humor.  I tend to do a better job relating humor through words than pictures, so I'll need to make a conscious effort to balance the text with appropriate images.

Also, I didn't know that the first paragraph heading was recommended.  Looking at the articles from a reader's perspective, it seems like the top level title makes it redundant.  I guess I'll need to figure out a way to incorporate the heading in way that doesn't look like SEO bait.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I don't know about the header.  "The Ants are Coming", "Spring time Ant Invasion", "Getting Ready For the Ants", etc.  There ought to be something that could fit reasonably well as well as incorporate a little SEO.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I would also suggest you write a separate keyword rich summary if you haven't already done so.

Hubpages used to use the first paragraph in the absence of a separate summary, but I'm not so sure they are doing that anymore - I found a few of my hubs were no longer optimized for search engine traffic despite them having keyword rich first paragraphs.

By keyword rich I mean use the words in your title and url and expand them by a couple of sentences.

Excellent idea.  I've played around with the summaries but haven't given much thought to their importance.  SEO is one of those fields that, while I understand its importance, I hate for needing to exist.   

Any suggestions of hubs to read where the author has quantifiable findings on choosing the best keywords for traffic?

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think there are any hubs with that kind of information and there are plenty on SEO if you search.

I recently discovered http://www.google.com/insights/search

Have fun!

Okay, that site absolutely rocks.  Thank you so much!

6. mskills profile image82
    mskillsposted 12 years ago

Just wanted to thank everyone for the insightful and supportive comments.  Considering my mood when I posted this morning, today turned out to be my favorite HubPages moment so far.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)