What is the best way to get traffic on hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Etherealenigma profile image68
    Etherealenigmaposted 11 years ago

What is the best way to get traffic on hubpages?

Is it by the quality of your hubs or the frequency of your communication in the community? I've seen different articles that encouraged people to get noticed by being more social, claiming that that would increase interest and traffic; and then on the other hand, I' ve recently read articles where the writer stressed the quality of the writing as the most important variable. Which do you think it is?

2. CWanamaker profile image93
    CWanamakerposted 11 years ago

After having been on HubPages for over a year, I can attest that the quality of your content plays the largest role in maintaining a long term level of high traffic to an article.  High quality content will naturally spread and gain readership over time as people link to it. Bookmarking and being more social does help to a certain extent but it is not sustainable over the long term.  In the end low quality content will get buried in the depths of the Internet and readers will stop coming once you when you stop being social.

My goal here is to write high quality content and then be able to sit back and not do anything afterwards. That is truly what passive income is about.

Etherealenigmaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, that's similar to my goals as well, although I would still continue to write, simply because I love sharing info. I've been trying to get a handle on the social bookmarking thing, but I don't fully understand the system yet. Thanks.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

My most successful hub has four to six comments on it.

I've got hubs with over a hundred comments.....and get NOTHING even remotely close to the search engine traffic the one with the four to six comments.

While the social heavy comment and return comment bits do equate some small change....that isn't where the money is at.

Money on the web comes from search engine traffic....no way around that at all.

Thanks Wes. I appreciate that info.

4. NC4Life078 profile image75
    NC4Life078posted 11 years ago

Both play an intricate role into receiving traffic. If your active in the community people will be more likely to read your atricles. But, if you have noticed "Community Traffic" tends to cease after several days. Where as search engine traffic will be a continuous stream to success.

Now, if you share these articles on social networking sites and they are well written. More than likely someone will share them. This will help increase your PageRank in Google and lead to further success. In otherwords, focus on writing good quality articles. Participate in the community and educate yourself with SEO tricks.

This is as straight forward as I can be as both variables are equally important. It will be up to you to decide what you wish to do to promote your articles. I have written a few hubs that may help you out, feel free to visit the link, otherwise I hope this answer was what you were looking forward too.

http://nc4life078.hubpages.com/hub/Impr … gle-Rating

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My second most successful page here has a lot of comments on it....very very few of those are from the Hubpages community.

The Hubpages community and their comments are vastly over rated in terms of gauging success.

2. NC4Life078 profile image75
      NC4Life078posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, yet, it is extremely beneficial regardless. One of my best traffic hubs comes majorily from Hub Pages. It receieves some search engine views, but, since I have created it it seems everyone wants to read it (Even though the Hub score is 79).

3. Etherealenigma profile image68

Thank you NC4Life. You too, Wes.

5. Cruncher profile image88
    Cruncherposted 11 years ago

I have written a hub on this topic already but only from the point of view of a fellow newbie!

I think it depends what you want, but "organic" sustainable traffic from search engines is what I go for. That's how you get a large number of views long term (not that I have yet!).

That means writing something good enough that people link to it or share it, thus getting genuine word of mouth. You can also help yourself by promoting your pages on social media and linking to them (genuinely not spammily) from elsewhere - but I'm not very good at the promotion thing.

Marketing is a little bit of a struggle for me. I do some, but time is an issue. Like you, I want that long term traffic. This makes more sense to me. So I think I'm just going to invest in writing great articles, and leave the social thing alone.

6. eddiecarrara profile image93
    eddiecarraraposted 11 years ago

If you're looking for search engine traffic (Google) you need to start with keywords people are searching for, it wont do you any good to write about something no one is searching for, if you were to write a hub on "Cruise to Zimbabwe" vs "Cruise to Alaska", which one would get more traffic? There are no searches for Cruise to Zimbabwe but over 300K searches for Cruise to Alaska. So use the Google keyword tool and do your research before you even write the title of your hub.
    Next; make it good quality content that you can't find any where else on the web, it needs to be unique and interesting with lots of pictures and videos if it will help explain your hub better, just remember, people like pictures, and plus, it dresses up your hub and breaks up the text. Label your pictures and videos with good descriptions and key words from your title, your pictures will also be picked up by the search engines and will send readers to your hub smile but make sure they are your personal pictures, (don't use pictures from the web if you can help it) you may also want to embed your hub url right in the picture, people can find your hubs by seeing your url right on the pic.
    Don't write about over saturated topics like exercise or dog training, you'll never get your foot in the door, unless it's extremely unique and has never been written about before, but I think those niches are flooded with information.
    Give your hub time to ferment, it takes time for you hub to reach the first couple of pages of Google in order to get organic traffic, traffic from the HubPages community is great and the feed back is awesome, but its short lived. If you make it to the first page of Google, in second or third place, your traffic will skyrocket, but make sure it's a topic people are searching for, If you wrote a hub on cruise to Zimbabwe, I guarantee you will make it to the #1 spot in Google for those keywords, but who's searching for that topic? See my hub ( Why is Keyword Research Important?) it will explain keywords and the Google keyword tool in more detail.
    I know this was long winded, but I can't answer that question in one sentence.

1. eddiecarrara profile image93
      eddiecarraraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One more thing for more traffic, If you get comments on your hub, it's like new content, and Google likes new content, so when answering questions or comments, slip the keyword in your comment because it adds to the content, and the more content you

2. Etherealenigma profile image68

Hey Eddie,
      I don't mind that it was long winded...it was good info, and that's what I'm looking for. I really appreciate your time in giving me that answer. Thanks.

3. eddiecarrara profile image93
      eddiecarraraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Etherealenigma,
      It would have been longer but Hubpages cut me off, then I tried to continue in the comments but I was cut off there too,lol.  Glad I could help, and if you ever need advice, you know where to find me smile

7. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

I think what everybody has said here pretty much sums it up.  At first a newbie is praised and adored by other hubbers, but after awhile it becomes very cumbersome to keep following other hubbers and also write good articles.

My goal has always been to make Google happy.  THAT is how you get page views.

Everybody is always guessing about what Google wants, but in the long run, one must remember that what they want is to make money, and they can only do that if people are reading what you write.

I think a lot depends, also, on topic.  I have noticed that those who are really good with technological subjects seem to do well.  Of course, they are also the ones who spend a lot of time marketing their work.

Personally, I think marketing, in the long run, is a waste of time.  Either your work is popular and readable, or it isn't.

Most writers would give their eye teeth to have Google tell them exactly what they want, but of course, that will never happen.

So, we just have to use our common sense.

Write well, research well, know your topic, make your work unique then pray that what you write is something the world will want to read!

I think your first paragraph sums it up for me T. I started out just writing. Then,  I read a few articles that stated that you have to get more involved in the community, so I've been tinkering with that, but I really don't see that much in results.

8. Galaxy-Gal profile image61
    Galaxy-Galposted 8 years ago

A long-term strategy is to build a marketing platform using social media. I am taking this approach, but am at the early stages so I haven't seen results yet. I am building a presence on Twitter and Reddit, and when I am engaged I will start to share my own material. Eventually you build an online "net" that will capture and draw readers in...provided you have created a body of well-written, relevant content. Once the infrastructure is in place traffic will take care of itself but it does take a lot of time to do this. How do I know? I've done it before for work. Unfortunately that channel would not work for my Hubpages content.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)