Why is it that you believe?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

Why is it that very educated, scientific, logical minds believe in the supernatural?  How is it that billions of people everywhere believe in a higher power of some sort, be it a god, alien, or whatever?  Now I know why many of you don't believe.  But I am really interested in knowing why a believer believes.  Or why someone who is now agnostic or atheist who once believe stopped or why they believed in a higher power once before?  I am think about writing a hub on this subject as part of my "bad church" series. And, well i am also curious as to why it is in us to believe in something or someone that we have never spoken to face to face, much less seen.  Thanks.

1. parrster profile image83
      parrsterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good question. In a nutshell, my faith results from reasoning, experiencing and an innate sense of conviction; almost instinctive. I elaborate on these points in my hub Big questions of Life.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read your hub. Left a comment. Not that you're going to like it, but did.

1. kmackey32 profile image63
          kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image50
      ibneahmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is very natural to believe in Him; there is nothing wrong about it. Universe, one of His creation, existed before the scientists; they only cofirm the laws of nature; they don't create them. The being who set the universe to follow the natural laws is the Creator God; it is wrong to deny Him.

He does not force anybody in believing or denying Him.

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Its very natural not to use ones brain. After all brain is the highest "energy" utilizing organ and all organisms try to preserve energy as much as possible and hence try to use it as less possible. Your are right, its natural to believe in god.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68
        IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It truly does feel natural believing in Jesus and God.  It does for me I should add.  It scares me to go without that comfort.

3. Ms Dee profile image86
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

After reading the posts collected here, the other thing that comes to mind is that all else leads to destruction. There is only one way that leads to life.

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 12 years ago

Interesting, I was thinking of something similar to your question, today. 

Why do I believe?  Because, as a child I came to the conclusion that God is imperfect in that he could not go against the laws of logic in creating life.  Today, I concluded that God created the laws of human existence, therefore humans exist.  (Qwark would ask - what is this God thing?  Right now, I think I'd answer with this:  The laws of human existence)

The world, the universe, the cosmos in general, and life as we know it is too logical to have occurred by an accident of a Big Bang, or through evolutionary processes alone.  However, there are still miracles which trump the laws of nature.  Why?  I believe because God makes it possible. 

Without God, miracles would not be possible because miracles don't follow the laws of logic.

I love how you worded your post.  You make some very intriguing points. Thanks for sharing.

3. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I used to be a believer in God, for the same reason that most people believe - because I am afraid of death.  However, whilst most people manage to persuade themselves that this isn't the reason they turn to religion, and convince themselves that there is evidence for the existence of God, I was never able to do this.  I was only too well aware that my belief was based upon fear, and I came to question this as a foundation for any logical belief.

I therefore began to research all religion, and even studied "World Religions" at degree level.  I came to the conclusion that thee is no evidence for any god, and that science had evidence for how life evolved, and how the universe developed.  Science however, is seen by many religious believers as a threat to their beliefs, and it is for this reason why the most scientific in society are also the least religious.  In order to believe in irrational beliefs, it is necessary for the believer to deny science in order for them to cling onto their mediaeval thinking.

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.

Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

this is an interesting view.  I happen to believe in both - science & God.  In fact, I think the more science does to explain how & why the world exists, the more it proves (to me) the existence of God.

I have to ask this:  did you ever ask yourself Why?  As in:  Why is my religious belief based on fear?  Does my religious belief have to be based on fear? 

I also think it's funny when people claim religious beliefs are irrational.  Maybe it's because I'm more spiritual than religious - but, don't you think it's possible to believe in God without following the "irrational" beliefs?

Nice meeting you, btw.  smile

4. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

As much as I believe in science and hate religions (as opposed to spirituality), I cannot fathom matter having always existed. No start, no purpose.

1. profile image0
      Sherlock221bposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought matter did have a beginning, if the Big Bang Theory is correct.

1. Peter Owen profile image61
        Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, but expansion and contraction theory also leads to prior big bangs going backward to infinity. Again, no start'

1. profile image0
          Sherlock221bposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Science used to believe in a steady universe, which had existed in its current form for eternity.  Then it developed the idea of the Big Bang, thus giving the universe a beginning.  Now, the contraction theory would once again return us to the idea of there being no beginning.  In addition, the multiverse theory now theorises that the Big Bang of our universe is only one amongst possibly billions of others, and that our universe is therefore only one in a multiverse.  Even if our universe, and the others, if there are others did have a beginning, it is almost impossible for the human mind to comprehend how something could begin from nothing.  And if there was a time when nothing existed, what made matter create itself out of nothing,  And how long would that nothing have existed before it became something?  And if there are many other universes,  what lies outside them? And, why does my brain hurt?

1. Peter Owen profile image61
            Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly - now you gave me a headache too - LOL.
            That incomprehension is what causes me to believe in something, though I can't define it

Exactly!  A life of logic leaves no room for accidents or miracles or possibilities or probabilities or anything other than...Logic.

1. OutWest profile image56
              OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But isn't life more than just that (logic)?

1. Rafini profile image82

(yeah, that was my point)

5. ershruti304 profile image60
    ershruti304posted 12 years ago

This is just an excuse for escaping certain questions which are difficult to answer

6. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

This life is kinda like going to the amusement park.

Some children are figureing out how the rides were built and what makes them work... AND   That's OK

The other children are just riding the rides without giving it any thought.  Just A Laffing  and  A screaming at every turn.

1. Rafini profile image82

it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round - right Jerami?  smile

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.   If we get rid of them that are a thorn in our sides, somebody else is going to loose a conforter.

Edit   ...  and then they become a thorn in somebody elses side when otherwise they wouldn't have

Sorry  I had to step out side for a few.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)