Is this the way to get traffic to hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)
  1. sid_candid profile image57
    sid_candidposted 12 years ago

I came across this information on Seekyt.com on how to get your article to better ranking in Google:
    http://seekyt.com/get-your-seekyt-artic … of-google/

Is this all useful information and can be applied to increase traffic to our hubs?

1. kschang profile image87
      kschangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Relatively generic advice.

I find joining up all those ancillary places to be most of waste of time. You'll be spending too much time joining and updating those other places to actually write content.

The keyword check stuff is not bad, and I'm checking the backlink inspector now. However, don't use those backlink generators. Those are worthless.

2. vietnamvet68 profile image61
      vietnamvet68posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately you will never get a better ranking on Google. Google is out to destroy HP therefore HP articles are listed way down the list and it will never improve I'm afraid, the traffic is almost dead around here anymore.

2. sid_candid profile image57

Hi Hubbers
    Still waiting for your response to this as it seems to be an useful resource on SEO and driving traffic to your articles.

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Hi before you  follow the advice it might be worth checking if some of it conflicts with terms of service for Adsense or here.

4. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 12 years ago

The first part of the article sounds pretty good, but I would defer to someone more knowledgeable, like Darkside, Sunforged or Thisisoli on the backlinking part. After all, I've never, ever seen a Seekyt URL rank anywhere near page 1. smile

1. vox vocis profile image81
      vox vocisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That was before smile Seekyt has changed a lot; it became an article submitting site (only) and it achieved the PR value 3 in less than a year. Not bad for a "baby" site smile

Also, I wrote an article (actually collected a nice list of original, fresh quotes) titled "Depression quotes." There are about 33,000,000 results for this keyword, and my Seekyt article on the topic is moving around from page 3 to page 4 and back. I mean, for this keyword - quite impressive.

Also, some of my fellow writers there do rank  #1 for some of their Long-Tail Keywords, and I had one of my journal posts ranked #1. Unfortunately, when the comments on the journal ceased, the post dropped down in the SERPs (which is not the case with articles).

As for the Google's TOS, believe me, Seekyt obeys the big G!

5. White Teeth profile image60
    White Teethposted 12 years ago

It is interesting that every other site on the internet seems to encourage backlinking while Hubpages seems to discourage it.

Someone mentioned on the forums recently that at a Hubcamp they were told specifically not to backlink. Jason made this statement at one point: “We will be detecting and banning accounts that use spammy techniques to get backlinks to newly-published Hubs, so Hubbers should opt for a conservative approach to any backlinking effort.”

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Backlinking is useless unless you have the right keywords.
      The right keywords will get piles of traffic without any backlinks at all. I did an experiment about a year ago and proved it beyond doubt.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Earnest, is it possible that Panda will require a different strategy?  Like you I did no backling and got acceptable (to me) traffic.  That traffic is low enough now that without some method of improving it (backlinks, improved HP, whatever) the income side of writing just isn't worth the effort anymore.

1. lrohner profile image67
          lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good question, Wilderness. What I took away from all of the Panda-monium was that backlinking was more important than ever. Would love to hear an expert weigh in.

And I've given up writing about products -- IMO there's just no way to beat a page of Amazon results, backlinks or no backlinks.

1. sid_candid profile image57
            sid_candidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't agree more with you Ironher. I am also eagerly waiting an expert to chip in with his/her thoughts. Writing products hub seems banging your head against a mountain. You can never beat amazon even with thousands of backlinks. Adsense is the only hope but with traffic gone adsense says, "Hey, I am dying."

2. wilderness profile image95

I think any results from Amazon are going to require a much different hub.  A true product review, in depth and from experience might work, as might an in depth comparison of several related products. 

The old "Chocolate Cover Ants are Great and here's some links won't work anymore, no matter how much you talk them up.

Agreed. But here's the problem... No matter what you do or how you write it, Panda has pretty much guaranteed that Amazon or some other big box retailer will take the top few spots -- if not the majority of the first page. I've had that happen to me where I'm still on page 1 but below a couple of Amazon results, and earnings from those same hubs has gone down to almost nothing.

1. wilderness profile image95

You are absolutely right.  I'm thinking of a set of keywords that include the product, but also indicate the hub has more information.  Hopefully it will be on page one and spotted, whereupon someone looking for that information will check it out.  Slim maybe, but better than a simple advertisement for a product that is absolutely buried by amazon or other big box dealer.

3. White Teeth profile image60
            White Teethposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You probably have very little chance as an Amazon affiliate, but you might have some possibilities using ShareASale or other affiliate program.

If you could explain to me how, I would get down and kiss your feet. smile

I'm seeing it's a little bit about traffic and a little bit about conversions. Because Mr. Big Box has the top few spots, my traffic has obviously been cut by almost two-thirds on my product hubs. And I think the peeps that do look at SERP results #5, 6 and 7 are just window shopping. My normal Amazon conversion rate is 15% to 20%. Now it's just a hair over 10%.

So the big question is -- do you think it would be different if I changed affiliate programs? My gut tells me "no," but I've been wrong about a whole lot of other things in my life. smile smile

1. White Teeth profile image60

I think you have to test out alternate affiliate programs and see, especially with Amazon dominating the first page. You really don't know until you test it.

For example, I saw this program for Christmas cards: http://www.finestationery.com/s_aboutus_affiliate.cfm?

ShareASale has a lot of products too. You have to test and see what works best. I would get rid of every single Amazon link on the hubs I’m testing.

2. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

money aside, I'm wondering if writing articles at all is worth it if no-one reads them?

3. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really don't know whether the changes have meant more weight will be given to backlinks or not, but if so it will likely be quality based as before.

If there is no update to the update I feel Google will lose serious market share myself.

I have a lot of automotive hubs that are based on experience and success in my field, and find myself (recently) competing for hits with some kid on yahoo answers or some other similar site saying things like "I love Fords" or "Rovers rock"

I'm well fed up with it, as would be anyone looking to find information to fix their car. I feel sure this is happening across my other niches as well.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I think.

Before Panda, you could pick a keyword, create a website then use backlinking services to create thousands of backlinks - and you'd get a result, even if you hadn't hit on a really "hot" niche.  Misha and Mark were doing very nicely with that strategy.

Now, things seem to have changed.  Mark very kindly did one of those backlinking exercise for one of my websites, and it did work.  Now, that website has absolutely tanked, in spite of having original content. 

If you're going to do backlinking now, I'm guessing it has to be real backlinking - getting backlinks on related websites, guest blogging, etc.

1. infocera profile image59
          infoceraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Marisa you are completely right..backlinks matters even now but only which are built in natural progression and are from related pages...

3. Mikeydoes profile image42
        Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For this reason alone it is pointless for many people to backlink. You can make 1 hub tonight that get you lots of views, that is for sure. No backlinking necessary, but it is not like a backlink is a bad thing either, but it is always good to find legitimate spots. Which I am beginning to find them and dabble in them a little.

4. Nexusx2 profile image59
        Nexusx2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought that to increase your results in the surps you need backlinks pointed from a specific keyword site to yours. This doesnt include comment backlinks only backlinks the webmaster has included on his page.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It seems people are having trouble discriminating between getting incoming links with creating spammy links.  Backlinks are good. Spamming forums and using link farms is not.  Because Google, generally speaking, can tell the difference. HubPages loves real links, not spammy links.

1. White Teeth profile image60

That’s Hubpages' party line anyway…

JC Penney’s "spammy" backlinks could not be detected by Google. The press had to make a big deal about JC Penney dominating every category, and Google’s attempt to adjust the algorithm did not work. They had to do a manual correction.

Someone noted here in the forums just recently that a crappy Squidoo page with a thousand "spammy" backlinks was dominating their keyword.

6. sid_candid profile image57

I understand that if you choose the right keywords you don't need backlinking. But after writing 300 hubs I am still in search of that one hub which can get me consistent traffic and earnings.

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, sid, you got 300+ hubs?  Congrats!  The Hub Stats on the top of your hub, will give you the keywords on how the visitors found your hub.  I just wrote a hub on Hub Stats.. I find the information in the stats very useful, pointing to us words that have been used to find our hub, but are not in the title.

2. nebraska66 profile image59
      nebraska66posted 12 years agoin reply to this

To get back to the original question.  The advice is sound.  Maybe not what a lot of people want to hear in some cases, but solid advice in my opinion.  Maybe he lost em when he suggested manually creating accounts at all those web 2.0 sites, not to mention writing all unique content. 

These days everyone expects to drop 5 bucks at fiverr and get amazing results overnight.  Remember, a writer can always outsource, but an outsourcer will probably never be able spin the yarn well enough to make it.  Writing is a skill you just can't fake

The person that wrote that over at seekyt is an admin and for all we know is the owner/creator of the site.  There's nothing in it for him to steer his writers in the wrong direction.  What he's suggesting:

Write your own unique content

Seek out and join various web publishing sites to put that unique content on

Not only join them, but participate in the community.

Link those articles in a strategic manner.

One thing to remember, if you write the content yourself you earned the link.  You spent the time and effort toward contributing to someone's web property, so there's nothing spammy about it.  If you're someone that's buying 3000 profile links immediately for a few bucks, you don't deserve any of them and Google agrees. 

Pssst...that's why you have to ping the links unmercifully to get them indexed.  Google doesn't care, and their recent slap proves it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)