Thread Highjackers

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Rocko Polo profile image60
    Rocko Poloposted 12 years ago

Why is thread high jacking amd derailing activity allowed to run rampant? You can't discuss a religious subject without three or four hecklers posting just to sneer, jeer, make snide remarks and generally foul up and clutter.

Why not provide an ignore button so one doesn’t have to see all those inane remarks? Better yet, why permit them in the first place?

It reduces the quality of this website by making intelligent conversation difficult since intelligent conversation is constantly interrupted by some duffus with manure for brains.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would like an ignore button too, like they had on AOL. Then you can't even see what the ignored person posts. Avoids a lot of trouble.

2. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you want a religious channel that does not allow opposing views then you should go to a religious site.

As you are clearly a religious sock puppet, with your intimate knowledge of these forums and only here 2 hours, then I would suggest you go to another site that deals only in religious nonsense as quickly as possible.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto!

2. arksys profile image84
        arksysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

opposing views are good if they are constructive and stick to the topic at hand. some of them just wave way off the borders of the topic being discussed.

3. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see.
      Been here 4 hours and you run the place.

Religious much? lol

Goddunnit? smile

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

they could do what other sites do with forums, where people can vote up or down each individual post.  If the post receives too many negative votes, then it becomes invisible unless the user chooses to see it by pressing "see full comment" or something. that might work.

1. TamCor profile image80
        TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like that idea. smile

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't that equate to mob rule?

From what I've seen of this kind of thing--no, it doesn't equate to that.  Only the very obvious jerks and their cruel remarks are voted down by the majority.  Sure some people vote down things they don't agree with, but all in all, most don't judge by opposing viewpoints at all.

1. profile image0

You, too, have been here longer than I have. From what I've seen,  there are some radical views here that adamantly despise an opposing view. But, I don't make Hub Pages policy. I'll live with whatever the rules and buttons they decide on.

2. profile image0

how would that equate to a mob rule?  besides, it works well on other websites like youtube and superherohype to name a few. hmm

1. profile image0

I think, there are those on this site who would vote down simply because they don't agree. That is, to me, censorship by mob.

I honestly don't understand the problem. Hijacking a thread is a group effort and it is only hijacked for the amount of time the group choses to remain off topic. It isn't an individual act. All parties in the discussion contribute. If you don't like a reply to your post; don't respond. That is the end of it.

I just think it is wrong to expect Hub Pages to come up with some way to appease people who are admitting that they can't control themselves.

1. profile image0

Well that's your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it.  However, I debate with people all the time on various movie sites, and youtube as well, and many of them have the voting system that I mentioned in place, and it seems to work just fine.  As Tamcor pointed out, majority of the sites that I notice that use them, the only comments that get voted down often are the ones that are rude and distasteful.  Sure, some people might vote down a comment they don't agree with, but the census majority doesn't tend to vote on comments that disagree with their point of view.  Plus, people can always vote up your comment too, so in a way, it balances out.

However, I can understand your opinion, but from my experience in forums that use this voting system, it does work.  granted, it doesn't curtail people from arguing completely, but it might help alleviate the problem that some hubbers claim that they can't seem to resist debating a person that posts up a comment that conflicts with their ideals.

1. profile image0

Steven, your examples are from sites that are discussing entertainment.  That is a completely different animal than what this OP is referring to. This request for a change is a blatant attempt to impose a ban on opposing views when it comes to religion.

Why, in the world, would we put ourselves in that position? You are almost asking people to police this site. I don't think it should be up to anyone to vote up, or down, a post.

Your comment that it might help alleviate the problem that some hubbers claim that they can't seem to resist debating a person that posts up a comment that conflicts with their ideals is exactly what I am talking about. Exactly when did it become necessary to create policy to appease people who won't control themselves? If people post, they choose to. They are adults. I could certainly understand the need for control if we had children running around, or if we are going to start treating adults as children.

1. profile image0

Well to be fair, there are quite a few youtube videos that do talk about religion too, and those comments can get a bit out of control as well.  However, majority of the comments voted down are often the ones that are mean spirited or use a lot of vulgarities. 

Well it depends on how you look at it.  I'm not saying that we should punish people for having their own point of view, nor am I saying it shouldn't be allowed.  However, from the amount of complaints from these forums about religious debates, I'm sure you can agree with me that something has to be done.  Otherwise, this is only going to get worse, as neither side listens to the other majority of the time, and the arguments get recycled repeatedly.  Sure, some of the key players may change, and the words might be slightly different, but it's still the same recycled argument as before. Nobody listens to the other, and nothing gets resolved. 

The point is that something needs to be done.  Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely that it's really each users fault for participating in said forum in the first place, and that we should be able to control ourselves like adults, but it seems many are unable to control themselves, as some feel it's their moral obligation to fight against views that conflict with theirs religiously and/or politically. 

Well like I said, it's just a suggestion.  If you don't agree with it, then that's your business.  As far asking hubbers to police this site, don't many of them do that anyway?  the last time I checked..if you messed with certain hubbers here, then all their friends and followers seemingly gang up on the person.  Not naming anyone in particular, but just stating an observation. 

Again, I'm merely offering a suggestion that I've seen used on other sites.  Personally, I don't see how this voting system would make any hubber feel like children, but again, it's a matter of opinion. 

Like I said earlier, I do agree with you that ultimately the responsibility falls upon the user, but it's becoming apparent that most users on here can't control themselves.  Therefore, something needs to be done.  Granted, I'm not saying that this voting system would be the best way to go, but it's merely a suggestion on one of things that hubpages could do.

1. profile image0

You've been here longer, so maybe you are in a better position to judge. I simply find it sad to see rules and regulations imposed because some people feel that: if they can't shove their opinion down your throat, they need to shove you out of the conversation. That is what I see as the OP's ultimate goal.

And there are more radical christian posters than there are opposing views. So, it isn't difficult to see how this will play out.

2. TamCor profile image80

It's not just to appease those who post...I very seldom post in the religious threads anymore, because of the nastiness that gets thrown around, but I do read them, if the original topic sounds interesting. 

But it gets so old, having to "sort through" all the typical scorn-filled posts sometimes, just to read the ones that actually pertain to the thread.

Of course, that problem wouldn't be curtailed with having an vote up/down option, I guess, because I wouldn't automatically vote them all down, even if they are annoying to read over and over...that's probably where the "ignore" button would come in handy. 

From the boards and forums I personally have been on, most of them offer some option for dealing with that problem, so it's not like it's a rare thing for sites to offer. smile

1. profile image0

You know, if they decided to implement something like that, I think the only fair thing to do would be to limit the number of times a Hubber could vote down within a given time frame.  That way, the radicals couldn't simply run about voting everything they didn't like down. It would force people to use some discretion and only vote when they were seriously offended, or another Hubber was obviously only there to disrupt.

Well, from the ones I've seen, you CAN only vote once on each comment.  It isn't like on the hubs here, where you can vote up or down...leave the page, then come back and do it again. So at least that would prevent one person voting one comment down numerous times. 

On the Ebay discussion forums, someone who signs in with an anonymous name, with very little or no feedback score, is only allowed to post a certain number of times per day.  That might help here, with all the "sock puppets" that pop up, who knows?

1. profile image0

It's a sock puppet who started this thread. But, I didn't mean one vote per post. I meant one poster voting down everything they came across that didn't match their narrow view point.The  radicals among the religious would do that. There's no doubt.

3. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to say, I hate the thumbs up/thumbs down feature on forums and I hope it never gets introduced here.

5. bbnix profile image61
      bbnixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

what if you just ignored them yourself like your own button?

6. Kiss andTales profile image59
      Kiss andTalesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes they will find you just because! you cant run you cant hide but what do you do you defend yourself at every cost! and make your defence,because words they can be very powerfull if its the truth and they dont like the truth , like the class cown in a class room pokes fun at the serious student and recruites more like his self to boost his eagle up , but what happens does he learn any thing no because he was so busy being the class clown !others have moved on to better things and graduated! yes people talk complain why you believe somthing ! try to make you the bad guy,  they are not productive or can contribute to nothing but a argument! that works for them! like i told some one before, dont like my committ turn the channel ! thats your free will!

1. Kiss andTales profile image59

and remember if you vex long enough and corner a victim long enough ,cause and efect here you just might get bit!

7. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thread-jacking is listed as a flaggable forum offense.  Are you reporting this sort of stuff to the moderators or just complaining in the hopes that someone else deals with it?

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

So, how would this ignore button work? When you set up the OP, would you chose names of hubbers you don't like; so their comments wouldn't post to the thread? Or, would you read the comments, then click ignore; so certain hubbers could know they were being snubbed?

Sounds sophomoric.

I would think an adult could probably make a judgment call as to who they wanted to converse with, and simply ignore any others; without needing a special button. But, that's just me.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nah, that's far too grown-up! lol

Seriously though, I totally agree with you.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't say no to an ignore button. Not for people who disagree with me but those annoying people who never let an argument end...

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It does take two to keep an argument going...

2. Kiss andTales profile image59

I like your style never let and argument end ! why because the last word means powers.they feel  that what they say rather you be right or wrong ,they do not like truth ,and you said it! so they shoot your commit down because they did not agree with them ! here join or be burned sorry there are other choices ! how about stand for the truth ,I can live with that!

1. profile image0

I'm sorry. I've read your posts, the whole of twelve days that you've been here. You are not a shrinking flower. You've posted quite provocatively. Why do you feel we should allow this, with no right for an opposing view to post?

if you notice it would not be a forum, there is always two sides to the story no problem ! the problem when it becomes harrassment ! thats when I have a problem! when some all ways opposes you no matter what  , no matter what you say because you said something they did not like ,come on now , every commit cannot be wrong! but if thats what you want to do ! it gets to very clear ! you are being a victim, if the teacher gives you a grade of F everytime you do your class work ! you have to question ,something more is behind the reason! thats what i am saying and you know so when the the teacher follows you to the next class and has a negative input on you there ! get the point! I like people to converse with me! not poke fun or harrass me just because , so they make it personal!

1. profile image0

See, you strike me as the type you are complaining about. I realize you don't think you are, but that's your side of the fence. I would never vote you down, simply because I don't feel it is possible to converse with you on the subject of religion.

Complaining about those we don't understand gets us nowhere. Blocking them from the conversation ensures we'll never understand one another.

never said anything about blocking no one, forum is for all views ! problem is when those take your views and harrass you with it ! say your peace ! and let me say mine but dont poke fun or follow me to another post to poke fun and harras me there because its personal! I so complaint should be address if you think some one is doing somthing other than giving a view ! for example some one said I will kill you If you say anthing about God killing ! well thats when it can get personal, what do think if I had said it to you! you think some one should egnore his committ ,take it as joke! I wouldnt! and some one did address this committ as a threat! the person said he was sorry! case close for now! but the point people can cross the line.this is what I am saying!

1. profile image0

Your posts are really difficult to follow, but I think you said your complaint garnered an apology. Everyone steps across the line at times. If the hubber apologized, that's a great deal more than I've ever gotten from a religious poster when they are out of line.

But, whatever happens with this issue will happen. My piddly views won't be taken into account by the Hub Pages staff. Which may be for the best.

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
            Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you planning to write anything here or simply complain about the forums? This is a writer's site, you know.  smile

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
              MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She/He is a sock puppet... I've said it before.  I honestly believe an atheist sock puppet.

Well this forum is just I wrote about ! complaint to you is my view ! and this is the topic! so what are you talking about?

see thats what I mean name calling! because of my views ! yes you said it before but why!

see thats what I mean! calling me a name ! and giving me a label ! that does not apply to me! what a great example! you said this before on the other forum! and right now we are talking about something else! and the word atheist is mention hear Not the subject !

2. Cagsil profile image70
                  Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Kiss andTales,

Please to try to write coherent sentences. Your grammar and sentence structure makes you appears as a 5th grader. So with that said, how old are you?

old enough to talk to you! and you understand!and if you are looking for an answer regardless of the Grammar and sentence break up! if this bothers you why ask a question from the source! if you can not understand ! because you can understand ! the focus of point here has nothing to do with my sentence !it has to do with you right now getting off the subject we are talking about!

3. MelissaBarrett profile image59
                  MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Honestly?  Please remember that you asked. 

Firstly, no one joins HP just for kicks.  We aren't the happening place to go on the internet... People join to write and find the forums in the process.  No hubs means no purpose to be here. Therefore, Sock Puppet

Secondly, the poor grammar and constant exclamation marks scream "uneducated and unintelligent" but they aren't consistent with word choices and spelling.  Grammatical errors, even among ESL aren't as consistent as yours are.  The fact that you acknowledge broken sentences also shows that you know they are wrong.  In short, you are purposely trying to look less educated than you truly are.

So why is that?  Well, if you truly supported what you were talking about then you wouldn't be trying to act LESS intelligent than you really were.

Thirdly, your rants are so completely stereotypical of the view of the "brainwashed Christian" that they lack any type of personality.  People don't work like that.  Even the most militant fighters for a cause show individuality, because whatever the cause is it isn't the whole of the person.  Your postings are two dimensional... like a poorly developed character in a fiction piece. 

Ergo, my assumption is that you are 1. A sock puppet  2. someone who is opposed to religion 3. someone with a limited view of human behavior and 4. someone who definitely needs to work on character development if you are ever going to write fiction....

1. profile image0

If you are right, then excellent deductive skills. If you're wrong, that was a rather lengthy insult.

words comming from you work for you ! you say many things and yet what I get from is lashing about christains ,and behavior, and this person you have just descibe ,you only know on printed page some days , and I would know myself better , have live withmyself all my life ,so what can you tell ,me about myself ,you are right about grammer no excuses ! but just the same the thought is the same!if thats all you get , from this forum ,well i am glad i am not you ,but it will not change my view of you and others that attack others because of their view ,if that what can contribute to a post is to bash and get personal then you have lost sight of the point of forum! now the subject is about me personaly! I do not deserve this much attention! thank you far caring! peace .

4. Jason Marovich profile image87
    Jason Marovichposted 12 years ago

People need to check their maturity before posting.  That would alleviate many of the ill feelings that come from religion discussions on this site.  I've stayed out of them after experiencing 'haha you like god haha' a few times.

5. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I can;t help but agree with the OP

Speaking of which.. who else here thinks the Leafs will win the Cup this year?

6. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

So what happens with such a system?  The side with the most "ignorers" have their say while those in the minority continue to post?  Hmmmm.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

How 'bout we just don't have religion and politics forums. Honestly I think these rant-feats just clutter up the forum and get people banned. A rule against sock puppet accounts would be nice too

1. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

then there would be only a few posts left like:

my puppy is sick

and

Flock your puppy

and

you're too mean

and

what shall I do about my mother?

no, no, no,

better we should argue about religion and politics and discuss and disgust each other than way than to argue about

your mother!

8. profile image0
    RookerySpoonerposted 12 years ago

There is a difference between discussion between people of different views and insulting comments made by people who have nothing to add to the debate.  I am a member of the Richard Dawkins site, because as an atheist I have an interest in what he has to say.  However, some of the posts on there by fellow atheists are insulting to anyone who even slightly disagrees with the majority viewpoint.  I once posted how, as an atheist I missed my former belief in God, because it used to give me comfort.  I was told to "f--k off."  I did so, and have not returned since.  However, anger is evident from the religious just as much as the atheists.  People tend to believe that anyone who does not share their exact views are deserving of their condemnation.  However, the whole point of debate is to discuss and argue our views, with those who disagree with us as well as those who share our faith.  If faith is so fragile, that it cannot stand up to a different understanding, then it is not faith worth having.

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Ironic, a sock puppet opens a thread about hi-jacking threads.

Proof of a sock puppet?

(a) opening this thread makes no sense, especially coming from a newbie.
    (b) opening this thread on it's specific topic shows they are another hubber.
    (c) opening this thread due to the fact that the only other place this particular person has posted is in the religious forums, because no self respecting person would open a thread like this, if they posted elsewhere(in other threads)
    (d) hi-jacking threads? Only appears to happen in the political and religious forums, and not in any others(excluding "hi-jack this thread" forum thread), and only a hubber who has been here a while would know about hi-jacking threads.

As for hi-jacking threads? It makes not a lick of sense. Political thread deviate from it's main topic, because there are so many inter-connected other topics which play a factor. As for religious threads, those type of thread are not technically hi-jacked, but appears to be, only because it is also such a large topic to discuss.

As for the voting up and down of individual posts? No. That would allow too much power to one individual group of people and would create a bias forum.

10. wheelinallover profile image76
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

It looks to me like someone is trying to mess with the freedom of choice here.
    Having been raised in America, seeing and being part of many sub cultures, the one thing that every one of them had in common was a freedom of choice. Each had religions, some were very different, they were cussed and discussed. People went off subject, many rehashed the same thing, it's human nature.

In my case I was raised to be American Indian, with their "religion" as part of my life. Have been wheelchair bound for 20 years. Lived in an Amish neighborhood. Spent time in a commune. Spent years in the military.

I was exposed to "spiritualism" "Mormonism" "Jehovah's Witness" "Amish" "Mennonite" "Lutheranism" "Catholicity" "Christianity" "Mid eastern" and more Religions.

In each case this was their right to talk. They had the freedom to choose what they said. I had the choice to listen or walk away. I don't see this as different for anyone. We have the choice to stay following a forum post or not.

I find that if you treat others as you want to be treated many problems can be avoided. One of the things I have said often is "Viva la difference", lets just part and remain friends. I found that the majority of people are adult enough to accept this.

We don't need special buttons or anything other than respect for everything in life.

11. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I didn't have time to really read what this thread is really all about but I just was wondering was it Jahbs or Joebs?  just wonderin'

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)