Backlinking my subdomain

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Nexusx2 profile image61
    Nexusx2posted 12 years ago

I was wondering if backlinking my sub domain will help me rank better in the search engines. I was thinking the more backlinks I have the more link juice would flow to my article? Or will backlinking my subdomain only help me rank for my name ie Nexusx2?

1. Topnewhottoys profile image60
      Topnewhottoysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just an opinion, but...

I think back-linking your sub-domain would be helpful in establishing creds with Google's search algo. With their roll-out of Google+ buttons/ratings, and their rel="author" authorities, it does seem logical that promoting your sub would benefit the authority of your hubs.

But then again... I could be all wet

GA

2. KSchaefer profile image61
      KSchaeferposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been wondering the same thing. I would think that backlinks to your HubPages subdomain would help your hubs rank better in Google searches. Can anyone verify if this is the case?

3. profile image0
      icountthetimesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My hunch is that it would help. Links from your profile to your hibpages for instance would be followed, and would surely acquire more link juice if the profile itself is popular.

4. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Backlinks to your subdomain (profile page) are a definite YES.  Think of this page as the homepage of your personal website, because that is what it really is.  A subdomain is treated as a separate website in the eyes of Google.  The higher your Google PageRank is for your profile page, the more PageRank will flow to each individual Hub you have listed there.

I just posted an extensive article about SEO that has much information about linking and the Google formula for ranking websites.  It's a very long, comprehensive article but, if you have time to read it all, I think it will give you a lot of insight about optimizing for Google.

2. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

just my own opinion , but it would seem logical to me that internal links would count less in the algorithm than a truly unique baclink from someone outside the site: my reason being that one could simply make a site with multiple pages and interlink continually. While a site like hubpages does do this, i would venture it takes quite a few internal domain or sub-domain links to equal a few unique outside links coming in to the site. I'll bet its capped too.For example Amazon gets quite a few links from Hubpages pushing it up in status( but probably capped ) but does Hubpages get any links back from Amazon.Probably nill. You could backlink a few articles from other 'outside' sites like as Squidoo or Triond , let's say,to get an outside backlink but then again if its running the same AdSense code (hence same publisher trying to backlink themselves) the algorithm probably downgrades the link somewhat more than it would if a truly unique backlink from outside sources was linked in. In fact i would think linking to other sub-domains on the site( different publishers backlinking to their fav publishers would get a higher link status even though still internal in nature with outside sources still being the best. In fact I would think excessive linking to your own would actually give a negative effect even though you would get the added effect of readership. Maybe the 40/60 split switching between AdSense code helps in this respect so that internal links are not always aiming back to the same AdSense code. on the other hand maybe it hinders. Who knows? Anyone care to agree or disagree? just be cool and if you disagree then state it without going on a tirade.Nothing worse then arguing over backlinking techniques when its only opinion and noone knows the actual Algorithm they use as if they are an insider.I think the one thing we can all agree on is that noone knows what drives the algorithm beyond basic logical thinking  and discussion.

1. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Internal links appear to have been devalued, that was why HP was such a great place to publish and easy to rank as any reasonable article would have many hundreds of internal links.. The move to subdomains has basically re-enabled the power of these internal links as google sees each subdomain as a different website.

As to links to Amazon and ebay they are all no-follow links and add no juice in the eyes of google, nor do they detract from the amount of link juice you have in your hub.

Multiple links from one site are not as good as individual links from a variety of sites (IP addresses).

As to addsense codes - who knows... but most people try to get links from many places other than just sites where they have their code..
      I link from many sites that are revenue sharing and many of my keywords are still number 1 in the SERPS so I don't think it matters too much - but then you never know what google will do next..

3. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I would suggest that you go off and do a quick search (in the search box top right) about backlinks and the use of anchor text.

Backlinks will help you to gain pagerank, but point backlinks to your individual articles using relevant anchor text and link from places that are related to your subject. The more authority backlinks (high page rank) you get with the right anchor text (your keyword) the better you will rank in the SERPS.

Anchor text tells the search engines what the site the link goes to is about - try typing "click here" into google and think what relevance the top of the SERPS has to the phrase - zero relevance but that site has many tens of thousands of links pointing at it that say "click here" !!!!!!!

So if you have a page about teenage tantrums then you want links from as many different places as possible all with that as the anchor text..
    Link using that anchor text and variants also internally from your other pages - internal links do count!!!

Basically the more links you have the better - to your articles and to your profile, your profile then links to some of your hubs passing on link juice...

Have fun.....

4. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

All these concerns were covered 7 months ago by the majority of SEO trained (well trained) hubbers.  I believe that the current situation was very clearly predicted and still applies beyond any SE or HP initiatives that were carried out since.

You may be quite surprised if you visit the archives and dust off those particularly prophetic and well supported arguments. smile

5. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

i can honestly say I saw a post about two years ago explicitly barring from using 'click here' as a good text link or it would be nofollowed but I could be mistaken. If I can find it i'll link to as reference. as far as the rest you said , you might be right as i'm not into the SEO stuff anymore . I only do this as a nonserious hobby. It just seems to me that Google would want as many unique outside links going to a site to show thats its not being solely promoted by a 'clique' of users rather than a universally recognized site by its links from other IP adresses as you mentioned. I'm not saying internal links have no'kick' per se , just that truly unique links from other sites are probably set to a higher accounting of 'kick' in the algorithm.. I agree the sub-domain switch will help the better authors.I only have 25 hubs so it wont help me but someone with 300-400 would probably get a better rating from it.Although thats debateable as far as i've seen my last few days back with everyone wondering about loss of revenues. I personally have never received revenue from what I write so I would just say i'm trying to bounce ideas off people to get to a concensus on whether these 'internal' links actually matter as much as is said because in IMO there are  already enough internal links to pages using the'link to your hub feature' and other links on a page. (sometimes 30-40). When I use the text link I always link to 'outside' sources because i'm just thinking (maybe wrongly) that internal text links to your own would generate a negative by the crawler seeing a link from the source code of AdSense to another page running the same code. Even though SEO 'laws' say otherwise.I'm under the impression this site is set-up to get publisher-to publisher internal community links to raise its status in the SERPS rather than Self to self internal links. Not sure if i'm communicating that right but thats what i'm getting at is that self promted links(self-to self) matter less or even might get crawled as nofollow compared to full 'outside' links. Even though Hubpages might set all their links as follow links that doesnt mean the google spider will count every link as a follow link will it? Don't they have their own internal parser that determines if it will consider a link to be credited as follow or no follow regardless of what the site programs the link for ? Thats a question, not a statement of fact trying logically work out what the spider determines For Google. In other words think of it from Googles perspective. Would you want everyone self promoting their own links?. It would be like giving keys to an inmate and not expecting him to let himself out.

1. Nexusx2 profile image61
      Nexusx2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually I was thinking along the lines of inbound links to my sub domain. I have been backlinking my sub domain from high PR websites. So in general two things might happen.

1. My name becomes a keyword "Nexusx2" and is ranked high in the search results

OR

2. The high PR link juice flows through my sub domain and lands on my articles causing my ranking to go up in the search engines. This doesn't seem logical though.

1. mel22 profile image60
        mel22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

ok i get what you're saying now. And as you said ,linking from outside sources to your subdomain rather than posting links internally from hub to hub ( because thats already achievable with the text link option and grouping feature)... makes sense. So what high Pr sites are you putting your link in from:Facebook, etc. on your wall and such aiming back to your hubpages subdomain?   I just now tried putting a link to my subdomain at Facebook.. i'll see what happens.. i.ve been linking to individual articles but not the profile page. Sounds logical that you'd get a kick up in the SERPS (if people are using the link)... i'm just wondering now if linking to individual articles , that the subdomain already gets a kick being that the subdomain already is at the beginning of each title.. i better go read the writer above's article before someone texts GO READ!... it's been awhile and i've been away from the site for a year. Everythings changed, not necessarily for the bad though

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)