How many backlinks does it take?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (46 posts)
  1. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

I know it fluctuates depending on a billion variables...but for you hubbers here who are making decent money, how many backlinks do you create for each hub.  Please specify between social bookmarkting, article marketing on directories like ezine, blogging and commenting on blogs.

Thanks!

2. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I barely create any, and I earn a pretty decent wage off Hubpages.

easyspeakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You barely create any backlinks?  what?  Then how do you make a pretty decent wage?

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to create tons of backlinks to earn. You need traffic. Backlinking is just way to get some+appear in results. If you pitch your content and drive traffic then that is all you need to earn.

2. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am with Sherbet I haven't yet created back-links and am also earning a nice little egg as well.

3. thisisoli profile image70

Theres plenty of other SEO techniques, Backlinking does affect your SERPS but it is not the only factor.

I am not saying backlinking is not important, but don't spend so much time backlinking that you forget about everything else!

What else?  okay, other than the normal keyword stuff.

1. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Search on Google for Google ranking factors or similar, you should get a fair amount of information for it!

4. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

You would do well to start with 5 to 10 backlinks per hub. Depending on the quality of the hub, your readers will start backlinking for you.  Of course, the more competitive the term you are trying to rank for, the more backlinks you're going to need.

5. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

easyspeak, the first links to look at are the tags you choose for your articles. I often write hubs about SEO related topics so an obvious tag for me would be SEO

http://hubpages.com/tag/seo/hot

This is a PR3 page that is indexed regularly. There is no guarantee that any article I write will always be linked to from this page but because I use the tag regularly I am permanently listed as a top Hubber.

So take some time to tag your articles logically and to tap into the link juice that's free to be had. But remember to stay relevant at all times.

1. shabarigirish profile image61
      shabarigirishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great tips peter

6. thisisoli profile image70

I have just written a new Hub about backlinks if you are interested!

I read your hub on backlinking.  great hub oli.  appreciated the up to date info on backlinking you shared.

7. doban profile image61
    dobanposted 14 years ago

I use backlinks for most articles. However, be careful because many backlinks are "no follow" and will work but will not help with search result rankings.  Google has an ad on called "NoDoFollow" that you can click on any page and it will tell you if the link is a no follow (will be highlighted in pink)or do follow link (will be highlighted in blue).  Don't waste your time with no follow links and concentrate on do follow links. For example all of the links on yahoo answers and on Xomba are no follow links.

8. Peter Hoggan profile image69

One important tip is 'remember to forget about PageRank' when looking for links. Google has now removed the option to view PageRank from Webmasters tools and gave this reason:

We've been telling people for a long time that they shouldn't focus on PageRank so much; many site owners seem to think it's the most important metric for them to track, which is simply not true. We removed it because we felt it was silly to tell people not to think about it, but then to show them the data, implying that they should look at it. :-) Source: Google

Even if there was any worthwhile benefit to be had, a page that shows a toolbar PR0 may well be a PR6 in reality and vice versa. Also a page showing good PR might not even be indexed by google.

Also do not ignore sites that nofollow outbound links. A nofollow link from a busy site that attract users interested in your content or products an important link. SEO is after-all about getting visitors to your site.

Keep in mind that nofollow does not mean ignore. Sites like Digg are important to Google, perhaps the link doesn't pass PageRank or work in the way we have come to think of inbound links however a well balanced natural link profile of any important page will include links from sites like Digg.

In short Pagerank is worthless and Nofollow links shouldn't be ignored, this advice probably runs contrary to any SEO advice you will find here on HubPages so I apologise If I am creating confusion.

Although, there are some good SEOs offering sound advice here on HubPages I would encourage you to also look further afield for up to date SEO advice.

1. markasuncion profile image56
      markasuncionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree with this, and also PageRank is hackable so you really do not need it...what I do is focus only on how to get backlinks and finding ways to get target traffics.

2. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not so sure I would agree with a lot of this information, Pagerank is an easily understood formula, and while Google are saying that it is not worth as much as people claim, that is down to the fact that backlinks inparticular are not the be all and end all of SEO.

While I would agree that Pagerank does not hold teh value it used to, it is still a great way to check your webpages value for a  specific subset (Backlinks) of the Google formula.

All you can do is try to get as many of those known subsets in your favor as possible.

I'm not sure what you mean about a PR0 being in reality a PR6, A PR0 site in reality can beat a PR6 webpage, but that is all down to yet again the link value not being the only factor of Google SERPs.

Again, Page Rank is merely a numerical figure given to your ebsites value according to backlinks. Matt Cutts has confirmed this on numerous occasions.

9. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Hi Oli - I agree with what you said - it's certainly not all about backlinks. Though when getting backlinks I do try and get them from pages with a variety of PR. Pagerank is also based on more factors than links, such usability of site, page load times, internal site structure, age of page, the length of your hosting contract etc.

As an aside have you been watching the series on the BBC "The Virtual Revolution"? I've found it totally fascinating. The 3rd in the series was on on Saturday and the makers of google were talking about how they invented it based on link popularity! Things have moved on a lot since then.

Unfortunately they don't have all 3 programs on iPlayer, but they do have last week's. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q= … ;sort=atoz

10. Peter Hoggan profile image69

Hi Oli, PageRank is a measure of quantity and has nothing to do with relevance, trust or authority or indeed the content of the page or the search term used to find the page.  It has nothing to do with the anchor text of the link or the topic of the page the link is on.

Toolbar PageRank is known to be wildly inacurate, for example the toolbar may show PR6 when a page is actually a PR0 or vice versa. Toolbar PageRank can take months to update while actual PageRank is dynamic and alters every time a link is discovered or removed.

Another problem is that pages that show high PageRank might not be indexed at all killing the link entirely not just the PageRank.

Its the link that's important not the PageRank associated to it.

Like you say a PR0 page can outrank a PR6 page, if PR had any real value how could that happen. Chasing PageRank used to be important, but today, primarily because the SEO industry abused it, it has become another worthless metric along with keyword density and many others.

If you want to rank for competitive terms then links are mega important. If you want your content to get eyeballed you need top search engine rankings. Search engines are still the primary means to navigate the web and find information but top rankings require links. A lot of pages that rank in competitive markets will have high PR making it easy to confuse cause and effect!

11. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

kind of mind blowing all this back linking stuff...so many different theories on it. Anyway, I found this hub by Ryan useful:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-Your-T … follow-PR6

best of luck...smile

1. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately Ryan's hub isn't very accurate - I made the same error of thinking and indeed wrote a blog post on it quite a while back, which I will now have to correct. The only way you will get the PR value from these sites is if they post your link on their front page and if google happens to crawl the page when your link is there. Most of the links will be on pages with none or zero PR.

That's not to say the backlinks from these sites are valueless, they just don't have the amount of juice that is implied.

You're right on that one. Some social networking sites ryan mentioned have nofollow enabled and there is no PR increase from that but those sites are good for traffic.

12. 20gsxr05 profile image60
    20gsxr05posted 14 years ago

i have wrote a hub on free backlinks.The main thing is to obtain as many quality backlinks as you can (over quanity)you can read my hub that will show you what quality is

13. Mieka profile image61
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

Wow, this is a lot of info to take in. Thanks though! I am working on getting backlinks for my existing hubs at the moment. Just created links to all of them on Xomba. But I've heard several different things about it, some people say it is dofollow, and others say it is NoFollow. So which one is it? Either way, I already have been getting some traffic from them, so that's good smile

Do search on google for linkwheels, you'll get information on how to create backlinks for yourself.

1. Mieka profile image61
        Miekaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'm going to do that right now! smile

14. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Here's another hub that will help you if u want to really get into this back linking thing...

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-a-link

Just read...and read...and then see what works best for you. As Blonde said, some people just make money without links, while others swear by them! Anyway, hope all this helps...smile

Hey thanks - that's my hub! smile

1. myownworld profile image73
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know...I JUST discovered it...am in the process of reading and becoming a fan!!! you're unbelievable....! smile

Thanks myownworld - but i don't think I'm anything special, lol. Just a quick learner! Anyone can learn this stuff if they want to.

15. 20gsxr05 profile image60
    20gsxr05posted 14 years ago

you can get directory submitter and article submitter for alittle bit of nothing.These are great ways to build a massive backlink campaign for more information on good submitter follow me because that will be my next hub

16. jesika profile image60
    jesikaposted 14 years ago

how u could know?

Could know what?

17. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

Which backlinking sites would people recommend? I'm already using Xomba, Shetoldme and Snipsly but I really want to start using some more.

Check these sites for creating backlinks.

- clearblogs.com
      - Quizilla
      - Webs
      - Blogsome
      - weebly.com
      - yola.com

Not sure if this reply gets snipped for posting this. But anyway, posted this just for letting you know where to get backlinks from.

2. 20gsxr05 profile image60
      20gsxr05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

squidoo,digg,stumbleupon,the list can go on and on

3. Susana S profile image91

I look for dofollow forums on my topics that allow signatures. This is a pretty easy way to get backlinks.

18. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

Thanx guys, will look into those!

19. Peter Hoggan profile image69

I have read the hubs linked to from within this thread, my advice would be to read this

http://hubpages.com/hub/Backlink-Tool-O … or-Writers

Its written by Misha who has real life experience in building links. If you really want to know how to build links read it.

1. harryinc profile image61
      harryincposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanx Perter. That article helps a lot!

20. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 14 years ago

In my experience, backlinking can be a big waste of time if you don't know what you're doing. I've had websites that were very successful without any backlinking work. That does not mean there were no links to these sites, just that I didn't make them. Good content often leads to natural links. I'm sure there are some successful hubbers who don't use any backlinking at all.

Yes, there are plenty!

Misha's article is excellent though, I'm going to use his tips for one of my websites and maybe for my "dead" hubs smile

21. Dao Hoa profile image61
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

wow! A lot to learn from back links. Thank you all.

22. alexandriaruthk profile image59
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

how about shetoldme and xomba are they dofollow?

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

shetoldme - dofollow
      xomba - whether by fluke or intention, when you initially post they are dofollow...after some time passes they change to nofollow

xomba does seem to enjoy the fresh content or news boost and ranks very high initially in google...for the effort involved I still find it worthwhile

23. Mike Rogers profile image61
    Mike Rogersposted 14 years ago

I think it is important to remember that Hubpages as constructed is much like a very well optimized internally linked blog.

Hubpages itself is basically an established 'authority site', and as such good content alone may be as valuable (or perhaps even more valuable) than traditional backlinking such as one might use on an independent blog or site.

Mike

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)