Quality time with your kids.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. b. Malin profile image65
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

I've seen parents riding a bike, with their kids, but they are on the cell phone or texting.  Why not put the phone aside and really LISTEN and TALK to the children while they are at an age where you can still get their attention.  It's so sad to see a little one saying "Daddy, Daddy look...or Mommy,
    Mommy and the parent is oblivious.  No one is perfect, but it's a start.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I used to have parents come in to pick up their children from school, talking on their bluetooth, and not say a word to either myself or their child. there were times when I wanted to yank the thing off their ear...  sorry if that offends anyone, but come on, it's your kid. finish the call outside or call them back. you've just told your child that the phone call is more important.

2. peachpurple profile image80
      peachpurpleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am one of that parent too, texting while playing doll house with my child. Suddenly, my daughter stop playing doll hse and start using fake handphone instead. That's when i knew i had to stop and start spending quality time with her.

3. Rpenafiel profile image60
      Rpenafielposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. It’s very important for parents to spend a quality time with their kids as often as possible. Being busy with many works can’t be taken by parents as an excuse as I always believe that we can always find time no matter how busy we are if we will only want to. But then, I also see cell phone as a very helpful device for parents to keep a good relationship with their children as they can communicate with them through the use of this device anytime they would want to.

2. Angela_1973 profile image60
    Angela_1973posted 13 years ago

Yes, I agree with you, I am happy someone else has noticed, I see parents in the park all the time on their cell phone, it is very sad! Not sure why people have to talk all the time?

3. JosiePosie76 profile image61
    JosiePosie76posted 13 years ago

I have to agree....
    I have to also say...  I am guilty of this very thing....
    Now we put away the phones during dinner...or family time....
    Makes a world of a difference....

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Devil's Advocate here (and in fairness to people)..    Nobody knows whether some parent/kids at the park just came from hours' worth of quality time, and the kids wanted some time to just be on their own and play.   hmm   

I'm not defending ignoring your kids (and there cell phones weren't everywhere when I my kids were little).  I'm just saying sometimes what we see at any given time can be misleading.   hmm

5. DebtFreedom profile image74
    DebtFreedomposted 13 years ago

I think Lisa has a point. And, it isn't just cell phones... it's other things too. Things like a kid crying out or having a tantrum in the grocery store, or a mom or dad temporarily losing their temper on a kid or a mom/dad at a park/play place reading a book instead of watching. It might look bad to us, but we actually don't know the whole story. Maybe the kid in the grocery store needs sleep, maybe the mom losing their temper has had no sleep because she has 2 other babies but you only see the one, maybe the mom/dad reading a book needed that twenty minutes in their 23 hours and 40 minutes taking care of their kid. We really shouldn't judge.. But, it is hard sometimes.
    Now, if you actually are on the phone (or computer or t.v or whatever) all the time then, yeah... that's not good. They need our attention. I know I've ignored my 2 yr old daughter too much when she tells me, "Mommy, stop the computer. Follow me."

6. Bluehoop profile image60
    Bluehoopposted 13 years ago

You're right DebtFreedom - and I think as a parent you get to know why other parents are reacting. It's refreshing in a way to know that we're not all perfect, and to accept that in yourself as well. If I do see a parent temporarily losing it with a child, then there's nothing to condone, but you can at least understand. I've got mad and shouted before, just not in front of lots of people. One thing I've found though, is that the more time you give your kids, the less you need to get angry (if there ever is a need) because they're happier. Kids being naughty is often them just trying to get attention. Even bad attention from a loved parent is better than no attention at all to them. They just want to know you love them, and that they mean something to you. You've got to let them know that all the time. Even the toughest of boys are fragile flowers (quoted from the great and sadly, recently no longer with us British agony aunt Claire Rayner) and they need lots of love.

7. Monisajda profile image60
    Monisajdaposted 12 years ago

I want to add that sometimes a parent is spending an entire day with her children and tends to them without a break so when they are in the park and children are happy - it is a good time to make that phone call that was being postponed for a long time.
    I am pretty much a 24/7 mom with children (they are not in preschool or school) and I hardly get time to call anybody. At home, as soon as I try to dial the number my littlest one is next to me trying to get some attention. It is not always as bad as it seems to a stranger.

8. melodyts profile image60
    melodytsposted 12 years ago

Time is one of the most needed thing of the child. A child who is given proper attention, care and love will become a better member of society in the end. That's why it is always advisable that parents should have time with their children no matter how busy they are.

9. kirsib profile image61
    kirsibposted 12 years ago

With a pretty big family (5 kids) and going through tough time when their dad walked 2 years ago and just abandoned us I've learned to cherish time together. Family dinner is simple way to catch up. Taking time to spend with each child one on one is also very needed. I have also learned that I should not be guilty of wanting to spend time away from them, sometimes a parent just needs a break! I love the trips to the park, shooting hoops, swinging with the kids etc. And I'm very lucky I found a guy who enjoys doing all this with all of us too. It is a balancing act to juggle and now when I get away for few hours because my oldest can be in charge and youngest started kindergarten, I've learned to enjoy my time with them without being tired all the time or feeling guilty for not doing enough.  Yes, stop texting and listen to your kid too!

10. dressline profile image40
    dresslineposted 12 years ago

yes, if the parents are playign with the children .they need put their work away and concerntrate on their children.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)