"Dregs" account?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

See http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/88292?p … ost1888404

Do you think that would make sense?  That is, to have two accounts here, one for your prime content and one for the stuff you hope might do well someday but just is not.  You'd move all the sub-prime hubs to the "dregs".  You could still link to it, of course - you aren't throwing it way.

I see some downside: sometimes something old and unimportant suddenly gets fresh legs.  Would we be hurting its chances by relegating it to the cellar (so to speak)?

On the other hand, you might be really polishing up the apple for Google for your primo stuff. 

Other things..  how does Google Authorship play out here?  If reputation management is going to be as important as I think it is (see PE's hub http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/_1vr5 … -and-Money for that) would having a domain full of less lustrous material ultimately hurt us?  I woukd think not, but this is unknown territory.

And finally, if this is a good idea, HP could make moving hubs between our own accounts a trivial matter if they wanted to, even searching out links or putting in 301's for the transplants.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A good question, and one I doubt anyone really has an answer for.

I can say that I have another small account of sales hubs that got slapped a couple of months ago and went to zero traffic for around 2 months.  I deleted much of it, transferred a few that had done well in the past to the main account, and have tried to resurrect it with a couple of non-sales hubs.

It hasn't worked.  Absolutely no traffic after the HP views died down.  It has remained slapped, and slapped hard.  I'll probably end up moving those two new hubs to the main account and closing that one.

Ownership - I haven't signed into google with the "auth" thing and that has been part of the reason.  I don't want that second, slapped, account associated with this one at all.  As HP is the only place I publish (so far) I haven't seen a real reason to proceed, and tell google this is my writing.

Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dammit - I depend on you for answers and I want one NOW!

I suppose if it is getting nothing at all, that makes sense.

I've done this kind of thing at my main site - moved off weaker sections to their own sub-domain.  I can't see that it has helped or hurt there, so I remain confused and wondering.  But those weren't dead sections - just very low traffic.

2. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

another thing is, they don't add any income from diff accounts together

Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Though I suppose we are assuming that those hubs aren't responsible for much, if any, income.

And if you delete them (as Paul seems to be exploring at that other thread), they rather definitely produce no income!

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

would google see that you have the same ad ID and rank your main account lower?

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

The trouble I see with a 'dregs account' is that moving any older hub will lose it its 'seniority', if that even counts anymore.

This account is slapped to bits, but my new account is up and down like many accounts here, OK for 3 weeks, down for 1, then back up again.

My problem with my underperforming hubs is that many of them have plagiarised all over the place.

It's not worth my while chasing the copies up, because they were never that popular as hubs, and now my time is better spent on improving hubs that are seeing some traffic.

So those hubs can be unpublished, as Paul is doing with his, in which case the copy thieves get total control, or they can stay there and just wait out the slap, which hopefully won't last forever although it is going on 4 months now.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

My second account never recovered. I unpublished everything a month ago and I'm still trying to find a home for those pages. I suspect the only valuable thing that I can get from that second account is the data- knowing what keywords are worth using somewhere else.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

My HubPages account IS my "dregs" account.  lol

I'm only partially kidding (sort of).  This (thread subject) is something I'm always thinking about, and that I've at times tried to do some version of in one place or another.  I couldn't think up an answer in that Paul Edmondson thread because I don't have a simple, easy, one.  My stuff is too mixed, and I think too little of too much of it.  The "killer" is that some of the stuff that makes me cringe is the stuff that gets the best traffic and contributes substantially to my earnings.  hmm

I don't really want an HP account full of nothing but non-traffic-getters.  I don't really see the benefit in that.  At least in this account, the better-writing-but-non-traffic-getters make this subdomain look better in terms of quality of writing.  If I separate out those just mentioned and have little but those that are OK-to-good traffic-getters I suspect the whole subdomain would look a lot lower in quality.  I don't think there's a benefit in having a dregs HP account unless some kind of effort is put into promoting the stuff better, or fixing it up (and that could be done without moving it from the original account).  I can see moving traffic-wise "dregs" to a site/blog where they may do better for one. reason or another.

As it is now, my barely-any-traffic-getters can add up to another x number of dollars in earnings each month.  I don't particularly want to add more of them, but a lot of them aren't bad as far as writing quality goes (I don't think, anyway).  So, they aren't hurting my "reputation" as far as writing goes.  If the bots "judge" subdomains by too much stuff that doesn't bring in traffic I don't care if it measures up to that "judgment" anyway.  My concern and measure of "dregs" is my stuff that doesn't measure up in terms of professional polish (because I allowed myself to relax and just "write whatever").  The answer to that particular dissatisfaction isn't to set up a whole account for either "traffic dregs" or "polish dregs", I don't think.  I lean more toward setting up new accounts for much better quality and/or traffic-getting Hubs, and kind of let this one remain as it is and fade from the forefront of my writing offerings.

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

On Squidoo, where you can freely move lenses completely intact between accounts, this strategy works really well.  As moving content here is laborious and requires a down period for web caches to clear, I don't think the methodology would be viable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)