Has Hubpages Started To Become A Complete Joke Now?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 12 years ago

Just tried to add an affiliate link for the new Traffic Travis 4.0 a highly respected and widely used SEO tool.Instantly got the message this hub may be at risk of being unpublished due to linking to questionable material.What we are not allowed to link to quality products anymore? What gives? Got a beef with Traffic Travis for some reason?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

With whom are you affiliated? Some programs like Click-bank have been excluded, from what I understand.

1. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well that would be the reason why then W.E , Traffic Travis does process through Click Bank,had not seen anything about that, thanks.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Benjamin, you are welcome.

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

There have been many changes recently and one of the major ones is an elimination of a large number of affiliate links.

I believe that the warning you received may be an automated one based on the fact that there is any type of affiliate link in the hub. I see you as having two options: 1. See whether Hubpages unpublishes it on the 14th of may (cutoff date for removal of "bad" affiliate links) OR 2. Be proactive and contact Hubpages about it directly.

1. profile image0

Thanks Wry smile

2. profile image0
      writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good luck with that, WryLilt, I had a new hub unpublished an hour or so after publication almost a week ago; I ignored an auto warning that it appeared to be about gambling; because it wasn't, (the words 'pay real money' are in the headline, so I guess that would be the reason, but the topic is copywriting) also because it contained a questionable image, (the email virtually threatened the wrath of God if I ever transgressed again) and had an unacceptable affiliate link. I fixed the pic in an hour, continued to ignore the warning, because it's irrelevant, deleted the affiliate link, resubmitted the piece for moderator approval to republish, and wrote a polite email apologising for the image transgression, (it was an error), and asking for clarification re the affiliate link. The Hub was held out for over 2 days, then allowed back, the warning's still there, and I'm still waiting for a reply to my emailed questions. Unilateral decision-making, bureacratic attitude, dismissive of Hubber's concerns? Sure as sh*t seems that way to me. Damn shame.

1. profile image0
        writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

(2mins after posting above) I've just been reading a separate post complaining about time taken to approve 'resubmitted' hubs. Covers much of what I'm feeling - but also has 'the other side of the story' input from Simone. Perfectly reasonable too. Who knew that HP wasn't  a 24/7 operation? :-D Think I'll just shut up and get back to writing more hubs...

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Hi BenjaminB, I think there are some affiliate links which are "dubious" and it is automated when you try to link to them when creating a new hub. That is one of the new rule! You can still contact them if you insist to link to it! (I don't see any exhaustive list).

1. profile image0

Hi prettydarkhorse, yes i had not seen any information regarding this at all anywhere, that's why it struck me as WTF, lol smile

5. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 12 years ago

Just goes to show you that Hubpages is becoming a made for ads only network. Nothing else and nothing more.

They want good content so their ad network can be shown without any distractions. They get paid for a click on an ad and you get paid so much for every 1000 impressions.

That way they make money in Adsense and affiliate sales on their 40% and you make a few cents on your 60% share in the ad network.

That's why no external links are allowed, they are targeting on site clicks.

That's an MFA site (made for adsense) or in this case - an ad network.

1. findandshop profile image61
      findandshopposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Were did you get the link? Some affiliate networks use adware. One in particular that I will not name. Twitter usually picks up on them too.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the input findashop smile

2. profile image0

TerriGI that is the impression I am starting to get, however i also did a new hub just published today for a product that I have purchased and use that has their own affiliate program outside of the big ones and it did not get the warning. So i am relieved for that at least.

6. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

Very informative posts, WryLilt and Terry.

1. Flaura78 profile image58
      Flaura78posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you consider that you can earn through their affiliate program, it is fair enough, give and take, but the traffic can be redirected to your review page. Hubpages is still not as ridiculous as Ezine when it comes to affiliate ads. Their traffic suffered significantly by increasing the ads on the site.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's informative as well. However, I don't quite follow how increasing ads would impair traffic.

7. aw1219 profile image60
    aw1219posted 12 years ago

I haven't been writing here too long either but I have gotten that message a couple of time on my hubs.  I think that it is a part of their rules and it is good to keep up with the changes here because it only benefits you in the long run.  The changes are designed to help us and our hubs.

8. rodolphe profile image60
    rodolpheposted 12 years ago

No money can ever be made with hub pages, only Hubers read those pages and they are not buying nothing. They want to sell. If starvation is your goal, then go ahead and write Hub pages. That's my honest opinion of the whole thing. A complete waist of time as far as money is concern. But if you want to do it for fun, it could be an interesting thing to do. Wish you all better luck than I an a prosperous new year

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My experience here has been pretty much the exact opposite of yours.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine too

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mines slowly turning towards you'll every month my earnings double compared to the previous month big_smile

2. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Going by your post, I get the impression that your hubs will be highly ungrammatical. Given that, it is not surprising if they have been penalised by the search engines. In such a case, I am not surprised that your earnigs from Hubpages are disappointing. If you made some effort to learn and follow the rules of English grammar, you might find yourself having a better experience.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol No no no it's a waste of time writing on HP acc to him then why explain methods to improve traffic?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)