Site Update: Content warnings

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (98 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 12 years ago

As predicted in yesterday's announcement, we've rolled out some additional warnings on Hubs today.  The new warnings that appear are detailed below.  Enforcement of these rules is currently schedule to begin on May 14.  In the interim, we will be fine tuning the filters that identify content in specific areas, and on an ongoing basis our moderators will be identifying (or correcting misidentified) prohibited sites that meet the criteria detailed below.  As a result, the warning status of some Hubs may change.

If you have particular concerns about a Hub that you feel as been incorrectly labelled with either of these warnings, please email a link to that hub and a brief explanation to rules@hubpages.com.  We will review all messages sent to this address and make adjustments as appropriate, but it's unlikely that you will get a personal response.

In the next few days you should receive an email containing a list of your Hubs that are subject to either of these warnings.  In most cases, correcting them should simply involve removing some affiliate or promotional links.

We expect these new changes to impact about 3.5% of published Hubs, with about 1 in 20 authors having some Hubs impacted.

WARNING: This Hub is at risk of being unpublished for linking to prohibited sites
    This hub contains links to a prohibited site or affiliate program, such as:

-  Sites that contain pop-ups that interfere with site navigation, for example, when clicking the back or close buttons, or that redirect users to unwanted websites
    -  Links to eBook sales pages and lead capture forms
    -  Affiliate or promotional links in subject areas containing a high proportion of low quality, dubious, or promotional content (for example, forex, acai berry, MLM, and weight losss)

Prohibited affiliate programs include: Clickbank, Wealthy Affiliate University, Max Bounty, and Market Health.  Commonly used affiliate programs are evaluated based on the totality of how they are used on HubPages.  While some of the offers or sites promoted may be ok, if a preponderance are not then they may be prohibited.  Unfortunately, we are not able to make exceptions to this on a case by case basis.

WARNING: This Hub is on a restricted topic and contains affiliate links
    This Hub appears to be written on a topic that is over saturated on HubPages and contains links to affiliate sites or offers.  Please bring this Hub into compliance by removing all affiliate or promotional links (Amazon and eBay Capsules are permitted).  Once corrected, this warning should no longer appear.

Hubs written on this topic must also be informative and of exceptional quality to remain published.

P.S. If you haven't switched to the new version of the text editor, please consider doing so.  You can adjust your preference on your profile settings page.  Please let us know about any bugs you find in the new version.  We'd like to retire the old version in the next few weeks.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The content filter needs tweeking Paul!
      I got a "Content Warning: This Hub appears to be about Abdominal Exercise Programs" on My Super Bowl Prediction hub.

I know you said we should ignore these if are Hubs are Not in violation. But if the filter is making erroneous hits on hubs, it will cause more grief and work for the hub staff.

The only way there could be anything to suggest abdominal exercise on that hub would come from either Adsense Ads or the HubAds program Ads.

Thought you might want to know about this warning error type.

2. 2besure profile image77
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand the need to make the site more profitable for all. I hope it does not disrupt things too much.  It is very considerate and a smart idea to email a list of hubs that need to be looked at, especially for those with hundreds of hubs.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't received any email yet, does this mean I am not affected by this latest site content warnings?

1. 2besure profile image77

Enforcement of these rules is currently schedule to begin on May 14.

1. Jason Menayan profile image59
            Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We actually pushed it out to May 16th.

And the emails are starting to go out today, but it might be a few days before all are sent, due to the processor burden on querying and tabulating all the affected Hubs.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
              prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jason and 2besure!

2. 2besure profile image77

OK, thanks for the update!

2. Jane Bovary profile image85
    Jane Bovaryposted 12 years ago

"P.S. If you haven't switched to the new version of the text editor, please consider doing so.  You can adjust your preference on your profile settings page.  Please let us know about any bugs you find in the new version.  We'd like to retire the old version in the next few weeks"

Oh that's a pity. I don't like the new text capsule because it wont let me choose my own spacing between paragraphs.

1. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is the only thing that I do not like...the ability to space between paragraphs.  Any chance that will be amended in the future?  I like being able to see the word count as one writes.  That is nice.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have yet to try/switch to the new format text editor, but taking away the ability to control spacing between paragraphs sounds to me like a BAD idea, not to mention contrary to everything I've ever learned about writing vis-a-vis keeping the reader's attention. 

Too much text just all bunched together with minimal "white space" is one of the big "no-no's" causing people to click away  from an article.

Today's people seem to have the attention span of a gnat, and if something looks like too much text, they get bored before they start reading...and your "bounce rate" is going to go through the roof!

I see that someone has offered using the <br> command as a workaround for what most of us learned as "proper spacing" between paragraphs.
      Now, I wonder:  if I normally prefer to work in "plain English" (WYSIWIG) format, and not in the html editor, will throwing in the odd html command still work?

3. MarloByDesign profile image79
      MarloByDesignposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree that the spacing is an issue - I am having trouble with it as well. Can I post one of my Hub links here to show an example? Is that permitted?

4. the pink umbrella profile image74
      the pink umbrellaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

jane bovary- yes, i really hate that. i dont like that i cannot choose the spacing especially since i write poetry.

3. E. A. Wright profile image73
    E. A. Wrightposted 12 years ago

I agree about missing the ability to add an extra space at the end of text capsules. Here's when that trick came in handy: when doing layouts with lots of other kinds of capsules. The spacing on polls, photos and especially tables is not always sufficient to avoid some weird formatting results. That extra hard return often helped.

That is exactly how I liked being able to use the spaces!

2. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We can still add empty text capsules for spacing and lay-out purposes I hope...

I'll have to give that a try.  Does it really work?  I would think that it would merely collapse and not be shown.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
          DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe if you put in a bunch of spaces and/or a hard return, it would be seen as "content" and not collapse/hide the capsule?  Just guesswork...I have no idea.

3. oldhorse profile image60
      oldhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can enter the HTML editor and add <br/> to achieve a very similar effect.  That is, at least, a work-around.

4. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Hi Paul,

As you know I have a nice portion of money coming to me every month from Hubpages, and that is declining rapidly.

One of the major reasons for this traffic decline is that the site is losing a lot of traffic generating content. Even if a page is unpublished for a few hours it can have a negative affect upon being re-published. Unfortunately many of the Authors on here do not have time to change hubs before they become unpublished, or simply decide to move the hubs elsewhere.

I think it is safe to say at this point that continuing to remove site content from Hubpages is going to continually reduce Google trust, especially if you are doing it for reasons that have little impact on SEO and organic traffic.

While I do understand that you are trying to do what is best for the site in the long run, at this point in time I think targeting the big issues, rather than nitpicking on mild issues, would help you guys regain some Google credibility, while going easy on unpublishing articles for minor reasons, pixelated images etc, can wait until the site stabilizes a little.

I am not meaning to be overly critical here, I really do want to help, because ultimately the only way my earnings from this site will get back on track is if Hubpages gets back on form.

You have plenty of knowledgeable writers on here who specialize and have clients in the SEO and Internet Marketing field,please take our advice and knowledge at least in to consideration.

1. Angie Jardine profile image69
      Angie Jardineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point and clearly put, this is oli - I'm just hoping HP takes your advice.

5. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 12 years ago

It seems OK since you will be sending an email listing all the Hubs that are subject to these warnings before removal of the hubs, and that a simple correction on the promotional links will resolve the issue without having to write back to the moderators.

Yes, you will get an email if any of your Hubs is in violation, and there will be instructions on what to do in that case.

6. JSAlison profile image61
    JSAlisonposted 12 years ago

I can see this update having a few problems.

The first of my pages I visited with the new editor gave me a warning that it 'appeared to be about watching TV on a PC'. The page was about camcorders and part of it was about how important it is to be able to play back home videos on a TV or PC easily.

The juxtaposition of 'TV and PC' was obviously enough to trigger the warning even though watching TV on a PC was never mentioned.

Hi,

It's just an automated warning. If you click on that link, the text makes clear that if your Hub is really NOT on that topic, then you have nothing to worry about.

1. HSanAlim profile image58
        HSanAlimposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason,
        My apologies for jumping in at this point in the thread. Farther down a discussion is taking place about the use of RSS feeds that are tagged in such a manner as to only allow relevant content.  This has been a great tool for promotion, especially of less popular keyword hubs. Now it seems it is not working,but I cannot find any notice in the forums or HubPage blog. So, is this a program glitch. Without both news modules and rss feeds it becomes very difficult for any hubber with enough hubs to make money.

A reply would be greatly appreciated.

Were you using the technique described here?
          http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/hubb … -rss-feed/

If you're having trouble with the Capsule, could you describe exactly what's happening, and what browser version and platform you're using? It's possible it's a bug.

EDIT: We found out that there is a bug with the RSS Capsule (it doesn't save properly). Engineering will be working on a fix.

Yay - Thank you so very much Jason.  I appreciate, with all that is going on, that this was actioned.

7. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 12 years ago

After all these changes, and now the sudden rash of warning messages, perhaps it's time to pull the content and put my work elsewhere.

What incentive is there?

*Since Ebay is not an option, as they are not allowing many new people to join.
    *My state is probably going to pass Nexus, so Amazon will be likely gone from my state. So, no more Amazon Associates probably for me.
    *Adsense earnings are very low.
    *HubPages Ad program earnings are quite low.

Whats left?
    My referral and few affiliate links.

Now you're taking that away from us?

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
      DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Am I understanding from a separate thread that KatieM got her hubs unpublished because they link to other hubber's work and her own hubs here on HP?  Or am I misunderstanding this?

1. tritrain profile image70
        tritrainposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It kind of sounds like it.

43 Hub moderations...uh huh

2. Jason Menayan profile image59

If you're using certain restricted links (like Clickbank and Wealthy Affiliate) or putting affiliate links into topics in restricted areas like how to get your ex back and acai berries, then yes, we are taking that away from you.

Otherwise, no, we are not.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image77

Nope, I only link to my own and other articles on HP which are relevant to my topic.  So what we're saying is linking to hubs which are completely irrelevant or are substandard hubs that are probably still getting zillions of views?

If you link to relevant Hubs, either others' or your own, that shouldn't be a problem at all. smile

2. tritrain profile image70

Nope. 

webhosting, social networking, ...

Webhosting is a restricted area - we will not allow affiliate links to appear in Hubs on this topic. However, you can still publish high-quality Hubs on Webhosting, just without the affiliate links.

1. tritrain profile image70

That's just lovely.

Now another one that I will put elsewhere.  All those backlinks pointing to my Hubs will be for nothing.

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image77

So if I had a hub about online dating and posted links to online dating site...would that be in violation?

It depends.

It's best to wait for the email that will be coming to see if it applies to you. I don't know the full list.

3. shai77 profile image80
        shai77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jason :-)
        I have few hubs with links to clickbank products,which i believe are good products with value ,like How to build products
        which some of them are very good.Are all clickbank links not allowed any more? Or some of them are OK?

No, I'm afraid none of them are allowed. The problem was not that some of the offers were bad, but that Clickbank attracted people (lots and lots and lots of them) that published low-quality Hubs promoting these products.

1. White Teeth profile image59
            White Teethposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What about redirecting/forwarding using your own domain as the link like they allow at Ezinearticles – will that be allowed?

Or what about landing pages on your own domain that think link to one of these affiliates – is that allowed?

We are now checking through all redirects to see if any of the intermediary or destination URLs are affiliate links, and if they do, the same rules apply.

Links to landing pages that are primarily affiliate-driven are considered affiliate links, too.

8. KiaKitori profile image68
    KiaKitoriposted 12 years ago

I agree with thisisoli.
    So far writers have been in stand and not too much fresh content has been published.
    Hubpages team had done improvements and that is great. Lots of us support your actions but every time a hub is deleted is like breaking a page from a book. The readers are going away.

They're never deleted.

They are only unpublished if there is a rule violation. Those violations can be fixed and the Hub can be republished.

1. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Having a hub unpublished will still cause a long term negative affect though.

That's why we instituted those automated warnings. We are also working on making them appear while you're authoring a Hub, so you'll know to fix something before publishing it and running the risk of seeing it get moderated later.

We understand that having a Hub unpublished affects its traffic. That's why when we institute a new moderation rule, we give people time to fix them on their own.

Those that are taken down immediately now are violations of the "old" sort.

1. fastfreta profile image75
            fastfretaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What you are saying here Jason reminds me of what  the site, "Divine Caroline" does.  They have moderators that check the article before it's printed, and they tell you what the problem is, so you can fix it before it's allowed to be printed. They're a hard site to write for, but if you're fortunate enough to have an article published you have the chance of being featured on "trending" on Yahoo. I'm sure this is costly, but it's probably worth it. hmm

I suppose it's a little similar, although we still allow you to publish in most cases. The warning is just a reminder of a rule that may apply in the case of the Hub you're working on. If it doesn't apply, then it can just be ignored. smile

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58
        Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Irrevocable?  Is that not the same as deletion?  For all intents and purposes.

I thought that we should probably be clear on this, seeing as other hubbers are being accused of lying on some other threads...

Do you mean banned? If your account is banned, then your Hubs are not deleted. They are permanently unpublished, but you still have access to them, should you want to move them to another site.

The only way Hubs are deleted is by direct action the user: either by manually deleting a Hub, or requesting their account to be closed.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
            Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I just didn't understand your distinction between 'deleted', and 'permanently unpublished'.

But I do now.

9. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Really? I haven't published since it was introduced. If we write in another program and copy and paste into the capsule, would this still happen?  The spaces serve a purpose to both the author and the reader.

10. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 12 years ago

Perhaps you can introduce a single warning symbol on the hub statistic page similar to “broken links”,” malicious links” and “ads disabled” such that the symbol will alert us of need to do any of the several corrections that may arise on the affected hub (the corrections to be done can then be detailed in red on the affected hub).

11. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

I have a question.  I notice that the RSS capsule no longer allows us to link to our recent hubs.  Should we go back in and eliminate links to our recent hubs already included in our older hubs?  Is this now no longer allowed?

Also, most of my broken link notifications lately always seem to be on highlighted words linking to other hubber's hubs (the HubKarma).  It takes time to keep going back in and eliminating those.  I'm beginning to think that it is not worth it to keep using that feature.  Any ideas on that subject?

I appreciate all the work that you are doing to keep HubPages ranking high.  Just want to keep ahead of the curve on needed work to be done if possible.  Thanks!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes Peggy, you will need to remove all RSS feeds that link back to your 'latest hubs'. What you can do is create an RSS feed to your own relevant hubs on the topic you have written that particular hub on, e.g. growing vegetables, and that will be allowed. To do this you will need to add a unique tag to each hub that is on 'growing veg', such as 'growvegpeggy'. Then insert this into the RSS feed URL and your hubs with that tag will be featured.

On your HubKarma question, well, I have stopped using it now. I still have it on the hubs I did use it on though. Now I only link to my own hubs unless a hubber and I exchange links on similar hubs by agreement. The HubKarma does not do anything other than take your readers to other people's hubs, therefore reducing the possibility of them staying on yours and clicking on an advert. You make no money from use of HubKarma either, even someone follows a link and clicks on an advert on the other person's hub. To me it seems a pointless, and actually damaging tool.

Wow!  Did they inform us of that and I missed reading that?

Instead of making an RSS capsule, I assume it is still a good idea to link all of our similar hubs together...example, all ones written about Galveston, Texas...or all those in a single state if they are travel hubs? 

As I go back in and make changes...think that I will start eliminating the HubKarma ones.  If I don't do it now...I'll be doing it later.  Ugh!  Not easy will over 300 hubs!

Thanks for your response.

It appeared in an announcement thread that I heard about by accident. It was straight from the Hub Team, so the 'real deal' I'm afraid. I spent soooooo many hours, (up until 06.00am one morning), just taking those RSS feeds and Clickbank links out of my hubs. I Still need to go back and do the 'tagging' thing so I can create more 'appropriate' RSS feeds to my own hubs. Nightmare!!!

1. pylos26 profile image70
            pylos26posted 12 years agoin reply to this

sounds complicated to me dear...be glad to leand a helping arm...er...hand.

LOL, thanks and cheers for the offer of help. Still loads to sort out but struggling to get motivated right now sad

Have started removing RSS feed to my latest hubs...but will take some time.  What about other RSS feeds like news and local weather?

I think they are okay, but best to check with the Hub Team. I don't use them myself so I am not sure.

2. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had started removing those some time ago anyway, but I do not understand why HP can't just disable the code that creates these.. Going though hundreds of hubs is not fun.

I totally agree after hours and hours without sleep, only to then find the same hubs need further revising for separate issues!!

12. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 12 years ago

Already making the move of my content...

13. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 12 years ago

What happen if I haven't changed to new text module editor.

Will my existing hub unpublished after few weeks when the new text module editor comes into force?

14. profile image0
    derek53posted 12 years ago

I have today just received a warning that one of my sites is an adult one. How wrong can you be !!!!  Yesterday one of my articles was removed due to lewd content - just  because there were 2 girls dressed in golf attire which supported an article on golf !!!!
    I have submitted 4 articles and only 2 appear, 2 have been removed without any reason given
    I thing this rule must be in place but hey dont blame us with incorrect accusations - I am not amused

15. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 12 years ago

I've unpublished all my hubs to save HP management some time effort in future.

Because they're bound to infringe some important future rule that will involve something like using too high a percentage of letter "e", or insufficient use of the letter "Q".

cheers,
    Eric G.

16. profile image0

I am afraid that my recent experience has really damaged my motivation to remain here as an author. I have only submitted 5 articles and three have not been published due to what they incorrectly accuse me of. There are many other places that accept my articles and do not accuse me of  having ADULT content.

17. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 12 years ago

I have not felt like saying anything about this, but I believe some of Hubpages new policies are going to cause many long time hubbers to stop writing here.  For instance, I have many pictures I took of cards and crafts I made myself for craft tutorials, but was notified one was pixelated.  It was a closeup of the giraffe pattern to show what the front of a card looks like.  It was not copied off the web as I have never done that.  Oh well, I deleted that one picture off the hub, but no one made the distinction that was an illustrative picture tells me that hub was not even read.  Not all pixelated pictures are copied.

That's true that not all pixelated pictures are copied. But they do make for a relatively poor reading experience.

You can also try making your picture Half Width or Quarter Width to make it smaller, and, therefore, less grainy/pixelated.

2. profile image0

Now I have been told off - one of my sites linked to my hub has over 600 products in it but because 1 is an oil for those suffering sexual dysfunction I can no longer link my hubs to it. This is rediculous and bordering on being a dictatorship gone mad. If this site is unfit to link to then I  assume no reference in any way can be made to a website or topic relating to pregnancy, relationships, body diseases etc as they all have ADULT involvement. Even the Holy Bible talks of Adam and Eve for gods sake !!!!
      Pathetic, childish, arrogant, dictatorship, prudish and discrimination are a few names that say how I feel about this organisation. Does Mary  Whitehouse run this organisation ? Oh no she passed away just as this organisation is heading. Censurship is essential but this is censurship gone mad.
      I am only glad I do not have many articles to delete off this site. I suppose I would eventually be banned as I  am MALE, ADULT and GAY !!!!!   FOR GODSAKE GET REAL.

1. profile image0
        Norah Caseyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We do not allow content that helps men get an erection. We consider that content to be adult.

EDIT: Since this issue should be handled somewhere else, I'm going to delete any responses from you related to this issue in this thread. Either respond to my email, create a new thread, or close your account.

3. profile image0

PS  The image on my profile is not an adult one, its my 16 week old puppy sitting at my laptop :-p

4. profile image0

Hello Derek,

I am the supervisor of the Moderation Team here at HubPages. I was forwarded an email conversation between you and one of our engineers who is helping out with questions and concerns related to new rule changes. The adult designation on your domain stands.

hello
      Can you really be really telling me this ?  So you will not allow any sites that  refer to any form of relationships, AIDS, Pregnancy ?  Do you  realise that there is the word “ Discrimination “   which I feel is a good title for how you are treating me. I cannot believe out of the 600 plus products that just one product that relates to an aid for sexual dysfunction is going to void all of my articles. This means that you will not  allow any reference to sexual health problems and if this is the case how silly you organisation will appear ? After all it is not as though my products are sex toys !!!!!
      I wish to appeal against this and therefore please advise me to whom I need  to address my appeal to.

thank  you

Derek53

Hi
      once again you are clearly over stepping your authority. Do you not realise that I am  fully aware of my legal responsibilities. I do not need you or  anyone from your organisation to wave sheets of paper at me. I am going to remove my articles from your site and will have great pleasure in telling the many forums that I belong to of the arrogant Nazi Dictatorship regime your organisation is !!!  Pathetic is not strong enough for how I feel about Hubs.

We are hardly a Nazi Dictatorship regime, but we will be happy to close your account.  Please confirm that you wish to close your account and I will be happy to do  so.

-- Norah Casey
      Chief Moderator

5. profile image0

Now it all makes sense - Google said it changed its mathematical formula late Thursday in order to better weed out "low-quality" sites that offer users little value. Some such sites offer just enough content to appear in search results and lure users to pages loaded with advertisements. Paul Edmondson, chief executive of HubPages.com, which shares ad revenue with writers that publish Web content about a variety of topics from making scarves to Mexico's Day of the Dead holiday, said it was too early to tell how his site, would fare under the changes.

Web traffic sent by Google to a HubPages article about nose piercing rose by 40% since yesterday, he said, while traffic to an article on "what happens if you abandon your home and let it foreclose" dropped by 80%.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Derek, hope you don't mind me asking, but is this a satire?

6. profile image0

Does it really matter ?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess not.  Although there might be a market in it.

7. profile image0

Or at least content for a hub or two

8. HSanAlim profile image58
      HSanAlimposted 12 years ago

May I ask here about the use of RSS feeds in a hub?

Previously the judicious use of news feeds, with proper keyword control, both positive and negative, allowed my hubs some measure of automatic refreshing, while at the same time adding only relevant content. Now the use of this very effective and helpful tool is not allowed.

So in the forums I have read suggestions to use either tag rss feeds or the latest rss feed in a hubbers profile to help keep a hub refreshed without introducing non relevant content.

I tried this but now the rss feed content does not show up in my hubs.

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

So are you saying you went through your hubs and placed a unique 'Tag' on each of your hubs, and then inserted that same tag into an RSS feed, yet it didn't work? I have been told this will work, but have not tried it yet, and am horrified that this too might stop us linking to our own hubs that are relevant to the topic of our latest hub.

Hi Misty..

That is totally correct.  I feel that I did the tag rss feed system properly and had in fact already had that in place to help promote poorer traffic hubs. And it worked too until these really recent changes. Now all my work to put the same system in for all my hubs is down the drain.  My husband has twice the hubs of me and so does one of our friends so they are really upset.

That is awful, and well worth an email to the Hubteam to ask why this is not allowed. I so hope this changes, otherwise our income is virtually completely 'down the toilet' here.

The only alternative is to use a service like Pingler to ping each hubpage - but they only do it once every three days.

2. HSanAlim profile image58

HP is working on a fix to the RSS problem.  So I assume that means the use of the RSS feed is acceptable, assuming it is done properly and brings in relevant material.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At the risk of self-promotion, here is an explanation of two different methods of using tags in RSS feeds; either one will work.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Grouping-Hubs-b … e-Beginner

With the recent changes, I do not know if either method is acceptable, however.  If and when HP demands removal of even "tagged" RSS feeds I will remove the hub, but until then I use tags in an RSS feed on each hub to point to other, relevant, hubs.

Thank you for this info. 

Actually my original work was done based exactly on your hub, well written and easy for me to follow. So, unless I made a mistake, neither way of using an RSS feed shows up when the hub is published.

It shows when you ask for a preview of the rss feed at time of insertion of the rss module but on publishing it is gone. Further more if you go to edit mode the rss module appears as if you never put in the data.

My husband has had the same problem on his hubs and so has a friend in another city who had asked our advise how to put in the rss feeds to make up for the loss of the news items.

For anyone with any number of hubs to be without some relatively easy way to keep them "refreshed" is going to be disastrous.  I totally agree with the need for any thing showing up in the feed to be relevant thus the use of the tag rss feed method.

If you check above, Jason replied and says the HubPage tech team agrees there is something wrong, it's a bug and being worked on.

Who says HubPage staff does not reply to reported problems, not me!
            Yay Jason - thank you very, very much.

9. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 12 years ago

I understand these updates as Hubpages is attempting to recover with all of these policies, but all the broken links are annoying, even though it's a great tool, currently I have no time to edit them as yet, I hope my hubs are still here when I get back from my holidays in a months time....off to Spain and quite possibly will drink a lot of Sangria!

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where abouts in Spain are you going, Waynet?

1. waynet profile image68
          waynetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Estarte on the Costa Brava if all goes well, we are stopping off at Calais and pubbing it all the way along....don't know if I'll survive this 3 to 4 week pub crawl! lol!

We did something similar but that was round the UK and I can't remember getting home!

1. IzzyM profile image86

If you are taking a laptop, Carrefour sell a PAYG internet dongle for around €20 I think for a month. (limited bandwidth) - carrefour.es

Not sure if I'll be taking my laptop as I may just lose it on the pub crawl...might take my iphone though to keep up to date with the online world and try not to lose that! smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

I am sooo out of touch! All those gadgets like iphones and stuff! Have a great time!

10. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Oh and that is going to be so much fun! Spain is hotting up now for the summer.

Well this is the holiday for the lads and then in the summer I'm off down to Cornwall with the family for 2 weeks! gotta save the pennies! smile

11. talfonso profile image85
      talfonsoposted 12 years ago

I understand the changes, but please, please highlight the hyperlinked text linking to the offending sites when sending out warnings like these. Hy Hub got flagged for that and I don't know what those prohibited sites are!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)