A Free For All Discussion

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone.   I am inviting everyone over to my spacious abode.   I am preparing dinner as I speak.   Christmas dinner includes four capons with oyster and cornbread stuffing; potato salad with pickles and apples; green peas; wild rice; and potatoes au gratinee.   For dessert, we shall have pumpkin and potato pies to be washed down with a choice of eggnog or apple cider.    Any subject in the world can be discussed.   Now, what shall be the favorite subject for discussion.  Remember, it can be varied subjects for discussion!  Do not be shy at all, we are among friends!

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your table sounds like a welcoming and delicious day.  A Happy Holiday to you and yours!  Are you in the U.S.A.?  Let's discuss something all writers may take interest in.  E-publishing.  Amazon is now selecting a few titles to publish on their own.  They are now in the business of publishing.  How do you think this will effect traditional publishers?  Will they become the WalMart of the publishing world?

gmwilliamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amazon is a very large company.   They will probably take over E-publishing arena.   No one can beat this company in that regard.

2. cherylone profile image86
    cheryloneposted 12 years ago

What a nice spread of food you have.  And the furnishings are perfect!  Now the discussion-e-publishing may be the wave of the future and Amazon is probably going to try to corner the market.  But I think others will give them a run for their money.  Can you pass the pumpkin pie?  smile  Happy Holidays!

Certainly!  Excuse me while I greet more guests.  E-publishing!  How interesting!   I do believe that Amazon will indeed corner that market.

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone! How do you like my Waldorf salad?smile

Amazon has a huge head start on everyone else. And when a company of that size gets a head start, they'll probably keep it, unless someone else comes up with something over-the-top innovative, or the Amazon top brass lose their edge. 

I self-published two e-books on Amazon. They're really two short stories, but I published them that way in hopes of having them accepted as Amazon Singles. If that had happened, Amazon would have done the publicity for the stories. They didn't accept either story, but they're still published and being sold without me having to deal with years of rejections, the way authors do with paper manuscripts. I've gotten two teeny weeny payments for them.

Amazon has also started Amazon Prime (or is it Kindle Prime?), which is a subscription for Kindle users. Anyone who is a subscriber can read any e-book that's free or that has been enrolled in Prime. Then the authors who enrolled their books will split the several thousand dollar amount that was assigned to that quarter, based on how many times their books were read. I was glad to see that, because I knew that my stories were being lost in the masses of e-books. Not that they won't be lost in the masses of e-books enrolled in Prime...

I think that Amazon has been pretty innovative so far, by allowing authors to publish as no cost, unless they want to pay someone to make the cover art for their books. That's a big step up for most authors, and I'm sure will make a name for the best.

I hope the field widens more, but I don't think it will for a while.

This is so true.  Amazon is quite creative and innovative in that way.  By the way, the Waldorf salad was fantastic!

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So Amazon's Kindle Prime gives all subscribers all ebooks listed with a price of free then the authors split Amazon's budgetary allotment for this project for that quarter?  Hmmm.  Interesting.  Please keep us posted on this if you can.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll do that. However, if I have no action in the quarterly viewing program I might forget. I've considered removing my stories from Amazon and putting them here, but I also know my cover art is, well, atrocious.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)