Acceptance vs. Tolerance

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Shawn May Scott profile image60
    Shawn May Scottposted 12 years ago

As we move forward as a society we have often used the word tolerance in respect to what we need to accept about other people. If we just tolerate something or someone we are doing the bare minimum to learn to get along as a world society. So what is it we need to do to move forward? We accept people with special needs but we will only tolerate those with different ideas and different life styles. That seems a little warped to me, what do you think?

1. Paradice profile image62
      Paradiceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Shawn, I definitely see your point of view. Tolerate- sounds like a word used to "just deal" with something. I think that when it comes to people with special needs or people who share different ideas or lifestyles the key is to embrace and accept. If we as a society, focus more on learning from others' differences and embracing that I think we as a whole could move forward.

Shawn May Scottposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree that is what we do we "just deal" with it. We do need to accept and embrace so we can move forward.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religions are intolerant. By removing the intolerance of religions, we can begin to move forward.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Excellent observation. Personally I get bored with people just like me. I get enough of that by myself.
    So long as difference does not impact me negatively, vive la différence.

1. madmachio profile image60
      madmachioposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think people have used the word Tolerance to replace Charity.

How so? Can you give me more details on your thought?

1. madmachio profile image60
          madmachioposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To me, to tolerate means to overlook what you don't like about a person in order to deal with them in your surroundings. Therfore, not accepting them realy. Now if you treat someone with charity, this means your loving the person thefore accepting them as a being. This doesn't mean your in agreement with their views but at least you can respect that they have them

Okay, I understand. Thank you!!!

3. Shawn May Scott profile image60
    Shawn May Scottposted 12 years ago

Absolutly, being different makes this world an excitng place to live and we would be very boring if we were all the same!!!

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why would it be boring? Are we not all the same? What is significantly different about one human from the next that would make life not boring?

1. Paradice profile image62
        Paradiceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Imagine every food, every plant, every animal the same.It would be very BORING.  Life is exciting when we can experience new things, indulge in our differences and embrace it.   Yes we are all the same-humans, but we are also so different within our cultures and beliefs.

Nicly said Paradice. I believe The Troubled Man has misunderstood us.

4. knolyourself profile image61

Fascists like everything the same, usually some kind of super-size.

Agreed!!!

5. Disappearinghead profile image59
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

No.
    We accept people with special needs because these 'impairments / disabilities' are usually through no fault of their own and they need our assistance.

But I see no reason why we should accept ideas we don't agree with. Ideas are subject to change, and those that have other ideas are not necessarily in need of our assistance. Whilst everyone is entitled to their own ideas, we cannot just accept them out of some sense of duty to political correctness. Thus tolerance of ideas is acceptable.

We are not talking about accepting ideas, we are talking about accepting people with different ideas and opinons even thought we may disagreed with what the person has to say or belives. We are not offering assisstance as we are not trying to change anyone we are simply accepting the differences the make us all unique as individuals and cultures etc.

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okey dokey. We should accept people based on who they are, their character, and personal integrity, etc. In that sense, their ideas are not so much of an issue. However, if someone has very much opposing ideas to our own, then accepting them my be simply impossible.

I guess what you are getting at is bigotry. I've met religious bigots and atheist bigots, the shade varies.

We could carve it down to bigots and yes the shades vary wildly. And yes some of us would have difficulty in accepting some with such opposing ideas, but that is just the point we are no where near accepting peoples on every level as a society, we are only just tolerant. We need to do alot more maturing as a whole before we can move beyond this stage of humanity. But I would still like to see acceptance instead of tolerance.

6. knolyourself profile image61

My rule is I accept all bodies as my own, but not necessarily other's identities, wherein as long as they leave me alone I leave them alone.

7. knolyourself profile image61

Bigotry is too profitable as deserving less.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)