Faith as human instinct

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Is belief in a higher power a human instinct? Is spirituality an inate part of our make up?

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only if one believes delusions are human instincts. lol

janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry you dont have a soul. It must be hard for you

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Souls have never been shown to exist.

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Men follow instict instead of faith, that instict has been conviently labelled faith, so in a manner of speaking you are right

3. couturepopcafe profile image62
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think some feeling or sense that there is something bigger, grander, more perfect, innately wonderful is indeed an instinct we cannot explain. Having faith in ones own instincts is key to meeting life on your own terms. IMO, spiritual (for lack of a better word) connections happen often in our lives when we have a close life connection to another. The spirit expects a lot but too often we ignore what it tells us. We ignore our instincts. Knowing yourself, being able to hear your inner self, goes a long way to connecting to the universe.

4. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can safely say that faith is not any part of my instincts. It is quite the opposite in fact. Everybody is different though.

2. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

Jane,
    I do not believe faith is in the area of instinct.
    Instinct is the senses of survival, mostly emotion but also primal knowledge.
    Faith is the power to create, by using the Breath of Life* -genetically built into every human.

*Breath: Om, Ki, Chi, Ruach, Pneuma meaning spirit/life force.

James.

Dont know how i missed this post. Thats exactly what im talking about.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Evolution has favored belief without evidence. The primal human that believed it was a lion when it was the wind in the grass tended to live longer and be more likely to breed than the primal human who guessed the other way.

Nothing complicated about it. Ki or Chi has absolutely nothing to do with faith.

1. profile image0
          jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. And it is the unraveling of the natural mysteries that prompted man to create more and more imaginary beings to "believe in", for he want everything to look like him, with super powers.

2. janesix profile image60

James, i suspect that we evolved specifically for chi to flow through our nervous system, but im not sure what you mean by the power to create. Can you elaborate on that?

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Would say belief in a higher power is not instinct,
    and spirituality is an inate part of our make up, if one would believe we are spiritual beings.

4. Mauvebeate profile image57
    Mauvebeateposted 12 years ago

Most people have an incorrect definition of faith. If you talk to most religious people they'll tell you they have 'faith' because they 'believe'. Some people will even be clever and quote you Romans 10:17, that faith comes by hearing, so you need to 'hear' them when they preach at you. I always respond to this quote by saying, "Thanks for telling me how to get it, but what is it exactly?" They generally don't understand the question and repeat how to get it, or repeat their 'testimony' that they have it, whatever it is. They might be wise to get to know their Bible a little better if they want to claim to live by it. In Hebrews 11:1 is the definition, and I have yet to 'hear' anyone quote it to me who is preaching at me about their 'faith'.

Faith is the evidence of that which is not seen. A good example is the human heart. I personnaly have never seen my heart. But I know I have one. I'm alive. I feel it thumping in my chest. I hear my blood singing through my ears when it's quiet. There is evidence that I have a heart, even though I've not seen it. I have faith that it's there.

People who claim to me that they have faith that God exists had better be prepared to back up their faith claim with evidence. Otherwise, it's not faith. It's blind wishing.

5. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

can be...faith does help in survival game to some extent...make belief entities like god etc make humans adapt to situation more easily...

6. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

Belief is instinctive because without it humans would not be able to plan and only be reactive. As in, "I believe that if I sharpen this stick into a point and wait for a animal to poke it with - I'll eat tonight."

Let's say that a whole group of people were unknowing involved in a social experimentation that was unethical. How to get a whole bunch of people to do things that they would not normally put up with?

A mass job hiring process - but isn't. Sort of like SAW -  except without the actual dead bodies - not excluding a side of beef that was Hollywood-up to make it look like a human carcass.

It would start with the "no cell phone rule" (plus cell-phone jamming) and little things that are not scary by themselves but put together will give you and most people an instinctive defense reaction that your mind might not be conscious of but will actually make you physically sick from stress and mentally unstable from the dichotomy of what is being said to you and what is reality.

Imagine - You and a group of 60 people bussed onto a compound and treated to a seminar with good looking food that smells bad, Chair backs with cartoon jokes about abortion, a motivational speaker that degrades anybody in the audience who questions the speaker and a overnighter that include roaches, bed bugs and ominous distinct screaming. The next day you notice stuff that you didn't notice yesterday. No fire alarms, no land lines, no clocks and all the pictures on the wall are slightly askew and have some disturbing elements in the composition.

You instinct would tell you something is wrong and your faith is trying to form a coherent reason to describe the current dangerous situation that you are in. The kafkaesque atmosphere is making you paranoid along with the others and the job-hunting group begins to accuse each other of being a secret cohort of the psychological experiment.

If people didn't have faith in each other - it would turn into a utter chaos of violence.

Yes, faith in others in a social contract is instinctive as a form of survival based on a shared set of beliefs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)