FIXED: Two invasive ads

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (48 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 11 years ago

I just receive two invasive ads (screenshots below.)

They were both both size pages.. I clicked the skip thing and it took me to another ad. Well, the screenshots are really the whole story:

http://i.imgur.com/sk2Ng.png
    http://i.imgur.com/s19AO.png

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've seen those as well. It happened when I tweeted out my hubs using the "share" option at the bottom of the article.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image79
        Marina Lazarevicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, did you see the same Lexus RX ad or something else?

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it was a Lexus ad.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image79

Thanks for reporting, melbel. This is not part of a known campaign, so I suspect one of the networks slipped it in. I'll need to see it myself to figure out which network it is, though. Could you provide a list of the Hubs you've seen it on? Judging from your first screenshot, it does not appear to be an AdSense ad - could you confirm?

melbelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was not AdSense.

The lexus one and the survey one (which appeared right after I clicked "skip") appeared on
        melbel.hubpages.com/hub/Types-of-Pre-Employment-Testing

And then the other Lexus one appeared on
        missolive.hubpages.com/hub/Teaching-Methods-Randomization-Techniques-in-the-Classroom

The ads appeared on the pre-employment hub just seconds/minutes before I opened this thread (if a time helps.) Also, in the screenshot, you can see the time in which I created the image. I'm on EST.

I hope this helps.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
        Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I actually just had the Lexus add pop up. It happened while I was going from a hub I just read back to the feed. Bizaar it wouldn't let me click the skip button.

3. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The second ad you posted, Melbel, I actually ran into yesterday while re-reading one of my hubs. I had no idea where it came from, but it parked itself right infront of all my text. It was quite weird actually.

4. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I started seeing the lexus ads yesterday when I would try to work on my hubs. When I tried to click the skip it wouldn't work. They get in the way and really are a pain.

2. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Another way of looking at it, is that someone in marketing is feeling very pleased with themselves over that Lexus account.

I hope HP monitor for blowback.

3. melbel profile image93

It happened when I went to edit my hub and then again just now when I liked someone's hub on Facebook.

1. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can block those ads by right clicking and coping the address and head into your Adsense account and place the address on your block ads page.  Of course now that i said this; it may have changed since I have blocked some.  Hope that helps Melbel.

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that would work if it was an adsense ad and it was your impression.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

So.  I spend days, weeks maybe of effort, trying to make sure my hubs aren't spammy, aren't misleading, are Google and more importantly, search visitor friendly.

I hope against hope that a search visitor will find them, and while they may be a bit crap, will not be too offended.

Ah well.

Let's just shove some great big advert in their face - it always says to me that this is a good site to visit... NOT.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

5. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

How about "Why choose online public school?" This one pops up almost every time I access one of my own hubs. Invasive isn't the word for it. And it's been going on for days.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh I wish I got that one.  I get a succession of rather down market ladies who are apparently available on some dating site.  It's probably a fair reflection of my audience I suppose....

I think you might be right, in that ads delivered, supposedly, are reflections of your search preferences. So you get ladies and I get school. lol

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh crap - if that's true, I'm in for an interesting summer.  Next week I start teaching a course called "Serial Killers as Heroes in Popular Culture."

6. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Invasive ads like these used to be anathema to HP. When we reported them in the past, they were immediately removed.

But something's happening, which I find interesting.

These current invasive ads have been appearing for days, maybe weeks, but no Hubbers have been alerting the team to them (at least not in forums), or complaining about them, until now.

I think there's a blind acceptance of the way the net and its advertising works. We're all getting used to it. Getting used to being assaulted by crap we didn't ask for. Getting used to closing an ad window or muting a speaker before we get onto the content we were looking for.

Sheep, we're becoming.

If this ambush style of advertising is going to be a part of HP's ad strategy, then my decision about whether to be here is clear to me.

I think it's because HubPages has more ad partners than before and they deal with a larger number of outlets in which they receive these ads.

It's like saying to someone, "Hey Joe, I bought this shirt at the mall and it doesn't fit me. Could you return it for me?"

Joe doesn't know which store at the mall you got the shirt from, all he knows is the brand of the shirt. Hopefully that's enough for Joe to go on as he hunts through the mall to find the store that the shirt came from. smile

And, of course, perhaps there is blind acceptance, I can't speak for that. I just report these ads when I see them, I don't know how other hubbers deal with them.

If staffers don't come across these ads (perhaps a fairly low proc? --> WoW reference, but I don't know another word other than proc to describe it, sorry) and no-one complains, then it'll just pass under the radar.

On the other hand, perhaps there is some blindness to ALL other types of ads. I see so many ads as a writer here on HubPages that I don't even notice them anymore. It's only when something strange happens that I take notice... and I immediately do. Maybe that's where the "it happens all the time" attitude comes in... because the only type of ads I notice are the bad guys.

Or maybe, if you really hate, hate, hate advertising, you're more sensitive to picking up on negative aspects of it (I'm not saying you specifically, but rather those that might hate advertising.) Kind of like when you're learning something new... like about "endangered species" or something and then you start picking up on newsworthy items about endangered species or hear it in conversation and get to think, "what's up with everyone talking about endangered species lately?" They've always talked about it, you're just more tuned-in to it.

Indeed! smile For a while, AdSense was the only network advertising on HubPages. So, if there was a faulty ad, we knew where to go. Now there are many players in the mix, and without documentation of the ad call itself (found in the page source), it's impossible to know which network served X Lexus ad when Lexus is likely advertising through (in many cases the same exact ad) several networks.

Firebug is a web extension that can be used to trace an ad call as soon as the ad loads. Early next week we'll have a Learning Center guide on how to use it. A screenshot combined with a Firebug report are really all we need when we aren't able to see the ad ourselves at HP.

I will definitely use Firebug next time I see those types of ads. Great idea. I was thinking about manually going through the Page Source to find it, but you're right, Firebug would do it. (Derp moment.) tongue

If you already know how to use it, then yes yes yes! Inspect that element wink

2. Sally's Trove profile image79

You've got to be kidding. You want me to investigate faulty ads for you, HP? You can't do that for yourself? I have to upload an extension to do your monitoring for you? This is nuts.

I started to write here as a way to get my thoughts out in a venue that did the web-work for me. Hosting, promoting, community. Now you want me to police your site for faulty ads while I produce revenue for you? Please tell me I got this wrong.

They don't know which ad it is unless they see it. smile

Well, there's something wrong with that, melbel. It's their site, and they don't know which ads are displaying on their site? That's absurd. What else don't they know?

I liken it to, as a customer, seeing something spilled in a grocery store. You're not required to tell anyone, but it's a nice courtesy. And, if you're going to tell someone, you may as well tell them which aisle.

It would be very difficult for them to track the ad, I know from experience in working in both programming and advertising. When working with different ad affiliates, several affiliates have the same exact ad. (Lexus may advertise with just one company or with a ton.)

HubPages *could* make it so that their system logs every single ad that displays on every single page, but that would be a huge waste in programming and other resources (a whole new database would be needed for this) when so few ads cause these types of problems.

We're in no way required to help HubPages out. They only say, "Hey, hop hubs if you want, comment on others' hubs if you want, report a bad ad if you want." We're in no way required to do anything on HubPages.

But ya' know, if you know how to inspect an element and don't mind going a little bit out of your way to do something nice, then why not?

I really do admire your positive attitude. smile I do believe I'm feeling a bit cranky.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
            mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Sally's Trove profile image79

Please explain this...I have no idea what you are talking about. Proc?

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 11 years ago

of course, inspect element is already a core feature for chrome users so many Hubbers who would have no cause to ever install firebug may already be running chrome and could help you out with such things. So would be wise to add to any tutorial on debugging/discovering source addresses

Firebug has a reputation and a past tendency of causing browser lag so many uninstall it, disable it or never use it if its not part of their daily workflow

That's great information, as you always offer, sunforged. But I have to ask, why should hubbers do HP's work for them?

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I reported a problem a few days ago with ads that were taking up the entire bottom of the screen when you view a hub on the iPad. You could not get rid of them, either.  I haven't noticed it today - but it was happening regularly early this week.  I hope the tech staff made them go away.

This was detected and removed last week.

9. melbel profile image93

Marina,

I saw the ad again, but I was in Chrome this time and didn't know how to use the Firebug-like thing in it. So, I saved the source of the page in a text file. Let me know if you still want it and I'll send it to you guys (not sure which email address to use.)

Melanie

Please email it to adops@hubpages.com and we'll take a look. Thanks, melbel!

We have identified the network and blocked the ads. Let us know if you see them or something similar again.

10. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I had the second one you posted twice yesterday!

11. peeples profile image93

This one just popped up and would not let me get out of it. I had to go back.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6699925_f248.jpg

12. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 11 years ago

I have been either lucky, or perhaps not popular enough these days, but the ads have so far missed me. Thanks for the heads up!

13. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

If I am on one of my Hubs and try to go to the Hub Page front page or feed the ad pops up as a full page ad and it will not let you close it or get away. It is always a Lexus Full Page Ad.

This is so annoying. It will stop people from visiting a site faster than anything.

14. peeples profile image93

Any update from hubpages about this??? Are they going to stop or are they around for a while?

15. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I clicked on the "share" button at the end of an article, it happen to be my own hub, but after the window popped up, the hub changed to a white screen with a video running about a Lexus. No sound, but the video was running. The picture below is a snapshot of it.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6705508_f248.jpg

16. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 11 years ago

I just has an Ad pop-up on screen while on a hub of mine. It was weatherblink.

http: //a.tribalfusion.com/p.media/admNBGXGFnmarR3bnRVbnGWPf4QE35ScrpQH3NYt7xTPjO2cBYYbrZcT6Xq2P3hQAnC2WZbtXdrDndZao5AQ14GvfUGvaUcrjPPvoTWYVWrbP3baxVajpVaQaST3FSGfJPFimPt7dUVM54U6nodir0a2y3t3FPVbB4PJHNTEHh8Evok/2862406/pop.html

I had moved my mouse across the page and, not sure, but passing over the top right ad may or may not have triggered the pop-up. The Ad I rolled over was ProActive on my latest hub.

Has this been an issue today? The ads were removed yesterday, but due to latency some users may have continued to see the ads through the evening.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have not seen them today. Thanks for responding to this issue.

17. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I haven't seen them today. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)