Too Many Links In One Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. jamiew12310 profile image71
    jamiew12310posted 11 years ago

In one of my hubs, within the first 4 or 5 lines, I have 6 links, all to other hubs by me.
    1) Will this affect SEO?
    2) Will people be put off by this many links and not click on any or even just leave the page altogether?

There is only 3 or 4 links in the rest of the whole hub.

It is this hub: http://jamiew12310.hubpages.com/hub/Who … -Euro-2012

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As long as the linked hubs are relevant to the hub there should be no problems. I have viewed the hub and it looks okay to me. It would not offend me to see the links as long as they went to hubs of like nature, or helped give an explanation for what is in the sentence.

As for SEO, I don't think so, but I am not an expert there by any means.

1. angela_michelle profile image94
        angela_michelleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your hub looks just fine, I barely notice the links. The hub looks very appealing.

1. rex michaels profile image78
          rex michaelsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was also worried about to many links, thanks for clearing it up.

2. Josh Bell profile image57
    Josh Bellposted 11 years ago

I think as long as the external links are minimal, you'll be fine. I haven't seen a restriction or limit on the amount of internal links that you can have in a hub

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is true, you can link to any amount of places you own on HP (internal links). But what value does that give to the reader? It looks to me like you, the OP, are only promoting yourself.

1. Josh Bell profile image57
        Josh Bellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's a valid argument. However, if the links are to relevant content, then it's really up to the reader to determine if it adds value, and not up to us.

I so don't agree with you. Once a "writer" sets up six links in four or five lines to his own stuff, the "writer's" authority is immediately in question. It smacks of self-promotion.

It's interesting that HP doesn't penalize this.

I agree that in some cases you're right. However, I don't think that it should be an automatic penalty, because there are always going to be cases where a writer means well and does something like this out of inexperience or the like.

I don't think that everyone who does this should be lumped together under the assumption or stereotype that 100% of them are spammers. I think that these scenarios should be evaluated on a case by case basis (if a penalty were to be instituted).

Sadly, nothing here on HP is moderated on a case by case basis for this kind of spamming, and it is spamming.

Those who put six links to their own stuff on HP into the first four or five lines of their text are spamming. Well, let me modify that a bit...they are not pointing the reader to anything helpful. They are just singing their own song.

You've been here for 6 weeks? Or maybe you've been here for ages by another identity. If the latter, then you should know better.

I realize that nothing here is moderated on a case by case basis, and while it may be unfortunate, I realize that it wouldn't be practical for HP.

When it's related content, it's not for you to determine if the writer is pointing the reader to anything helpful in a situation like this. That's for each reader to determine for himself/herself. If it were unrelated content, then you could automatically chalk it up as spam, obviously.

Now you drag my HubPages tenure into this as if it's somehow relevant to this discussion? The only thing that it's relevant to is that it sounds like this: Since you can't force me to agree with you, you have decided to resort to a lowly attempt to discredit my opinion by making it sound like a person with 6 weeks of tenure can't have a valid opinion.

That mentality is no less harmful to this (or any) community than a person who intentionally spams self-serving links. I thought that we were having a healthy, civilized debate. Evidently, I was mistaken.

So was I. smile

I think that you could put a little more effort into your response than that. After all, that just looks like you're... promoting yourself. But what do I know? I only registered here 6 weeks ago. Apparently, that means I'm not entitled to an opinion unless it's one that agrees with you.

2. Ciccarone profile image69
                  Ciccaroneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha you go Josh! You bring some good points though.

3. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Oh for cryin' out loud. Put yourself in the shoes of the reader and anticipate what the reader wants. What reader wants 6 links in four or five lines? Especially to your own stuff? You are clearly spamming.

I don't think it counts as spamming if they're internal links to other relevant content on this website. I bet you wouldn't mind if someone linked to 6 of your hubs in their article. It would constitute spamming if the links were external/pointing to content outside of this website. That's just my opinion though. There are probably less tolerant folks who would agree with you.

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Wearing my reader's hat, I HATE having lots of links sprinkled through a text, because then I am torn whether to continue reading or to click on the links.

Personally, I prefer a link-free text, and then at the bottom a list of annotated resources with links. Ideally, the notes should tell me enough about the destination of the link for me to be able to decide whether I wish to go there or not.

+1

There had been a huge "hoop-la" about internal linking here on HP, implying that the internal linking would be good for the site or for the hubber.

What matters is what's good for the reader. I don't like a link-stuffed text either...what am I supposed to do, follow the links or read the text?

2. Josh Bell profile image57

@ WriteAngled

While that's perfectly understandable, that's your preference. Each writer has their own style, and in my opinion, if everything was 100% uniform, this site would get boring pretty quickly. I don't mind contextual links at all when I'm reading, but I can understand and appreciate your preference.

@Sally's Trove

What's good for the writer also matters. If it didn't, many writers (including non-spamming, quality writers) would leave, and it would be difficult (at minimum) to attract new writers.

The bottom line is that contextual links are allowed, and writers are allowed to exercise their own style. Until the amount of links is policed by HP, there will always be spammers (even if it were policed, there would still be spammers who would try). That goes for any such website.

5. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 11 years ago

There is a Hubber who will use many (and I do mean many) links right back to his own work.  The entire text is sprinkled with blue links.  Too much, I think.
    I don't like to use links that might cause my reader to go off my page.  They might NOT come back!  I would rather use links at the end of the hub.
    Sometimes I'll be reading a really great Hub, and I'll be directed to go somewhere else to read more info on the same subject.  When I finish reading the second one, I have forgotten to go back!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)