Flogging a dead horse.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (22 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I am not a Democrat or Republican - thought I'd say that up front.

Why are the Republicans debating the Health Care bill again? I know they are against it and will repeal it. I know they've voted on it before - isn't it 33 times? Why waste two days debating something that they know will do nothing - what a waste of public money.

Make your point with one or two debates and votes and do what we pay you for.

How many useless votes do we need? I'd be interested to see how many debates both sides go into knowing that they cannot win - how much time does this take? How much does it cost?

While the Rs and the Ds continue to play political games nothing is being done - it's not tennis, it's called running the country.

I say get rid of them all and get top experts from business, healthcare, silicon valley etc. to run the country...

1. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"I say get rid of them all and get top experts from business, healthcare, silicon valley etc. to run the country..."

We do need to get rid of the career politicians as they are the lowest form of life known to man but I would much rather see Americans who have a sense of duty to serve their country be elected, as our forefathers had intended. Not all R's or D's but people who believe in our Constitution and realize they work for US and we'll fire their sorry asses if they don't do what WE say.

As for Obamacare, IMHO, if Barack Hussein Obama wins and the law stands, this country is FUBARed. If Romney gets in and it's overturned, we can start over, which is what approximately 70% of the country wants.

Again, this is just MHO.

1. Josak profile image61
        Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

46% support the healthcare bill passing the senate according to Gallup 46 oppose it, hardly 70% either way.

2. rhamson profile image67
        rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you put too much faith in that either party can make a unconstrained effort to turn this country around.  I do believe you are right that the country is FUBARed because of this.  The time when patriots and citizens ran this country is long past.  The corporations have taken over through generous donations to the candidate of their bidding.  It doesn't matter what party the candidate is from as they donate through Superpacs and whatever other vehicles allow them to buy their influence.  The electorate is kept in check by throwing no answer issues to divide them all the while the slime bags keep plugging along doing their dirt under a blanket of deception.  If there is to be any change it has to be motivated by US taking their object of affection away, THE MONEY.  Federally financed campaigns will be the first step with all candidates recieving the same amount of money to run a campaign and make their choices the ones we send them there to do in the first place.  This is why I agree that we are FUBARed as you stated because the slime bags on the hill will never let it happen.

1. profile image0

Neither party, on it's own, is going to save this country. We need to work together. Unfortunately, as long as we have career politicians who are only in it to line their own pockets as well as the corporations, Superpacs, etc. you mentioned throwing money around, this country is going to hell in a hand basket.

I agree with your statement that "Federally financed campaigns will be the first step with all candidates recieving the same amount of money to run a campaign and make their choices the ones we send them there to do in the first place." And, you're right again. The "slime bags on the hill will never let it happen." Perhaps it's time the American people stood up and made these D.C. morons realize we mean business or they can take their sorry butts home.

Of course, I have a feeling if we did remove the money, most of these money-hungry clowns would quit.

1. rhamson profile image67

I agree with everything you say except one thing.  These people are not morons as they have very carefully leveraged their way into the position they are in to run our country anyway they see advantageous to themselves.  I agree with Jessie Ventura when he says that the federal government is run by an elite mafia we have had no affect to change for a very long time.  How do you propose we get them to know we mean business while they control the whole shooting match.

1. profile image0

I know these people are not 'morons', rhamson. It was meant purely as an insult to the Washington elite. Using "moron" was a clean up of what I had started to say but changed it, lest I be banned from the forums.

"How do you propose we get them to know we mean business while they control the whole shooting match."

The best we can do is vote them out or investigate them for wrongdoing then prosecute the fullest extent of the law. It wouldn't be a pretty time for this country but, IMHO, neither are the times in which we now live under Obama.

A book comes to mind you might like. Take a look at a book by Vince Flynn titled "Term Limits." NO, I'm not advocating this take place. I just thought you might like the book.

I will look up the book.  The problem with your system changing theory relies heavily on a greatly divided electorate married to a corrupt sytem run by the corrupters themselves.  Time and time again we see the same people get voted in by an electorate that is trusting of the system to speak the peoples mind depending on a highly biased news media with bought politicians.  Political parties change districts or if that is not enough they place a candidate from elsewhere and they still get elected.  I.e. Hillary Clinton as a Senator from New York who was from all intents and purposes from Arkansas.

1. profile image0

What do you suggest we do to "fix" the problem?

There is no easy solution but focussing on the problem and not the divisive sidebars to the problem would be a start.  When we open our mouths people should listen to hear the point being made and not for agreement with our own wants and desires.  This is where we are and the politicians and news media know it and exploit us for it.

How many times have you heard someone say something and seen them labeled a conservative or a liberal?  From that point on you might as well have just put enemy in the vernacular and shut down any understanding of the point they are trying to make. 

We are the solution but we run from the responsibility and leave it to the gorwn ups who by the way are bad parents.  We have to learn how to look past our differences and form a union that can overcome the bad parents.

How that looks or happens is up to us.

2. rhamson profile image67

This is really a shot at the Senate.  The Tea Party is trying to drum up support to defeat Obamacare and more importantly his presidency.  If they can make a big enough issue out of it to the electorate and keep it in the public eye in this election year, they may be able to sway enough votes to take over the Senate and pass legislation to kill it even if Obama retains his office.

3. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How about turning Congress in to a part time job. A couple of months a year, and better yet, they can spend the rest of their time in the State they are supposed to be representing!

1. profile image0

Are you proposing these people live without all the perks afforded them in D.C. and come hang out with us common folk? I dare say most of them wouldn't know how to handle it.

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that how the legislature in Texas does it,  they meet every two years for a short time?  I am not sure if other states also do this.

The less decisions government makes, the better off we would all be!

1. profile image0

"The less decisions government makes, the better off we would all be!"

AMEN!!!!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You just described most of the debates on Hubpages in the political forums smile

1. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

5. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

grandstanding and politicking

how many congressmen? one mineral water each (at the very least), transcript and agenda (how many pages) times how many congressmen, electricity!! What a waste.

6. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting statement to make from the outstart. lol lol
      Because, they rather repeal it. It makes no sense since Romney wants to repeal it also, but then establish HIS own.

Isn't Romney fighting against Republicans are doing presently? Internal strife among party members?
      It doesn't matter how many times they attempt to repeal it.
      Because that's what they do. They look like they are working for the people, yet purposely know their actions are not for the people.
      You pay to have politicians lie to you, so they can further an agenda hidden in plain sight.
      Better question- Why is government attempting to pass so many bills? Bills that probably are not worthy of a pot to piss in. Both sides are guilty of doing this.
      It wastes valuable time and a lot of borrowed money. The cost is too much.
      Oh they know this, but since the country is so divided, they are assured that the citizenry has no way to fight back. So they aren't worried.
      I would agree that the Country should be run more like a business, but do try to remember the worse aspect about business is giving the consumer true value.

2. Lifes 2nd Chances profile image73
    Lifes 2nd Chancesposted 11 years ago

Every election year I am reminded of the old old movie, " Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". I think the writers knew something then that we have forgotten, Corruption had been a sorry part of most political business. Representatives were unpaid and driven by duty and love of their country when this process began, now look at the mess it has become. just my 2 cents.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)