Can't find a job? Romney has the answer for you!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

Unemployed and can't find a job. Romney has the solution! Start your own business! Don't have the money to fire up a new business? Again, Romney has the solution! Borrow the money from your parents! LMAO

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Screaming, it is not LMAO, not funny!   I feel like GGA and WTF!  Is THIS MAN for real? Screaming, this is the ULTIMATE in logic and common sense(venomous sarcasm here).    REALLY?  Many young people are in knee deep debt as it is.   If they had parents who could help them start their own businesses, they would not have to take out loans to pay for college/university.    Many parents are socioeconomically struggling themselves.   Sure, these young people can start a business but first they have to pay their college debt.   If they HAVE NO JOBS, there is no way they can pay their college debts.   First things first, they have to find a job first in order to pay their debts.   Then, hopefully, after ALL THAT is paid, then they can consider self-employment.     

To those in the work game for a long time and who are unemployed.   Again, many working people's parents are the same or worst off.   Many working people do not have sufficient savings to start up businesses.    Hell, many working people did not have sufficient savings to tide them over if they happen to become suddenly unemployed.   When they suddenly become unemployed, it is difficult enough worrying about living from day to day.   Many unemployed people are a half to  one and a half paychecks away from homelessness.    It is extremely stressful for to have bills and rent due and you are out of a job and think about how you are going to effectively pay those bills and have a roof over your head.  Sure, start up business while worrying if you have enough monies to cover your bills because all you have to depend upon is an unemployment check.

Let's prioritize, the first thing on many unemployed people's mind is to somewhat subsistent on their own without assistance.  Even though few have savings enough to start up their own businesses and are able to borrow monies, many are not.    The priority of the many unemployed people are to find jobs which can sustain them and their families.     

WTF, is wrong with Romney?    Clearly, this man has HIS HEAD IN THE CLOUDS!    To paraphrase the Darryl Hall and  John Oates song, he's out of touch!     He just DOESN'T CARE  what is going on with the socioeconomic condition of America.   What are the WORKABLE solutions, ROMNEY?   Keyword here is WORKABLE!

2. kathyinmn profile image61
    kathyinmnposted 11 years ago

Well now almost my problems are over!
    I can start a business, ok.......but my parents are long gone, so now what?  Mana from heaven?

1. profile image0
      screamingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You'd have to ask Romney that! He didn't give an alternate plan!

3. profile image0
    HowardBThinameposted 11 years ago

Starting your own business is one of the smartest pieces of advice.

People who are used to working for others might not understand this concept - but it offers them freedom to make their own way - it offers them security - and it offers them a chance to do what they want to do.

Tiny business start-ups lead to big business.

Romney nailed it. Don't wait for someone to offer you a job. Make your own way and make your own fortunes. If everyone followed this advice, our economy would be healthy in short order.

4. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

The problem with starting your own business is that you need investment capital and a safety cushion of savings to keep you going until the business starts paying enough to live on.

It's very rare for a business to magically start making enough money to pay all your bills overnight. For people who have lost their jobs due to layoffs and jobs bring shipped overseas, they're facing mounting debts and can't risk further financial disaster by starting a business that may not pan out.

I could start a business, try writing online for a living, because I was lucky enough to have financial resources so that it's no big deal if it turns out to be impossible to support myself this way.

But if I didn't have those resources, I could never afford to spend the 2-3 years it's taking me to build up enough online monthly income to replace a job.

Most people don't have that luxury. Romney does, of course, so I guess he can't imagine what it's like to be starting with nothing. I have a little more imagination than he does, and can see why it's risky advice for someone who needs a steady income RIGHT NOW or who has nothing to fall back on if their startup doesn't work out.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+ a multillion times.   The average unemployed person does not even have enough savings to tide him/her over until he/she finds another job.   He/she is in an extremely precarious socioeconomic situation.   He/she is receiving an unemployment check, wondering when the time is up receiving those checks.    Many unemployed people are one half to one and a half paychecks from being homeless.   Their main concern is finding another job to afford them a subsistent living!   Many unemployed people do not have such monies to start up their own businesses.   Romney is missing on common sense and a sense of the current socioeconomic reality.

2. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It sometimes DOES require some capital to start a business, but the term "start on a shoestring" is just as feasible for most.

The problem with many who are frightened of starting businesses, is the money issue. Yet, some of the most successful businesses started in basements - kitchens - and by knocking on doors.

Everyone here on HubPages writes and it takes virtually nothing to start freelancing for others.

Maybe it won't pay the bills immediately out of the gate - but it's better than nothing. And that's how businesses start. Little by little.

Very few have the capital to jump into a business full-force. It takes time.

Flip burgers. Mow yards. Do whatever it takes in the meantime to make money. But keep focusing on your business in what little time you have. Eventually, the income from the business will grow (assuming you're performing a service that's valuable) and you can mow fewer yards.

Once you can prove that your business idea is viable, take out a loan to finance expansion.

It's really not that hard. I've started a number of businesses.

The trick is to take control of your own life and not depend on others to do it for you.

It's empowering beyond belief and anyone can do it ....if they THINK they can.

5. Repairguy47 profile image60
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

I'm glad most of you were not in the first bunch off the Mayflower. I started a business with the tools I bought working for someone else. The hard part about starting a business is getting off your ass and working. Try it and quit waiting for me and those like me to pay your way. And please don't vote.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)