How long do you think a person should be on unemployment?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (32 posts)
  1. jdavis88 profile image90
    jdavis88posted 12 years ago

How long do you think a person should be on unemployment?

There are current people who have been on unemployment for almost 2 years.  Do you think unemployment should be a short term safety net or should it last as long as a person needs?

2. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 12 years ago

If,they can't find a job and can't get training for a job that even exists ,then what choice do do they have if they have no familiy members willing or able to help? General assistance is the only other choice and that won't help if there are no jobs after that.
    Self employment if you have the know how.There are a lot of scams out there too.

3. MicahI profile image84
    MicahIposted 12 years ago

I think it should be a short-term safety net.  If you can't find a job that meets your current expenses, than after the short while you should find ways to lower your expenses and start looking for a job that may pay less.  By making unemployment last a long time, people get too comfortable and don't spend as much time finding a job as they should.

4. KK Trainor profile image61
    KK Trainorposted 12 years ago

It was always meant to be a short term aid to those who need time to find something else. That something else could be a totally different type of job, whatever you can find to make ends meet. It's not the government's place to support people who can't find a job like the one they had before, especially since the longer you're on unemployment the worse it looks to employers. The shorter the better.

5. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 12 years ago

Unemployment is a safety net. It's point is to catch people who have fallen (and keep them from falling farther). It is not the responsibility of the safety net to get them re-employed. Limiting the safety net in some way defeats the purpose of the safety net.

It is really too easy for people to say that so-and-so's unemployment or inability to get re-employed is entirely their fault. Or that they get "comfortable" living off of handouts. Until of course you are the so-and-so and all of a sudden realize that "wow, this is really hard."

Of course people cheat the system. But, then people cheat the 'good' parts of capitalism too. It doesn't make sense to throw out entire systems because they aren't perfect.

Until someone does a legitimate study that actually finds that having people on unemployment for a long time has an over all net negative effect, let's keep it as it is.

Also, keep in mind that tossing people off the net isn't free. They won't all of a sudden become magically employed. Instead the costs of supporting them will shift elsewhere: other social programs, friends and family, community organizations, or they end up falling further into a world of drugs and crime (in which case society still pays the bill).

The real solution is the creation of legitimate work opportunities.

6. jdavis88 profile image90
    jdavis88posted 12 years ago

Thanks all for your answers, I agree that the unemployment system is best as a short term help for those searching for employment.  I do, however, feel that after a certain amount of time, a person should either accept a lesser position and earn some money, even if they have to be on partial unemployment for an amount of time. 
    Too many people take advantage of the system, and 2 years is a ridiculous amount of time.  If we have 10% unemployment, there should be no job ads repeated from one week to the next.

7. gboygemino profile image57
    gboygeminoposted 12 years ago

I agree with some of the comments here that unemployment should be a short term safety net. Making the unemployment last too long may make the person too relax and will lessen the urge to find a new job.
    Just a piece of advice: you can begin to look for employment in the internet. There are several online site that offer home-based internet job like http://dailyincomenetwork.net/dailyincomenetwork/
    However, be very careful with scams. Most scam site ask money for registration.

8. Corrie Lamprecht profile image60
    Corrie Lamprechtposted 12 years ago

One Month.  I have been there twice a long time ago.  Should be more than enough.  Just good to let you make your mind on what to do with your future.  After three to six months you become addicted to getting money for doing nothing.

If you look for a job, can't find one - then it means it is time for you to create your own employment.

Here in Thailand I have seen people making more money from collecting aluminum cans and plastic bottles than many do with full time job. It is hard and dirty low 'class' job, but some of them do make 300% to 500% of average workers class income.

9. profile image0
    Guantaposted 12 years ago

I worked for 43 consecutive years and never collected unemployment.  The minute I found myself without a job, it was up to me to get moving and find another one as soon as possible and I always did.

10. Timmy808 profile image39
    Timmy808posted 12 years ago

Unemployment can occur for a number of reasons mostly due to a lack of jobs in your area or location.   Other reasons can consist of low education for your chosen or ideal job.   Employment can be problematic to the best of persons, a key way to deal with the problem is not to give up and keep trying and to use all possible resouces from recruitment agencies, job fairs, on line jobs board, to your local job centre.   You should also try to find someting to fill gaps in you cv and the longest period of unemployment should be around 1 to 2 years if you end up reaching 3 years unemployment try something other than finding a job, personally I would find a lower paid form of employment until you can get your ideal job, volunteering is also useful but is rearily paid therefore stick to employment.   Another route is to take some form of education possibly college or university, you can enroll on a college route program which goes straight on to taking you in to university although it will take time it will still increase your earning potential.   I run hubpages on gaining employment which tutor you through every stage of applying through to your first day of work.

11. nslettengren profile image59
    nslettengrenposted 12 years ago

In this economy the job market is tough! Even with a college degree... So, I think unemployment should be payed for six months and no more. If you are really trying to find a job six months should be plenty of time to do something, right?

12. MazioCreate profile image68
    MazioCreateposted 12 years ago

I would say until they find a job.  There are many initiatives in this area e.g. Work for the Dole or volunteering, so the recipient is providing a community service and learning other skills, while receiving payments and until they can find work.  I believe a caring community should support genuine cases of unemployment and give these people support in very difficult economic times.

13. abrarr profile image59
    abrarrposted 12 years ago

i think it should be for just a short period of time because after that frustration would lead me to death.

14. JIN1128 profile image89
    JIN1128posted 12 years ago

I think no one wants to be on unemployment and is actively seeking job.  However, it's just hard to find a job these days because of the economy and competition.  At some point during your job seeking, standards need to be lowered.  I don't think unemployment should last as long as a person needs.  It will just not motivate the person to get a job.

15. ylai2@mail.uh.edu profile image60
    ylai2@mail.uh.eduposted 12 years ago

Yes there are people who game unemployment. >sad

There are also hard working folks who can't find a job. :-(

Just because there may be jobs in your city doesn't mean jobs are plentiful all across the United States. :-|

Oh, and we just came out of a pretty bad recession where our banking system was on the verge of collapsing. :-O

As the economy improves, I hope the government stops extending unemployment. Right now it feels necessary. That is what I believe. smile

16. CZCZCZ profile image88
    CZCZCZposted 12 years ago

Unemployment should be a short time deal.  I am sick of seeing people my age - mid twenties not working cause they are holding out for something that pays better or more prestigious.  I've had a job every day since I was 15 and stayed busy doing other things to earn money as well.  Unemployment and government handouts are not the answers for most people's problems in my opinion.

17. AgesMGMT profile image57
    AgesMGMTposted 12 years ago

ok so I think we all agree that unemployment should be a short term thing.  I personally know many people who have abused the unemployment system.  Basically just staying on it for a year while not even trying to find new work.  The unemployment system needs to be way more strict.  People need to be checked up on a weekly basis.  Instead of the honor system of asking if they looked for work people need to provide proof that they spent time looking for a job.

18. cubefactor profile image61
    cubefactorposted 12 years ago

The problem with this debate is that mainstream perception focuses on the exception and not the rule.  There are a lot of legitimate unemployment claims out there, and people should understand that. 

The struggling middle class in this country is demonized more than they deserve, especially when they are the foundation of the economy.

I think it would be smart to include some sort of Career Coaching coverage to assist people in finding work.

19. Keith120 profile image60
    Keith120posted 12 years ago

As long has they want to be unemployed. It might not be the job they want but there are always a job out there.

20. profile image53
    My neck is redposted 12 years ago

3 months maximum , usually.
    my opinion.

21. lmarsh1203 profile image61
    lmarsh1203posted 12 years ago

I think it should be a short-term safety net. As it is now, people do not have the motivation to go out and find work. Why search for a job when a check comes in the mail? I think a lot of people, not all people but a lot of people, abuse this program. And because of the abuse, they prevent people who really need it from receiving the benefit of the program. It's really sad. I hope that people will use what they need and then get off unemployment.

22. profile image54
    James Gregposted 12 years ago

I don't think unemployment is any way beneficial. You should try to never be unemployed, it puts your mid towards destruction and frustration. Unemployment if due to any reason has been for 2 years then it's now time to start earning decently.

23. dillon102 profile image60
    dillon102posted 12 years ago

I have been unemployed for over 2 years. However, I turned down extending my unemployment. When I first started drawing unemployment i felt discussed with myself for excepting money for not working.

Jobs are very hard to come by in my area, I was once hired and fired the same day before i even started working. I was interviewed by the manager and after the interview they said welcome a bored, I thanked them and was happy to find a job. Then the manager said oh shoot i forgot to give you a personality test. It will only take a minute. I said sure, so i took it and waited for the results.

10 minutes latter the manager  came back and said i am sorry but you can't work here. I asked why, he said my personality was more of the leader type someone that takes charge and they want the follower type.

So i was fired about 10 minutes after i was hired.

So I met someone online that taught me how to make money online and its been a slow process but i am starting to really see results.

My point is anyone can make money online and do it legally if they work hard. You don't need a hand out.

24. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 12 years ago

I have not read other answers below, so I hope that I am not duplicating an answer.  I have known and still do know people who stay on unemployment as long as they can, including applying for the extension.  There are several reasons for this.  One is that they are enjoying their unemployment (sleeping late, no effort, lots of free time), and the other is that they will not make as much money at a regular job when they go back into the work force, so they are actually enjoying a small pay raise by collecting unemployment.   Neither of these pathetic excuses is acceptable.  It's true that we all pay into unemployment while we work in order to have that safety net if needed, but to unnecessarily milk the system for one's own personal, selfish reasons is one of the contributing factors towards the problems that the unemployment program is currently experiencing.  It is meant to be, as you say, a short-term safety net.  By ensuring long-term compensation, there is absolutely no motivation for many people to actively search for and/or accept new employment opportunities. Of course, there are always exceptions to every situation.

25. Chris La Mantia profile image59
    Chris La Mantiaposted 12 years ago

It can't go on forever... the problem is that the way the system is set up, it creates a disincentive to go back to work.

While you are on unemployment, if you can find a part time short term job, anything you get paid for that job gets deducted from your unemployment, so there is no reason to take low salary/short term/part time jobs.  On the other hand, if you were to not deduct anything then you could claim unemployment on top of your salary.  I think that half the amount you make while on unemployment should be deducted from your unemployment check, so there is more incentive to work, and once you are regularly making double your unemployment claim you are "off unemployment".  I think that would go a long way toward improving the system and balancing everyone's needs.

26. Bud Gallant profile image60
    Bud Gallantposted 12 years ago

The fairest system would be for a person to receive a maximum based on what they payed into the system themselves.  In other words, if they were working 40 years and paying in, that's different than working 2 years and then collecting unemployment benefits for the next 2.

I think the entire system should be voluntary, but since it is not, I think it is fair to consider it on an individual basis based on contribution levels.

27. natnat90 profile image60
    natnat90posted 12 years ago

I think one year is the maximum.  The way the economy is now and finding jobs is why I say one year. I know people who have been on it two years or longer and that is just too long. One year seems like a long time also but I do think it should be atleast one year.

28. Fuller-Life profile image73
    Fuller-Lifeposted 12 years ago

Unemployment does not replace ones salary. It's calculated at 50% of your previous earnings based on the amount one pays into the system. Initially it's 26 weeks or when your money runs out. After which you can apply for a federal emergency fund which is not a guarantee. This money is taxable and if one finds a part-time job and makes some money, the government deducts the whole amount from the unemployment benefit. So for genuine people who want to find a decent job, this does not make sense as they would rather try and use that time to find a job than could support them. I don't think anyone really wants to stay unemployed as this works on their ego. If you work in a social service agency you must have encountered many people who would rather get a lower paying job than get unemployment. But they can't get lower jobs either for being over qualified. Let's not be quick to judge before we understand the whole situation. I think looking at individual cases would be the best way. And let's not deliberately ignore the race and class factors that still plague us. If you dont have the connections or your name sounds a certain way, you'll be lucky to even be called for an interview even when you are the best candidate for the position. I'll leave it at that!

29. d-richie93 profile image51
    d-richie93posted 12 years ago

Well as long as there are jobs available I think that they should be a short term safety net. But i there are no jobs it should be provided for as long as that person needs.

30. profile image0
    Harsheen K.posted 12 years ago

Well, it is not a question about one's own opinion.It all depends upon how the situations come in front of you .....
    One may want to be full-time employed , but if he doesn't get any opportunity, then he cannot help being unemployed[Full Time].
    Also, there may be people who'd obviously like to remain unemployed because they are worthless enough and love being so .
    So, I think such kind of a person can obviously answer this question..........
    For such people ,even eternity would be less time!

31. profile image0
    thetaxgirlposted 12 years ago

I know several people on unemployment. They are all job searching in their fields and all their fields are doing is laying off more people. They are unwilling to change fields and take less money. It spirals down from there.

32. cmlindblom profile image71
    cmlindblomposted 12 years ago

i think 6 months should be the max!!! People who live off unemployment are a disease to the growth of the country. Now disability and unemployment are 2 different things

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)