Why is one hub doing so much better than the rest?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. grinnin1 profile image69
    grinnin1posted 11 years ago

I can't figure out why my hub "Surprising benefits of Jojoba oil" is doing so much better than all of the rest combined.
    I have looked at stats, nothing noteworthy, duration is good, not a lot of incoming links, keywords okay.
    So I looked at Google keywords and Jojoba oil is very mediocre. Medium and around 110,000 searches, I think.
    Would really like to think that there is some rhyme and reason so that I could improve my other hubs traffic.  Would appreciate any input, advice, or words of wisdom you could give me. Thanks-

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have the same problem.  I have three hubs that account for about one third of my page views and the rest just get random small numbers...and I have 105 articles online right now!  I can't figure it out either, and it's driving me crazy!

grinnin1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad I'm not the only one- I'll be sure to let you know if I figure anything out. I don't know if these are just normal "irregularities" that are not predictable due to the nature of Google, or if there is, in fact, a way to discover what is happening.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

When you say you looked at the keywords, did you look at the incoming search strings and word groups? These days it is not about isolated words, especially in crowded niches.

I will go back and look, I  looked at the phrases most searched in the stats, and I've tried to use those in the titles of my underperforming hubs, but it's such a huge difference in the traffic- it is one of my first hubs, about a year old- wondering if this hub got out of the sandbox and the others are still stuck? Thanks for the advice, I'll go back and check in google keywords for the word strings, too.

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

You can rank number one for "Unimpressed Turtle" but if no one is Googling it, it means nothing.

My enigmatic advice for the day.

But who wouldn't be googling "unimpressed turtle"?  Google searches for this particular hub are mediocre, but certainly less than many of my underperforming hubs(most of them).

4. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

Try a search for it by dropping the first part of the title, then look at the summaries for the competition above yours.  More searches for that and I think your summary looks like it offers more useful information. I do not mean alter the actual title just to alter the search term you type in for clues.

I think the traffic being higher for one hub or two hubs more than the others might be a common problem. It might lead to a bit of vulnerability for traffic, if something goes awry on the popular ones.

I have pondered on things like word count or keywords in this puzzle. We have an ad in the UK that mentions the word Jojoba (not relevant to the ad  as it is for insurance) so that might be boosting traffic a bit.

Thanks for the information, I'll try that. I did come across something that may be making a difference, and that is, I had forgotten, but I  pinned it on pinterest. It's one of only 3 that I've done that with so I'm going to pin some more.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If the difference is due to a backlink this should be obvious in your Google analytics.

Right  -  It's not. Just the same as the other low performing ones. Weird.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)