Waggin' Train dog treats killing your dog?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Ercolano profile image74
    Ercolanoposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7214132_f248.jpg

I just watched a documentary on CBC's Marketplace (which I believe is to be shown in the US Saturday 29th) and it made me extremely angry. Healthy young dogs becoming sick, dying suddenly, after eating these highly popular treats that are sold in Costco and other major pet stores.

I used to give my dog a Waggin' Train chicken jerky treat every day, and he too died very suddenly of kidney disease. Just like that! No Warning. Healthy one day, fatal renal failure the next. Now I know why.

Thankfully, I haven't been to Costco in months, which is where I used to buy them, so my current dog hasn't had any for a long time, but, coincidentally, or is it, as a young dog, he no longer gets sick for no apparent reason like he used to - like thousands of dogs do all over North America every day, and who even knows if these things are sold in Europe.

I don't care what this company's videos say in response to all the controversy; they're in the defence, spinning it; different labs around the world where asked to test many dog treats - the brands of which were anonymous - and all the tests that came back with suspicious elements in them that would be detrimental to a dog's health belonged to Waggin' Train... all made in China... of course... aren't most contagions in food? They just do not have the same health standards we enjoy in the West. It's something in the glycerin and it's been an issue before in China. That's all I need to know; I will never even look at these things again, no matter how much the dog loves them and neither should you; the videos and stories of YOUNG dogs dying after eating these treats were shocking.

I will also be checking, very carefully, for ANY treats made in China... which is another thing; most packaging fools you immediately, sounding wonderful, stating everything you want to hear, mentioning 'APPROVED in the USA or Canada', making you THINK that's where they're manufactured, but if you look closely, in the small print, you'll see that they were 'made in China.' And Canada, much to my great consternation, doesn't even have regulation for dog food.

Please help spread the word on your Facebook, blog whatever, to make this company stop killing our dogs; this isn't happening over a period of years, it only takes weeks to destroy a kidney. Also go to their Facebook page (below) to see other people's outcry about this... and do your part, tell all your friends... everyone... and their dog.

See the CBC's page and video on this matter here: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/ … -fido.html
    Waggin' Train's Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/waggintrain?ref=ts&fref=ts

1. kathyinmn profile image60
      kathyinmnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was just going to write a hub on this when I ran across of your post.
      A few years ago my dog Jasmine died when she ate tanted dog food. I am very angry that they are still selling this product.

I think we should boycott this product and everyone should write to the company and demand they take this product off the shelves, also go one step farther demand that they STOP buying from china.

Ercolanoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks kathyinmn, yes people are making these demands on the FB page.  I will certainly never buy any food of any kind made in China again, and don't be fooled by packaging saying 'approved in USA or Canada', it's only very clever marketing.  I think in a world of social media we can all do whatever we can to spread the word and have our voice heard.

2. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

This really is shocking. Good for you for getting the word out. It doesn't look like much has changed in the pet food industry.

No, but if enough people take notice and spread the word about something as important as this, then the company will HAVE to think again. I notice on their Facebook page there's a lot of outcry against Nestle Purina about this after the documentary was aired.  Thanks Snakeslane.

3. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

I not only feed my dog home-cooked meals made with grass-fed bison and organic produce, but I never buy any treats for her except Barkwheat dog biscuits. These are made with organic ingredients--buckwheat flour and (depending on the flavor) fruits, spices (ginger or sage), berries and other healthy items. In addition to being organic, they're grain-free and gluten-free for dogs with allergies. They're made in the USA, so there's no reason to worry about the contaminants of Chinese products with these treats.

The Barkwheats Bakehouse company was started by a husband-and-wife team, but (after outgrowing their ability to keep up with orders) was recently sold to an organic pet treats company, Clear Conscience Pet (www.clearconsciencepet.com), and the name of the treats--which come in four flavors--is being changed to Cruncherz. 

I'll throw in another "plug" here for the online store with the best price--www.heartypet.com. Each 10-ounce bag costs $6.99 and is well worth every penny!  I keep several on hand, at least two packages of the Ginger Yaps (with ginger and parsley), which are great for digestion and aid in fresh breath.   With the change-over in company ownership, Hearty Pet is currently out of stock, but they hope to have new stock next week.  Don't take chances with your beloved pet's life by buying cheap, unsafe treats! Buy treats you can trust not to hurt your dog.

Thank you.  Yes, I am content with the choices I make for my puppy today, I bought these from Costco thinking that they looked great, and thinking, perhaps rather naively  that Costco only carry good quality products, and not cheap either.  After reading some more comments on their FB page, I've realised why every time my dog comes back from there he's sick for a week, we used to joke that he was allergic to their cat, we couldn't explain it, but no, they've always given him these treats when he's there.  I will, as I already do his food, US manufacturers, where there are FDA regulations for dog food exist, inspect every detail of dog treat packaging from now on.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

IMHO, jerky treat are just not worth the risk anymore.

In mine too.  When I saw how they were produced in China, I cringed.  Thanks for commenting.

5. Dreamhowl profile image95
    Dreamhowlposted 11 years ago

My store stopped selling this brand of treats - at least, I don't see them around anymore - and wonder if this is why. Lots of people come in looking for treats made solely in the USA now, as well. It's great that you are sharing this information.

Yes the one great thing about social media is that we can share important info like this very quickly.  The more people that know, the better, maybe Nestle will be forced to produce in the US and not China.  Thank you Dreamhowl.

6. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 11 years ago

I did share with a bunch of fellow dog owners and trainers on Facebook and have been doing so for some time, but some people tell me these things are still on the shelves of many stores!

Exactly the point of many who were interviewed and campaigning, and people who have also commented on on their Facebook page.  Why are they still on the shelves?  The only thing we can try to do is boycott this product and tell everyone we know with a pet not to buy these and others made in China.

1. alexadry profile image95
        alexadryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It almost seems like the case of Hartz and Biospot products. There are websites  full of testimonies of pets killed by their products (Google Hartz Kills , or Biospot victims, yet it is still sold in most pet stores:(

7. Shaddie profile image76
    Shaddieposted 11 years ago

I would have thought people would have learned their lesson about avoiding Chinese produced products after the whole dog food scare many years ago (I think in 2007?).

Jerky treats are not the problem here, China is. They have very lax standards compared to us, and their irresponsibility has taken its toll on our pets more than once. ALWAYS check the back labels of the treats and foods that you buy. If it doesn't say manufactured in the U.S, pass it up. Remember that some companies will be sneaky and say things such as "packaged in the U.S" but in smaller print will say "manufactured in China." Be scrupulous.

Thanks Shaddie, yes, I do make the point of the clever marketing here and it was interesting on CBC's video how many people subliminally accepted that it was made in the USA or Canada by the wording, 'packaged in... or approved by'.... but then in the small print, 'made in China'.  I guess there are a lot of new pet owners since the scare in 2007 who might not necessarily be aware of what happened then, or perhaps just new pet owners since, and so a reminder every now and then, never goes amiss.  I will most definitely be checking for ANY food product out of China from hereon in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)