Does The Classic Hub Hopper Devalue our Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Marketing Merit profile image94
    Marketing Meritposted 11 years ago

Posting a response to another thread, this thought came to mind....

I wonder if the Hub Hopper is potentially devaluing our hubs.

If someone is not interested in your particular topic, then they will skip it in a split second.

This reduces the amount of time spent on your page and also leads to an increased bounce rate as they hop on to the next hub and not another page on your site (subdomain).

Only recently installed Google Analytics for my hubs but I am horrified by the bounce rate that I am achieving. This is sending a signal to Google that my hubs are sub standard and not worthy of ranking!

Perhaps the way to reduce this is to allow Hubbers to pick the topics they want to hop?

Any thoughts on this from those more SEO minded than myself?

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not really SEO minded, but it sounds like common sense. Anyone using the hub hopper is considered a visitor by google, and I know I'm guilty of simply pressing the hop button if I'm not interested in the hub. That has to increase the bounce rate! If Google is devaluing my hubs because of the hub hopper, that's really not fair is it?

Marketing Meritposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My sentiments exactly Daughter of Maat!

I have over 30 websites of my own and don't achieve a bounce rate of anywhere near that of HubPages.

Something's just not right but I can't quite put my finger on it!

2. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Google doesn't care about Hubpages' hub hopper. It's only on Hubpages, nowhere else on the web, so it would be a useless metric for comparing webpages on hubpages to the rest of the web.

Google ONLY cares whether people are finding what they're searching for via GOOGLE.

If someone's hopping in a hurry with the hubtool, so what? Those are people playing a game, not looking for a particular search query. Someone might hop away from a boring article on how to replace tha ballast on a fluorescent light immediately, because it's not a fun read, but that would tell Google nothing about whether it's a relevent and useful page for people trying to change the ballast on fluorescent lights.

This is what most experts forget to tell you about bounce rates.

GA wouldn't record someone hopping hubs as a "bounce" anyway, since they are not bouncing back to Google, but continuing to navigate the same site. In Google's eyes, that's the opposite of a bounce -- it's someone remaining on a website.

Finally, to explain recent traffic drops, we have to examine recently implemented policies, algorithm changes or new traffic factors, not ones that have been around for years.

Thank you for your detailed feedback Greekgeek. It is very informative! wink

Just one other thing I'd like to ask and that is regarding the change over in the profile page. Several people have commented that this has adversely affected their traffic but I'm unclear as to why.

Would you happen to know?

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

IMHO there is nothing wrong with having a high bounce rate.  Bounce is not objectively bad.

I always thought a high bounce rate was bad to be honest Psycheskinner although someone else also said, on another thread, that the time spent on the page was a more important metric.

I'm just wondering how Google view it.

I have over 30 websites of my own and have never experienced a bounce rate of over 80%, which is what I am recording with HP.

Instinct tells me to just wait and let the dust settle for a while.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

My hubpages goal is to have many perfect visitors who comes to one of my hubs and leave by clicking an ad.  That is: I actually *want* them to bounce.

My other websites want them to stay and read everything I have to say--which is different.

5. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 11 years ago

I know I may get flak for this, but I have had thoughts on this hub hopper feature too. How does it differ from a traffic exchange program? And doesn't Google not like traffic exchange programs?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)