I'm going to become a murderer....

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Over the Spring and Summer I asked permission of my apartment complex for fish. I had a ten gallon tank and a half dozen fish and all was good. I planned on taking care of them until they died.

Fast forward six months, and my apartment decides to crack down on pets of all kinds, charging 400 dollars for violations. So I have to get rid of my fish. I have literally begged everyone I know to take them (and I'm offering a free tank, filter, gravel, decorations, automatic fish feed, water conditioner, net and food-- EVERYTHING you would ever need) for free and even people who can take them (they live in a house, etc) can't.

I'm now offering them on Craigslist for free, but what if no one wants them? I'm having to face the possibility that I'm going to have to kill these fish who've kept me company. Call me over-dramatic, but I work with animals every day, I love animals and I'm a total softy. I've called local fish stores and pet stores and they won't take them, even though the six I have are in good health.

Are there any other options left that I haven't exhausted yet? It'll be a crappy few weeks for me if I have to kill them.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Shana

Here in the UK, we have the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Is there a US equivalent? Perhaps they could help?

Hope you find an acceptable option.

Good luck!

Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think of that! That reminds me that I haven't contacted local shelters either. Maybe I could work something out with them. Thank you!

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you have their permission in writing? If so you may have a legal case against them?

It wasn't in writing, unfortunately. It was the verbal permission of two different employees.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's an auction this Saturday at the Great Salt Lake Aquarium Society.

http://www.gslas.com/

Omigosh! You're a life saver. I'm up in SLC this weekend and if I could find someone there, that would be amazing. Thank you!

4. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you call a local daycare and ask if they would want the tank and fish... kids love looking it fish tanks.

That's also a good idea. Hah, I'm going to be calling a lot of businesses this weekend....Thanks!

5. Ann1Az2 profile image75
      Ann1Az2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This may be a long shot, but if you offer to set everything up for them, maybe a veterinarian in the area might take it for a display in their waiting room. My vet has one. Or maybe a doctor's office, dentist, etc.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If you PM the fish you have and your location I might be able to find someone from the aquarium forums I am on.  Or you could try them yourself (aquariumnetwork is a good one).

If you are in the area of Chicago and can drop them off I will take them.

Otherwise you can euthanise them painlessly using a product like finquel.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Is a fish tank "pets" or "decoration"?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It sort of falls in between which can cause a problem.  I have a tank at work despite their being a no pets policy.  But others set the precedent.

2. Shanna11 profile image75

Hah, I was debating putting the fish in bags (with water of course!) for a few hours while they check the apartment in our monthly cleaning check, and then just saying the tank was decoration, but there's too many risks.

4. Theophanes profile image90
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

Our local Humane Society mostly does cats and dogs but it does occasionally get gerbils, bunnies, and fish. If you don't have proof your landlord allowed you the fish I'd try this. Hope that helps.

I don't have proof, unfortunately. I'm kicking myself about it, too. Definitely going to call the Humane Society.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Another thought--many pet stores will allow you to take back the fish if it is healthy.  No refund but they will take it off your hands.

I called all the ones I could find and they all declined. I'm literally giving this away and no one wants them. I live in Utah County in Utah, and I've offered to drive anywhere in Utah County to drop them off if needed.

6. kathleenkat profile image84
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Forseeable options:

Pay $400.

Donate to a dentist office (my mom did that with her fish when she had to move).

Please don't kill the fishies! I find it ridiculous that they would crack down on fish. Fish are essentially houseplants. Actually, houseplants can be messier.

Hmm. I didn't think of that! I'll have to make some more phone calls to places with tanks.

I really will probably not even be able to kill the fish if it comes down to it. I can't afford a 400 $ fine---every month. It's recurring. I could potentially hide them during cleaning checks, but I've got his paranoia that they'll search my shoebox room and find them and charge me anyway.

7. kathleenkat profile image84
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Disguise the fish tank inside a box wrapped in gift wrap and a bow. Tell them NOT to touch your extremely heavy present for a friend.

HAH! That may be the most genius idea I have ever heard. They would be violating my privacy if they opened that package up. I may /actually/ do this! Thank you!

8. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Ah! A friend of a friend who is a fish rescuer has agreed to take them in, and I feel they'll be in good, capable hands. Thank you all for the help and suggestions!

1. kathleenkat profile image84
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Try hiding a fishless fishtank in a box and catch them snooping.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glad to hear you found someone to take them smile

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great news, Shanna. I'm sure that will be a big weight off your mind. I hope that you find yourself in circumstances very soon that you can have whatever pet you wish by your side smile

9. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

Hi Shanna I do not know you and I do not want to sound presumptuous but I was so upset reading this thread yesterday that I had to ask "Why is she even living there?" I can understand if they do not want you to have a pair of Presa Canarios but a fish tank? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of. If you are on a lease and cant move I apologize, but if the owners actually lied to you and told you it was okay, and then will not even allow something so gentle as a fish tank, I really think you need to find another place to live.
    If someone tried to tell me I could not keep my dog I would move.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with DrMark, and I'm glad you found a home for your fish. This pet hate has gotten out of control. I can't live without mine.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)