Question everything?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Kyle Payne profile image61
    Kyle Payneposted 11 years ago

I have always been a large proponent of questioning everything, and believe it is a needed exercise. I concur with Socrates that the unexamined life is not worth living. What is your opinion and why?

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is by questioning everything that mankind progresses forwards and helps to keep the charlatans and snake oil sellers in check.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gotta say I find it very funny that believers in majikal beings think they question things. lol

If what you say was true - there would be no "walks with god."

Really Mark? Maybe if you questioned everything you might discover majikal beings existed. Far be it from me to suggest that you just sit about waiting for proof to come to you of course.

Odd that you think I didn't look for myself. Turns out to be garbage when you do actually question things instead of doing as you do. wink

Odd that you give the distinct impression that you have never looked for your self, because your distain for others kind of convinces people that you haven't.

Odd that you presume I have not questioned everything considering the posts I have made here challenging Christian dogma. smile

Challenge the Dogma all you wish. Odd you don't challenge the existence of a Majikal realm instead, just the "interpretation," of the majik book.

But - that requires actually questioning things instead of the interpretation of a majik book. wink

Good luck in your new walk - there is only one conclusion to be had once you genuinely question things. wink When you understand that the majik book is nonsense, you will understand my disdain, because you cannot have questioned this.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
            A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not sure if you've noticed, but Mark is one of those who does question everything, like others here, and those who do are not the ones that have discovered magikal beings. In fact, the more we ask questions, the more the answers preclude majikal beings.

1. A Troubled Woman profile image57
              A Troubled Womanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep! lol

2. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can't question everything. Well actually you can, but it's not helpful. Questioning everything is a philosophical position known as scepticism. From a practical perspective, it is a hindrance and potentially fatal.

E.g. is that really a car coming straight at me, or am I dreaming? Or perhaps I'm in a matrix style simulator cool? Or perhaps . . . splat.

For that reason we have developed in a way that allows us to make assumptions. One of those assumptions is that if we think we're experiencing something, then we believe we are, unless we have very good reason not to.

This has some interesting consequences. When someone experiences feeling loved, forgiven etc. and they attribute that feeling to an omnimax deity that can't be detected by scientific means, and when that belief gives solace in times of trouble, then for the person holding that belief there is neither a desire nor a reason to question it.

3. Chris Neal profile image80
      Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that we absolutely ask questions. God gave us brains, He expects us to use them!

But there are three caveats:

1) Many people, some of whom are frighteningly intelligent, think the maxim about the unexamined life is an invitation to narcissistic self-indulgence (this is known as about 85% of the blogoshpere.)

2) Many people think that the maxim "question everything" means also "trust nothing," which means that although  sometimes questioning something might lead you to the conclusion that it's true, your own sense of independence and self-worth demands that you never submit to anyone or anything else, as if your stubborn independence were an unalloyed good thing in all circumstances. Which segues into...

3) The feeling that life is all one big joke, and nothing is funnier than what "other people" (meaning mainly ones you disagree with) feel to be true. When I was a teen and twenty-something, this was true and it's true now.

So absolutely ask questions, but don't reject the answers out of hand!

Gosh - you know what "many "people think then? Odd you needed to suggest that anyone who does not believe the garbage you refuse to question is "stubborn." I think you will find that believing silly superstitions is where the "stubbornness," lies. wink

Does your self worth rest upon believing regardless?

1. Chris Neal profile image80

wink

2. Chris Neal profile image80

However, more directly -
          No
          No
          No
          and No.

You certainly claimed so.

Yes - you did.

Yes.
            Certainly seems that way.

This is why your religion causes so many conflicts. sad

The claim is in the eye of the beholder.
              No, I didn't. I apply that equally to all. If you think that I am only applying it to those who reject God, that is your perception, not my claim.
              No. And I've gone over that one enough times both with you and with others that by now, if I need to go over it with you again, then you're simply not paying attention.
              I believe that to you, it does seem  that way. It's not.
              Which is why your belief causes so many conflicts (sorry, kinda. Too good an opportunity!)

No - you made a claim.
                Yes - you did it is in black and white where you single out non believers.
                I am paying attention - you are being dishonest.
                Of course - it is always the other guy - never you.

Did you ever stop to think how often that "it is always  the other guy - never you" statement you make (it's the single most often used phrase by you that I've read) could be turned back on you?

Just curious.

Yes - of course. But it is not true. It is also not a statement I make very often.

You are the one making the claims. Then accusing anyone who questions or disagrees as being the problem.

This is why your religion causes so many conflicts.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

In reality  the only thing wrong with this is that people actually do this , at the cost of  being  stupid about it !   Conforming  isn't a bad thing . In spite of the liberal intellectual  idealism  professed to be the in thing !

1. profile image0
      Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh anti-intellectualism, you so funny.

3. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

"Reason is, and always to be the slave of passion" - David Hume, Treatise of Human Nature.
    Reason is bound to itself, an inescapable paradox. Left is right where right is wrong. A jumbled state of endless questions mirroring themselves as answers. Answers are left where wrong is right. Reason is the collective of knowledge within. Can you truly "question" what you know? Not really. You can Reason and convince of a solution. This is the Tres Priori { a priori, priori, posteriori }. One question begins and ends itself -and another. One answer ends itself and begins another. Duality, my friend, is Reason. And, as Hume said, is a slave of passion. It was passion that caused the divide of Understanding and is Reason that continues to believe itself and that itself is ultimate power.

James

4. Claire Evans profile image63
    Claire Evansposted 11 years ago

I question everything! I am a curious person and like to find out what I can.  When it comes to God, I may wonder why He sets me on a certain path and may ask "why" but I don't question His wisdom.

So - no questioning then. Far as I can tell - you already have all the answers. They are all wrong, but you still have them to comfort you in times of no nukular 'splosions. wink

5. Kyle Payne profile image61
    Kyle Payneposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the participation everyone. I have another question. What proof or absence of proof do you believe shows mostly that any type of transcendent being exist? Also, for those who do believe in a God, what proof do you regard as the basis of your belief in God?

Knowing that I'm painting a target on my chest by doing this, I still have to say that, at least in my case, God reached out to me, not the other way around. I was really just about the last person who would become a Christian, because I was so not concerned with spiritual things. Although my late father was a Christian, I didn't live with him. My mother is not a Christian. But one day He made Himself known to me (and no, I never did drugs.) A lot of things that didn't make sense before do now. As for external proof (which I assume is what you're really asking about) I would point to all  the things that Christians usually point to as proof of an orderly universe and that atheists point to as proof of a random universe. Perspective has a lot to do with it.

1. A Troubled Woman profile image57
        A Troubled Womanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't be worried, Chris. Think this way - if all the people on Earth were color blind, except you, in that case could you ever prove to others how colorful our world is?

Only you would know that truth.

(The bullies are numbered around here. These trolls are incredible specimens of neurosis. Just ignore.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)