Congratulations to the left on a successful indoctrination.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Barefootfae profile image61
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ … 5-18-22-25

This is a sad thing. The young man was depressed. The Christianity around him had nothing to do with that but he did as he has been taught.

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The man is suffering from clinical depression."Page said he had been medically disqualified this semester from receiving a commission in the Army as a second lieutenant ... because of clinical depression and anxiety. He said his condition has gotten worse since his father killed himself last year." I question a journalist who chooses someone in that condition to make an issue of his personal perceptions especially when the people there disagree with his assertions. Even one of Page's secularist classmates went further, calling his characterization of West Point unfair. "I think it's true that the majority of West Point cadets are of a very conservative, Christian orientation," said senior cadet Andrew Houchin. "I don't think that's unique to West Point. But more broadly, I've never had that even be a problem with those of us who are secular."
      I think it is a shame that an AP reporter has chosen to use Page to make some unsubstantiable point that West Point is overtly religious. This article has victimized Page because he has a medical condition that very well could be at the root of his feelings about West Point. It appears to me that the journalist is trying to project his world view onto the reader by reporting on Page's likely delusional assertions (he is suffering from a worsening condition of clinical depression - not someone any respectable journalist would use as the basis for any article). Yellow journalism if I ever saw it.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

A young man made a stand on principal.  Why assume it was for any reason than his sincere personal moral beliefs? He should do what he thinks best.

A quick Google would no doubt illustrate that this is not a new issue at West Point. I've been hearing about enforced prayer (opting out not allowed) and religious faith effecting performance evaluations there for at least a decade.

Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes and he was about to graduate. He has known the atmosphere there for how long?
      So now he takes this action for what purpose? Did he actually ever intend to serve his country?
      I can tell you from experience around the military that yes there are lot's of Christians and no you don't have to be one if you don't want to.
      I think he found a convenient excuse to leave. Nothing more.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nothing more?  What about that "successful indoctrination"?  roll

Yes...he was taught to hate Christianity.

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And you know this how?

psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Um.  Because he wants the freedoms guaranteed to him by separation of church and state?

And he is hardly the last to protest this issue.

www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/us/25academies.html (2008)
            http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2009 … ce-in-our/ (2009)

etc.

On the more tolerant side, the West Point chapel recently celebrated its first gay marriage--and a speaker (a General no less) was cancelled because he openly states that the religious practices of Islam should not be protected under the constitution.

It's a mixed bag. But certainly open to critique, I should think.

I think we should also respect the choices people make about their own lives, and not assume they are stupid, immoral or "indoctrinated" just because they don't fit some idea of what we think they should believe.  Ultimately, the facts are the facts.  Based on what he was being asked to do, he chose to leave instead. The choice is his to make. Most of his educational credits will be transferable to another college.

I would guess he took the actions he felt he needed to for his own sincere reasons.  Why do you assume otherwise? Maybe the final straw just happened to hit him at that point and he no longer felt inspired to pursue that career.  Better now than after he joined a branch of the service.

And I suggest you look into just what is going on in West Point before assuming it is the same as every other military insitution. They have a history of not respecting freedom of religion.

They have a history of educating leaders in an area where they are needed.
          Why wait till now?
          He has been there four years.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Things happen in their own time.  Why not now?

And yes, they have a history of being a great place to get and education.  And a history of not respecting freedom of religion.

Things are not black and white, all good or all bad.

I say let the man lead his own life and make his own decisions--rather than assuming stuff about him we know nothing about.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I don't get why this is a necessary a left leaning decision. Sure you don't believe that only liberals are atheists? And they don't necessarily hate Christianity.

They don't necessarily NOT hate it either.

So, you assume all people hate Christianity unless proven otherwise?  Or just all liberals?

That seems less than charitable.

You assume that I assume. Right?

I just saw you assume it about Blake Page. And then defend the assumption with relation to his presumed demographic group.

So, no, that was not an assumption on my part.

1. Credence2 profile image78
              Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't you find it interesting that the Christian right somehow links the concept of the military (organized violence) with Judeo Chiristian teachings of peace and charity? Darkness and light coexist?  How are the two compatible? Seems like it is the Right that is guilty of indoctrination on a grand scale.

The idea of religious 'establishment' should be excised from our service academies as well as from the society at large. The silence on this point from the political right is deafening.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)