How do you practice Fasting?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Originplus profile image61
    Originplusposted 16 years ago

I know different religion apply fasting to their observance in what they believe in ? Do you fast and if so , what type of fast do you do?

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I don't smile

3. Originplus profile image61
    Originplusposted 16 years ago

Well thank you for sharing anyways smile

4. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 16 years ago

When I first started on a spiritual path, I would fast at particular times of the year when others did, like during lent in Christianity. Since I am older now, and have been working on balancing my karma for over 20 years and now eat a very lean and simple diet, I don't fast unless for health cleansing or during illness, which isn't very often. I intuitively eat what I feel is needed and not eat what isn't good for me...too much, anyway. I still will have a Pizza Hut or Papa John's, etc... pizza when I get the urge! or if I am sharing it with others for a party or gathering.

I believe what we eat and our sense of why and how  we eat is for the most part very important for connecting with God/Universe at all levels of consciousness. I remember chewing  basmati rice for as many times as possible before swallowing, it took an hour to eat one bowl full, which along with some lightly steamed vegetables, was the fast meal. The whole point of eating that way was to connect and be devotional to the body as the temple of "God", with great love, to care for our self as respectfully as possible.

5. mohitmisra profile image61
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

Fasting is an act to get you closer to god.We do get our energy from food.This is indirectly-water and sun playing the major part.
    By fasting one realises that he is living because god wants him to-god is his energy.
    I never tried to volantarily fast -yet the initial stages of being a poet were hard and there were times I did go without food.It just made me lot stronger and humbler and closer to god.
    He destroyed my ego,made me understand life a lot better.
    Poet Mohit.K.Misra.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am much like you Mohit.  I have never voluntarily fasted, but did at one point fast and live on God for a while, about a month.  Not that I did not eat at all, but very little.  Then I was like, what???I am starvin, can I get some food God, and God was like, I never asked you to fast.  LOL.

1. mohitmisra profile image61
        mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hahah god is kind.
        Today I understand that he created all the food for me and thank him before every meal.
        He looks after all of us the insects,animals and man.
        A couplet i have written in my book about a foreigner, Australian girl who came to india.

More than welcome are you indeed ,
        God decides who,what ,how much and where one shall feed.
        Poet Mohit.K.Misra

6. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

big_smile

1. profile image0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Owned.

Cut and paste is better than a personal tape recorder.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think I upset him big_smile

A lot of people don't seem to realize that everything they say in a discussion here is written down. In words. And stays here. For ever. Or at least as long as hubpages is around - and I don't see them moving on to the next plane of existence just yet.

The really funny thing was that it wasn't me who had a go at him. And the poem he was attacking was actually a quote from Albert Einstein's poetry. And it wasn't even me that added it to the discussion LOL But he thought it was my poetry and called it "pretentious." LOL

1. profile image0
          Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol.

I "update" my quote for more humorous effect:

Cut and paste is better than a personal recorder whose archives are locked away in a military nuclear war proof bunker.

lolcatz!

LOL. Which gives me an excuse for this promo: I write a blog about luxury property and expensive toys and I covered a phone recently. This phone costs $7,000 and is their "budget" model lol But one of their selling points is the fact that they back up your personal data to an ultra-secure server maintained in an ex-military underground bunker in an undisclosed location in England - Luxury trends Their top-of-the-range stuff is insanely expensive and has nearly 1,000 diamonds set into it. LOL

2. mohitmisra profile image61

Mark I would like peace with you,I put up my rankings to tell you I do have some qualifications,
          Peace
          Poet
          Mohit.K.Misra

Mohit - You are the one who attacked me. I did not post the poem you were criticizing. You owe me an apology. And if you want me to list my qualifications, I will do so. Just remember - I am old and have had many years in which to collect them. big_smile

1. mohitmisra profile image61

Would love to hear your credentials, book rankings etc.
              and peace

I have no particular wish to brag about my credentials. And I doubt very much whether you would accept them as you appear to think that book ranking is important.

Also, you seem to have missed something pertinent to the discussion big_smile

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL Nice compilation big_smile

7. Andrew0208 profile image57
    Andrew0208posted 15 years ago

How do you practice Fasting? When fasting, I lure my mind in to deep meditation on the scriptures resulting into my heart being flooded with Lights. I got without food for a period of time, interesting!

8. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I have never fasted, but I admire those who do.  I like food smile.

9. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

During Ramadan, most of the people I work with fast from dawn till dusk (or more correctly from before the dawn prayer till after the dusk prayer). In this country this is also the law, so if you are not a Muslim and do not fast, you must still find a place out of public view to eat or drink (or smoke), otherwise, you are breaking the law.

I find it easier just to go along with this than to find secluded corners for a quick bite, and so I don't eat during the daylight hours. It's no hardship when you get used to it. I do drink water though, because not to do so is unhealthy in such a hot climate.

Many of the locals actually put on weight during Ramadan, because of the huge amounts that get eaten in the evening and through the night. I'm sure that was never the intention in the early days of the tradition!

10. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

sounds like "some people" need to fast to rid themselves of their excessive egos ! smile smile smile

1. profile image0

You never did finish up in the science forum from just before Easter, speaking of fasthing.  smile

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
        SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sandra,

You'll have to point me in the direction you mean...how can I access what you are referring to?

1. profile image0
  11. mohitmisra profile image61
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

Fasting also goes to the extent of Santhara the Jains practice.Here an old one or someone with a critical desease will fast to death.Monks will chant around them continuosly.The intake of food is gradually decreased over a period of weeks.It is said the human starts glowing and before his end has smile on his face--he goes consciously to god.
    Poet Mohit.K.Misra

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)