Are you angry enough to fire congress yet .........

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (31 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Fiscal  cliff , a ten or twelve percent approval rate ,  a complete disregard for the will of the people ,  they vote them selves a raise when they can't even  agree on a budget ,  Our congress is letting  foreign countries to eatour lunch !  Are you ready to Fire thier asses yet ?

1. Jillian Barclay profile image72
      Jillian Barclayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Half the members of Congress are millionaires, and most of them became that way AFTER they took office...Heck! If I had been a better planner, I would have run for Congress...
      The ones who aren't millionaires are probably the new ones- they'll get there, too-
      Seems it is never about the country, but always about themselves. They don't care about much except getting re-elected and their own paychecks and benefits, including their hefty pensions- AND they qualify for a pension check after only 5 years of service.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/common/ … bers.shtml

1. movingout profile image60
        movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gosh, and I thought by playing the lottery I could get wealthy! lol...Jillian Barclay you hit the nail on the head! How can we expect these politicians to vote into law what would benefit the majority, if it means them losing money? Common sense says they're all crooks or become crooks after getting into office! If they felt serving the country was such a great honor they should do it for free and get NO pension or special perks after their terms end!

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have been more than ready to fire them for a long, long time, but it will never happen.  Unfortunately, many of those who bother to vote have no idea whom they are voting for.  They vote party line only and do no research into who the candidate really is.  All the information they need is readily available on the internet, yet they don't bother to check.
      Just before the last election, we had man-in-the-street interviews that proved we had citizens who had no idea who was running for office.
      We voters are the only one's who can fire these do-nothing crooks that claim to represent us, but that will never happen until the voters spend some time to get educated.
      It is hard to believe the last election was decided on the merits of free birth control and gay marriage rights.

2. botipton profile image59
    botiptonposted 11 years ago

Congress is the only group that I know of that can create a problem and then go out and campaign to stay in office to fix the problem.  Also the more they can convince people how much they spent on them (doesn't matter if they did or not) the more likely they will stay in office. 

Then with the record they have of ignoring what people want they still have the right to give themselves a raise.  I do not remember working anywhere that I decided if I could get a raise or not.  It was always the boss and I thought, but apparently I am wrong, that they were working for the people.  Hmmm! I don't remember giving them a raise.

So with all that do I think they need to be fired.  I think they should be fired and the new ones who take office take a drastic cut in pay.

3. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

I am absolutely ready!  Where do we start?  How do we do it? The SOONER, the better.  We need to give the entire bunch of them from the big guy, on down......the BIG BOOT.    Don't tease me with a question now....Tell me what we're doing.  Give me the word....I'm with you and 90% of the Nation.  This is long overdue............Happy New Year.

1. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, two months too late for a good start.

4. profile image54
    whoisitposted 11 years ago

Most of the people in favor of firing congress are only in favor of firing the other side, their thieves and liars are just fine.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol  Too true.  All too true.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen brother!

Except - none of them are "my thieves and liars" I vote to fire them all!

GA

5. Michele Travis profile image66
    Michele Travisposted 11 years ago

Actually there are bad people on both sides of the political fence.  Some are lazy, Some,   take long vacations. Some just keep changing their minds. 
    We can keep tabs on them.  What we really need to do is vote.
    Each and every time they run for office.

Let them know we are voting,    Let them know we are keeping track of what they are doing.  If we like what they are doing, then we might let them stay in office.  If we do not like what they are doing in office, we will chose someone else.  We are the bosses.

I am serious about that.  Vote each and ever time.  Sometimes I vote Republican, sometimes I vote Democrat, and have even voted Independent.

1. profile image54
      whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think we are getting to a point where that is not enough.

1. Michele Travis profile image66
        Michele Travisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then what is your suggestion?

1. profile image54

I don't have a suggestion, the chips will fall as they do.

Mine is to vote,  get out and vote.

1. profile image54

Approximately 100 million voted in the last election, we have a population of over 300 million. Voting is no longer the answer.

6. profile image0

No need to put words in my mouth , I'm a middle of the roader , Fire them all is what I say !  A grass roots effort to "vote against ALL incumbants"  !  That would send the ultimate messege ! And don't say it would get rid of the good ones too ........They are all at fault of doing far too little !

7. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

They've had since May to get this done! Fire them all!!!!!! All the seem to care about is themselves!

8. profile image0

Are we ready to vote them all out , it cant be any worse withh all new faces .....or feces !

9. K J Page profile image60
    K J Pageposted 11 years ago

Boston Tea Party??

10. tammybarnette profile image61
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

Most sickening to me is the "reasons" behing the tug-of-war...lobbyist groups! I heard earlier on CNN, that each sides base is saying "do not sign,"...the implication is that they will "fire" them...Money and the power it beholds, is the real culprit behing the stand-off. IMHO, if we want legislatures to make laws that benefit Americans, remove the lobbyist.

11. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Amen get rid of the lobbyists! And while were at it fire all in congress!

12. profile image0

SO HOW DO WE FIRE THEM ? I've been thinking about theis for a while , okay we vote for  the image , the person you "like " right soo .  The next time we vote , we vote for the non incumbant , pick the next one in line that you like . same party ! Liberal , conservative ,it doesn't matter .   We've got to stop this  routine of allowing career congressmen to enrich only themselves and thier friends!  Term limits are the new "must ".  Come on who has the name for this grass roots move !  We can do this !

YOU GOT IT!!!   Don't just vote along the party line.  WE HAVE HIRED THEM, WE CAN FIRE THEM!     or maybe   WE HAVE HIRED YOU!! WE CAN FIRE YOU!!, WE HAVE HIRED YOU WE CAN FIRE YOU!!!

2. Jillian Barclay profile image72

Congress as a career? I used to oppose term limits, but that was a long time ago. Now, I am in favor!
      The average full-time worker in this country works 5 days a week, 50 weeks per year---The other 2 weeks are maybe vacation and/or holidays-so figure 250 days a year.
      Congress, over the last 9 years has averaged 140 days per year in session, and that does not even mean they are all there, working.
      They are part-time workers, yet make approximately $175,000 per year----with their benefits, compensation goes to around $280,000 per year. What a great gig!

And now we see career Congressmen sending their children to run when they retire---it becomes the family business.

Maybe it is a good thing that they are there so infrequently. Imagine how much more damage they could do if they spent MORE time working!

Instead of voting all incumbents out, maybe we SHOULD institute term limits, that way after 2 terms, they are gone, without trying to mobilize all voters (probably won't be able to get all voters mobilized to vote out all incumbents). I think they should be allowed a maximum of 2 terms. If that was the case, perhaps we could get people in there who are actually interested in working to solve problems instead of people who are unterested in lucrative careers

1. BloodRedPen profile image68
        BloodRedPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Term limits don't really work. We have term limits in my state government. And all the career politicians do is a version of musical chairs. They make sure they run unopposed and just trade positions.

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
          A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a smart dog.

2. Jillian Barclay profile image72

I don't understand. If they are limited to serving two terms, how do they run again? I would think that two terms would mean two terms, period. They would simply not be allowed to somehow play musical chairs and serve more than two terms. What state do you live in? There have to be some loopholes in your state's version of term limits.

1. BloodRedPen profile image68
            BloodRedPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have an example political musical chairs in California - In your own Jerry Brown. Look at his record - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Brown

13. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

I was ready 30 years ago.

14. profile image0

One term and you never serve again !  Starting from day one . Congress and senate  origionally was founded upon the common mans need to run his own country !   And a jury system like leadership would work there .  No more Al Sharptons , No Kennedy's , no Kings no queens !  There are enough business men , ,stay at home moms , doctors , capenters and nurses  in America that have far, far more intelligence and true understanding of the values and virtues of America ,  than you and I going to the booth and pushing the 'American Idol" selection button !  We have elected enough prima donnas , enough ego maniacs , and enough rich people to congress that have failed us , what risk is there in electing former unknowns , than celebraties !  You've elected hollywood actors ,  Ivory towered eletists ,absent minded  professors and politically correct teflon suits to run the very country that was founded by real people not these  phonies !  It couldn't hurt a bit to  elect real people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)