Posting articles in other places

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. madscientist12 profile image93
    madscientist12posted 11 years ago

When I publish an article on hubpages, am I allowed to use my articles in other places, such as magazines, school publications, or other websites?

1. spartucusjones profile image92
      spartucusjonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages duplicate content policy does not allow you to publish your material on another website. Also as Marissa's points out, it wouldn't be a good idea anyways.

Concerning print publications, I sold one of my Hubs to a print publication. When I contacted Hubpages about it, they told me that their duplication policy only applies online. So I was able to publish the hub in print and on Hubapges.

1. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I did not know you would be able to publish a hub in print.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

It would be pointless to publish them anywhere else online.

When you publish the same article in two places, Google looks at them and chooses one. 

Say you publish an article here and then publish it again on your blog.  Google might decide to ignore the version on HubPages - which means you'd earn virtually no money on it, because Google is your main source of visitors. 

You are free to publish the article in hard-copy magazines.

1. chasmac profile image89
      chasmacposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always feel it's unfair of Google to do that. They should choose the one with the earlier publication date as anything published later must be a duplicate. I was getting good traffic on one hub and then suddenly it dropped to zero because a bigger site stole it. Google featured the stolen copy  prominently and demoted me to that hidden corner of 'omitted less relevant results' that nobody ever goes to. I took action and got it fixed but I wouldn't have had to do that if Google had penalised them instead of me.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.   You wouldn't think it would be that hard for Google to work out which one was published first, would you?  But it seems to be the case.

3. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

What they said!

Online: Big no-no (though you can always un-publish your Hub if you end up putting it somewhere else).

Offline: Go ahead!

4. Santiniketan profile image60
    Santiniketanposted 11 years ago

Right...but...i m just asking, if i have copy right?

1. chasmac profile image89
      chasmacposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes - the copyright is always yours.

5. Shravan Picsonia profile image58
    Shravan Picsoniaposted 11 years ago

If you really want to put it somewhere else, then delete it on hubpages and then try!

6. chasmac profile image89
    chasmacposted 11 years ago

A potential problem I see with publishing offline in magazines, etc., in addition to HubPages is that most magazines also have an online presence. Having paid for an article, they may feel they have the right to publish it online too, or even a part of it for promotional purposes.

1. spartucusjones profile image92
      spartucusjonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You will need to specify that you are NOT granting the publication the right to publish the article online. Otherwise, if publishing it online is one of the condition of the sale, you would need to unpublished it on Hubpages. You will need to work out these terms before agreeing to the sale.

7. LucidDreams profile image63
    LucidDreamsposted 11 years ago

Duplicate content is a scary idea to online publishers. Hubpages for one does not allow this. Although many seasoned writers will tell you that duplicate content is a bad thing. content curation has been happening for quite some time and is utilized by almost all of the big publishers online including Yahoo news and the "Huffington Post". This, in a sense is STILL duplicate content yet it will rank high if done properly.

If you plan on publishing content elsewhere, I would suggest using a blog for your original pieces and then re-publishing this on the other sites of your choice. Don't let the duplicate content forces scare you, it's always better to have original but at the same time, many news organizations find useful articles and re-publish them giving credit back to the owner of said content!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)