An idea to attract new writers and improve overal HP hub quality

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 10 years ago

One of the more discouraging aspects for new and old hubbers alike is the time lag between when you write a hub and when you know if it's a hub that will pay. Unless you're lucky enough to write a hub that goes viral in its first few weeks, you'll probably wait for months or more wondering if it will take off. The hub topic could be a loser, the SEO poor, or the writer's grammar and mechanics are sub-par.

So, what if HP were to subsidize writers by giving them a little upfront money for their hub with the caveat that the hub will be subjected to close editorial scrutiny, and the hubber is obligated to make requested changes to improve the hub before getting a credit in their account. The hubber gets a little warm fuzzy upfront for their efforts (say, a buck) and some good tutoring on topic choice, SEO, grammar, etc.

In return, HP could take a bigger revenue cut on those hubs that have gone through this process, so they have motivation to make the hub work, too. Eventually, the hubber's subsequent hubs should improve and bring in more money for them.

1. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good idea but HP is not going to let go of any of their money.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

From what I read elsewhere, they can't afford to do that right now anyways. When writers aren't getting the traffic they did, neither is Hubpages. The views are down.

1. profile image0
          Casimiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If they don't have money to try new ideas, not necessarily this one, then that's not a good sign of a healthy business.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Both of these things happen already here.

Here's the info on the bonus program
      https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/bonus

The editorial scrunity is better known as the QAP.

1. profile image0

Says I don't have permission to see that page.

I've yet to have any editorial comment on any hub I've written, some of which I know have grammatical errors.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
          Pearldiverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you are interested in improving the quality of the writing...  cool

Then...

Why wouldn't YOU simply worry about the quality standards of your own, fix your own grammatical errors and lead by example for others???  hmm

Or...

Are they hubs that were specifically written to provide examples of poor grammer??  smile

Or...

Are you in need of Editorial attention and are 'Tricking' one of those extremely rare creatures into getting caught in your grammatical net, with the intention of having them pay to get free? yikes

I was once told that 'preferred hubbers' were those who didn't rock the boat and in stormy seas, got the raincoats and an extra lick of the chocolate muffin icing!  Believe me it's not as a result of originality or grammatical skills!  sad

We have had many Quality Writers here,
          some of whom are so talented (and perhaps deemed 'too unpreferred' for here)
          simply because they have the skills and personalities to:

Catch a mouse and 15 rats whenever...
          They can write a hub called say...
          'Really Rough Mice Diets'
          and then are able to provide a virtual crumb trail all though it with only their most budget grammatical cheese!!   tongue  roll

Good Luck...... but NEVER compromise your ethics if you wish to have good cheese!!  big_smile

1. profile image0

Umm a good Harvarti Cheese Sandwhich sounds good with Dill Sauce on marble rye.

2. profile image0

No, I wasn't purposely making grammar errors. They were made out of ignorance, but HP is certainly not obsessed with grammar as part of QAP.

Thanks for the confirmation of that...
              I agree with your earlier point...
              I don't believe selling or celebrating hypocrisy is much to be proud of, when really good writers have taken every effort to maintain high quality standards - only to have a NOINDEX tag attached.  Cheers..

3. profile image52
            sambo1362posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dear Pearldiver I would be thankful if you could provide a means of contact (email preferably).

With Respect

Sam

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe this came up a while back from what I recall, and it came out that it was only ever an experiment that was offered to a handful of hubbers, but never rolled out to the 'masses' therefore whilst some still earn a bit extra from it, no-one else (myself included) has the option to get on to it. I was pretty stunned at the time this came out, as if it was a 'failed' experiment, I wondered why it was still up and running and providing any kind of extra income to a small group of hubbers (surely it should have been axed and the money saved invested in to something that many more hubbers could financially gain from). Needless to say a couple of those in that program quickly said they made very little from it so it was no big deal, but I still couldn't understand why any money was filtered out to certain people when there was no option for others to get involved in the same program..

To compensate for, the variety of different experiences expertly gained, when real cheese is tasted and judged by a ratty, or budget pallet.... perhaps?  hmm

2. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps because it was like every other beta program HP has tested.  HPads, for example, was limited for the first few months to only a few.  Could be mistaken, but I believe the eBay program was another, and certainly the AP was.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
            mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is correct, and exactly what they did, but when they decided not to roll it out site-wide, they didn't axe the program, they left it running, and to this day it still is, only problem being that no-one else can join it, and those still in it still earn from it as an extra 'bonus'.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

What you're describing was done when I went through the AP.  Each hub earned a few dollars for being published and was looked over by staff.  It came from HP money, though, and not a higher cut from other hubbers.

Speaking for myself, those few dollars are NOT an incentive to spend 8 hours or more writing a hub.  Or even a better hub than I might otherwise have written.  All incentive comes from the fact that the hub may perform well in the future and earn me something and, for the AP, the fact that I was learning how to produce such a hub.  It did produce a fuzzy feeling, though, at the end of the month when I found a little extra income in the account.  Just no incentive to do it again.

Again speaking for myself, I would not be very happy to have HP take extra from my earnings to give it to someone else so they would have that fuzzy feeling and maybe HP could earn more down the road.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Wilderness -

As he says, the AP (Apprenticeship Program) included a small financial incentive for up to 15 hubs a month.  Also as he stated, that small amount of money is not an incentive for me to write more hubs (and that applies to the bonus program, too).  I was, and am, very thankful for the learning process the program offered, though. Even though I have been commercially published for many years, I'd not tackled online publishing (on my own - the magazines and newspapers I wrote for published online, but someone else did the formatting, SEO, promoting, etc.). HubPages was my first venture publishing directly online, so I'm extremely thankful for the support the staff and site offer to all writers.

My personal opinion is that the very small incentive or payment per hub the AP included was more of a trade-off for learning what the program offers rather than compensating us for our hubs.  I also feel that we should let our work stand on its own, and always produce high-quality content.  Either it gets traffic or it doesn't.  Anyone who cannot write that well should not be on the site. 

Also - and this probably won't sit well with many writers here - 'incentives' that are too low (such as the AP figure was and the bonus figures are) are counter-productive as a tool for attracting 'good' writers. The Internet has badly damaged the financial side of writing as a career. People in some areas are willing to write fairly long pieces for $5-$20 a pop. This is far too low, and it has diluted the overall quality of what is published, and has negatively affected our incomes. The amount of money HP could pay would be very low, and would only feed that trend. The number of hubs for which the AP incentive and/or the bonus program applies was reduced from 24 to 15 per month, because the site realized some people were churning out the maximum number of hubs just to get that small incentive, and they were not always the quality the site wanted.

And, again as Wilderness said, I'm not interested in having my revenue eroded in order to attract more writers to HP.  That's the site's job, not mine.

2. profile image0

I guess I wasn't clear about the revenue cut. I meant that *just for those hubs that went through this theoretical process* that the HP's revenue cut would be higher, say 50/50. So, it wouldn't be coming from any other hubbers' revenue.

3. profile image0

I wonder what percentage of writers who are not already top-notch actually go through the AP? I thought about applying to that, but it seemed that the slots were so limited that it wouldn't be worth waiting to get in.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HP seems to scatter the AP students all over the place by experience.  I had been here 2 years (with no other writing experience) while others just a few months. 

While I do know that some hubbers are turned down, "top notch" hardly describes the people in my class.

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

Some people are 'preferred hubbers' over others.

I guess I didn't meet the criteria.

I was not allowed onto the AP program, which I have since learnt couldn't have taught me anything I hadn't already learned, but disallowed me the promotion offered.

Promotion is always to be welcomed.

These threads, in recent days, have shown us that the promotion offered by HP is not worth a monkeys.

I am sorely disappointed for those APs who took the time and effort to write top-notch hubs, who are now finding their work unfeatured.

I hope they will spare a thought for those of us in this predicament who have also written stellar hubs that Google ignored.

We are a team, folks.

Let's remember that, because when the ship goes down, it is sink or swim,

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Izzy,
      Well, I can tell you for me personally. I enjoy reading what you write about.
      I prefer you over quite a few. You have an amazing talent. And you are a inspiration for me. I love your attitude!
      Don't worry, better days are ahead! :-)
      I am on my way over to see you now.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

"I'll have the Spam, eggs, bacon, Spam, beans, Spam, Spam, and Spam, with extra Spam!" - Monty Python.

1. profile image0

big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)