Grouping Feature

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (15 posts)
  1. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I'm trying to use the Style Box to fix my hubs. Please tell me where the "Grouping Feature" is and how to use it. I've been listing my related hubs in a text box which I learned is incorrect. I tried it with the link box but all of them wouldn't come up. Thank you.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In the edit mode, click the "display options" on the right, expanding that category.  Within it is "hub group" where you may assign the hub to your personal group of choice.

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay, will look at that, wilderness. But I thought that was for something else. Still confused. Will be back with update. Thanks.

2. heidithorne profile image93
        heidithorneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Wilderness & Janshares for the clarifying discussion on this. I didn't know what the heck they were talking about with the "Grouping feature." Have a great day!

You're welcome. You, too, heidi.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What you've been doing is just fine - keep doing it!   All the Grouping feature does is create those two links at the bottom of your Hub - where many readers won't spot it. 

As Wilderness says, you can link ONLY to Hubs which are related.   It's the same rule about "unrelated links" that applies to linking externally - just because a Hub is written by you, doesn't mean it's related!

Rats! I will do my parenting hubs using the link capsules and text capsules. I will leave the seafood hubs as is for now. This new Style Box, along with the instructions for Editor's Choice threw me off. Thanks, Marisa.

2. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I just group my seafood recipes. However, it only shows two at a time. Is this the correct way instead of using the link capsule or the text box and do hyperlinks?

Yes, it will only show two.  If you click on one of the links, the next hub in the line (that you clicked on) will show the one you left plus the next one in line and so on.  You can do a complete circle through all of them by clicking the links in turn.  If the sequence makes a difference (and it does in several of my groups) you will need to make sure they are in order in the group; they can be moved around there by using the "groups" button on the stats page.

Thank you very much for your help, wilderness. Is it still ok to use a text capsule or link capsule to highlight others? For example, I wanted to link my hub on natural seasonings and one on buying off brand foods but they aren't in the seafood category. Is that not appropriate?

It certainly is; most of my hubs that I link to (in-text links, primarily) are in the same category.  For the most part, only those hubs would be considered relevant to the hub with the link.

There is nothing wrong with linking hubs together, as long as they are relevant to the topic, just don't make the topic too broad in your own mind.  Seasonings, off brand foods and seafood are all something you put in your mouth, but is a link to an offbrand food hub really relevant information and valuable to someone reading about seafood?  Is a reader likely to be interested in it?  I try to put myself in the place of the reader - would I appreciate another hub on this narrow topic, given that I'm reading one on that topic?

I should have been more specific. One of the seafood hubs is promoted as low budget recipe to save money. So I had my hub on saving money with off brand food listed as a related hub.

Now that would make sense to me; Both are on how to cook "on the cheap", just different facets of the same thing.  If you have any others of that style, what about a link capsule with a title "Cooking on a Budget" or something similar?

Sounds good, will do, thanks.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
                  TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Janshares: I removed all of my related links from the text box and moved them into the hubs they relate to.  I also use the grouping feature.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)