Mistranslations of the word Hell in the Bible

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years ago

The words Sheol, Hades, Tartarus, and Gehenna are Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic words mistranslated to describe and fit the Christian version of Hell. These words stand for and have meanings different than that of the concept of the Christian place of 'eternal punishment'. Do you believe this was purposely done to instill fear and a 'turn or burn' mentality to gain followers? Do you think it was an innocent mistake used as/for metaphoric reasons simply to make things easier for people to relate to and understand?
    Upon stumbling across information about the mistranslation of these words it has really made me stop, think, and wonder just how much is factual and actual about the common translation of the Bible. I cannot simply ignore the original Biblical texts (Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic) or pretend that I do not know about them and now my questioning mind is curious as to how others view this topic.

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe they were wilfully mistranslated in accordance with the agenda of the Church. Even now my former pastor stated that to believe hell doesn't exist is a heresy. Clearly they never bothered to educate the students in the original meanings of Sheol, Gehenna, Tartarus and Hades in his bible college.

1. profile image0
        MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it really seems common for people to have no knowledge of it, DH. Or perhaps some, if they do have knowledge of it, don't discuss it? I was totally unaware about it until recently. I think it's pretty eye-opening.

2. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is little to no way that these could be accidental mistranslation, IMO. These places were combined and twisted in an effort to instill fear into people to either gain followers, control people by fear, or a combination of both. The unfortunate side effect of this is that it has been passed down over several years and versions and has totally changed the landscape of what message should be taught. Another sad thing is that there are a lot of Christians that will reject this information in favor of what they are familiar with because some are denial of the idea that they may have gotten it wrong for all these years

What I find almost as disturbing Deepes is the vast majority of Christians also believe the myth that satan was the beautiful chief angel aka Lucifer who wanted God's throne, so God cast him out of heaven to Earth with all his demons. Yet this story is not in the bible; it was strung together in the 2nd century by the Church linking unrelated verses, then passed down the centuries hearsay to hearsay and is now fully ingrained in superstition. Very very rarely does someone look at the Jewish or the 1st century Church interpretation.

Satan became the Church bad boy used to instil fear and control in the Church, to the same degree as fear of hell. Yet even now with the internet, access to tens of translations for free, access to information about church history, people refuse to look at alternative information in favour for what they have been told to believe.

Whilst I couldn't care less about whether or not someone accepts my opinion, I do care deeply that people prefer not to question what they have been told and investigate matters for themselves.

1. profile image0

+1

2. profile image0

I agree Deepes. Interestingly, when mentioning these mistranslations, in my experience most Christians either don't say anything or get really, really defensive, as if I'm making it up or lying about it. I even get accused of TRYING to disproved the Bible because I'm corrupted or something or other. It's as simple as a quick Google search. It's right there for all who care to see.

As always, Deepes, your honesty about this and many other touchy Christian related topics is awesome smile

I get accused of being deceived by Satan even though the information about mistranslation is plain for all to see.

1. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Many Christians think that "If you don't believe in  THIS or that INTERPRETATION of who/what God is,  you then must not believe in God at all.   And some Atheist think that if we believe in "A" God at all, we then must believe everything they think a believer is. 

Why does it have to be (in their minds) ALL or Nothing  ...  or ...  this or that  ... with no other choice?

Some people throw the word Heretic around like it is a bad thing.   Everyone questions the authority or accuracy of those other churches they do not belong to.  SOoo  what is the difference when someone questions of Church as a whole?   
            I think that is what Rev. 13 tells us all to do.  To question Church is not the same thing as questioning GOD!     

Imagine kneeling while at the beach on a moonlight night talking to God.  You can feel without looking up  that someone has come between you and the heavens, you look up and see a person.  " Tell me your problems and I will speak to him for you"  They think they know God better than you do??
            And maybe they do ... for some people.

1. profile image0

Excellently stated, Jerami.

2. profile image0

Same here, Disappearinghead. Oh well...it's their ignorance that causes them to say and do such things and speaks volumes for them personally, IMO.

2. profile image0

If my faith was determined by what others say, then I wouldn't even be a Christian. I've been told so many times that I'm not a real Christian because I actually approach Atheists with respect. I've also been accused of being demonic

Thanks for your compliments. I do appreciate them

1. profile image0

Well Deepes, I for one think that the respect that you show others, whether they are Atheist, non-Abrahamic, what have you, just proves your validity as the real deal, what Christians are supposed to represent. Those that say you are demonic or not a "real" Christian are just frustrated with the fact that they, themselves are insecure in their own faith and version of belief, IMO. Pay no heed and rock on, Deepes.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Examples, please.
      Especially ones that (if you can find them, which I doubt....) change the concept of eternal punishment or of an eternal place of fire.    There are plenty of references on this, and room for much discussion,  but I want to be clear about what it is that you're trying to say.
      Are you trying to conclude that there are a few misconceptions about those particular words or the usage of those words?
      Or are you trying to say that there is no place of punishment for unbelievers?    Please be careful with this one, 'cause there are many references for that besides just a possibly mis-defined word in some instances.

1. profile image0

http://www.godsplanforall.com/mistranslationstomeanhell
        http://www.bibleed.com/bibleteachings/o … dgrave.asp
        Here are a couple of links with information discussing this topic if you would like to view them, Brenda. I do not possess a Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic Biblical text to reference verse, chapter, etc.

I'm not trying to say anything other than this information is out there and I am asking (for simple curiosity reasons) what are people's opinion of the information. I'm not sure why you feel the need to warn me to be careful, information and discussion never hurt anyone. This is a chance for discussion about a topic that I heard about and then inquired about myself through an online search and this information was some of what I found. It is a chance for people to express their conclusions and views on the matter. I'm curious, as is my personal right to be, of what others think of a topic that caught my attention. That is all.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ok.  Thanks.

2. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 10 years ago

I’m not saying there is or isn't, but for the sake of discussion lets assume for a minute that there is an entity which we call the Devil or Satan.   If he had powers over the earth, it seems logical to me that he would first attempt to eliminate any written word of God, and when he is unable to do so, he would contaminate the word of God through mistranslation and personal interpretation.

The way I understand C.13 of the book of Rev. which was said to have been given to John in 96 AD; that at some time in his future, a religious organization, described as a beast, which rises up out of the sea will do just that.

In 30 AD. it is written that Jesus was speaking privately with Peter James John and Andrew concerning the great tribulation and “the Rapture” and his second coming …  He then goes on to say , “This generation shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled”    but no one knows exactly what day or hour.
    Interpretation of scripture has done much greater damage to scripture than a few misinterpretations.
    Jesus said that he had come to fulfill all prophesy concerning him which had, at that time, been written.
    I believe that he did come again as he said he would, that the Rapture as written in Daniel 12:1 did happen on 138 AD When the 14th emperor (Hadrian) died after totally eliminating the Nation of Israel, evacuating the entire population scattering them through out the rest of the Roman empire. 

Carrying the woman with 12 stars into the wilderness for 1260 days
    For the next 1645 years Hebrews were not allowed entrance into any of the cities in Israel and Judea.  I’ve mentioned many times why I believe 42 months or 1260 days in prophesy is equal to approx 1645 of our years.  Is this a coincidence?  Keep in mind that 1633 years ago the Roman Emperor officially decreed that the RCC was the State religion and no other faith was permitted.

So, am I surprised that confusion entered into religion through mistranslation and misinterpretation?   I would be more surprised if it hadn't because it would seem this was sanctioned through prophesy that it would happen.   That even the elect might be fooled.   
    I know nothing,  but,I don’t think anyone is going to Hell.   It would seem right if there were some kind of punishment and or rewards.   I find comfort in believing in the God of Abraham and that Jesus was the Messiah spoken of in the OT and that there is life after death.   
    But if there was a place called hell, I don't think I would go there for not having faith in any man made organization or for having faith in the wrong one.

But I could be wrong about everything. We all could be ?

1. profile image0

Very astute, Jerami!!

2. profile image0

Thanks for sharing your opinion and insight, Jerami. I've really been curious as to how other people view and feel about this topic so thanks for sharing. Like you, I'm not surprised at all that there are mistranslations as it would seem inevitable.

Naturally, since stumbling upon the mistranslations of this word, I happened across more information that certainly appears to show many more fallacies in the common translation of the Bible than I was previously aware of. This has led to more discoveries of heavily debated misunderstandings and questionable meanings of topics, people, places, etc. It seems, at this point for me anyway, there is much more to study.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me that most misinterpretations are derived from prior misinterpretations  which come from prior misinterpretations etc, etc, etc, dating back over 1650 years.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)