What are the most annoying responses Christians give to questions atheists ask?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (374 posts)
  1. Dwight Phoenix profile image70
    Dwight Phoenixposted 8 years ago

What are the most annoying responses Christians give to questions atheists ask?

I'm a christian and I think that it would be helpful in ministry, if Christians new a bit more about how atheists felt about a Christian's rebuttal

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12839784_f260.jpg

2. Titen-Sxull profile image72
    Titen-Sxullposted 8 years ago

The most annoying things are when Christians defend horrifying things in the Bible as if the fact that God is the one doing them makes them okay. Excuses about slavery, genocide, cannibalism, plagues, etc.

There seems to be an inability to admit that the Bible might be wrong when it says that God did such horrendously evil things. Surely the loving and merciful God of Christianity is not the sort of being to demand an entire group of people, including children, be slaughtered or that he should strike people down with a plague that causes their faces to rot off where they stand. Surely the more LIKELY thing is that the Bible is mistaken, yes?

Also, please stop telling atheists they are going to hell. We don't believe in hell and aren't scared of it so bringing it up does absolutely nothing.

Dwight Phoenixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good answer: I'm sorry you've been feeling that way.
      The bible specifies that god allows evil to occur for many reasons even though it's hard to swallow.
      Also, yes. A lot of Christians use hell as scare factor: I don't believe this is best.

2. Austinstar profile image85
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Defending a "god" who commits heinous acts like genocide means that you would say that his acts are acceptable. Clearly, slavery, genocide, cannibalism, plaques, child cancer, and "evil" must be apologized for - esp by Christian apologists.

3. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Y'all seem to forget that God is GOD!  He created us, He can do what He wants!  If you're not pleased with your creation, if your creation offends and disrespects you, you have the right to end them.

4. Austinstar profile image85

And we have the right to stand up to this so-called "god" and say, "HEY - killing people is WRONG - you said so yourself"!

5. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Bad things occur all the time.
      Atheists accept it as a natural lamentable dilemma.
      Christians just call this "naturalness" God's permissible will

6. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Unless an atheist takes a scientific/anthropological stance on the Old Testament then it is embarrassingly clear they are not being scientific at all but illogical and very emotive. It reveals a chip on their shoulder the size of a large log.

7. Austinstar profile image85

Great predictable comment, Oz! But since i am a scientist and an atheist, i guess i don't  have a chip on my shoulder. :-)

8. Link10103 profile image61
      Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The creator has the right to end the created in whatever way, no matter how horrendous?

I guess. Though that wouldn't stop people from calling the creator a murderer and evil

9. Titen-Sxull profile image72
      Titen-Sxullposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see the Christians here have missed the point again. That SURELY more likely than God being evil it is the stories in the Bible themselves which are faulty and fictitious. For no loving God would ever do such things.

10. Austinstar profile image85

Christians may read those stories only during Sunday school when they are children. They don't  seen to re-read them with adult comprehension. Yes, they are just stories. Really bad stories. No god would actually behave that way. Wouldn't  need to.

11. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Titen-Sxull:"For no loving God would ever do such things"

Hasn't anyone ever heard of a loving parent punishing their child? now picture god punishing a person, a family, a nation, a generation or whatever. Why is this so hard to understand?

12. Link10103 profile image61

Parents who kill or torture their children as punishment are generally regarded as murderers and psychopaths..

13. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

If there is a god and he is all knowing and etc.. that means that he is obviously in a different realm of perception. Now if there is a bird and a human, trying to let it understand global warming & finding it a better habitat. It would not get i

14. profile image0

Titen:  God is loving, but most people forget that He is JUST.  He won't tolerate sin, at all.

15. Austinstar profile image85

He tolerates sin whenever HE does it! It's no stretch for your god to murder, condone slavery, condone rape, infanticide and well, every sin in the book. You, however, must do as he says, not as he does.

16. Link10103 profile image61

So we're created in god's image, yet nothing about him is comprehensible to us. Except for the good stuff of course.

The hoops one has to jump through is endless isn't it...

17. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Guys, why can't u see that judging a god by our standard is ridiculous; picture a cat calling u the most cruel disgusting being alive because u took away its yarn. God, Any god, makes standards, not man.
      Interpreting them from our knowledg is flawed

18. Titen-Sxull profile image72

Pretty sure killing and abusing cats is wrong, you might want to pick an animal that human beings don't care about, like ants. But then God supposedly loves us more than anything so maybe comparing him to an animal abuser does work.

19. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Ur doing the same thing again my friend, the killing and abuse U r talking about is understood from our realm of perception.

Death is death for every living thing but, it's definition and perception becomes more weighty as we climb the IQ chain.

20. Austinstar profile image85

"There seems to be an inability to admit that the Bible might be wrong when it says that God did such horrendously evil things." And no one wants to accept that they worship a monster. (by the monster's own definition at that!

21. Titen-Sxull profile image72

The evil in the Bible that God does was written by people, surely the more likely thing isn't that God is evil but that the Bible is wrong. The fact that he's God and we're just measly humans would actually make it worse if anything.

22. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Austinstar: Come on we all know that god did wicked and terrible things, (they will always be terrible to us). Even the bible itself calls god terrible in many instances e.g. Psalms66:3. This is not new! So How does it discredit him/bible.

23. Link10103 profile image61

So there is no reason to thank him for anything we perceive as good right? If his actions are beyond our comprehension that is.

There's a double standard needing to be addressed that most simply don't bother with.

24. Austinstar profile image85

Then why do you believe he will put you in heaven just for worshiping his evil self? Your god LIES to you! Your bible LIES to you! You are NOT going to go live in some golden house after you die! What don't you get about that?

25. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Titen: Not bad  at least we're getting somewhere. I see what you're saying.
      Link: you might not like this but the bible says that we are to thank him for at all times for everything, both the good and the bad. "eliminating double standards"

26. Titen-Sxull profile image72

But there are parts of the Bible that can't be trusted because they show God condoning slavery or committing genocide. Some Christians seem to put the authority of the Bible above that of God, they can't see that the book is written by flawed humans

27. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Mhhhh interesting Tien: Sooo would u say that you'd believe in god or a God but not the bible?

28. Titen-Sxull profile image72

I don't believe in any gods. However I do see the appeal that a loving and good God would have if such a thing existed. I do not see the appeal of something so cruel and clearly manmade as the Abrahamic God of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

29. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Tien: Bad stuff will always happen whether there is or isn’t a god.
      Atheists accept it as a natural lamentable dilemma.
      Christians just call this "naturalness" God's permissive will. So not believing in god doesn’t change anything.Y not try it

30. Link10103 profile image61

Sigh..

So don't blame him for the bad because we can't comprehend it. Thank him for the good and the bad because we can't comprehend it, therefore none of it can be questioned.

Siiiigh....

31. Titen-Sxull profile image72

The difference is that nature is indifferent to our suffering but supposedly God is not. If you say God IS indifferent and permissive, that would fit reality better than what most Christians say but doesn't jive with a loving God who does miracles.

32. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

(LOL!)..............Well there u go link...I mean I'm human and I would be lying if i told you that this is easy to do, but hey it isn't. It takes something very hard to acquire called "faith". Sorry.....

33. Link10103 profile image61

Yes I imagine giving up logical thought and objective rationality in this one area of life would be rather difficult for some.

34. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Yes my friend it is difficult and but that's EXACTLY WHAT YOU'LL HAVE TO DO. the scripture even says the same thing u brought across "link". In fact the bible says that the foolishness of god is wiser than men: read it all here 1Cor (all of it).

35. blargablarga profile image69
      blargablargaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

L0ttia...  if y0u truly believe that it c0mpletely ethical t0 treat s0mething evily, t0rturing it, killing it, etc, just because y0u created it, please never have children.  The exact 0pp0site is true.  Y0u have a resp0nsibility t0 the life y0u creat

36. Link10103 profile image61

I could be missing context, but that sounded like a fancy way of saying even when God screws up, he's still better than us so don't question it...

37. blargablarga profile image69

Well, I think that they d0n't believe that g0d 'screws up', but that he's messing with us f0r reas0ns that we d0n't understand, in the same way that a lab rat d0esn't /understand/ why they're being infected with a disease s0 we can test a drug 0n it.

38. profile image0

God does not mess up.  We do.  Humans having children is not the same as God creating people.  God gives us children (loans them to us) for a time, but we all belong to God.  God does not need to be held to the standards He created for us, He is good

39. Link10103 profile image61

If I went and slaughtered a bunch of children for giggles, I'd be evil.

But if god say drowns a planet, its fine because he's God.

Honest question, but does faith make abandoning logic, and morality in some cases, a requirement?

40. Austinstar profile image85

Of course it's  a requirement, Link. Logically, following christ means they have to give up all their money and do nothing but feed the hungry and heal the sick. But that doesn't  happen. They must preach! Not do...

41. blargablarga profile image69

L0li is the kind 0f pers0n wh0 t0rtures sims f0r fun...  And that's a g00d example 0f why secularists d0n't want anything t0 d0 with these pe0ple.  When y0u live in the real w0rld y0u aren't /lent/ children, y0u l0ve y0ur kids and try t0 make the bes

42. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

A quick question for u guys...does anyone here understand god?

If the answer is NO, then how can u judge/standardize/analyze/criticize and etc something u don' understand?

43. Titen-Sxull profile image72

Do YOU understand God Dwight? I understand quite a few concepts of God. But a believer doesn't have to just understand a concept, they have to understand something they believe is real and is an all powerful perhaps even incomprehensible being.

44. Link10103 profile image61

You said earlier Dwight that God is supposedly in a completely different realm of perception.

Why you would bother asking that under the pretext that you do understand some context of God is questionable.

45. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa Back up my friends. hold on a bit. I never said that i understood god. Even the bible agrees with me...saying his ways are past finding out........... Romans 11:33:

46. Titen-Sxull profile image72

Well there you have it. Your religion says you cannot understand God. I am not a member of your religion nor do I think your God is a real living being that exists but I understand the concept of God put forward by the Bible and by Christians.

47. Link10103 profile image61

Then what exactly was the point behind asking the question then?

48. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Okay..if the universe in all its complex dynamism were to have a being greatr than us would we understand it? Soil--plants--animals-people-other. none of these understand each other fuly except the preceding one neither can they juj by their standard

49. Austinstar profile image85

If this being wished for us to understand the universe, he,she,it might take the time to bother to explain it. And might be able to explain it to mere mortals as well. But there is no god, so there is no explanation either. U still have no control.

50. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

LOl ur funny Austinstar....

Explain/teach a cat french/ playing the guitar...He can't because his physiological/biological/psychological and Meta-physical self and environment denies the cat. Now ask God to reveal to u what he knows. smile

51. blargablarga profile image69

DP, that is EXACTLY why the ASPCA and anti-animal cruelty laws EXIST.  S0 that we can't t0rture animals in the same way y0ur g0d t0rtures humans.  And y0u say that we d0n't kn0w his divine plan, but we did f0r J0b.  The divine plan was t0 win a bet.

52. Titen-Sxull profile image72

Okay so you think God is to humans like we are to cats... but my cat still knows I exist. My cat can't do science, human beings can. So if a God existed we should be able to find some evidence for that.

53. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

1. ur interpreting existence in a way u only know (humans)....So a cat may not perceive our existence as we perceive each others.

2. there is evidence that god exist.The trick though is that u have to first accept Christ before u can experience it

54. Titen-Sxull profile image72

As a former Bible believing "Spirit Filled" tongue-speaking Christian I always find the "you have to accept it first" line to be funny. Easily among the most annoying Christian arguments. Science deals with objective reality and practical application

55. Austinstar profile image85

If I were a god and I wanted to explain things to a cat, I'm pretty sure I could do so. Especially if I was the one that created the cat in the first place. Why won't your god explain things to you?

56. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Tinten: I figured that it would be pretty annoying saying that..Also I'm sorry to hear that ur no longer with god..
      I realize that every god conversation will always culminate with faith there's no going around it.
      Austinstar; wish i had more words

57. Austinstar profile image85

Write a hub. Use all the words you want to.

58. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

I already wrote one 10 months ago...When u asked me to I don't. know if u remember the question "Out of all the religions in the world, why is Christianity the right one?"

D problem however is, all now I haven't uploaded it for some reason

59. blargablarga profile image69

This is kinda g0ing 0ff-t0pic but a bunch 0f my hubs unpublished t00, and the vide0s in vide0 hubs aren't a thing anym0re.  Why is that a thing?  Did y0urs just disappear t00?

60. Austinstar profile image85

Hubs may be unfeatured for several reasons. Lack of traffic, spammy elements, etc. Read the help files.

61. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

I think u guys misunderstood me. I said that I personally haven't Uploaded the hub for some reason.I don't know why. But i'll try and upload it next week. Its kind long so i Was thinking of splitting it into two hubs..Idk. It's called "God is real!"

62. Link10103 profile image61

First I want to ask why you think it's plausible from the start, given what we know about childbirth and genetics.

63. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

SO u don't think that it's scientifically possible for a man and a woman who are related to have children?

The defects would even confirm the theory of our ancestors being more genetically prowess physiologically than us. sooo it's possible

64. Link10103 profile image61

Clearly they can have children. I even read somewhere you can go maybe a generation or 2 without any major risks of genetic problems. Several thousand years and 7 billion people is more than a generation though...

65. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

true:
      but: remember that they'd be less related as the numbers increase so..
      siblings-cousins-2 cousins- 3 cousins and so on and so forth..  in fact the defects thins out at 2nd cousins..

Pretty yucky though.............

66. Link10103 profile image61

It seems that would be more plausible if there weren't 7 billion people on the planet. The women would have had to birth hundreds of children.

67. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Link: I don't  get u.....how does that dispel what i was saying?

68. Link10103 profile image61

...because women still die during childbirth even with modern medicine, and that's giving birth to ONE child.

You don't see any problem with one woman giving birth to 100's of babies at minimum several thousand years ago without any modern medicine?

69. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

I think u misunderstood me.....I didn't say any of that.....
      How does natural birth and a hundred babies  factor in?

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

What I find most annoying is the belief that any Christian or Atheist has which convinces them to "change" the other person's beliefs!
    Shouting insults, quoting scriptures, or whatever at one another is a waste of time and energy unless people just love to fight.
    I suspect we're not likely to see any Christian give up their religion because of a Q&A exchange they had with an atheist on HP.
    Nor are you going to hear about a atheist who was "saved" by an exchange they had on HP. Most political and religious questions are not designed to gain insight but rather to stir the pot for a debate.
    One of the biggest misconceptions many Christians have about atheists is the belief that they serve the devil. From the atheist point of view there is no devil! They worship neither God or the Devil because neither exists for them. No point in mentioning the devil.
    Truth be told I can't imagine why a Christian would have any interest in an atheist nor an atheist having interest in a Christian regarding religious discussions. They both know where the other person stands!
    Therefore you'd think the two of them would move on to other subjects.  There is also the "all or nothing" stance some folks have. If you're not in agreement with them on (one subject) you're an idiot!
    It's one's determination to get others to "change" that causes conflict.
    Life is a (personal) journey. Live and let live.

Wow that was really good. That's a deep, holistic and mature point of view. I respect u for that.
      The battle between Christians and atheist will probably never end as long as there is a world.

2. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've viewed many discussions set up here on HP to do exactly as you say - stir the pot.  And I've rarely participated as I see them to be a complete waste of time.  Thus my comment here is brief...and yours is right on.

3. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Atheists will never stop questioning or discussing religion until religious people stop doing things based on their religious beliefs that affect other people negatively.

4. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Sorry for being late to respond but........ Thank you Hxprof.....Thank you

5. profile image0
      ValKarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In my experience most of believers have emotionality issues, and they use their fights/defences as an exteriorization of their inner conflicts. I just find it amusing to pull their leg, as I have done with a few of my own unanswerable questions.

6. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Mhhh..
      so let me hear one of those questions....

7. Link10103 profile image61

Welp, I gots a question.

How was the earth repopulated after the supposed flood.

8. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

simple incest............... (The look on your face right now smile )

9. Link10103 profile image61

Oho, even if you're joking you are still the first person I've asked to actually say that.

If nothing else, that was refreshing.

10. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So, if you are actually saying that - God obviously has a thing for it then? Cause once (Adam and Eve...Eve was a clone, so had a Y not XX, so gay sex too!) is an afterthought, twice is an obsession...but I agree...refreshing.

11. Link10103 profile image61

Remember kids, gay sex is bad, but if you want to pork your sister, Gods cool with it.

12. profile image0

Link, incest is just as bad as gay sex.  God says so in the bible.  Try again.

Okay so i figured u guys would enjoy that response  smile
      with a few people on the earth the obvious logical allowable thing to occur for the continuation of life is mating with the next female..I can't see how that's hard to understand????

14. profile image0
      PeterStipposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lolita, having a thing for older man is ok I guess. Great author Nabakov.

15. Titen-Sxull profile image72

Incest is bad? Then how did we go from Adam and Eve, two people, to 7 billion? Incest would be the only answer if you're taking the Bible literally. Genetically our species would already be extinct if the Bible was true.

16. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

tinten: I agree with u cause i take the bible literally. i'm not afraid of tackling these things...........
      Peter: "crude joke" mon

17. profile image0

Dwight Nabakov is a good writer. Anybody who calls herself Lolita Monroe has a sense of humor.
      But I do not agree that gay sex is bad. Incest is though.

18. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Well, Well, Well.....here we go smile.....So why do u want one to be right and the other to be wrong isn't that sort of unfair for the incest lovers who think the same?

19. Titen-Sxull profile image72

Just from a biological perspective incest always has a deleterious effect where procreation is involved. It increases birth defects in offspring. That's why almost all cultures frown upon it and it grosses most people out to even consider it.

20. profile image0

Well said Titen. Besides I think a father daughter sexual relationship is psychologically warped. Or a son and mother for that matter.

21. Titen-Sxull profile image72

Agreed, especially since such relationships are almost always abusive. Perhaps if it was simply consenting adults but even then the human gene pool suffers if they attempt to procreate. Such things are illegal for a reason.

22. Link10103 profile image61

Except Loli, if you take the bible literally, Incest is the only way the human population has grown past a handful of people.

Enlighten us...

23. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

This talk about incest is kinda getting creepy guys.....In anyways I'm sure any logical thinking being would know that there were fewer people in the far past and know there are nations: So there had to be closer relations that were condoned......

24. Link10103 profile image61

I feel any logically inclined person would realize it doesn't make any sense...

Then tell me how it happened

26. Link10103 profile image61

Kinda wondering why my link shot me to a different thread...

I really am tired of this character limit. Either talk to someone else about it here or make a hub/forum.

cool:
      I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for lending me their time by taking part in the Question.

I really learnt A lot guys...............

THANKS AGAIN

4. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12190793_f260.jpg

The most annoying responses that Christians give to questions Atheists ask are:
    (1) Because God ordained it as such.  Religionists are so fond of indicating that God ordained such and such a religious law or premise, never offering a deep, analytical explanation as to the logic of a religion or religious law.
    (2) We do not know what is a sin in God's eyes. Religionists are fond of the word sin.  They invented the word.  They love to make convoluted  "rationalization" in terms of moral & ethical issues.  They say something mankind really do not know what it is sin only God knows that.
    (3) We cannot question God and "His" purposes. Total passivity.
    (4)God can do anything "He" wants to do, after all, "He" is God. Another infantile "rationalization" that religionists love to utter regarding the conditions of the world.
    (5) Do not worry about being poor, God will always provide. Religionists contend that although people are poor, impoverished, & struggling, they will somehow be "provided for", even if they are completely penurious.
    (6) God made some people smarter than others. That was what my 12th grade teacher(a nun) explained as to the reason there were A students  & C students.  She indicated that was the way God made them. Go figure.
    (7) The Bible is the irrefutable book of God.  Religionists still refuse to believe that the bible was written & composed by MEN, it was not divinely written nor inspired.
    (8) Women are made to be subservient to men.  They were never meant to be leaders.  Religionists view women as second-class citizens.  They seem to have a strong animus against women, somehow blaming women for the so-called "fall" in relating to the mythical Adam & Eve.
    (9) Hell is....REAL.  Religionists seem so fond of the word hell.  They view hell as the ultimate psychological scare tactic to get people in line.  They also use hell as a manipulative task for those who they feel "have deviated" from "the path."  To get their message across, they even manufacture hell through "sightings", even "videos" & "testimonies".

1. profile image0
      Commonsensethinkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very good. Well summarised.

2. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

WOW. Very detailed. I'm definitely taking notes. I wish that I could respond to all your points. # 6 However is the odd one out.
      It's disappointing that most of those points become traditionally taught/rehearsed as opposed to seeking god for ans..

3. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for selecting my answer.

4. profile image0
      SonOfSkyrim201posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The part about women is absolutely false...among other things

5. jlpark profile image79

Skyrim - where? Lev orders that a rapist must marry his victim - not a punishment for him but for her. The Bible states that a woman shall not speak above a man or be stoned (from memory) - if u assert its false, provide some data to support.

5. Link10103 profile image61
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

Most seem to have been covered, but the one that irks me the most would probably be that atheists secretly believe in God simply because they talk about religion.

That response purposely ignores, even when mentioned multiple times, that the country a decent amount of atheists here on HP live in has a majority of Christians in it who do nothing but talk about their God left and right, who can and will given the opportunity make laws based on religious text. It also ignores that there are people who simply enjoy debating other viewpoints.

Also, The assumptions that not only do atheists secretly believe in God, but the Christian God (with no mention of the fact that an atheist doesn't believe in any gods), as well as that they just want to do whatever they want and reject (their) God, is the epitome of arrogance and closed mindedness.

Not an answer I was looking for but it's something to think about. After all you have a point. It can't be overlooked that an atheist's heated drive to rebut arguments about god may be to reaffirm/smother their wavering beliefs.

2. Link10103 profile image61

There is a difference between actively going out of one's way to shut down any talk or belief about god and being told that, and simply saying "I don't believe because it doesn't make sense/no proof" yet still being told they secretly believe.

3. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

I can see what you mean;
      A lot of them however would strongly beg to differ

4. profile image0

But Link, wouldn't you say you're rather a little arrogant by thinking you're smarter than the Christians, simply because you have "common sense" and "logical reasoning?"  Are you not a little closed minded so as not to consider the possibility?

Where have I said that I thought I was smarter than them Loli?

I also don't remember saying that God is an impossibility. I think the Christian version is a bunch of bull, but some kind of God existing certainly isnt impossible, rather than unlikely

6. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Austinstar: Okay I see that U r getting angry, that's not what we should want here. Remember that u can't just shout personal statements at me without proof  "I won't get it" .

7. profile image0

Link, you need to get to know the Christian God and not judge Him based on what others say here.  Read New Testament, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

8. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In the past many people read The New Testament, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Then they proceeded to create 38,000 different denominations of Christianity. But Im sure Link will interpret the correct meaning. Why? Because u said so.

I'm having enough trouble getting past  the illogic of Genesis' beginning, and that's before the murder and overall genocide.

10. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Granted the bible can be difficult to wrap ur head around initially...I'd advise that u study independently, seek god's guidance and then see where ur lead.

By the way Lolita I don't think i thanked u for trying to help out with Qs. Thanks sis..

11. blargablarga profile image69

It's actually n0t difficult t0 understand at all given the hist0rical c0ntext.  It's a pretty g00d read, Link.  Especially if y0u live int he US where it's a big part 0f the culture 0r if y0u like art hist0ry.  It gives y0u a l0t 0f c0ntext f0r AH.

12. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

thanks blargablarga.......hey do u play some of the most modern console games...maybe u could do some reviews on those too...?

13. blargablarga profile image69

Idk, maybe when KH3 c0mes 0ut.  Y0u kn0w, Dante's Infern0 might be a g00d game f0r this t0pic.  My y0ung'un is usually b0red by Christian symb0lism but he l0ved that game and it inspired him t0 actually /read/ the entire Divine C0medy.

14. Link10103 profile image61

Oh its not that I can't wrap my head around it, its that it literally makes no logical sense in certain areas.

On a side note, just switched my ringtone to the rock version of KH last night...

15. blargablarga profile image69

I really d0n't wanna thr0w d0wn the cast f0r that PS4...  there's n0thing else I'm g0ing t0 play 0n it.  S0ny' treading water.  I d0n't understand why it's a s0ny exclusive.  They d0n't have an exclusive c0ntract.  There's like 3KHs 0n the 3DS al0ne.

Huh good too know KH lovers : ).... "young'un" not sure what that is blarga? ( from an island smile )

Link: so which parts makes doesn't make sense. let me see if i can help u out

17. blargablarga profile image69

I'm Appalachian. In my regi0nal dialect we tend t0 run w0rds t0gether and use a l0t 0f c0ntracti0ns like yhall, aint, y0ungun meaning "y0u all" "are n0t" and "y0ung 0ne" (child) respectively. It's generally c0nsidered a l0wer class dialect.

Okay.....but no class should be consider low though...we are all one people from the same God or "unknown Complexity" which ever u like smile

19. blargablarga profile image69

A "G0d" is n0t anal0g0us t0 an "unkn0wn".  That is just factually inc0rrect.  Please st0p saying that.  This is 0ne 0f th0se times where y0u can put as many em0tic0ns as y0u want and it will still just be wr0ng.

20. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

So are u saying that it is impossible for god to be real? remember that atheist don't believe because of lack of evidence....something we don't have or know soooo are u saying that it is impossible for god to be real?

21. blargablarga profile image69

I'm saying that "I d0n't kn0w s0 G0d did it" is n0t a thing, any m0re than "I d0n't kn0w s0 aliens did it" 0r "I d0n't kn0w s0 gh0sts did it" 0r "I d0n't kn0w s0 my ancest0rs did it".  It's 0k t0 just say "I d0n't kn0w".  Y0u aren't required t0 make

So what about I don't know But god possibly did it...
      OR I don't know but possibly God allowed it.
      here's some philosophy for u:
      BECAUSE WE CAN'T PROVE EVERYTHING:
      ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE........
      IN OTHER WORDS IT'S LOGICAL TO BELIEVE IN GOD

23. blargablarga profile image69

Yes, it is.  But it is n0t /ethical/ t0 supp0rt a g0d like the 0ne in the bible.  Theref0re it is unethical t0 push that g0d and that culture, which is fucking h0rrible, 0nt0 pe0ple wh0 d0n't want it.  Y0u can believe whatever y0u want, but leave f0l

24. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Not ethical???????? how so?

please explain.........

6. Austinstar profile image85
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12840162_f260.jpg

The most annoying thing is that Christians can only support their "faith" with the one book (or the 64 book compilation that they call the one book).
    Non-Christians have millions of books on which to research, read, interpret, and study.
    By giving so much power and authority to ONE book and one book only, Christians simply do not have the references to support their religion. They want others to base their entire lives (and their possible afterlives) on this one poorly written and multi-translated book of questionable ancient history.
    All one has to do to become a non-Christian is to actually sit down and read the bible with objective eyes. It is truly a horrifying mishmash of literature, poorly supported by actual facts, and it scares the crap out of everyone that believes in it.
    I am quite sure that the only purpose the bible has is to control its followers with sticks and carrots.

Ouch.......quite direct and unmoved. Well yeah the bible is a big part of Christianity (obviously right). You're right in many analytical approaches and then some what  partial when one considers the experiences of a christian backed by the book.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!  The real purpose of the bible is to enslave one emotionally, mentally, psychologically, and even psychically.  It is a very prejudiced, fear-based book.  One would stagnate if h/she lived by it!!!!

3. profile image0

Right, but the Bible was written by men INSPIRED by the word of God.  All of the other books are just written by men.  And the Bible accurately records history.

Another Christian "apology"! If you didn't feel the need to apologize for god, atheists might take you seriously. Or not, because there is no god except in your mind. & the bible certainly does NOT record hx! Where is birth certificate for Jesus?

It's a cyclical thing gmwilliams:
      u can say that the bible Controls us, whilst in another sense one can say that it enlightens us. How will u know the difference: it's just entirely subjective and based upon what one wants to prove.

6. blargablarga profile image69

DP, 0bjective facts aren't subjective.  The bible is flat 0ut wr0ng ab0ut stuff.  Y0u can't c0ntr0l the genetic variati0n 0f sheep by having them l00k 0r n0t l00k at sticks while fucking.  Bats aren't birds.  Eating tabernacle dust w0n't cause an ab0

7. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................I don't think i get u blarga........

Ummmmmmmmm................I don't think i get u..............blarga

By the way i like your reviews on video games (sorta out of the blue)

9. blargablarga profile image69

What d0n't y0u get?  It's really difficult f0r me t0 explain things with the character limit.  I'm a bit l0ngwinded, l0l.

Okay cool:)

Thanks, btw!  I'm trying t0 get the y0ung'un int0 retr0 gaming s0 we've been playing a l0t 0f stuff t0gether.  And I think it's g00d f0r him t0 experience techn0l0gy in c0ntext.  These kids with their DLC and their 4G are s0 sp0iled.

12. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

I think u guys misunderstood me......I said that I personally haven't Uploaded the hub for some reason...I don't know why....But i'll try and upload it next week. Its kind long so i Was thinking of splitting it into two hubs....Idk..

13. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

DP, you have answered your own query:  " it's just entirely subjective and based upon what one wants to prove."  That says it all about your "beliefs" regarding the bible.

14. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Wouldn't u say the same for yourself ALAN....
      I however don;t have to worry about proving anything because, I already have my personal proof and evidence of god's existence

15. Link10103 profile image61

Personal proof is great. To each their own.

If you ever wish to go past the personal part, you'll need that evidence. Or alot of gullible people.

Shame the latter is plentiful.

ur right the latter is plentiful....

But how do u know that they're the gullible ones.....

Isn't that subjective...and what u'd want to say?

and by the way those group of gullible people have the same personal evidence..............

17. Austinstar profile image85

No two people can have the same "personal" experience, Dwight. It's only personal if just one person has the experience. Otherwise, it's  probably a mass experience, not a personal one.

What????

19. Link10103 profile image61

Gullible people don't question things in favor of staying in their comfort zone. Not that being gullible is necessarily a bad thing.

And no, they all do not have the same personal proof. There wouldn't be hundreds of sects of the religion otherwise.

I think i need to say this..
      No one in this day and age has an uninfluenced ideology.
      When u experience something, that experience has to involve someone or something....hence no concept is self-generated but foundated by external influences.

21. Austinstar profile image85

You may be right about that, Dwight - but how one PROCESSES the influencing information is personal and unique. Which is another reason that one should not quote books or others verbatim. Use the force of your mind to process experiences.

Mhhhhh.......I like that Austinstar:
      But I think I'm about to unravel something here...
      Don't u believe that that process/force of mind is also influenced (how one thinks????)

23. Titen-Sxull profile image72

All concepts are founded on external realities? Including all fictional characters? God is obviously based on human beings as we are "made in his image" when in actuality it was the other way around. God has our image and our flaws, we designed him.

Titen: I agreed with u up until the second half of ur comment

Austinstar: I'd Really want to apologize to u, I just did not see that coming.
      I ACCEPT UR BELIEF AS AN ATHEIST
      we agree to disagree (as usual)

25. profile image0

A personal experience does not proof something is true. Even a mass experience doesn't proof it. After the experience comes the interpretation. We all see a sun eclipse. Some say God is eating the sun, Others find the truth by math.

26. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

The problem U'd have though PeterStip  is that christains personal experiences have been ongoing for centuries and more...regardless of an abundance of scientific explanations

7. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

What annoys me the most is when they insist, to the point of bullying, that they have Absolute Truth.  They refuse to consider other points of view, whether it be from atheists or people from another religion like Buddhism.  When you point out discrepancies in their logic, they demand you sweep that under the rug.
    If I ran my home the way God allegedly rules the Earth, I would be considered an abusive unfit parent.  I'm not all-wise or omnipotent, but even I know better than that!  Can I create an ideal family?  No I can't.  But I have sense enough to know if I can't do something right, don't do it at all.
    P.S.  To help you with your ministry, I'd like to add that people who believe they have Absolute Truth are the most likely to join cults.  All a cult recruiter has to say is, "You almost have it right.  We're in perfect alignment with Absolute Truth; come along with us, and be part of the exclusive group that really has it right and is going to heaven."  That's what led me to join one.  It ultimately led to me leaving Christianity altogether.

Thanks Yoleen.
      Yes A lot Christians tend to choke their witnessee with the gospel.
      This though is highly attributed to Christianity being about quickly spreading the "good news"

I  also agree that their are errors in some areas of Christianity

8. Veroniquebee profile image65
    Veroniquebeeposted 8 years ago

"Uhm, well... that would be difficult to explain to an atheist."

I graduated from church school - a really good one, where they never forced religion on us, only educated us in that particular area. My catholic classmate once told me and a few others that she's getting ready for confirmation. As an atheist at the time, I was curious about what exactly that was supposed to be. All I got for an answer was some awkard sounding "ahem"s and the befomentioned words.

Believe it or not, some of us are just atheists, not complete morons.

It's refreshing hearing from someone like you Veroniquebee: someone who's felt both sides. Your answer has a lot of truth. I can see how atheist would struggle with most of what Christians express/xpln.

I'm also happy that you chose to serve god.

2. Veroniquebee profile image65
      Veroniquebeeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I didn't. I still am rather close to christianity, since it was a crucial (no pun intended, heh) part of my life and education, but I was unable to find myself in that religion. Only later, I found myself in jediism.

Jediism?????????? cool I think.....

but christian in  me says “Fear/confusion is the path to the dark side.” (from the movie u know right?)

9. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

Most responses have already been covered pretty well, but another one I might add is the refusal to entertain 'what if' scenarios. In other words, if I, as an atheist, ask the question "would you still be moral if you discovered there was no god?" a Christian might respond "You can never disprove god", which avoids the question altogether. Many of these are loaded questions from the get-go. If the Christian said 'yes, I would still be moral' it admits they don't need god to have morality. If the Christian said 'no, I would be immoral' it admits they were never really moral to begin with, they just did it out of greed for a cosmic reward.

At first, these might seem like 'gotcha' questions. Which is, I assume, the reason some Christian's refuse to answer them. But, it's my experience that an atheist can answer what-if questions about a world where god does exist. But a Christian cannot answer what-if questions about a world where no god exists. And that has put up a lot of walls in what might have otherwise been a lively philosophical debate.

Good answer
      Theoretically god may not exist, No prob debating it
      The problem however my friend is...THERE ARE TOO MANY WHAT IFs. If we were to TRY and consider most we'd be mad. What if we all had wings hidden in our backs and no one knew about it.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image86
      M. T. Dremerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, What-if questions can get out of hand. But god and religion are, themselves, what-if questions. Therefore I feel that any discussion about them is a call to entertain those and other un-testable ideas.

But M.T dreamer wouldn't you say that because a large number of persons believe in god and have similar experiences with him, god would then be a fully objectified ideology as opposed to random subjective "what-ifs"?

4. blargablarga profile image69

That w0uld be true 0nly if experiences with g0d were unified, DP.  The fact that they aren't, that they are all /subjective/, means that these experiences are n0t and cann0t be '0bjective'.  The w0rds are an0nyms.  Different religi0ns exist.

Multiple people believing in something doesn't make it true.

And with the hundreds if not thousands of different sects of Christianity alone, I would hardly call their experiences unified.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image86

People can have similar experiences, but the attribution to god is the what-if. Ten people narrowly dodge a bullet and thank a variety of gods/no gods. The bullet isn't open to interpretation. Which deity they thanked is just wild speculation.

I'm just saying that the iconic acknowledgement of god and his son are objectified among over a billion people, however there are some subjectivity as to how they operate (sadly). But even this confusion/diversity is prophesied in the scripture 2tim4

8. blargablarga profile image69

DP y0u d0 realize that Christianity literally 0nly has that many f0ll0wers because 0f a bl00dy past 0f war and gen0cide.  My pe0ple were literally given the 0pti0n 'c0nvert 0r die', s0 were milli0ns 0f pe0ple.  That d0esn't make it right.

9. M. T. Dremer profile image86

Great civilizations have come and gone that acknowledged completely different icons and religions. Popularity is not a measure of existence. If it was, Harry Potter would be real.

10. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Over a billion people do not objectify god and his son.  The "subjectify" Jesus into the image/person they want to "believe in."  He might be young and  handsome, old with beard, etc...tailored to suit the imagination.

there's something u guys are missing.It's the first time in the history of mankind any religion has ever been so dominant. there has never been a popularity contest before because globalization only recently began. Christianity is unique

12. blargablarga profile image69

Again, because 0f c0l0n0zati0n.  It's amazing h0w fast y0u c0nvert with a gun t0 y0ur head.  N0B0DY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITI0N.  ...g00d g0d I'm 0ld.

Christianity has always and will always be represented poorly by some according to the bible: What I'm however trying to bring across is the ministering nature of Christianity....seeking to reach everyone..that is UNPRECEDENTED...

14. Austinstar profile image85

Then go to the part of the world that DOESN'T HAVE Christianity and minister there! The rest of us have already heard what you have to say.

15. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Which part is that?

16. Austinstar profile image85

EXACTLY my point! There is no part of the world today that hasn't heard of Christianity, so you can stop preaching now.

Weli.....u know that actually feels like a complement to all the hard work that true man and women of god have been doing over the years......I'm sorry however austinstar that u've been annoyed to the point where u want us to stop completely.

18. blargablarga profile image69

F0r my part y0u c0uld have st0pped bef0re y0u g0t t0 the Americas.  Because, y0u kn0w, the justificati0n f0r the gen0cide.  Then there's that part that says slaves sh0uld 0bey their masters.  We c0ulda d0ne with0ut that t00.

Again..............ur blaming the bad batch of christians to judge the entire scope of christianity. What ur doing is throwing the bath water out with the baby......

20. M. T. Dremer profile image86

A religion's dominance also isn't proof of its validity. It's just proof that it's good at dominating. Technology has just made it easier to spread. If the Greeks had the internet, the same billions would believe in Zeus.

21. Link10103 profile image61

Isn't Islam on the rise, more so than Christianity at the moment?
      Dunno where I heard that, but if its true then that would mean Islam is unique right...

22. Austinstar profile image85

It's  just impossible to tell a good Christian from a bad one. It's  even harder to know a good Muslim from a bad one. I just don't trust anyone that believes in voices from the sky.

M.T: Greeks mytheology don't minister like Christianity does..
      Link: I don't know about that
      Austinstar: ur right .it is profoundly hard.
      I'd even tell u not to fully trust me. Cause no matter ho good we are we still can't trust ourselves.

10. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 8 years ago

Probably the most annoying responses that I get from Christians is when I tell them that it has been confirmed(THROUGH RIGOROUS EXPERIMENTATION/RESEARCH) that prayer does not work.  Its like as if I'm talking to little children, who just refuse to accept that there is a world outside of childish, whimsical fantasies...where Daddy can do ANYTHING....and MAGIC is REAL! Really?!
    And when I bring up the starving children in Africa, who are being prayed for, and are still dying, they resort to a complete deviation from reason, mindlessly applying blatant double standards...where God becomes no longer OMNIPOTENT/OMNISCIENT. It is quiet disturbing when believers state that God sent food to the children, but the soldiers and dictators are preventing it from getting to the starving children. Wow! What a powerless and unintelligent Deity...allowing mere humans to overpower and out think him...easily usurping HIS supreme WILL. 
    It is clear that this is a rigid program, causing the afflicted to accept anything, just in order to KEEP BELIEVING...AT ALL COST.

1. Titen-Sxull profile image72

God allows evil to trump his perfect goodness "because free will" or at least that's the excuse I always hear. God is apparently not free, because he has imposed this rule on himself that he has to let all these people suffer "because free will."

Interesting: could offer a site or pdf somewhere that i could read about this research plz.

3. Link10103 profile image61

...turning on just about any news channel shows plenty.

Just sayin

4. getitrite profile image71

Ummmm...getitrite None of ur sites had any concluding proof.
      in fact i'll quote from one site: "Researchers emphasized that their work can't address whether God exists or answers prayers made on another's behalf"

6. John Colarusso profile image80
      John Colarussoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I cant grasp the fact either that we have "free will" if your all knowing all powerful god has a plan. Isn't that kind of contradictory to the meaning of free will?

7. getitrite profile image71

Dwight, I already knew that you were going to latch on to that one morsel to give hope to your rigid illogical faith. That being said...tell me...why does God not heal amputees? Since u believe prayer works, this should be an easy question for you

Yes That's an easy one...I don't know.
      However I believe that if i prayed and god saw it fit in his supreme reasoning then he'd do it.

9. getitrite profile image71

The simplest answer is that God is imaginary, however, u seem to not be able to accept common sense, therefore u proceed to spout answers based upon FEELINGS/CONJECTURE. Really? Do u not see how this type of outright desperate evasion is annoying?

Getitrite: I hope that One day u'll be touched by god and can see all the answers for yourself because honestly ones salvation is personal and not shared or taught.

11. Austinstar profile image85

Your god has never seen fit to regrow amputated limbs. Why do you think prayer would work? Just because you "believe"? LOL, that's a good one.

12. blargablarga profile image69

DP, that line 0f th0ught is danger0us in my culture because parents are all0wed t0 withh0ld life-saving medical treatments fr0m their children because they want t0 heal them thr0ugh prayer instead.  That's n0t illegal here.  F0r s0me reas0n.

Ummm okay......You can pray for healing but healing can come from the lab itself.......It's a pity how some Christian step outside of wisdom, ignoring the passing boat and asking god for help.....This is all about inexperience and lack of wisdom

14. getitrite profile image71

Dwight, Psychological programming is the only God that u have. U cant see this, because u are the victim of this programming. Debating with believers always begins and ends with a barrage of twisted logic, special pleading, and outright dishonesty

Haven't we all be psychologically programmed????????

Isn't that called CULTURE...................

So i could say the same about u.............

Some of us are able to use independent judgement instead of cultural and societal programming. You should try it sometime.

Are there a group of people in america and around the world that have the same beleif as U?

If yes the ur belief is not independent.......u were indirectly or directly influenced...no difference there

18. Link10103 profile image61

....so no one ever in the history of forever has ever thought about something that led to the same conclusion as someone else without ever hearing about that other person's conclusion first.

Mighty small world you live in Dwight if that's the case.

19. Austinstar profile image85

It's  pretty clear to me that i am the only one in the world that holds exactly the same beliefs as me. My beliefs are my own. Others may agree or disagree on some points. It makes me unique and i am my own person. I don't  use group think.

Are u sure Austinstar????????????
      Why do u believe what u believe? Are u saying that u self invented ur beliefs without direct or indirect influence from any outside factor?

If u say NO then u've never been apart of SOCIALIZATION

21. Austinstar profile image85

Not what I said at all. I developed my own PERSONAL beliefs after years of study and using my brain. I didn't copy them from the bible. I am done trying to explain things to you now. I am unfollowing you and blocking you as much as possible. Bye!

OH...........................................................................................
      WOW...........................................
      (speechless)

23. getitrite profile image71

Dwight,
      If your conclusions were true, then I would be an Evangelical Christian, because that is the culture I was indoctrinated into. Southern Pentecostal. So now, can u be honest, and accept the fact that u lack the courage to think for yourself?

Geitrite  u were influence by some medium to not want to be a Pentecostal: same thing.

And how did u arrive at ur conclusion????

25. getitrite profile image71

Dwight, Thats simply not true. There was no media that influenced me to stop believing in nonsense. I became suspicious of religion at around the age of 9...before I even knew that there were others who felt this way. So what media are u referring?

26. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Getirite: I said medium not media...in other words anything from your surroundings that could make you think otherwise...even the ones who are trying to convert u can cause you to not want to convert

27. getitrite profile image71

MEDIA is simply the plural of MEDIUM.Thought u knew that!
      My decision was based on the fact that religious dogma makes no sense.  Reality makes sense..your beliefs dont. Why is this so hard for u to grasp? Sadly some are too weak to break the spell

28. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Well media is also a well known noun and it fits perfectly into your sentence, so it's not impossibly to make a mistake there....however I stand corrected...SO, u are saying u self materialized the concept of an atheist?

29. Link10103 profile image61

It's pretty simple to do Dwight. You can argue that get's current stage of atheism was influenced by some medium or another, but it isn't that hard to "self materialize".

30. getitrite profile image71

Dwight, I was 9, and had no idea that there was even a term  "atheist"  or that there was anyone else that felt the way I did, therefore I tried to will myself to continue believing in this nonsense...trying desperately to betray my own intellect.

31. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

U know guys....This concept of having a deep "self materialized/unscathed" ideology is even stronger with Christians. In fact it's even mentioned in the ontological arguments..Where ones natural idea of god is the very proof of his existence.

32. Titen-Sxull profile image72

No two believers believe in the same God, there are always differences in what that God is, how it thinks, the interpretation of the Bible. No believer has ever mapped their version of God to anything external in actual reality.

The only thing natural from people about the concept of God is to think if there might be a higher power to things. That's it. Once you delve into specific god's and such, that's cultural influence, far from evidence of existence.

"No two believers" isn't that generalization......and besides that's not the point I was making...I didn't even say that they believed in the same god...I just said god.

35. getitrite profile image71

Thats absurd! When your ideas of a God dont match with reality, isn't that cause to abandon those ideas? My disbelief in God actually match reality. There is no evidence for claims of God, therefore there is no reason to believe. How desperate!

36. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

My latest question should quell your doubts.

Because you can't prove something with your knowledge it doesn't make it non-existing.

and why was it absurd?

37. Titen-Sxull profile image72

It's the opposite of generalization, it is an acknowledgement that for every believer God is different. It is up to believers to show that their conception of God actually matches something that exists externally outside of their minds.

38. getitrite profile image71

If I cant prove your claims are absurd with my knowledge, I suppose u can prove it is true with YOUR knowledge..and since Im at least of average intelligence u should be able to show me HOW u KNOW. Explain this superior knowledge u possess. No BS plz

39. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Tinten: if u haven't asked every christian it's generalization.
      getitrite: How many times do I have to inform u guys that man's knowledge can't disprove or prove him. It's through divine authority backed with a pinch of biblical study comes poof.

40. getitrite profile image71

The rational position would be to remain neutral until we can examine the claims. Pretending to use some kind of special magic to comprehend things unknown is downright fraudulent, and psychologically disturbing. Sadly, INDOCTRINATION at work

blargablargaposted 8 years ago

Atheists d0n't really ask Christians questi0ns.  I live in the Bible Belt.  The pr0blem isn't that Atheists aren't getting the pr0per resp0nses, it's that atheists d0n't want t0 be pr0thelitized t0.  They want their 'self evident' right t0 freed0m 0f religi0n n0t t0 be encr0uched up0n by religi0us f0lk.  They want t0 be able t0 send their children t0 a secular sch00l with0ut having t0 w0rry ab0ut whether 0r n0t they'll see the religi0us bias that is EXTREMELY pr0minent in the US s0ciety, and even m0re pr0minent in the Bible Belt. 

Y0u try t0 raise y0ur kids t0 be g00d pe0ple, t0 respect and interact with all pe0ple 0n the c0ntent 0f their character.  And then y0u send them t0 sch00l t0 be taught by pe0ple wh0 believe that rapists sh0uld be f0rced t0 marry their victims as a f0rm 0f /punishment/, with n0 regard f0r the victim's safety, and we get things like 'm0desty dress c0des' where y0ung girls are c0nditi0ned via the sch00l system that the 0nus t0 prevent sexual assault falls 0n the victim and the rapist w0n't be pr0secuted.  We have administrati0ns teaching /little girls/ that it is their resp0nsiblity t0 prevent rape fr0m /gr0wn ass men/.  That's inexcusable and many secular gr0ups are fighting back.

The pr0blem with Christianity isn't that Atheists ask Christians questi0ns.  Atheists want t0 be left al0ne.  The issue is that Christians feel that they s0meh0w have a fundamental right, imp0sed by their g0d, t0 try t0 c0nvert pe0ple wh0 have n0 desire t0 be c0nverted, /thr0ugh any means p0ssible/.  My pe0ple were literally cut d0wn t0 5% 0f their p0pulati0n by /Christians/, wh0 believed that g0d had decreed that they had a right t0 their land, and as a result, s0ci0l0gists explain that we have a /genetic aversi0n/ t0 trusting certain pe0ple.  This isn't a cute game.  In many cases, this is life 0r death.

This is a gr0up 0f pe0ple wh0 are withh0lding life saving medicine /right n0w/ unless pe0ple c0nvert (missi0naries w0n't treat n0n-c0nverts in the S0uth African AIDS epidemic, The Red Cr0ss w0n't take in LGBT pe0ple and will let them die in the streets, etc).  Pe0ple wh0 put /child m0lest0rs in 0ur c0mmunities (priests wh0 have been c0nvicted 0f sexual assault and child m0lestati0n and cann0t practice in the United States are m0ved t0 places like Brazil and Equad0r, where they /c0ntinue t0 rape children/, unpunished.)  S0me 0f this I have seen myself, s0me 0f it I have seen in my v0lunteer w0rk as a child-rights activist.  But ALL 0f it reprehensabl

1. blargablarga profile image69

e.  Please st0p trying t0 frame this as an 'atheists hate Christians/Atheists are mean t0 me" issue.  Atheists are weary 0f Christians because Christians have been pr0ving themselves t0 be untrustw0rthy, while simultani0usly taking 0ver and destr0yin

Well....there's a lot of interesting things here most soci-political.....but U sorta lost me near the end regarding the question asked.
      Also, Some would also like to think that atheists ask questions too I have been a recipient of this many times.

3. Austinstar profile image85

I live in the south and i feel your pain. Nothing here is more annoying than a "christian". If they actually gave away their wealth, and went out in the world to help people, i might change my mind, but all they want to do is judge others.

Yeah I ran 0ut 0f space.  But I guess the bullet p0int is, secularists just want religi0us pe0ple t0 keep that shit t0 themselves.  Have all the religi0n y0u want but st0p trying t0 f0rce it in my g0vernment and 0n my kids.

5. Austinstar profile image85

Exactly! Keep religion in churches and private areas only. The rest of us live in reality.

I mean I d0n't even think it has t0 be private.  Wear y0ur cr0sses and burkas and yamakules t0 sch00l!  Experience y0ur faith in public!  But d0n't /f0rce/ 0ther pe0ple int0 it.  N0b0dy wants rand0m s0ul-rape.  It's n0t c00l.  It's a free c0untry and

7. Austinstar profile image85

At least Christians should RECOGNIZE other religions! How many news stories report how xtians attack people in burkas, yarmulkes, and atheist symbols?

8. Link10103 profile image61

Supposedly some woman beat up a (elderly?) disabled guy within an inch of his life because he said he was an atheist when she asked him, then robbed him.

He had to crawl to a hospital.

9. Austinstar profile image85

I saw that news report. There are almost daily reports of Christians killing, neglecting, or unjustly punishing their children, and punks beating up gays or people of other religions. Then there is the KKK too. I would not be a xtian for anything.

10. blargablarga profile image69

I d0 happen t0 live in an area that is particularly danger0us, as far as hate crimes g0, s0 it may c0l0r my percepti0n 0f that a bit, but I'm n0t really talking ab0ut individual pe0ple s0muchas Christian instituti0ns.  Vi0lent f0lk exist everywhere.

But us see guys that's where the problem lies....One of the core ideals of Christianity is t share it with others..Mark 16:15

12. Austinstar profile image85

Share Christianity? - like in the Inquisition? Like in the Crusades? Like forcing it on your children? Like Joel Olsteen? Like sharing the common cold? What we are trying to say is that we don't WANT it! We don't WANT to be preached to! Stop it!

Okaaaaay Austinstar.......Ur kinda freighting....but anyway I think ur having fun.
      Austinstar It's just that everyday someone new is still joining Christianity, so even though u want us to stop people are still listening and conforming.......

Why do I frighten you, Dwight? I am only saying words.

15. blargablarga profile image69

Dwight.  F0r real.  Y0u're supp0sed t0 share with pe0le wh0 WANT it.  G0d wants y0u t0 spread l0ve.  L0ve with0ut c0nsent is rape.  G0d d0esn't want y0u t0 psh0l0gically rape f0lk.  N0w make like Matt 6:6 and keep that shit t0 y0urself.

Exclamation marks scare me Austinstar smile I may be from Jamaica but I've never witnessed a crime.....Okay that's not entirely true, I just sort of just turn my head away....... (okay I don't where I'm going withe this)?

Exclamation marks scare me Austinstar smile (actually u can electronically shout all u want.....smile )
      blargablarga: So tell me how I can identify some of the people who want to listen....Help me out

18. blargablarga profile image69

If they d0n't literally ask y0u, leave them al0ne.  Y0u're in Jamaica, which is a really Christian area.  M0st pe0ple have already preyed and sang and bake-s0ld their way just as cl0se t0 the g00d l0rd as y0u have.  Mind y0ur business.

Mhhhh u have a point there....Even the gun men go to church or carry bibles, (So i've heard)...U knw America is kinda scary, I can only imagine how difficult it is for Christians to minister over there?!

20. blargablarga profile image69

Actually the vast maj0rity 0f 0ur vi0lence is fr0m Christians. The vast maj0rity 0f 0ur terr0rists are white, Christian, and male. Y0u're 7x m0re likely t0 be murdered by that pr0file than any 0ther pers0n. It's far m0re danger0us n0t t0 be Christan.

21. John Colarusso profile image80

In america most criminals are christians. I think it was phrased best in Breaking bad after Tuco killed a man and left him for dead and his henchman said not burrying him wouldn't be very christian. Most gangs are christians. And most criminals are 2

22. Austinstar profile image85

Christians have been killing other christians and those of other religions for millenia. I wonder why they have that pesky commandment for?

U know guys."people of god " have a saying among themselves. "not everybdy who calls themselv a christian is Christ-like." It's just sad how everybdy else believs that the next rapist is a christian because he said so. "by the fruits he shall knw thm

24. blargablarga profile image69

Yeah the l0gically fallacy that y0u're using there is called the "N0 True Sc0tsman".  If y0u want t0 g00gle why y0u're wr0ng.

I'm not sure i get u.............

12. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 8 years ago

I have never been impressed with what people know about Christians.  I am always shocked about what they don't know.  When you say “Christian” what type of Christian are you talking about?  Depending on the question, you could get a very different answer.  Mormons will see things different from a Roman Catholic, who will see things different from Baptist, who will see things different from Lutheran, who will see things different from a Episcopal, who will see things different from an Orthodox, who will see things different from a Pentecostal on and on.  Maybe rather than attacking Christian, open minded, liberal thinking people should attempt to understand them.  I always wonder why does no one attack Muslims in quite the same way?  Ever read what is in their holy book?  How about the Hadith? What does this say?

1. blargablarga profile image69

In general, American's tend n0t t0 "attack" Muslims because Muslims d0n't have their hands in everything.  Muslims aren't running 0ur g0vernment instituti0ns, like 0ur children's sch00ls.  Muslims d0n't have the type 0f p0wer that Christians have.

Mhhh...That's a colorful answer.....What's interesting though is that Christians tend to focus on similar topics when ministering, but when they come together there might be a discord.
      Funny video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4BXMD-gn40

3. Readmikenow profile image94
      Readmikenowposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You should be glad Muslims don't have the type of power Christians have. Ever been to a Muslim country? Saudi Arabia is a real eye opener. According to their holy book, Muslims believe in many things people on the left find shockingly horrible.

Well...  the K0ran reads really similarly t0 the Bible s0 that isn't really sh0cking.  They're b0th written t0 appeal t0 pe0ple in a c0mpletely different s0ciety with c0mpletely different m0rals.  But they're icnredibly similar t0 each 0ther.  In fac

5. Readmikenow profile image94

I can tell by your response you've read neither the Bible or the Quran and may not even know what the Hadith is or how it affects the Muslim religion. It's painfully obvious there is much you don't know.  Sorry.

I've read b0th.  I'm actually a biblical sch0lar (see my previ0us c0mment ab0ut being b0rn and  raised in the bible belt).  They're b0th Abrahamic religi0ns that use the T0rah as a base.  I'm n0t sure why y0u w0uld deny that?

7. Readmikenow profile image94

I'm sorry. You may be many things but you are not a scholar of anything. Based on your writing, word choices and how you present ideas, I'd say you maybe have a bachelor's degree. I doubt you know what it means to be a biblical scholar.  Nice try.

8. blargablarga profile image69

Yeah, isn't it weird that educated pe0ple can still have regi0nal dialects?  What an 0dd n0ti0n.

Confirming that she isn't a biblical scholar with actual questions would be more fruitful I would think.

Saying "You aren't one" doesn't do much of anything, especially since you're making it sound like you actually are one, Read. Should be easy.

10. blargablarga profile image69

I this he's c0nfusing biblical sch0larship with the0l0gical adherence.  He's thinking that because he d0esn't see me as a dev0ut Christian I can't p0ssibly have studied a piece 0f literature.  A l0t 0f Christians have s0me disdain f0r biblical sch0la

Hey blarga............It's been tickling me for a while now but....what's up with the "0"s...?

12. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm guessing his keyboard  letter "O" is unusable, so he's substituting with the ZERO. If I'm right, U can consider me an ASTUTE Scholar.  If wrong, then Mike can insult me. These threads are insane.

13. blargablarga profile image69

Paula's right. Remember grade sch00l typing class? Using the cl0sest LEET substituti0n f0r a missing key.  0n my ph0ne 0r 0ther keyb0ards I use the "0" but I'm n0t here that frequently s0 idk if I've used anything but my play c0mputer. I'm a she th0.

14. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

LOL......And of course u are a she smile

15. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oops.  Sorry girlfriend.  The pictures are tiny, especially when I don't have my "readers" on.  But I knew I was right about your Zeros!

16. blargablarga profile image69

0h I d0n't care!  I just th0ught it was funny. Plus my pic is all bleached and washed 0ut.  I was g0ing f0r kind 0f a "Wednesday Addams" thing and it instead c0mes 0ff as "white blur" :p

13. Allie Elliot profile image60
    Allie Elliotposted 8 years ago

Although I wouldn't consider myself an atheist, any response that starts with "Well, the Bible says..." when I ask a Christian a question is off-putting. Admittedly there is some good content in the Bible, but so many of the cultural beliefs and rituals practiced in the bible are unacceptable in modern-day society; so, the fact that people constantly use the Bible as an answer to all Christian faith-based questions is alarming, considering how culturally outdated it is. I hope my rambling sort of made sense..

1. Austinstar profile image85

I wholeheatedly agree. The bible has become completely outdated. It's  violent and does not keep up with our current level of knowledge. It needs to be updated if they want to continue to use it.

2. profile image0

My thoughts as well. To use the bible as an argument is an easy way out and not to think for themselves. You lay the responsibility of the argument outside yourselves.

So What other tool or wit do u think is best for a christian to use Allie?

The only tool you should be using is empathy. Empathy for your fellow humans. Common sense. Brains. Actions - be helpful to the human race, not demand that humans believe in an old book.

Well u know some Christians do that....even me every now and then. I don't always need the bible to bring something across......

DP, if y0u can't be a basic human using empathy, l0gic, and decency with0ut ev0king a deity, it's time t0 just hush. That's what y0u're n0t understanding. Y0u d0n't HAVE t0 be talking 24/7. S0metimes y0u can just hush. That's the answer. Quiet reflec

Allie: as Christians we're not expected to conform with the world but to remain outdated as u say....."stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us." 2 Thessalonians 2:15
      blargablarga: sometimes I do keep quiet, and it works

8. Allie Elliot profile image60
      Allie Elliotposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Dwight Phoenix: I don't know if you'd need any other "tool" to use for a religion to prosper... Remaining "outdated", like you say, only makes you look like an apologist for some of the crude passages in the bible (not to mention really ignorant).

14. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

I'm assuming you're meaning rational discussions and not the threats and profanity we sometimes get from some of our conservative Christian readers? The threats, of course, are the most annoying and the more specific and extreme they are, the more upsetting they are. Anything I feel I need to report to law enforcement scares the poop out of me. The profanity just makes me feel sad. I assume you weren't referring to those things, but other things barely register in comparison.

I'm annoyed by responses that are just abbreviated Bible quotes written in text speak, or, worse yet, just the chapter and verse numbers, without any words at all coming from the person in either case. A response without any words in it composed by the one responding barely even qualifies as a response.

I'm irritated when the Christian response to the mention of some Christian group of people or Christian individual who does something absolutely horrible and then attributes it to acting on their Christian religious beliefs is that the person or people involved aren't real Christians. My problem with that is that the people involved seem to genuinely believe they are Christians and you can find their justifications for murder, child abuse, criminal negligence, slavery, kidnapping, and other horrible crimes right in the Bible. Also, hey, they have free will, why can't they be real Christians if they believe in and worship Jesus and do what they genuinely believe God wants them to?

I also dislike responses that contradict responses the same person has made to other questions. For instance, an individual might say that religious laws like killing your child for drunkenness or disobedience, forcing a rape victim to marry her rapist, or keeping fiber types separated no longer apply because they're in the Old Testament. Then later on the same person will quote something anti-gay from Leviticus to answer a question asking why some Christians throw out their gay children. Any such cherry-picking is annoying.

I also dislike nastiness and personal attacks in response to any question, even if they do not include direct threats or profanity. I'm sure you'll get to see some examples in response to my answer if you give it some time.

I suppose to avoid being irritating to atheists you could just treat them as you'd wish to be treated. Be as respectful, polite, and logical as you'd want them them to be in conversation with you. Remember their right to believe what they think is real.

1. Austinstar profile image85

Another annoying thing that xtians do all the time is ASSUME that Christianity is THE 1 true religion and if you don't convert, you and your children will be going straight to hell. There is no war on Christianity, but tell that to a xtian!

2. jlpark profile image79

I particularly 'like' the 'some laws were carried over' from Lev, cause Jesus. Yet these same laws are on subjects NEVER spoken of by Jesus....try pointing that  out to those people using the 'carried over'

(LOL).Wow. Some of these were very specific. Im really glad that i asked this question. I HAD NO IDEA THAT SO MANY PEOPLE WERE ANNOYED BY CHRISTIANS. I'm sorry u've been feeling this way. But....What would u do if u knew your friend was going to die?

What any human would do - comfort the dying, help them with pain and suffering, help them with their end of life issues. Praying isn't going to help. Asking a deity to save them isn't going to help. Just be their friend so they don't feel so alone.

very good Austinstar...So what should a flock of Christians do if they believe that people are going to die a spiritual death (after life)? I'm just showing u y we share the gospel so often and sometimes even "annoy" others. We have to save U (LOL).

6. Austinstar profile image85

IDK, Dwight. What DO Christians do to comfort the dying? Mumble some "comforting" prayers? Spiritual death? What is that? Something you would have absolutely NO CONTROL over anyway! (if it existed at all).

Okay when i said spiritual death I meant...Eternal damnation...U know, "hell" .Im pretty sure ur tired to hear about it. That's what we want to save everyone from. We don' want to annoy u, instead we want to save u... sad

8. Austinstar profile image85

We don't believe in hell. We don't need to be saved. And you do not have the power to grant anyone a ticket to heaven anyway, even if it did exist, which it doesn't. You are trying to sell wishful thinking.

9. Kylyssa profile image91

What's with the assumption that we've never comforted people we love as they were dying? We're human beings and it's a common experience. What dark place does such an assumption about atheists come from?

Ouch............. I accept that I can never let u see what i see or believe. Like u said I have no power. But....Austinstar I can already see and feel ur perception about god. I mean...we're humans and we've all felt doubts.

I am an atheist. I don't  believe in a god or gods, therefore, i haven't  got your perception of your god. Is it just impossible for you to even imagine that there is no such thing as your god?

12. Kylyssa profile image91

@Dwight Do you understand that atheists don't think God is real?

Ummmm sure....It could however be argued that atheist do......However they call god something else...There is always an unknown factor in science (a why).....This is just what Christians call god

That is not even close to being true, Dwight. We don't  call ANYTHING a god or gods. There is no god or gods to us. You believe in a god. I do not. It's  just that simple. I don't  worship science either or anything else. No GOD exists. Thor either.

15. Kylyssa profile image91

There's the heart of why you can't effectively communicate with atheists, Dwight; you are incapable of understanding that we don't think God is real. Unknowns are only God to people who think God is real. Unknowns are just unknowns to everyone else.

Dwight, you are not allowed to tell people what to believe, or not believe. You can only speak for yourself.

Dwight, d0 y0u believe in Santa Clause?

---in Jamaica a fruit is called ackee...in Barbados that same fruit is called guinep.
      ---Atheists have blind spots "unknown knowledge"...this same  "unknown knowledge" is called God or God's work by Christians.

That's all I'm saying............

19. blargablarga profile image69

Unkn0wn kn0wlege has n0thing t0 d0 with g0d th0?  Like what d0es that have t0 d0 with anything?  And was that fruit a metaph0r f0r s0mething?  Just because y0u d0n't kn0w s0mething, that d0esn't make it divine.  It just makes it unkn0wn.

20. Kylyssa profile image91

@Dwight, is there anything at all that you don't think is real to help you understand the concept of not thinking something is real? You can't have a meaningful conversation about religion with an atheist if you don't know what an atheist is.

21. profile image0

One of the most spiritual things about death to me is the notion that with every breath I inhale one molecule belonged to my mothers last breath. In such a way she is a part of me. Pure science and profoundly spiritual.

Come on guys how could u not get that?
      All I'm saying is that atheist don't know everything...so if u guys were logical thinkers u'd have to accept the POSSIBILITY, POSSIBILITY of there being a diety or UNKNOWN supreme being in that grey area

N0b0dy said it wasn't a p0ssiblity.  We said we didn't care.  L0udly.  And repeatedly.  And that y0u can't F0RCE 0ther pe0ple t0 give a shit, and that we d0n't want y0ur "maybes" 0verriding pe0ple's /reality/ in 0ur laws and culture.

blargablarga: I'm very glad that u pointed that out-------"we didn't care"....i think that's a serious problem, cause if you're wrong..................wellllllllll

25. profile image0

The possibility of a deity is incredibly slim. and if she existed she couldn't care less about us and the small rock we're living on. Evidence all over the world shows it doesn't care. So why should we care about it if he existed.

26. Kylyssa profile image91

@Dwight Thanks for reminding me of this weird misconception some Christians have. It inspired me to write this: http://hubpages.com/religion-philosophy … od-is-Real Maybe you can explain why you equate God to ignorance there?

Again u guys are judging god based upon ur perceptions.....u are bound to fail there

28. Austinstar profile image85

Well, what else are you supposed to use when you judge things? Your dreams?

29. Kylyssa profile image91

No, you are telling other people what they believe. I believe you when you say you think God is real; why can't you believe me when I say that I don't? Why not be open-minded and read it before judging it so harshly?

30. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Austinstar: u can judge things within ur scope but how can u judge something u don't understand???
      Kylyssa: i believe u

31. Austinstar profile image85

Easy. I don't  "judge" things at all. I seek to understand things, not judge things. If i do not understand something, i simply study it. If i cannot understand it, i do not automatically assume it is "god". Someday, someone will understand it.

32. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

We don't just "assume" the unknown is god..Like i said already have my evidence of his existence..
      Also I liked what u said about one day science will catch up to god There's a lot i have to say there.In fact It's in the hub I want to publish soon..

Again with this perception nonsense.

Dwight, even with your personal evidence you keep talking about, how are you able to understand/anaylze it enough to come to the conclusion that it proves God when he's in a realm beyond human perception?

Perception nonsense?
      why do u think it's nonsense?

35. Link10103 profile image61

For starters, are you going to answer the question?
      It's nonsense because you brought up that it isn't possible to judge or even analyze God because hes in a realm beyond perception. And yet you keep making it sound like you are capable of doing so.

36. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

No dude

I don't and can't judge god

37. Titen-Sxull profile image72

You can't judge God. But how can you be sure, when reading the Bible, that it is an actual God they are describing and not just an invention of the authors of the Bible? You are judging a religious text, not an actual God, in that case.

38. Link10103 profile image61

...so, you're not going to answer the question?

At least you're honest about it I guess...

39. profile image0

The more science progresses the less room there is for God. The God theory does not explain the first cause. Science does. The God theory doesn't work anymore for evolution, for the sun and earth, for the universe. Science explains it far better.

40. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Titen: I understand why ur not sure, sadly the only way to get answers is to accept him as your savior
      Link: I don’t undersand what ur trying to say
      Peter: there are more believers now, more  than ever

15. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 8 years ago

Personally the most annoying to me is when people do not think for themselves.
    What I mean is this:
    You're asking a question. Let's say: Do you believe homosexuality is wrong? And suddenly someone answers this question with a bible quotation. - It's crave. Because they hide behind someone else's(the bible) opinion. It's as if I would answer the question with a quote from the Dalai Lama.
    Besides it's craven, it's also stupid. Intelligent people think for themselves and make their own arguments. You may study the bible, fine, use its philosophy in discussions, fine. I respect all that, but I have no respect for people who simply quote books to make a point. may it be the bible, de koran or zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance!

Mhhhhhhhhhhhh......so are u saying we shouldn't quote any books?

2. profile image0

When having a conversation yes. It sounds stupid.
      Same as I would say, I love vanilla ice cream because Einstein said...
      That's a stupid reason to love vanilla.

3. Austinstar profile image85

No, you shouldn't quote any books. You should understand the concepts in a book, but express those concepts in your own words. That's what he's saying Why do YOU believe gayness is wrong? not why does x_book believe that.

4. Dwight Phoenix profile image70

Peter that sounds like a false anology.....How does discussing the importance of one's soul factor in with ice cream. If you had used an example with a doctor quoting  something from Erich Segal's book then they'd compare.

5. blargablarga profile image69

Sexual preference and ice cream preferences are way m0re c0mparable than sexual 0rientati0n and disease. What d0es that even mean?

6. profile image0

Dwight  Austinstar said it correctly. A quotation of a book or person says nothin, a understanding and concept of a book does.
      I  love vanilla and I believe in God  have a lot in common. Personal taste without scientific evidence.

Their importance and category are completely different.
      I love god because d bible says to:
      (now lets compare)
      I love vanilla ice cream because Einstein (incoherent)
      I love eating health because Erich Segal's book said to (a match).

8. Austinstar profile image85

It doesn't  matter what a book says. What do YOU say? Do you love Spiderman because a book tells you to? Do you eat insects because a book says they are good for you? It's not about the book! It's  about YOU!

9. profile image0

Very coherent. Google Einstein vanilla. Google the modern bible. Pick and choose..."Einstein's first act in Princeton was to buy an ice-cream cone. He stopped at the Baltimore ice cream parlor and ordered vanilla with chocolate sprinkles"

Again........are U saying that we shouldn't listen to a book?

You READ a book. Your brain processes the information. Then You LISTEN to your brain. Why is this a difficult concept?

12. profile image0

No off course not Dwight, we should read and listen to as many books as possible. Combine the knowledge and form an opinion. That's what I promote. But I'm not a fan of blind quotation of any book.

13. Austinstar profile image85

Exactly, quote yourself, not someone else's  book when giving an opinion. When writing term papers, you need to quote the original books. But not just one book, you need 3 good reference books for credibility.

14. blargablarga profile image69

DP I assume y0u went t0 sch00l. D0 y0u remember why plagiarism is a thing?  Because it means that y0u didn't actually understand the material.  Earlier, I made 3 biblical references that y0u didn't pick up 0n and said y0u didn't understand.

I wanna respond to everything but...Give me an hour I just need to finsh and submit this Lab.....I'm in last year at college an I don't want fail anything...Just give me a sec.....

16. profile image0

Sill laughing about the Einstein vanilla connection ;-)
      It was cheating I know..
      And quoting.....
      And pick and choose....
      Just like many people use the bible to pick and choose there answers.

G00d luck 0n y0ur assignment!  Als0 I think vanilla and vanilla with t0ppings sh0uld be different ice creams.  Americ0ne Dream isn't vanilla.  Superman isn't vanilla and it's literally just vanilla with f00d c0l0ring in it.

18. profile image0

Well ...
      Einstein said.....
      Bloody ... Why am I defending Vanilla ice cream in the first place, I don't like vanilla, give me some chocolate fudge and I'm in heaven.  Punch intended..
      I'm of to bed, hope won't get any vanilla nightmares...

This is not very christian..bu I've decided to go past the deadline and give it in tomorrow there's something I'm not getting blarga.....unless u knw about viscosity...

By the way I'm lost (1000%) to the ice cream conversation..... I don't get it.

20. Austinstar profile image85

Look up the definition of analogy.

21. blargablarga profile image69

See, that's what I mean.  Y0u have t0 be able t0 understand c0ncepts t0 apply them.  Are y0u studying internal fricti0n 0r s0mething?  Try telling them g0d did it.  See h0w that g0es.

can't do that blargablarga....u know how colleges are..........What would it take for u to believe in god?

If I met a g0d I w0uld feel it rude n0t t0 believe in 0ne.  I feel like 0ther sentient beings w0uld be insulted by that. But I w0uldn't believe it was a /g0d/ f0r reas0ns that y0u've already menti0ned. I'm n0t a g0d t0 my cat.  D0 y0ur h0mew0rk.

Thank you....soooo even if some people saw god they wouldn't believe..

So why ask for evidence........................?????
      And why complain...........?

16. Alexis Cogwell profile image69
    Alexis Cogwellposted 8 years ago

All the answers are in the bible...

OR

Jesus will save you anyways... umm... thank you?

Mhh....to the point........

17. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years ago

"God moves in mysterious ways" is my favorite cop-out, like pleading the Fifth whenever an uncomfortable question is raised. Like when a tornado wipes out an elementary school crushing a class of toddlers to death while someone emerges from their basement a few blocks away and praises Jesus and the Almighty for their deliverance. Or when a tidal wave kills hundreds of thousands during Christmas holidays in 2004. Raises some fundamental questions in my view. Those toddlers weren't old enough to have earned the wrath of god, but I bet they believed in god as only children can.

Yep.......... ur pretty much right.  I can't deny that bad things happen and we feel badly about them.
      But if nature killed someone no one complains
      But if God allowed it to happen, everyone is turned off...

Why is that?

2. UnnamedHarald profile image93
      UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's sort of the crux of the matter isn't it? First of all, I wouldn't say no one complains if it's a natural disaster, but if there was an intelligence behind the disaster, well, that's got to raise additional questions.

3. blargablarga profile image69

Yeah I can't imagine y0u think n0 0ne c0mplains ab0ut natural disasters.  They L00K f0r s0me0ne t0 blame.  Wh0's the met0r0l0gist wh0 didn't warn us fast en0ugh?  Wh0's the head 0f the red cr0ss wh0 isn't getting supplies here fast en0ugh?  C0me 0n.

4. John Colarusso profile image80

It isnt just death which is natural. But does god work in mysterious ways when the corrupted take power? When there is injustice? When a murderer or rapist gets away scott free. People all say that is god working in mysterious ways? not just nature

so ur saying that regardless of who's fault it was why child die (god or nature) everybody is still going to blame one of them?.....cause if that's the case then it makes no sense to not believe in god, unless u shouldn't believe in nature too.

18. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 8 years ago

In my case, I wouldn't exactly call them "annoying" but rather "amusing". There are few of that kind maybe worth mentioning.
    The top hit of course is: "God works in the mysterious ways". That's supposed to be the universal umbrella covering every unpleasant question that you may ask them.

Another one is just as entertaining. They will defend with bare knuckles the historical/scientific authenticity of the Bible, but when you asked them some logical questions, they will say that "You are supposed to believe without questioning". How is blind believing supposed to be a surrogate for a logical discussion, that's beyond me.

Then, on  one hand they are following Jesus who is "pure love", but they will show a great intolerance, impatience, and upset, and at times treat you as an enemy, or even call you a Satan  -  just because you had a nerve to ask some obviously uncomfortable questions.

They will deny their imperfect humanness as being a major impediment of following any divine teaching, assuming a pose of someone who is "blessed with some kind of purity" just by believing. In other words, they are blind to the fact that they are acting in life just like any other human, including atheists  -  except for their preaching about their unattainable idols of heavenly perfection. I can truly sympathize with those who find as annoying this parading of their self-proclaimed superior advantages over non-believers.

Not to make this list too long, I want other commenters to mention some of their own, but I definitely want to end it up with the one which I personally find the most comical. It's their tendency to slap you with the holy book by replacing their own (nonexistent) answers with quotations from the Bible. I always get an image of two lovers not knowing what to tell each other before they take a peek in Kama Sutra.

Great response Vladimir....I however would not recommend that u jump blindly into anything...u see when ur in the world u can't understand the ordinances of god. It's best to study and seek guidance from him and someone u trust.

2. profile image0
      ValKarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Dwight...you make Bible look  like some rocket science that's hard to understand. It's actually VERY simple, and the simplicity of it is one factor that's turning people off. Universe is not explainable on that level. Just "believable".

Sooooooo.............ur saying?

Y0u menti0ning Satan reminded me 0f h0w weird it is that a l0t 0f Christians use all dem0nic names interchangeably.  But they use angelic names c0rrectly.  That's weird t0 me.  They'll call Lucipher Satan but w0n't call Micheal Gabriel.  IDK why.

I'm not sure I get what ur saying blarga aren't Michael and Gabriel different......I think that's pretty much accepted everywhere

Yes.  Satan and Lucifer are different dem0ns, but Christians use them interchangeabl, s0metimes they'll thr0w in Bealzibulb, basically any dem0ns, like all dem0ns l00k the same t0 them 0r s0meshit. But they d0n't d0 it with angels. And that's weird.

7. Titen-Sxull profile image72

In the Old Testament Satan works for God as the Accuser or Adversary who argues the sins of man before the throne of God. Christianity changed all that with their own take on Satan.

Umm actually Lucifer WAS,WAS,WAS an angel of light
      -----And now he is Satan after having fallen

9. blargablarga profile image69

Dp, that's innaccurate.  Just factually inc0rrect.  Y0u sh0uld study up 0n y0ur dem0n0l0gy.  Satan is n0t a name f0r Luci after the fall.  They're tw0 different pe0ple.

19. SolveMyMaze profile image47
    SolveMyMazeposted 8 years ago

Whilst I wouldn't say I am religious, I respect that people do have a faith and that it helps them in times of need.
    I do feel that the lessons in any religion regarding an individuals moral compass are extremely important.

However, I find it insulting that the staunch Christians (i.e. the close minded ones) feel it's necessary to belittle me for my lack of faith. I've even been told in the past that I'm going to hell for this lack of faith which is an atrocious thing to say.

Others have been less aggressive than this, but have still insinuated that I am of a lesser intelligence for not believing in God.

I liked how u started......but I can understand ur ending...I just pray hope that people don;t run from Christianity because of encounter with not so good christian..
      Good answer

20. lisavanvorst profile image62
    lisavanvorstposted 8 years ago

I feel that everyone is entitled and should be respected for their beliefs or non-belief. If a question is asked; answer with respect. I would never push my beliefs on others and expect the same. I too am a Christian, but yet I wear a rosary bracelet. I do this because my faith in God is strong and has kept me sane in a very sad, stressful life. So although I am not Catholic I respect those that are and this bracelet was given by a friend who seen I was very down. I guess you can say it brings me comfort to wear it.

Cool......CONGRATULATIONS FOR BEING THE FIRST CHRISTIAN TO RESPOND TO THE QUESTION.

2. UnnamedHarald profile image93
      UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid you've assumed much when you say Lisa is the first Christian to respond.

OH...If that's the case I'm sorry....is it u who i should be apologizing to?

21. profile image53
    Asher Kabirposted 8 years ago

A lot of atheists, nowadays, often call themselves Christians. Maybe due to the fact that they don't actually know what Christianity is about and totally unaware about the importance of having a religion.

Explain...............

22. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

The most annoying responses are usually in ignorance.
    They think because we atheists do not believe in the God they happen to worship, that we could not possibly understand the Bible, that we could not have read it, understood it, and it's the reason we're an atheist?

That when we do bring up a problem or issue pertaining to the Bible, they don't think we understand the context (often better than they do...) it was written in, and try to explain away the atrocities (I've recently learnt that this is what is termed "Christian Apologetics"...If God is good, all knowing, all powerful, and just - then he shouldn't need anyone to apologise for him...). Or hypocritically don't understand that whilst one "bad look" for the Bible (take Slavery for example) can have context that makes it look better, but they then say that the context of other verses (whose content they agree with) is the same now as it was then.

An example is when you bring up Slavery - the usual response is either "It does not condone it" (Er...clearly it does), or "It was in a different context to what we know as slavery now" - err...owning another human being isn't right whatever the context. As though the context makes it okay.

Yet, when it is brought up that the Levitical verses that they continue to use against homosexuality make complete sense in the social, historical and cultural context within which they were written (forging an existence in the desert, need to increase population...how?? Outlaw unreproductive sex), and why do all the other laws no longer apply after the arrival of Jesus but that one? That they say "ohhh, it was "carried over" - why only that one? And why did Jesus have NOTHING to say about it at all in the NT?? Or the Corinthians and Romans verses on the same issue - they ignore the blatant mistranslation (there is NO ancient Greek/Hebrew or Aramahic (sp?) word for homosexuality...but yet many a translation now has the word), all the context that goes with it (and there is a lot), yet want us as atheists to consider the context of the verses they provide?

Not understanding that as Atheists - whether your God exists or not, we don't believe in them, so stop trying to convince us.

And the biggest one?? The misconception that Atheists are inherently immoral, evil and basically only held to account by the laws of the land. Actually, most of us (granted not all) do good for goodness's sake, because we can, and we want to - not because God tells us to.

Good answer:

The bible is an important tool in Christianity. It is not alwasy used effectively but it doesn't make  it any less of an effective tool....just the user(s). Seek ur own salvation u don' have to wait for someone to tell u about god..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)