Obamacare

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Shiley profile image67
    Shileyposted 10 years ago

How has Obama care actually effected you?  For myself Nothing has changed as we are covered under my husbands medical insurance.  But I was wondering how it is affecting other people good or bad.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't bought it yet, but already know that the end result will be that I am forced to spend my limited funds (along with some of yours) to purchase insurance so that I have nothing left to pay copays and deductibles with. 

Bankruptcy from medical costs is actually more likely under this fiasco as it will now come with a couple of years of moderate costs instead of a major illness/injury.

2. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have a private policy and the premiums will be about $90 a month higher now. I haven't used the policy in years and I certainly did not need maternity coverage.

I'm seriously considering dropping it and not having any insurance as a show of support for the millions of others who cannot afford the more expensive premiums - or any premiums - and face fines because they do not have enough money. Or because they choose to feed their children rather than line the pockets of the private insurance industry.

2. profile image0
    Scott P Williamsposted 10 years ago

A friend of mine says that her rates have gone up substantially. She and her husband own their own business so that makes a huge difference. While shopping around for lower rates, she also says that it is extremely hard to pass the initial medical clearance now. Not sure if that is anything new under Obama care or not but that is what I'm hearing.

3. kerrymkrzenski profile image60
    kerrymkrzenskiposted 10 years ago

I am 23 years old, have one full time job at home depot, and always looking for extra work more extra money to pay all the bills. For the last few years, I have received low cost-income based insurance through the State of New Mexico, where I have only ever payed $3 per prescription, and nothing else, so its been very helpful since I have experienced some crazy health issues even while being so young- for example, my primary care doctor had mis-diagnosed me with Krons, which led to a Colonoscopy at the age of 19, and an Endoscopy after that, and I had to pay nothing for it. Now all of a sudden, I receive a letter in the mail from the insurance company saying that my coverage would end in January because now all of a sudden I make too much to be able to receive the income based insurance- my income from my job has not changed!! And now I am scrambling trying to figure out what I am going to do, because I take daily meds, and the insurance I could get through home depot would take 25% out of EVERY paycheck every 2 weeks just to cover the basics, not my meds. And with the site being difficult, its hard for me to find time to research, and what I've found from other insurance companies, is that's its way out of my affordability to get the coverage that I need. I understand that its good that everyone needs/ gets insurance, but its caused a little bit of a hassle for me, when I was already covered and nothing changed for me as far as how much I make. We'll see what happens I guess. Might have to get a 3rd job just to stay healthy.

4. Shiley profile image67
    Shileyposted 10 years ago

So basically it sounds like people are being asked to pay higher premiums.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

my insurance increased from $450 to 500. ouch. I pay for it myself.

1. Josak profile image59
        Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What was your insurance limit before? It's unlimited now. Unlimited insurance for 50$ more is pretty amazing for the vast majority of plans (unless your plan was one of those very few unlimited ones).

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As the odds are pretty high (1 in 50,000 maybe?) that you will actually USE that unlimited feature, $600 per year is pretty stiff.

1. Josak profile image59
            Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually the odds are much much much higher than that there was a Harvard study I am trying to find again that found it cost tens of thousands of lives yearly.

Of course now the insurance covers kids to age 26 if you have them, offers absolute protection against being kicked off your plan for getting sick, protection from laboratory charges, gives you free preventive care and has controls on rate increases from now on etc.

Also any of these you didn't have you do now with unlimited coverage:

ambulatory patient services; emergency services; hospitalization; maternity and newborn care; mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment; prescription drugs; rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices; laboratory services; preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management; and pediatric services, including oral and vision care.

There is actually a hell of a lot more with co-payments, co-insurance, and deductibles eliminated for essential services.

Seems pretty good for 50 bucks.

To be honest is goddamned amazing for $50.

2. Silverspeeder profile image60
            Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We in the UK pay an average of £2000 a year (its a different system of course) out of our income. We also have very little choice in the matter unless you are wealthy and can afford private treatment. Although the system works quite well despite all the problems.

After reading some of the US accounts I am still unsure as to what you may be covered for by your insurance, in principle we are covered for everything and everything is free at point of use, except for prescriptions which cost £7.85 per item unless you live in Scotland.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
              Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Of course national health is an anathema to the American mindset, it sounds like communism to them. Happy they are that their taxes pay for roads, parks and high school education, but healthcare too? What a silly idea?

I live in Wales and my prescriptions are free too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)