Embedding Extended Content

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)
  1. profile image53
    Uncle-Oxposted 10 years ago

Hi

(If someone from the Hubpages staff could help me with this question, I'd really appreciate it but someone with a firm knowledge of Hubpages' inner workings would be great too.)

I've just opened this Hubpages account (haven't even posted my first hub yet.) However, I'm a bit of a square when it comes to following rules and, as a result, I want to make absolutely sure of a question I have before I do something that will get my hubs unpublished or even worse, get my account terminated.

I'm planning on creating tutorials which will feature a video lesson (made by myself) and is then transcribed in the remainder of the hub with pictures etc. I have tried to watch a few videos on various hubs but I found that the Hubpages videos are not suitable for this purpose as they tend to load incredibly slowly - Some videos never even started playing at all. My download speed is pretty decent and I almost never have problems streaming videos from other sites.

I'm worried that these slow loading videos will impact extremely negatively on visitors to my tutorials and hence, my question is this: Am I allowed to put the video portion of my tutorials on my Youtube channel and then embed those videos into the appropriate hubs at the places they should go?

I understand the duplicate content policy on Hubpages and I understand the reasoning behind it but since it won't be a carbon copy but an extention of a particular hub, would this still be considered duplicate content?

Thanx in advance

1. chasmac profile image89
      chasmacposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can do that without fear of duplicate content warnings. That's what the video capsules are for - embedding videos hosted elsewhere, like Youtube, whether they're ours or someone else's.

In any case, duplicate content warnings are designed to detect duplicated text, not images or videos. I only use my own images and videos, but you see many photos on Hubs taken from Flickr and other sites, (with full permission and correct attribution). This is perfectly acceptable, and any of those images could also appear on a hundred other sites for all we know.

I assume the same applies to videos that have been made available by the owner under the appropriate licence. It certainly applies to those where the owner has enabled 'embedding' which is different from actually downloading and republishing a video as far as copyright is concerned. Anyway that's irrelevant to you as you're talking about embedding your own video.

For tutorials, I prefer to use video capsules rather than make a video hub. I can't say I've noticed any difference in loading speed, but I don't like that the video on a video hub starts playing automatically. I want the reader to read an intro first and then click to play the video when they're ready. However, having read the page that Relache linked to, I might shamelessly reconsider that as it seems there are financial benefits to be gained by making a video hub rather than using a video capsule smile

2. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 10 years ago

This page of the learning center should answer your question,

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … sh-a-Video

3. profile image53
    Uncle-Oxposted 10 years ago

Thank you for your replies guys.

relache,
    Thank you for your willingness to help. I read the hub to which you linked and I found it very informative and interesting but it dealt mostly with Hubpages hosted video except for one paragraph I could find which didn't address the concerns I had about duplicate content. The problem with Hubpages hosted videos which I mentioned in my original post, makes me hesitant to use them since the demographic to which my tutorials will cater, can sometimes be a little impatient and if a video takes too long to load or fails, they might simply close the page and look for something else. It's occurred to me that the speed problems I'm experiencieng, might be related to me being situated outside the US. However, a large part (maybe half or more) of my demographic lives outside the US as well, so that doesn't really eleviate this concern.

chasmac,
    Thank you very much for clarifying this issue for me. What you say does make a lot of sense and gives me more peace of mind to proceed. Being a long time enrolled pupil of the "rather safe than sorry school", I sometimes tend to be overly careful and when I read about the duplicate content policy, I went into prepper mode immediately tongue

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)