This morning I received an email to warn of preparing for power...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (44 posts)
  1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

outages due to storm coming. I immediately checked the Weather Channel and we are being hit with more freezing - and below freezing - temperatures, snow, rain and ice this week. Prepare to be stuck inside.

1. profile image0
      dragonflycolorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

just as an added precaution to those below freezing temperatures: let your pipes trickle a little bit so they don't burst.  then you'll have some real problems on your hands!  some people tend to forget that little tidbit and then it's too late.  stay warm in georgia from your friend in idaho.  smile

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Stay safe and warm inside. Have you got candles, matches, sterno cans for heating water and soups, flashlights, batteries, etc. ?

The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I plan to stay safe Phyllis but it will not be warm, this house is filled with holes. I have candles and matches. I never heard of sterno cans so I Googled the term when you mention that. Flashlights - yes.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Believe me, I plan on doing that. Every time I think that winter is slowly ending we (meaning the whole country) get hit with another big one. I saw this and thought that I would mention it. It is coming from the west and covering the east, from south to north.

3. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Hang in there. It seems like the bad weather will never end. The low humidity inside and bad weather outside and pending power failures discourage us. Prayers for you to keep warm and safe. Maybe you can go elsewhere if power fails. This too shall pass. Hugs. Audrey

Thanks brakel2, I am doing the best that I can.

4. BigBlue54 profile image60
    BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

We over this side of the Atlantic are sharing some of that weather. When it's finished with you it comes over here. We're not getting the snow but it is coming across as rain and we are getting the wind.

I have seen some of the news reports and I thought you were having your own Ice Age over there.

Anyway, I hope you all keep safe. I'm thinking if this rain keeps up I'm buying a canoe.

I figured that is where it was going but the snow is turning to rain over there. Today we have sleet, snow, ice (clear & black), winds. Businesses are closed and they are telling everyone to stay home. This is just where I live. I do not know how the rest of the country is doing.

I have never seen an Ice Age but we have already been hit with two Arctic Blasts and this storm has its own name - I forget what it is.

I think that I am stocked up okay on everything which I need.

1. BigBlue54 profile image60
        BigBlue54posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Last Ice Age ended about 14,000 years ago so I think it was before your time. Also the next one#s not for another 50,000 years so no worries there.

I do not know what the temperature was in the Ice Age but during the last Arctic Blast one day was 6 degrees and my heater pilot light went out. The problem was that I did not know it and it blew cold air all day. So my house temp. went down.

5. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

In the UK we have night storage heaters which work the same way. Basically it's a flat metal box which fits on the wall and and has a number of bricks in it. It uses electricity to heat the bricks during the night. The bricks slowly release the stored heat keeping your room warm during the day. The price for electricity during the night is cheaper then during the day.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My friend was telling me his home still used an old fashioned radiator and said that is what most homes use.

1. cfin profile image66
          cfinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Furnaces aren't exactly cutting edge Beth. Haha!

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Furnaces? You mean like a central heating unit?
            I don't really know what cutting edge is in radiant heat right now. lol
            Our heater broke in '09 and we have to use a gas fireplace downstairs.

I just thought it was interesting when my friend told me that.
            England is old, of course, compared to America and so of course the buildings would be older and many would still use radiators. I know many homes in the US still use them, but it still seemed somewhat novel to me (though it should have been the opposite I suppose). smile

Englands old with old buildings. Gee thanks Beth. We did look into plumbing and indoor toilets but that's that new fangled stuff you Americans use. Give me outdoor toilets and a bucket to wash in any time. big_smile

While it is true that there is not a village, town or city in the UK which doesn't have a building older then the good old US of A we do have modern heating here thanks.

Furnaces cfin. You heating your house or making steel?

I have a couple of small electric heaters and an electric radiator which all work pertty well.

Well as long as your warm that's the main thing.

I'm at here typing and it sound like the wind is trying to batter the walls down. Nice and cosy here.

Is it gusting very high there? We get high ones when it gets up to them.

It seems to have calmed down a bit now and we haven't had the rain others have. So not to bad.

6. WriterJanis profile image92
    WriterJanisposted 10 years ago

Try hard to stay warm.

7. tlpoague profile image82
    tlpoagueposted 10 years ago

I am grateful to have a wood burning stove in our home as a back up. I have used it a few times this year to cut down on the cost. If in the event that we loose power, I even learned how to cook on it. That might be something to look into if you can have one.

Probably not, for one thing it is a rental home.

8. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 10 years ago

I like this thread. Talking about the weather is so therapeutic. I live in a coastal temperate zone, so not too too cold, but stormy near the beach. This morning though we had a flash freeze which was treacherous for driving and the public transit bus crashed, haven't heard the details. Meanwhile I managed to drive to work without mishap. But if the power goes out I am without. In the meantime I have a big beam propped against my house to hold the siding on if the wind kicks up. Not great. But so far so good.

9. luvtoowrite profile image40
    luvtoowriteposted 10 years ago

I use to love winter, but after I broke my ankle, walking in the cold has become more difficult. I don't need a severe weather announcement from the news to tell me when a big storm is going to hit. My ankle does this for me... so far so good... no pain... really, it is 90% accurate.

10. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Hi The Examiner-1. Where are you? I'm snowed in here in DC, not going anywhere, anytime soon. The city is shut down. There's about 12 inches I see through the window. My car is packed in by snow on top and from the snow plow. Ugh. I love snow, being from Buffalo, NY but this is too much to shovel. Happy Snow Day to all! smile

Maybe you'll have to tunnel your way out. Watch out for polar bears. That hot chocolate sound good though. Help keep you toes warm.

11. The Examiner-1 profile image60

I am down in GA. I cannot speak for the whole state but outside my window is not that bad, 1"-2". I used to live in NJ and remember 1 year I unshoveled my mother's car about 20-30' from the street. So it was not the snowplow! Anyway that was years ago.
    Right now I am sorry for you, I hope that you are staying inside and keeping warm. Yesterday practically all businesses, stores, I think even the mail was shut down. I think it is just because they are not prepared for this snow and ice here, LOL. I do not know if I have even heard of a snow plow around here since I came.
    Keep your chin up and drink your hot chocolate. smile

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey there, hubby and I did go out to shovel and clean the cars. OMG, the snow is wet and heavy. It's raining now with more snow expected later. Freezing temps tonight will turn what's left to ice. I'm enjoying a hot green tea, maybe hot chocolate later. Be safe down there Examiner. wink

I could not tell if it was snowing now and raining later or snowing/raining at the same time or what. I know that it is wet and heavy though since I heard it sliding off of the roof last night. I was not going to shovel today since I do not have a car to worry about.
        I have green tea w/breakfast then decaf coffee, decaf black tea, hot choc....all spread out through the day. You and your husband stay safe up there too.

1. janshares profile image94
          jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile

12. Goddesspower profile image58
    Goddesspowerposted 10 years ago

I'm going to pretend I'm in the tropics later and make a fresh mango margarita. It's full on here...

Don't go outside to sunbathe, Blues a nice colour but not as a choice for skin colour. yikes

Goddesspower,
      I tried thinking about warmer weather but I still shiver from the cold weather right now.

13. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Thanks for the tip. I do not even sunbathe in warmer weather, I do not like that red color. Just the one from the rainbow. LOL

14. BigBlue54 profile image60
    BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

Someone reminded me yesterday the the UK Met Office who provide the weather forecast had said that December, January and February would have lower then average rain. I write this having just seen yet more strong winds and heavy rain forecast for today and the news channel full of stories about more flooding.

Then the people at the Met Office will tell us that they are very good at predicting the weather. yikes

We are getting the same jetstream you are but it seems that because these storms are forming over the Atlantic we are getting rain rather then snow.

Anyway, keep warm.

The way that the weather is right now I do not think that anyone or anything can predict it - not even the groundhog.

I will keep warm if you promise not to drown. big_smile

Trying my best The Examiner 1, but it came pretty close.

Think I just saw a groundhog float passed in a life jacket big_smile

1. brakel2 profile image73
          brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hang in there with your sense of humor, Examiner. I have been thinking about you and all the others in these storms. They can't go on forever. Hurry up Spring.

I think a sense of Humour is of prime importance at the moment, Brakel2. Just like flippers and a snorkel over here. big_smile

Thank you brakel2, I wish you and everyone else good luck too.
            I did not know that I had a sense of humor.

One of the reasons you came here was to learn something so now you have. smile

I guess I did.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)