...but black boys kill black boys all the time!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (95 posts)
  1. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

The relations among urban minority youth in Chicago are fierce. Often, from street to street, there is a different gang that "rules". This has been the case for a long time.
    I recently heard someone say that police brutality should not be a focus because black men murder eachother much faster than any other ethnicity.
    Will someone shed some light on why this is, and/or what may be done to stop it?

1. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

While a great many strides have been made in making education and through it social mobility a possibility, there still are many who because of conditions and social pressure are unable to attain moving up. Is it still a black/white issue where the "Man" is keeping them down? Maybe a few instances but the years and years of surviving the living conditions without a horrendous effort to escape it is still a hard task to attain. Is the answer more help? Money only seems to exasperate the situation while money is still a component of it. Without hope or direction for the young black male we shall continue to witness the violence that plagues this community.

Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Guidance should come from home, we all know. But many of these people start off as children being attended to by people who contend with forces greater than themselves. Lay-offs are a big contention. Crummy work for crummier pay... longer hours to make ends come together, and barely enough to make it through the weekend; all reasons to become dismayed.
        It's a horrible cycle that not many know how to break.
        Money does not help, without the knowledge of its best uses. (Gym shoes lining the walls... lol)

2. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Shed light on why there is race on race crime or shed light on why there is hatred and bigotry in the hearts of men? You know the answer to this, my friend. What answer are you looking for here?
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9192783_f248.jpg
      I liked this pic. a lot. It's encouraging.

Like a breath of freah air...
        I can speculate, probably accurately, the reasons for the current conditions of black on black crime. Differing perspectives are needed to check my thought pattern. I want so badly to find the magic words.
        It makes no sense. A few weeks back, a guy lost his son to gang violence. A week later, his daughter was shot on the FREEWAY... (mother of 3) and killed. And those two...not a drop in the bucket. It happens daily. Why???
        Hmmm... "why is there hatred in the heart of man?" I guess it IS a darn good question...
        For eons! wink
        But oh God! Is there a magic sentence? I'll say it...

1. Sed-me profile image79

Who did Cain kill? He killed his brother.
          Who do we get angrier at, the man across town or the man next door?
          We commit crime b/c we hate. We hate b/c we are sinners.
          We lash out when we fear whatever is closest to us.
          There is one balm for this hate and it is the same for the black man as it is for the white man.
          We must learn to love and we both believe it comes from one source.
          The world needs Jesus.

Of course I know wink Jesus is always the answer. But around here, Islam is the preference. Ya know... "any means necessary; Jihad of a different sort" sounds a lot tougher than that "weak-assed; turn the other cheek; luuuuv your enemies," Jesus. Some of them are even mad at him for being white... LOL!!!
            The love of many (has) waxed cold.

Course he isn't white, but you know that. He came to earth as a Jew, he was olive/brown skinned.
              Isn't it funny how things that are noble and good, like forgiveness etc. take so much more strength than striking someone dead ever could?

Funny indeed. It was really hard to grasp the strength one must have to do the right thing, when I was younger. My mom, who ALWAYS does the right thing, was a real pushed-over, door-mat, imho. I could not understand why/how she was so calm during a rain of insults storming down on her from various family members. She always sought a peaceful solution to whatever.
                Not many children, like me, have a "her"... I'm grateful. She taught me how to "smile big" whilst "taking it" in the rear... lol... I have found it a useful tool. smile some people really suck, sed-me.

Funny you should say that. Im stewing at the moment, trying not to lose my peace of mind with some personal situations, but Im a little far gone. I need to get off the comp. and busy myself... pray while Im at it. Thanks CG. be blessed.

Thanks Beth for the sacrifice of heart, while you go through the irregularity. I pray with you.
                    Be blessed.

2. profile image0
                Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Funny thing that is… He's not white is he can tan. Do Italians, Greeks and Jews have a different skin colour? He's black if even one of his grandparent were black.

Makes no sense to me.

I can't understand you.

1. profile image0

You said Jesus wasn't white. Jews are white as are Italians and Greeks. Why did you say he isn't white because he probably had olive skin when they are some people that we call black with lighter skin.

It's just so strange to me.

3. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Social-economics seem to be the root concern around gangs and gangbanging. Have you ever heard of gang activity in affluent neighborhoods? Is it an expression of power among groups that have been traditionally marginalized in society. We all know that wealth has replaced physical prowess as the real source of 'power' today. Marginalized people have limited access of the acceptable way to express prowess.The outlets that more affluent people have to deal with aggressive tendencies are quite different and have nothing to do with shooting each other down in the streets. Much like the days in school when black students criticized one another for 'acting white', focusing on academic achievement as a way of upward mobility, prowess and recognition, is discredited. 

I let no one off the hook, getting at the root causes of gang activity may simply be more employment opportunity, less poverty allowing one to advance his or herself  in the manner of those that live more affluent lives. Marginalized people have always had the route generally unavailable.

Both, the existence of police brutality and the underlying suicide of black men in their communities need to be focused on in equal measure. The former exacerbating the problem of the latter.

That's a lot like what I was thinking in my head. Marginalized. A big term; with big consequences for the marginalized.
        When little Joey is forced to play on the playground alone, day after day, while enduring sneers and snickers about his inability to blend in with the mockers; he eventually shows some signs of unrest.
        Is it little Joey's fault?
        Many grown men carry burdens from childhood that stunt their growth. Not many around to model. Rarely a listening ear with the skill to assist.

1. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hear you, CG, I agree with you. The example with Joey was a hopeless situation. I don't know much about Chicago, except from what I hear, I would not want to live there. What do you think that we can do within our own community to change from the culture of self-slaughter? Do we really have to be as vulnerable as this all of the time? There needs to be a change in the cultural and its values, true leaders in our community need to present alternatives as to how rise above the adversity instead of accommodating our endless victimhood. We have been through more challenging situations in America and have prevailed We must get our ducks in a row while there is still time.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
            Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Worth Repeating, I M O:
            "There needs to be a change in the cultural and its values, true leaders in our community need to present alternatives as to how rise above the adversity instead of accommodating our endless victimhood." Credence

And throwing money through welfare give-aways is not the answer and the current educational system is not the answer.
            The answer comes through Dr. Maria Montessori.
            Read Her Books, People!!! ( Secret of Childhood, and Absorbent Mind.)

Implement her methods TODAY in preschools!

PS  I am designing a curriculum called New Direction Education for the Jr. High age group… any body want to contribute or collaborate? I need a building and teachers willing to read and learn the Montessori methods and apply them for teen education, especially those who are not benefitting from traditional school settings. Montessori stresses the importance of hands on experience and activiating learning through doing and through intinsic motivation.
            Boys especially are geared for power. They need to learn how to use their whole bodies and be able to channel that power into noble activities. Awaken their inner interest and fascination with life: Real life... Of nature, of work, of accomplishment.

2. Cgenaea profile image60

Economic opportunity. If these thugs had jobs, many of them would be over the gang thing quickly. Training (because their circumstances have often found them uneducated) that leads to gainful employment, is needed.
            Just 3 generations ago, they came here, unEVERYTHING. Then their grandfathers were killed or sent away...so much for that trust fund... no family ties. No family organization. No words of wisdom on how to navigate the system here. No loving touch from mom when your back bled with raised welts and white meat.
            Now you gotta raise a kid...
            The generations have not recovered. My great grandmother lived in that era. My grandmother, Civil rights protests and marked public facilities, spit and hateful glares. Now I'm grandma age. So I guess 5 generations. However, those mindsets were passed down. Bitterness has taken root. Hopelessness sets in when your child is hanged by his neck or given away at the command of someone else. Helplessness sets in when you know a man can lynch your whole family with nary a consequence; but praise... then you teach your remaining children helplessness. Until they meet the same fates.
            I HATE THE SLAVERY CONVERSATION. but truth is truth. The chickens are home roosting (and smoking blunts). Let the chickens go to WORK. Please...

Im sorry CG. So very sorry.

PS, that was a very powerful post.

My family of origin is mixed with Irish, as many of "us" are. My peeps must've been from the "uppity" bunch. My family didn't do much talking about race, or race relations. I grew up pretty much oblivious to my supposed inferiority. I was able to grow strong and assured of my wonderfulness. wink
                Many of us do not have such rearing. Most of our parents were in the fields pissy...
                What a foundation.

4. oceansnsunsets profile image83
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Genaea smile

Any police brutality should always be a focus of any freedom loving society.

Any color of person that dies at the hand of another in these ways should be a focus. 

People to be fair, waiting for facts, and judging each case on its own details and merits, is something I think we should all focus on.

Hi oceansnsunsets!!! smile
        There is so much to consider.  I am certain that if Brown was wrong as two left shoes on Easter Sunday; the POLICE OFFICER (trained server and protector) is not FIRST rubbing on his holster as the first line of defense. They got spray, electronic shooters, back-up... these people are trained to handle situations with the least amount of force. No matter how fat and ugly the opponent may be... now two head-shots were reported. Some chest/arm shots. What did the officer have? An oozie??? If this boy is close enough to reach the petrified officer, there isn't enough time to FIRE 6shots. And get the last two into his crown. I can figure THAT within my ignorance of the "facts"(Please don't take my caps wrong. I emphasize certain words, even face to face. I'm dramatic. ♡)
        The officer was mad. He snatched the law, and put it into his pocket.
        NO arrest of the companion who JUST ATTACKED A POLICE OFFICER??? I think someone asserted that it was "explained" but bump that... Police officers definitely arrest their attackers. No bout a doubt it...

1. oceansnsunsets profile image83
          oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have defended that young man, to the point that some were upset with me, and thought I was crazy.  I also am very close to this whole thing.  Its absolutely heartbreaking, and a tragedy all around.  I have since heard more evidence brought out, Its a very tough issue, and I hate that so much has come since it all started.

I am still waiting on all the facts, but my gut instinct went the way yours did/does....he didn't even have a gun, and is dead...  that seems so wrong on so many levels. How can anyone's heart now go out to Brown's family. sad   I felt the tension strong where I am, it isn't fun.  Its almost hard to even know what to say.

Totally understandable. It's a tough situation.
            For me, there is no way to say that the officer acted within our laws. His job is protection. Not vigilance; not hate; not opinion. No justified reason.
            Six shots take 5 seconds or so??? He's got time to grab the aerosol can, or the shock treatment (cops LOVE those things, ask Rodney).

2. Cgenaea profile image60

Oh! And imho, many black people cannot distinguish a Jew from a white man. They are all the same, deep-hood.

That's interesting. At the core, we're all the same. Same needs etc. But on the outside, we're all just varying shades of color, light to dark.. all loved the same. It's a shame we don't grasp that.

Yes.

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 9 years ago

I think the issue isn't about color so much as about race. There are Caucasian races (white) African races (black) and Semitic races (Jews/Middle Eastern). I'm sure there are a gazillion in-betweens. For example someone of Caribbean descent may be both African and Hispanic, but their skin tone just looks "black." 50% of my ethnic heritage is Italian. I am paler than pale and burn red as a lobster in the sun. My hair is naturally blond. My father had dark olive skin and black hair till it turned silver grey. You don't always recognize a person's race by their coloring. The average "white" person is Caucasian. Jesus was Semitic...so he wasn't white.

1. profile image0

So Caucasians are white people. While Semitic people are people who speak specific languages, so how are they not white people? Are they not white because they don't speak a European language? Can you tell the difference between the people that speak the Semitic languages and those of southern Italy, Greece or southern Spain?

How do we define a white person? How do we define a black person?

One of my kids has a girl friend from Sri Lanka. Her skin is just about as dark as skin gets, is she black?

You could always be incredibly offensive and ask her that. Or you could just accept that ppl from different origins have different skin colors and be done with it. Why do you like creating, as Emile said, mountains out of molehills?

1. profile image0

These are just question I have Beth. I'm not trying to cause anyone harm and I'm not insulting anyone. Our terms are odd and irrelevant today. Black and white mean nothing. Of African decent, of European decent, East Asian, South Asian. Those things make sense.

I have a friend from way way back who is half Japanese and half German. Do we need to pick a colour for him. We were camping once when we were in our early 20's when a kid walk up to us from across the road and asked if he was an Indian. He actually looks native American. Do we really need to classify him? Is he white or is he Asian?

I'm just asking questions Beth. You guys from the south are a little different then us up here, and so I have these questions.

You just classified me as one of those "guys from the south." I was born in California, lived 6 years in CT, and 14 in AZ before moving to the south.

What do you mean "classified by color?" You mean like the government does when it asks us to check a box? We are even further classified by our blood types. What is your stance? Is it that we should only judge ppl by their content? Well yes, that would be the ideal, wouldn't it? However, my African American friends talk about color all the time... they talk about being brown skinned and how the color of their skin affects their treatment. So is it the fact that some ppl are white, some are olive, some are light brown and some are dark brown that bothers you? Or is it that some ppl receive bigoted treatment b/c of the color of their skin. Your point is lost on me.

1. profile image0

LOL. Do you guys have an olive skinned box to check off?

Beth, I'm talking about classifying people by the colour of their skin. It seems meaningless to me. We have Europeans with darker skin than Africans which makes skin tone irrelevant.

Sorry you are not understanding, I'm trying to be as clear as I possibly can. Perhaps communicating isn't my strong suite, however my job is in the communication field.

I'm trying to say white and black are rather irrelevant descriptions of people. Perhaps we should stop using them. Kathryn got me right away as did Mo, I hope...

Read my post above.

2. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I see your point.  smile It's not something I completely understand. For identification purposes on government forms, for example, there is a "White-Hispanic" option, and a "White-Non Hispanic" which leads me to believe that "Hispanic" is a racial identifier...white just refers to appearance? A friend in Jamaica says that black only refers to the color of a person's skin and denotes nothing at all about their ethnic or racial origin. What I was trying to say is that we often simplify humanity into simply white or black and there is just way more to it than that. smile

1. profile image0

Up here we have no boxes on government forms. We use the term of mixed race when describing someone. Eventually we will all be of mixed race. I'm very cool with that.

1. profile image0

Me too. As a joke, I often check the box that says "other." I just generally don't think it's an important question, unless it's for specific medical purposes.

Color is not important... unless you are affected by your color. That was the point of this thread. Race on race violence. Ppl not being able to get jobs b/c of their color. The point of the conversation was not, "Are there any un-bigoted white ppl left in the world?" It was, "Why is there race on race violence?"

1. profile image0

Yes. I apologize for going off topic but I was really just addressing the distinctions of color v. race. I have very specific thoughts and opinions about the OP, and I think I've discussed them with Genaea in the past. That's why I didn't address them. Believe me, on many occasions in my life, especially over the past 19 months I have been personally affected by color. It's not something I take lightly. My personal opinion, however, is that it should not matter. Whether a white man kills a black man or a black woman kills a white man or a person from Chicago kills a person from North Carolina - NOTHING matters except that a human being has lost their life. All the muss and fuss about why will NEVER make it right.

Right again... how do you do that so OFTEN??? wink

1. profile image0

I wish I knew...lol smile

2. profile image0

This is not a race problem so much as it is a cultural problem in my VHO.

I say a bit of both. See, race put him against the wall; culture kept him there (no idea how to wrangle free). Some just don't got it, Sweetheart. smile

4. Cgenaea profile image60

I'm coming upon my 47th hour... gotta be up at 5:30a #@$!@!!! Must sleep or bust.
    Good night. smile I pray to speak to each of you again, tomorrow.

1. profile image0

Sleep, woman! Rest well. smile

5. Cgenaea profile image60

Good point Rad. I bet there are some who feel like the annihilation of the black man is a good thing. Even they who have forgotten their own shade..

1. profile image0

And there are some who would like the annihilation of the white man. It's sad really.

Correct. We've nurtured this hateful undercurrent and every now and then, Rodney King (now dead) springs up.

I cannot remember and please help if you know. Has there ever been an uprising because of the maltreatment of whites by blacks? My mentors all said, "Black people don't have the power it takes to act out racism to any effect."
        I remember a stink when the "glove didn't fit," and Johnny told them they must acquit because of it. But nothing like a riot, right?

1. profile image0

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc … on/308736/

Nat Turner's Insurrection
          An account of America's bloodiest slave revolt, and its repercussions.

Thrilling, yet heart-breaking.
            They only wanted freedom. It was asking too much.
            Their children still fight. Not for freedom, (for it is said that they have it) but for justice...
            It's been a long time now.
            Longer jail sentences.
            Not much opportunity for gainful employment.
            Sub-par education.
            Taxation without representation.
            Barred from settling in "certain zones" no matter HOW much money you have.
            Etc...
            Change is imminent. Better/worse still pending.

2. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Uprising.  What would you call what is happening in Ferguson?  Of course, no one knows whether any black man was mistreated by a white man, but it doesn't seem to matter, either.

What is happening in Ferguson is an uprising because the black guy is dead. At the hands of a cop. Again.
            In light of the current uprising; my question was regarding uprise because whites were mistreated. I got the Nat Turner thing.
            But that was a long time ago... and ALL HELL broke loose then. Not just a few tv's stolen and some broken glass.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)