Advice on moving blog posts from Blogger

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Lionrhod profile image78
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

A few years ago I started a blog on Blogger. Basically a bunch of articles on the how-to of writing. Eventually, because I got busy with other stuff going on in my life, that site fell a bit by the wayside.

I didn't do a terribly good job of marketing that blog (I stink at social media, though I'm getting better) and it never had nearly the kind of traffic I would have liked to see.

THEN I learned that Blogger considers anything you write on their site to be THEIR property. Yet another reason to discontinue that blog.

I'd been planning on moving those articles to Squidoo, and now I'd like to move them to HP.

The question: are there good reasons why I shouldn't do that?

As I understand the process, I should

1) Get screenshots of original publish dates in case duplicate content issues ever become a problem, with someone stealing my pages.

2) Take down the page.

3) Ask Google to de-index the page.

4) Only publish the page when it's been de-indexed.

Anything else I need to know or do?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Firstly - do you have an Adsense account yet?  If not, use that blog to apply, because it has the "age" that your new Hub account doesn't, so you will get approved faster.

Copy the content to HubPages before you take down the page, and leave the Hubs unpublished - as you may have found with Squidoo, it's handy to have the original available while you create the Hub.

I never bother asking Google to de-index. it's extra work and I usually have lots of other things to get on with! I find it easier just to leave the Hubs unpublished for a couple of weeks.  By that time, they've de-indexed all by themselves.

Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Awesomely enough, (and to my surprise, since I forgot about it) I already had an AdSense account. Yup! Utilized and linked with my Hub account.

Other than that, your plan pretty much matches what I figured out, other than the de-indexing. Will just a couple weeks do it? LOL I've got wayback machine stuff on my early websites going about two decades, so I am a bit sensitive to "duplicate" content. I'm scared that some of my duplicate content could just be memories of websites I've had in the past that for some reason (many times just not affording the monthly or yearly payments) have crashed and burned in the past.

Then there are those rats who've duplicated my content. I'll never forget the time when after copying my original poem, the webmistress had the gall to suggest I didn't know what I was talking about and that my subject (which I'd spent years researching) was a fluke.

1. NateB11 profile image89
          NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have a feeling you already know this, but I'm going to go ahead and say it just in case: You can deindex your articles/posts through Google Webmaster Tools. It deindexes, at the latest, by the next day. You have to have your site(s) connected to webmaster tools. Like I said, you probably know all that, looks like you've been doing this thing awhile.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Wayback machine is irrelevant to the duplicate content issue.  Neither Google nor HubPages checks it as part of their dupe content procedures. 

Asking Google to de-index does NOT affect any content in the Wayback machine, that stays regardless.

And yes, I've found two weeks has always been enough in the past.

2. jeffryv profile image63
      jeffryvposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To quote Google's TOS

"You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours."

Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'll have to hunt down where I found the particular info that bothered me. (It was something I came across about two years ago so I'm not sure where exactly I found it.) While they DO say that, they also basically say that they have the right to syndicate it and so forth.

It was actually easier to find than I thought:

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)