"First hint of 'life after death' in biggest ever scientific study"

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (51 posts)
  1. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 9 years ago

"In all our academies we attempt far too much. ... In earlier times lectures were delivered upon chemistry and botany as branches of medicine, and the medical student learned enough of them. Now, however, chemistry and botany are become sciences of themselves, incapable of comprehension by a hasty survey, and each demanding the study of a whole life, yet we expect the medical student to understand them. He who is prudent, accordingly declines all distracting claims upon his time, and limits himself to a single branch and becomes expert in one thing. In all times it is only individuals that have advanced science, not the age."

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11932815_f520.jpg

"Death is a depressingly inevitable consequence of life, but now scientists believe they may have found some light at the end of the tunnel. The largest ever medical study into near-death and out-of-body experiences has discovered that some awareness may continue even after the brain has shut down completely. It is a controversial subject which has, until recently, been treated with widespread skepticism.

But scientists at the University of Southampton have spent four years examining more than 2,000 people who suffered cardiac arrests at 15 hospitals in the UK, US and Austria. And they found that nearly 40 per cent of people who survived described some kind of ‘awareness’ during the time when they were clinically dead before their hearts were restarted.

One man even recalled leaving his body entirely and watching his resuscitation from the corner of the room. Despite being unconscious and ‘dead’ for three minutes, the 57-year-old social worker from Southampton, recounted the actions of the nursing staff in detail and described the sound of the machines. “We know the brain can’t function when the heart has stopped beating,” said Dr Sam Parnia, a former research fellow at Southampton University, now at the State University of New York, who led the study."

“But in this case, conscious awareness appears to have continued for up to three minutes into the period when the heart wasn’t beating, even though the brain typically shuts down within 20-30 seconds after the heart has stopped."

“The man described everything that had happened in the room, but importantly, he heard two bleeps from a machine that makes a noise at three minute intervals. So we could time how long the experienced lasted for."

“He seemed very credible and everything that he said had happened to him had actually happened.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie … study.html

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One good thing about facts: You can't refute them.   Of course, others will refute the story itself.
      (I don't.)

1. Righteous Atheist profile image58
        Righteous Atheistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ooooh facts! I like facts - what are are the facts?

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That the brain can and does operate for a short period without a heartbeat.  Either that or doctors all over the world are bringing dead people back to the living, something only a god can do.

big_smile I was hoping Katherine could enlighten me. wink

“The man described everything that had happened in the room, but importantly, he heard two bleeps from a machine that makes a noise at three minute intervals. So we could time how long the experienced lasted for."
              The man had been unconscious and without a heartbeat.  UNCONSCIOUS physically, but not spiritually.

What is your explanation? Do unconscious people perceive stuff with any of their five senses?

That is the facts huh? OK. Well - I can't argue with that proven fact. Out of 2,000 people, one said they saw what went on in the room for 3 minutes. What do you make out of that fact?

2. wilderness profile image95

They sure do.  Talk to any medical professional about talking to a person in a coma.  Or to surgeons about people put under that still feel pain.  Or to nearly everyone about hearing things while asleep (once woke in a cold sweat, aware that the smoke alarm had been "beeping" periodically for several minutes).

-well, there you go! 

(I still prefer to believe there is life after death and endless opportunity to rejoin the ocean of spirit. PMC)

1. wilderness profile image95

Well, yes.  Believing such a thing gives much comfort; it guarantees eternal life (although I view that as the worst thing that could happen).  As long as we don't require a link to reality, and accept our preference in lieu or actual evidence, beliefs can often do that.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No link to the actual study, just an article that says people for a few minutes after the heart stops experience things.

Okay.

One telling study put lit up phrases when the patience lying on the table couldn't see them, many patients say they left their bodies but not one relaid the phrase.

More false hope.

Not all have the ability to retain consciousness after the heart and brain shut down… or maybe the brain does keep working … but he was seemingly/apparently unconscious.  Are people who are un conscious actually conscious?
          They did not claim to be sure:
        “We just don’t know what is going on. We are still very much in the dark about what happens when you die and hopefully this study will help shine a scientific lens onto that.”

2. Righteous Atheist profile image58

There doesn't seem to have been an actual study. 2,000 people?

"Of 2060 cardiac arrest patients studied, 330 survived and of 140 surveyed, 39 per cent said they had experienced some kind of awareness while being resuscitated.
        Although many could not recall specific details, some themes emerged. One in five said they had felt an unusual sense of peacefulness while nearly one third said time had slowed down or speeded up."

Dear me. sad Wonder what the 1,730 dead ones "experienced" lol

1. profile image0

So 8.5% of the survivors thought they experienced something and one guys said he saw them giving him CPR and paddling him. And that just what they are telling us because I see no link to any study. Do we trust the 91.5% or the 8.5%?

Anyhow, I had a dream last night that Allah placed his hand on my shoulder so I'm going with him.

Allah, says the dead ones are sitting and listening to stories with Jesus. They get a break in 4 billion years.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

The possibility exists that there is life after death.
    If you do not want to believe in such a possibility, that is fine.

Right?

No one is forcing anything here.

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What did you expect, really?

2. profile image0

How exactly is there a possibility? Show me how the brains function that causes consciousness can suddenly transform to something else that needs no body or electricity? Consciousness is completely dependent on the brain, when the brian is injured or put unconscious with medication consciousness no longer exists. There are even times during deep sleep when we are completely unconscious.

So show me how it's possible.

God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There YOU have a fantastic belief system.

1. profile image0

Yes, It's fantastic to understand reality.

The way that YOU understand.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Here is a true story:
    Last week, I was subbing for PE and after one of the classes, a group of girls, about 10 years old, came up to me and asked me what I thought about the end of the world. "How do you feel about the world ending?"  They held up a fist as though it was a microphone and they were interviewing me. It very cute.

For some reason I blurted out, "The sooner the better…!" They said..  "You want us to die??" I had said it to be funny. And I just laughed. They did not find it humorous in the least! They ran away and never looked at me again. I felt terrible. Just terrible.
    What should I have said?
    "The world is not ending so lets not worry about it!"
    ( What are the kids today thinking about the world?
    If the world is ending where are they going? They may have some serious concerns!)

A very interesting perspective. Children can make us understand the nature of a 'consciousness' being immediately detached from 'God'.

1. profile image0

Where did that come from? The kids only asked if the end of the world was coming.

It didn't come from the kids.

1. profile image0

"I was subbing for PE and after one of the classes, a group of girls, about 10 years old, came up to me and asked me what I thought about the end of the world."

Seriously, are you okay.

"Where did that come from?"

1. profile image0

Maybe, Kathryn will help us out by telling us if she edited her post.

2. profile image0

Kathryn has not yet responded. Perhaps she is subbing and scaring again. Poor kids "Miss, when do you think the world will end, we're afraid". Kathryn "SOOOON, my little sweets". If parents complain she can almost say it was in the spirit of halloween.

It was pleasing to experience your range for these sorts of imaginations.

2. Jomine Jose profile image70
              Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess that fellow is an alter ego of Ozinato, too many spam/spurious threads in a matter of days.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

You are right. I should have said, "a group of ten year old girls." Thanks for pointing put my grammatical flub, Rad Man.

1. profile image0

No, sorry. You missed the point. I wasn't pointing grammatical error out because I didn't see any and I don't care. The Point was GS said he thought someone else asked the question so I told him girls did. Then he asked where did that come from.

Did you edit that post?

1. janesix profile image60
                  janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, she did edit that post. Not surprising, she does it all the time.

(- my editing it is why Janesix cannot stand my guts. lol)

No, and I understood his comment just fine.

"Children can make us understand the nature of a 'consciousness' being immediately detached from 'God'."
                  "It was not from the kids."

-no, it was the influence of the news and the media/movies and their parents and the internet and… bla bla bla all around them…  the kids should not have such doubts about life. It is really sad. I wish I could have said:
                  "...looking at your happy faces, I think the future will be just fine," or something like that! 
                  But, they held up a microphone!

1. profile image0

This end of the world stuff is from you religious folks. Would you like me to quote from the bible the descriptions of the horrors of the end of the world? How about the countless people in these forms who bring it up all the time. Show me where the media has talked about the end of the world? Climate change is not the end of the world.

"It didn't come from the kids."
            - exactly.

Remember when no one had to tell us (kids) not to worry and to just be happy? The end of the world was not in our minds in the least. Except for air raid drills and hiding under our desks at school… but who knew what the heck that was about?

I am thinking you should never be placed in a position of authority over ten year old children. sad

It's rather advisable to hand them over to educated atheists.

1. profile image0

Just people who understand that we are living in a secular society, and you don't bring up your religious beliefs and scare a bunch of children.

"religious beliefs" are tip of that iceberg.

I would not have scared them and made them run away. You like to scare children also I assume? Looking forward to meeting you at TED. wink

3. profile image0

You should have been honest. You see no evidence that the world will anytime soon. Don't worry, be happy.

I was surprised they did not see the humor of it.
        good grief.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)