How to get a good CPM?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (33 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image77
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

CPM, as I understand it. is the amount an advertiser pays per 1000 impressions from your hub. I have noticed that the number of impressions that show in the earnings tabs is lower than the number of views. I am guessing that is because a viewer must stay on your hub a certain amount of time for it to count as an impression. Does anyone know more about this?

CPM can have a huge impact on your earnings--I read that it can vary between $2 and $7. Is that correct?  How high or low can it go?  What gets a hubber a good CPM?  What can we do to get a high CPM?

Is there a different CPM for each hub or is the CPM set for the hubber?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Catherine,
      CPM is discussed in this forum where  someone else had asked about it:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/78327

1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
        LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is a good one to explain CPM and earnings.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

General questions are okay, but be specifics of earnings are prohibited in the forums (and elsewhere) so be careful.

From the HubPages terms of use.
      http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

You acknowledge and agree that You will not publicly disclose Your payments or Earned Balance (including any subcomponents thereof) from the HubPages Earnings Program without prior written consent of HubPages.

Does this have anything to do with the link Matthew, because I have not disclosed the other information.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Cathrine: I wish I understood all of this.  I have been playing a bit with Google Keyword planner.  I am going for high cost keywords, with 30,000 or less monthly searches.  My earnings are going up, as is the CPM.

1. Lionrhod profile image78
      Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Is there a way to use the keyword planner without being an advertiser? I don't presently have a website, as mine crashed burned when the bill came due at a bad time. (I need to fix that!)

2. CatherineGiordano profile image77
      CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had never heard of high-cost keywords. Can anyone give more information about what they are, where to find a list, how to use them, etc.

I use a free keyword search.

How?

I use Google Trends.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Lionrhood: All you need is a gmail account.

Catherine:  It is on the Google Adword planner under Suggest bid which is a cost estimate for advertisers. It tells us what advertisers are willing to pay for a keyword.

I can't find it at all. I've been looking for it for months on and off. I keep getting to a page where they insist on my starting a campaign. Any clue what the URL is or where on what page I'd find it?

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Examiner:  Google trends doesn't give you the figures for keyword bids like Google Planner does though does it.

I do not know, I never looked. Only for keywords.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61

The Google Keyword tool no longer exits.  It is now called the Google Keyword planner.
    Personally, I liked the Keyword Tool better than the Google Keyword Planner.

Here is a you tube link to how to use the Google Keyword Planner which I found helpful not only in how to use the Google Keyword Planner, but it goes into competition, bids, search volume too. 

http://youtu.be/wwstmbQDsr8

Catherine: There is no way for us to know what advertisers are paying for their choice in keywords.  We can see the estimates on the Google keyword planner. 
    Here is a twist on those rates we see:

Keyword cost estimate is $5.  That keyword gets 99,000 views per month according to Google Keyword Planner.   We then go to google search and enter either the keyword, or even title of what we want to use for an article, and see a figure like 99, 457, 567  means there is that number of pages in Google search alone that contain that keyword.    Our chances of getting traffic is nil!!!  If we don't get the traffic we earn very little to nothing.

Great video but I cannot GET to the keyword planner or tool. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to get there? Google can't even tell me that. It just sends me to a page that wants me to create and ad, then go to billing and review.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61

https://adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner

You need a gmail address to have a google account because you need an adwords account.

Create account.Once you are in the Google keyword planner, click on tools,  Click on keyword planner from drop down list, then click on search new keyword and adgroup ideas.

3. Lionrhod profile image78
      Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

I finally gave up and called google. They changed the system so that you now have to create an ad campaign (if you're a new user, I believe) before they allow you to see the dashboard.) Very clueless and unhelpful people answering their phones btw.

4. Lionrhod profile image78

Now I'm stoked! Having finally FOUND the darn planner, I've been playing with it and finding some fantastic low competition, high pay keywords that I might actually be able to write articles about and make use of.

Nifty as heck and I can bet this will help my CPM as well as giving me writing inspiration.

Can you tell us how you did it.  I tried and got nowhere also.  I put in my password and the page wouldn't change.

I made a pretend ad, comprising of "ofklfdladkl' (randomly hit keys) set per day cost at $1. Then I immediately deleted that campaign just in case. But it did let me through.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hold your horses!    Remember that planner is designed for advertisers, not writers.  So when it says "low competition", it doesn't mean very few people are writing about it.  It means very few advertisers want to advertise.   

Few advertisers means less competition for ads, which means they won't have to bid as high.

AH! Thank you!

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Lionrhod: Their search numbers are only for monthly searches.  Then there is location, global, United States, a particular state.

Then, how many pages are found on google search engine using that keyword.  Who is your competition on Google search pages?

The bid cost show on the planner are suggestions only.  This does not mean every advertiser is paying this amount, nor do we know how they do their ad campaign. 

On HP, we don't know what each hub is earning. 

A few years ago, I was taught, when using the Keyword tool, look at keywords above $.99, and then there are other factors such as searches, competition, how many pages are in search engine using the keyword of your choice.  Some say go by Global searches while others say go United States searches.

You can also use Google Webmaster tool, look under search queries to see which keywords are being used for searches.

Just keep in mind, if we don't get traffic, that means ads won't be clicked on.  So regardless of what CPM is, without traffic, CPM means nothing.

Yes, but it's nice to know what folks are searching for.

I so much appreciate your wisdom!

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61

That is why I added to put keyword in Google search to see how many pages are on Google which is the real competition.  I have seen low competition for high paying keywords as well.

First step is to learn about keywords and how to choose them for SEO.  Writerfox does SEO hubs.  Greekgeek has done SEO articles in the past.   There are some others that have written good articles on SEO, Keywords, but I can't remember all of them.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Lionrhod: You don't have to create ads at all.  Just click on tools at top of page then you will get drop down for keyword planner and click, then another box click on search for new keyword and group ideas.   The video shows you all of this.

It's a new thing. They no longer allow you to get to the planner unless you go thru as many steps as they like of creating an account and signing up. Sleazy? Yes.
        I asked the lady on the phone how I could create an ad w/o accessing the keyword planner. She had no idea.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Wrylilt does SEO articles as well.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61

It is Free carny to anyone with google and ad words account.

10. LindaSmith1 profile image61

You have to sign up for google adwords, but you don't have to create ads, pay for anything. It is a free tool.

When it was the Google Keyword tool, you still had to sign up for Google Adwords.

There is nothing sleezy about it.

You had to sign up for Hub pages and meet certain requirements to earn income here too! 

So what is sleezy about it!

11. Lionrhod profile image78

lol maybe not then - the didn't actually collect my credit card. I just don't trust them to not charge my account on an ad for kjkljjrd.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)